Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by alzoron View Post
    The great thing about those checkboxes on school and job applications for race/ethnicity is that you can check whichever ones you want to. If you think <insert race/ethnicity>has an advantage in the application process then by all means check it.
    They might ask a few questions when you come for the interview

race shouldn't be considered. the application shouldn't require it and the admissions office shouldn't ask for it.

video submissions would present a problem i guess

I find Tucker Carlson's hypocrisy on affirmative action quite hilarious. He clearly supports the Electoral College, meaning he has no problem tilting the balance in order to favor a specific group of people. That's the thing with pundits, they are paid to push an agenda, not be logically consistent.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by satimy View Post
    So it is ok to discriminate racially as long as it promotes "diversity"? Is that your position?
    Do you think it's acceptable to discriminate based on population density? How is that any different than discriminating by race? The Electoral college is discrimination and affirmative action, so that must mean you think Hillary should be the president-elect right now, correct?

To all the people who are shocked and horrified that people aren't getting in despite scoring X points more:

Get over it. Standardized test scores are not the most important part of an application, and this becomes more true the higher up the education ladder you go. It's usually either a filter or a tie breaking tool. There's a reason college applications require letters of rec, courses taken, and community service among other things. People who spend copious amounts of time trying to get the highest score on these exams are literally wasting their time. Being a walking dictionary or a walking calculator is a rather useless skill in college.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    I like Tucker Carlson. One of the several Fox News commentators has which has them the number one rated News Network for over a decade now. I know, the great majority of the viewers are older, mature people who usually have a high turn out rate in elections.
    People also watched Baywatch, the Jersey Shore, and the Kardashians. That doesn't exactly make it quality. All it does, is show that there's no shortage of ignorant people in this world.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    I like Tucker Carlson. One of the several Fox News commentators has which has them the number one rated News Network for over a decade now. I know, the great majority of the viewers are older, mature people who usually have a high turn out rate in elections.
    Reminder that age does not imply wisdom.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

10+ Year Old Account
    Didn't UCLA do away with affirmative action and ended up with with 50% Asian enrollment? Like it or not affirmative action is helping out whites too.

Quote Originally Posted by Tonus View Post
    SATs are the only common thing we can judge students on. It's a statistical measure that attempts to be unbiased (although some bias certainly exists). It's the best statistic they have and it's really the only one that is applied universally. Seems like a good stat to use. It's imperfect but honestly a huge gap like that one seems pretty convincing that the difference is more than just a biased test.

And by the way, there's no way it's 540 points. The SAT is out of 1600 so if every Asian got a 1600, that would mean the average score for African Americans is 1060. You'll have a tough time getting into a lot of state colleges with a 1060. But I saw another study that said 280 points and that sounds plausible - every Asian has to have a near perfect score and African Americans have a shot around 12-1300.

That said, your claim that "nothing else about them (the Asians) stands out" has absolutely no backing. Are you arguing that absent race, black students get in because they tend to have other, non-SAT related accomplishments to a greater degree then Asians? Because I find that very difficult to believe. Reminds me of the old joke that all the minorities claimed they wrote really good admissions essays.

My personal opinion on affirmative action is conflicted - on the one hand, giving people advantages they didn't earn creates a ton of bias (ask anyone who's worked at a company that works hard to retain underperforming minorities to keep their stats up - I've worked in two and it sucks). On the other hand, African Americans are in a really messed up place as a culture right now, and it does seem like they're having trouble breaking the cycle. Personally, I'd prefer to implement policies that make it easier for low income families to have and raise children because I think that's unbiased and I think part of the problem right now is the limited opportunity for a low income person to even be a parent. But I'm not sure that will work either, just because there's a lot of pressure for people to stay within their own culture, starting from a very young age when the black kids sit with the black kids and the white kids with the white. When something becomes that systemic there may be an argument that something extreme (and I view affirmative action as an extreme measure) is necessary.
    So...what about the states that take the ACT instead of the SAT?

http://blog.prepscholar.com/which-st...equire-the-sat

You don't even have agreement on which of the two tests to take, how can you say that one of them is the best way to compare applicants when there's a large portion of them that don't even take it because their state still uses the ACT instead?

Quote Originally Posted by Clone View Post
    Didn't UCLA do away with affirmative action and ended up with with 50% Asian enrollment? Like it or not affirmative action is helping out whites too.
    All of CA public schools are not allowed to use race, sex or ethnicity as part of their acceptance criteria. Yes, it has lead to an increase in the size of the Asian student body, and (suprisingly) Chicano/Latino students also. African American and Caucasian student numbers dropped considerably.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Garnier Fructis View Post
    Reminder that age does not imply wisdom.
    Of itself, that is true. But age does give us experience and most people learn from their mistakes and improve. Of course some never learn and keep on doing the same dumb shit. But the old saying, "Age brings wisdom" I think is basically true. Which explains why we have laws which do govern what we can do and such based on our age.

Affirmative action probably is no longer needed. At least in most areas. Would probably be safe to repeal it at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    I find Tucker Carlson's hypocrisy on affirmative action quite hilarious. He clearly supports the Electoral College, meaning he has no problem tilting the balance in order to favor a specific group of people. That's the thing with pundits, they are paid to push an agenda, not be logically consistent.

- - - Updated - - -

Do you think it's acceptable to discriminate based on population density? How is that any different than discriminating by race? The Electoral college is discrimination and affirmative action, so that must mean you think Hillary should be the president-elect right now, correct?
    How is the electoral college discrimination or affirmative action?

Quote Originally Posted by Wyrt View Post
    Affirmative action probably is no longer needed. At least in most areas. Would probably be safe to repeal it at this point.
    CA did exactly that with Prop 209 in 1996. Twenty years later, white students are now at 20 – 25% at most campuses. Down from a high of 46%. Asian is at an all time high of 40 -50%. Latino is not doing too bad at 15 – 20%.

The Unstoppable Force Theodarzna's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Without his bow tie he has shirked his legacy and forsaken is duty to this nation, he should be exiled for treason.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    i think I have my posse filled out now. Mars is Theo, Jupiter is Vanyali, Linadra is Venus, and Heather is Mercury. Dragon can be Pluto.
    On MMO-C we learn that Anti-Fascism is locking arms with corporations, the State Department and agreeing with the CIA, But opposing the CIA and corporate America, and thinking Jews have a right to buy land and can expect tenants to pay rent THAT is ultra-Fash Nazism. Bellingcat is an MI6/CIA cut out. Clyburn Truther.

Quote Originally Posted by Tonus View Post
    Your concern is only valid if you think that using only the population of SAT takers somehow biases the result. I find that extremely unlikely.
    You said SATs are the only common thing we can use, which ignores the fact that A) There is at least one other metric we can use (ACT scores) to compare and B) Since there's a large swath of the population that uses the ACT instead of the SAT (the only way to take the SAT at my high school was to pay for it entirely out of pocket, but the ACT was free) so using that as the only metric places a huge burden on students who live in ACT states (not to mention the fact that, depending on where a college or university is located, they're also more likely to be concerned about ACT scores instead of SAT scores).

But the real kicker is that, especially with Ivy-league schools, SAT and ACT scores only act as a way to filter the slew of applications they get. You could get a perfect score on them but that won't get you into Harvard. In fact, more and more, what you did in school is far more important then how you did in school. You could be a 4.0 student, but if you don't have a bunch of extra-curricular activities, community involvement, etc, then it doesn't matter how good your score is.

It's all about what sort of combination you have of all of those. Do you just barely meet the SAT/ACT score but were class president, did a lot of volunteer work, and were captain of the debate team? Then guess what, you have a good chance at getting in! Did you ace the SAT/ACT but only play 1 sport and nothing else? You might get in, but you're not as appealing as the other applicant. Like it or not, standardized test scores are less and less important to admissions offices because they're good at testing whether you know the information, but not whether you understand it. Hell there's more and more psychologists arguing that they're actually pretty awful at measuring what a student knows.

10+ Year Old Account
    This Asian guy who has a Harvard degree already reminds me of the South African crayfish joke.

A guy walks past a market and sees masses of crayfish in a basket and there is no lid on the crate.
    Asks the fisherman - "Why is there no lid? Won't they get out?"
    Fisherman replies - "No, these are South African crayfish. Whenever one tried to climb up and out, another one pulls him back down"

Quote Originally Posted by theWocky View Post
    A guy walks past a market and sees masses of crayfish in a basket and there is no lid on the crate.
    Asks the fisherman - "Why is there no lid? Won't they get out?"
    Fisherman replies - "No, these are South African crayfish. Whenever one tried to climb up and out, another one pulls him back down"
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crab_mentality

Reason we're not exploring the galaxy together really
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

Quote Originally Posted by satimy View Post
    How is the electoral college discrimination or affirmative action?
    How is it not?

It gives certain voters a competitive advantage by making their votes count for more. A vote in Wyoming is three times more valuable than a vote in Texas or California. It's almost as if the government has decided that a specific class of people are disadvantaged by the society around them, and want to use the government to try and balance the playing field. The Electoral College is affirmative action that allows for a candidate with lower scores (Trump) to win. Surely you would think that since Clinton had the better scores (votes), that she should be president, and not the "less-qualified" candidate.

Lucky for me, I don't support affirmative action in any form, you should try being logically consistent. Tucker Carlson is a hypocrite, and you shouldn't follow in his footsteps.

Deleted
    Affirmative Action needs to go away already.

Blatant racism.

Quote Originally Posted by Taftvalue View Post
    Affirmative Action needs to go away already.

Blatant racism.
    So, you support getting rid of the Electoral College, since it is clearly no different than affirmative action?