What do you think is the highest mtyhic plus I can handle based on my gear (BrM)?

Based on my armory what is the highest mythic I would be capable of doing? Trying to challenge myself and start tanking mythic plus but wanted to see where my cap is based on gear.

My armory link

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mofoe View Post
    Based on my armory what is the highest mythic I would be capable of doing? Trying to challenge myself and start tanking mythic plus but wanted to see where my cap is based on gear.

My armory link
    A. M+ is not only tank dependant, but also all other dependant - if you have crap dps'ers, you will struggle; if you have a crap healer you will struggle; if you want to set some level for yourself, you need to count all the party in; if you go with guys who usually sell boosts, your gear won't matter ...
    having said that - you should be cool for the 5-7ens, maybe even 8 imo

B. just go and see how you will do, remember we all started M+ with some 840ish gear and NO AP/AK (compared to today)

C. lower M+ are a relatively nice way to ease your entry into M+ tanking

Go, smash their faces and take their lewt while having fun with the brews

858 ilvl? You're lucky if you manage to find a +3 group.
    /sarcasm

As has already been said, in M+ everyone has to be decent or you will end up depressed. Do some lower runs until you get a hang on your abilities and what trash gives you problems.

I could pretty easily heal you up to 9 if you know how to play right. After that you'd want carry dps.

10+ Year Old Account
    Good BrM tanks are 90% user skill and 10% ilvl.

If you think you know when to use your Brews and CDs as well as know which trash packs to pull/avoid etc, then you can go to +10 with relatively no problem.

If you are new to the zone or to tanking, then you could die in a +2.
    "It's not what we don't know that gets us into trouble; it's what we know for sure that just ain't so." ~ Mark Twain
    "The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time" ~ Jesus of Nazareth
    "把它放在我的屁股,爸爸" ~ Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by Mofoe View Post

My armory link
    You have no enchants, no gems, and gear seems tuned for DPS more than tanking. BRM is more about skill than gear, but slacking on the absolute basics will cause way more stress on the healers and the group, as you will dive way lower than a regular tank, despite your stagger.

Get enchants and gems, get into a +2 and try pulling a large amount of trash, 6-7 or so and see how your health dips. If you go below 50% within the first second or two, retune your gear for a bit more survival and start practicing brew usage. If you see your healthy slowly trickling down and your stagger bar going up at a steady pace, you can easily go to +4 or +5 and gauge your tanking in the same way.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by satanicsuture View Post
    You have no enchants, no gems, and gear seems tuned for DPS more than tanking. BRM is more about skill than gear, but slacking on the absolute basics will cause way more stress on the healers and the group, as you will dive way lower than a regular tank, despite your stagger.

Get enchants and gems, get into a +2 and try pulling a large amount of trash, 6-7 or so and see how your health dips. If you go below 50% within the first second or two, retune your gear for a bit more survival and start practicing brew usage. If you see your healthy slowly trickling down and your stagger bar going up at a steady pace, you can easily go to +4 or +5 and gauge your tanking in the same way.
    I've managed to tank 7-9's on my paladin @865 but with a guild group however, paladins take way more spiky damage to BrM's. Once you have a decent healer i'd aim for 3-5

Quote Originally Posted by Erebzion View Post
    I've managed to tank 7-9's on my paladin @865 but with a guild group however, paladins take way more spiky damage to BrM's. Once you have a decent healer i'd aim for 3-5
    Paladins are completely different. I've tanked +2's without a healer just because of the Paladin toolkit. At 865 you still have several very strong mitigation spells (20% or above on almost every one) and you have an insanely strong self heal simply because Blizzard for some reason intended Paladins to use their health as a resource when mitigation runs out.

Brewmasters are masters at smoothing the damage, but in terms of short term mitigation we don't really have much more than dodge and stagger. I suppose Firebreath can be counted as one but it's 6-10% damage reduction based on relics and it's a short duration with a long CD. Once you get geared with mastery and versatility a Brew can handle very high content by playing smart, but from the gear on his armory I'd say he's mostly focused on DPS and not as much on surviving.

Deleted
    Paladins are completely different. I've tanked +2's without a healer just because of the Paladin toolkit. At 865 you still have several very strong mitigation spells (20% or above on almost every one) and you have an insanely strong self heal simply because Blizzard for some reason intended Paladins to use their health as a resource when mitigation runs out.

Brewmasters are masters at smoothing the damage, but in terms of short term mitigation we don't really have much more than dodge and stagger. I suppose Firebreath can be counted as one but it's 6-10% damage reduction based on relics and it's a short duration with a long CD. Once you get geared with mastery and versatility a Brew can handle very high content by playing smart, but from the gear on his armory I'd say he's mostly focused on DPS and not as much on surviving.
    Well considering my BrM is main as a mythic raider (albeit i'm 891 geared now) I can tell you Healing Elixirs and Orbs are just as helpful at low hp versus the heals that come from paladin. Having tanked heroics, then mythics, then mythic + at gear levels well below the intended. I can tell you monks are in my eyes...a far easier ride.

I feel like people are overestimating gear a lot. I'd dare to say the absolute basic is rotation. It's just impossible to have the worst stats by the time you hit m+. That plus if you enchant and gems everything on average you get how much haste (for example) ? Both ring can give you +400 haste, you get about let's say 2-3 rocketed item which is 300-450 more haste. That's 850 haste in total, not bad ? You'd say that. But game breaking ? No.

Rotation is first and foremost the most important aspect in the game period.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Raiz View Post
    I feel like people are overestimating gear a lot. I'd dare to say the absolute basic is rotation. It's just impossible to have the worst stats by the time you hit m+. That plus if you enchant and gems everything on average you get how much haste (for example) ? Both ring can give you +400 haste, you get about let's say 2-3 rocketed item which is 300-450 more haste. That's 850 haste in total, not bad ? You'd say that. But game breaking ? No.

Indeed, I mean gear makes life easier of course and giving the nature of BoC will help improve rotation but gameplay is what drags a player up versus harder content. Once you understand your limits of pushing and have a solid healer, you'll be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Erebzion View Post
    Well considering my BrM is main as a mythic raider (albeit i'm 891 geared now) I can tell you Healing Elixirs and Orbs are just as helpful at low hp versus the heals that come from paladin. Having tanked heroics, then mythics, then mythic + at gear levels well below the intended. I can tell you monks are in my eyes...a far easier ride.
    Yeah but that proves my point. Healing Elixirs have a rather long cooldown and it's not used in your regular rotation, it's more of a low HP save. But I also said that by playing smart, a Brew can handle very high content. If you're a mythic raider at 891 then I'm pretty sure you don't do any stupid mistakes when tanking.

I would say that Paladins are way more versatile as tanks, but Brewmasters are more fun and have a higher skillcap, making a great Brewmaster shine. In this case, the OP doesn't seem like he has that type of experience and based on his gear, he wouldn't have that easy ride as mentioned.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Raiz View Post

There was a good ilevel comparison on one of the blizzard forums that came to mind. I don't have the link anymore so can't post it, but it showed how even 3 itemlevels made for a huge difference. So no. Gear isn't overestimated, it's valued correctly. It also goes without saying that we assume the person playing the character is playing the rotation to a good standard.

With the way the game is right now there's no stat that is game breaking. However enchanting and gemming your gear makes the experience way smoother and the higher your gearlevel goes, the easier it is to recover from things like ninjapulls or rotational mistakes. I started doing mythics at 803. Is it doable? Ofcourse it was. But it sure as hell wasn't a smooth ride.

Deleted
    Gear obviously makes a huge difference.

Also a BM tank is nowhere near as self-sustaining as a DK or Pala. I have tanked up to +6 without a healer on my Blood DK, I dont think it would be nearly as easy or even possible on my equally geared Monk.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't agree. quizzle. When I run +6 the incoming damage is laughable. With decent DPS I could possibly manage without a healer. Between healing elixir, healing orbs and celestial fortune and Leg Sweep to control big packs, and clever use of stagger, you can get quite far without a healer. Even our mobility can help us get out of trouble - kiting can be useful for bolstering or raging, and Chi Torpedo combined with keg smash to provide ranged AoE slow allows you to easily make a lot of threat then run away.

For brewmasters, Necrotic is a lot easier to deal with (7+ only); we can drop stacks more easily by clever use of Leg Sweep or Exploding Keg. Though this doesn't apply to all monks, as Draenei, the racial Gift of the Naaru is really nice as well as it scales with HP. We also have Fortifying Brew which is extremely powerful, and when active even bosses that normally truck you start to feel like they tickle, though admittedly it's on a VERY long cooldown. Paralysis is also a handy way to either CC a caster mob at range OR as a pseudo-interrupt to delay a dangerous spellcast from going off.

In fact Monk sustain on lower keystones is actually quite amazing because when you outgear stuff, even without a healer it's quite easy to hover HP around the 30-40% mark, resulting in constant triggers of Obstinate Determination. If you use Expel Harm the moment an orb appears, there's a high chance you immediately heal above 35%, putting you in a position to trigger another orb, rinse, repeat.

As an aside, my personal preference for using Healing Elixir is to float 1 charge whenever I dip below 76% health (not 85%, to account for the fact Healing Elixir can trigger CF) and leave the second charge to trigger automatically in an emergency. By keeping at least 1 charge recharging at all times I am getting more overall throughput from this ability. Depending on the situation some players may wish to save both charges for an emergency instead, but if you're talking about lower level runs, just float 1 charge for maximum throughput.
    Last edited by Will; 2016-12-23 at 02:34 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post
    I don't agree. quizzle. When I run +6 the incoming damage is laughable. With decent DPS I could possibly manage without a healer. Between healing elixir, healing orbs and celestial fortune and Leg Sweep to control big packs, and clever use of stagger, you can get quite far without a healer. Even our mobility can help us get out of trouble - kiting can be useful for bolstering or raging, and Chi Torpedo combined with keg smash to provide ranged AoE slow allows you to easily make a lot of threat then run away.

For brewmasters, Necrotic is a lot easier to deal with (7+ only); we can drop stacks more easily by clever use of Leg Sweep or Exploding Keg. Though this doesn't apply to all monks, as Draenei, the racial Gift of the Naaru is really nice as well as it scales with HP. We also have Fortifying Brew which is extremely powerful, and when active even bosses that normally truck you start to feel like they tickle, though admittedly it's on a VERY long cooldown. Paralysis is also a handy way to either CC a caster mob at range OR as a pseudo-interrupt to delay a dangerous spellcast from going off.

In fact Monk sustain on lower keystones is actually quite amazing because when you outgear stuff, even without a healer it's quite easy to hover HP around the 30-40% mark, resulting in constant triggers of Obstinate Determination. If you use Expel Harm the moment an orb appears, there's a high chance you immediately heal above 35%, putting you in a position to trigger another orb, rinse, repeat.

As an aside, my personal preference for using Healing Elixir is to float 1 charge whenever I dip below 76% health (not 85%, to account for the fact Healing Elixir can trigger CF) and leave the second charge to trigger automatically in an emergency. By keeping at least 1 charge recharging at all times I am getting more overall throughput from this ability. Depending on the situation some players may wish to save both charges for an emergency instead, but if you're talking about lower level runs, just float 1 charge for maximum throughput.
    Couldn't agree more, I only ever keep one healing elixir floating for emergency and otherwise pop one at 60-70% to keep myself topped. Granted I play with the same healers all the time so they know my style of play but it doesn't change much and ultimately find we're perfectly fine, paladins are far more squishy even now with some gear.