Page 3 of 64 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    The Lightbringer
    15+ Year Old Account
    Only way you can live off minimum wage down here is to have a section 8 voucher or have 4 roommates and be on food stamps as the cost of living here is going up in Florida drastically.

Quote Originally Posted by mayhem008 View Post
    Do single males with no kids qualify for section 8 in New Jersey?
    Technically, no.

But I think you knew that.
    It certainly would have helped me out..

Quote Originally Posted by Lemposs View Post
    Okay so found the picture with some more detail, it is how many hours you'd have to work if to not have to use 30 % of your paycheck on your rent.
    Well a lot of places won't rent to you if your rent is more than 1/3 of your income, so it's accurate. What people end up doing however is living with roommates.

They also go without healthcare and savings.

Quote Originally Posted by Gamdwelf View Post
    Honestly I don't believe it.

I think it's very possible for an individual to live off minimum wage comfortably for an extended period of time, if need be.
    Doesn't matter if you believe in it or not. The fact remains that you can't.

Avg 1 bedroom apartment here in Kentucky is around $800. The only way you can pull it off is if you can get the government to take care of the rest.
    Last edited by Jtbrig7390; 2016-12-22 at 02:49 PM.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

Deleted
    Do you know how hard doing Google fu on a phone is?
    Clearly, it is much easier to do no research, and then make allegations that confirm your own delusions. Why not, I mean heck, even the president-elect is doing it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    Well a lot of places won't rent to you if your rent is more than 1/3 of your income, so it's accurate. What people end up doing however is living with roommates.

They also go without healthcare and savings.
    Wait, is that is legal to do?

That you have to work that many hours to afford a 1 bedroom apt by yourself.
    If you do not belive it, just look up the facts.
    If you did though, you'd get something like the pic you just linked so... Whats this about, again?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Super Friendly Kitty Cat View Post
    Of course they can make it on minimum wage. They very fact you don't have hoards of minimum wage workers dying left and right means they are making enough to survive.
    Living the dream.

Mechagnome
    7+ Year Old Account
    The only thing of value I have to add to the conversation is that I live in a town in North Idaho where rent is about 700-800 for a one bedroom apartment in town, and moving down toward 500 out of town but with a 20+ minute commute possibly over mountains, and in the right months, FEET of snow. Not like, omg it snowed a foot last night. But more like, omg it snowed a foot every night for a week and I can't find my Ford Focus.

Minimum wage is 7.25

That's just over 1,100 a month for a month of 40 hour days.

You have to understand that when we talk about minimum vs. living wage, the discussion is NOT about working 20 hours overtime every paycheck. If you count overtime, effectively, your hourly pay has been raised.

How does one pay $500-800 (at the minimum) and then survive on $300 a month COMFORTABLY?
    Anything worth doing is worth over-doing. Moderation's for cowards.

Quote Originally Posted by Super Friendly Kitty Cat View Post
    Of course they can make it on minimum wage. They very fact you don't have hoards of minimum wage workers dying left and right means they are making enough to survive.
    No it means they are living with others and therefor are not on there own. You can not live on your own on minimum wage and the intent of minimum wage is to be liveable on your own.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.

Quote Originally Posted by mayhem008 View Post
    Do single males with no kids qualify for section 8 in New Jersey?
    Probably not, believe the sites I'm looking at says you have to be in a "family" but doesn't define further than that without diving into the actual laws.

A look at the section 8 housing site has an apartment available from where I was living for $1800...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    It's pretty obvious nonsense for a number of reasons that have probably been pointed out already. The NY one is particularly stupid as it seems to be predicated heavily on an average that's weighted towards NYC without any of the relevant consideration for regional differences. The quoted hours figure there results in an income of ~$37K/year. Does anyone seriously mean to assert that they believe affording a one bedroom apartment in Buffalo or Rochester on $37K/year would be remotely challenging?
    Oh? Can you magically take you better paying job from NYC out to other cities? Very interesting.

To not rent to you due to income requirements? Yup sure is.

10+ Year Old Account
    There's something in the water... Florida
    No peple cant live on minimum wage without government assistance or multiple jobs. I make 20k a year and i cant afford to live by myself. Between insurance rent utilities and food i dont make enough to repair the car if it breaks down someone making 16k with kids must have it much worse.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    MMO-C, where a shill for Putin cares about democracy in the US.

Yes, the apartment I am in (with my GF) requires you to make 2x the amount of what the rent is.

Our rent is around $730, It would be higher but we are on the old rate we took over after her mom died. We have the most cheap apartment rate out of everyone here.

On the current rate it would be around $810 give or take.

Quote Originally Posted by Nihilist74 View Post
    If you have to work 61-79 hours a week to survive, than you are basically living the life of a slave.
    Sht. Capitalist OP can't believe that so it's not true.
    -=Z=- Satan represents vengeance instead of turning the other cheek! -=Z=-
    https://bdsmovement.net/

10+ Year Old Account
    can i deny someone because they are a draenei?
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    According to Politifact
    Minimum wage means most 2-bedroom apartments are out of reach...

---------------

2-bedrooms...hmf...

Quite frankly if you think you can afford to make it on minimum wage, then you're either stupid, still live at home (Mom's basement is still that), no experience with real life, or you're tapping "low income housing" which typically means a slum/ghetto that you would never set foot into but seem to imagine that can be part of the argument because it's good for "someone else" other than you.
    The disconnect here, I believe, is that some people don't believe minimum wage should be a livable wage. So you have to first argue out the reason why every job in America, no matter how easy or stupid it is, should pay you enough to do that for the rest of your life. That should it be your only contributing point to society, you deserve to "have" because of it.

Second, there are some nuiances to your report, which is why at the bottom it says:
    We rate the claim Mostly True.
    Third, the feds like to institute rules acrossed the entire country that do not affect different parts of the country the same. I'm perfectly fine with Seattle, Washington raising it's minimum wage. I'm entirely fine with their local politicians running on platforms of increasing their minimum wage locally. If they want to attract more low skilled workers, by all means, create that influx of people in your area. I for one, believe this is a local issue, not a federal one. If there is a federal one, it should be based on the cheapest areas to live in the country, not the most expensive. Applying regulations fit for a metropolitan area to a small town will kill those small town businesses, which have their own working local economies.

15+ Year Old Account
    OP, eating instant ramen for 3 meals a day may sound cool cause it happens in the anime, but let me tell you, your sodium levels will shoot through the roof and you'll have a heart attack at the age of 35.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

Deleted
    Boy that is some odd law, but I guess it makes sense since they'd be considered risky renters.

What about something like students, what do they do?