Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Competitive frustration

Okay, first off, I'm not the best player in Overwatch, I admit that.

I did my season 3 placement games and ended up at around 1450, which quickly climbed to 1810 in a few weeks. But since yesterday I've been losing four out of five games consistently (and I played 15+), which placed me at 1610 now, a whopping 200 less than what I was.

It's supposed to fluctuate a bit, I'm guessing, but isn't this a bit much?!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Anciena View Post

I did my season 3 placement games and ended up at around 1450, which quickly climbed to 1810 in a few weeks. But since yesterday I've been losing four out of five games consistently (and I played 15+), which placed me at 1610 now, a whopping 200 less than what I was.

I bought the game on the black Friday sales. Did the placement for ranked last week and got silver, 1800 or something. Since then i've won 2 matches, drew 2 and lost over 10. I did some research and found the current meta seems to be 2-3 tanks so i got good with Rein. All the matches I lose involve people seemingly not knowing/caring what people say they should play and i end up being 1 tank on a team of 5 DPS.

It's not really unusual to have a 200 point change if you've played 15+ games considering how much SR you receive/lose for the outcome. I know lose streaks feel really sucky at the time but progression is anything but linear in this game, there's going to be some lose streaks and some win streaks. Past that, if you realise that you're not the best player, where do you think you belong rank wise with your current skill level? It's easy to find reasons for losses, particularly in regards to teammates at your mmr, but if you're finding it hard to climb it may mean you're supposed to be there.

Quote Originally Posted by Steik View Post
    I bought the game on the black Friday sales. Did the placement for ranked last week and got silver, 1800 or something. Since then i've won 2 matches, drew 2 and lost over 10. I did some research and found the current meta seems to be 2-3 tanks so i got good with Rein. All the matches I lose involve people seemingly not knowing/caring what people say they should play and i end up being 1 tank on a team of 5 DPS.
    Few things. The triple tank meta only really works at high SR and generally in a full 6 stack. In solo q and lower in ranks ignore the meta entirely. The meta only works with well organized teams not 6 random people. Use a dps hero you are good with, something you can kill 3-4 people with at almost any given time and you will begin to climb.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Senistian View Post
    Few things. The triple tank meta only really works at high SR and generally in a full 6 stack. In solo q and lower in ranks ignore the meta entirely. The meta only works with well organized teams not 6 random people. Use a dps hero you are good with, something you can kill 3-4 people with at almost any given time and you will begin to climb.
    I'd agree if it wasn't for the fact every enemy team i have faced has been at least 2-2-2 so it's not only high SR.

Quote Originally Posted by Elevyn View Post
    It's not really unusual to have a 200 point change if you've played 15+ games considering how much SR you receive/lose for the outcome. I know lose streaks feel really sucky at the time but progression is anything but linear in this game, there's going to be some lose streaks and some win streaks. Past that, if you realise that you're not the best player, where do you think you belong rank wise with your current skill level? It's easy to find reasons for losses, particularly in regards to teammates at your mmr, but if you're finding it hard to climb it may mean you're supposed to be there.
    Well, around 1800-2000, nothing higher than that really. I usually play D.Va and don't die that often but in the fights I lose I'm usually gold eliminations, gold damage, gold objective kills, etc. It's usually the fights that there's a Bastion on offense getting killed every 20 seconds that keeps running back to rinse and repeat. It's the kind of fights where there's one tank (me) and the rest simply REFUSE to play a healer or a tank. Suffice to say we get blitzed and lose, yet again. I've tried the better part of 5 hours straight now to get back to 1800 but the highest I've gotten is 1690, and as of the time of writing I'm back to 1608.

Isn't this something I've heard of before, wasn't it named.. ELO or something?

10+ Year Old Account
    These are the most important 3 things:

1) Make sure your team always has at least 2 tanks. Tanks are absurdly strong right now, especially at lower ranks. And make sure you communicate with your team in a friendly manner if you want them to switch heroes. You don't have to have a pro meta comp of Lucio-Ana-Reinhardt-Dva-Roadhog-Soldier, but just make sure you have 2 tanks.
    2) Don't be toxic. Having a toxic player on your team decreases your chances of winning. The more you play the more you'll realize this. If you ever get frustrated just take a short break from the game, it really helps.
    3) Group up. Bring all 6 players into each team fight and never trickle in after dying if your team is getting wiped. Wait on your team mates to respawn by communicating in voice chat or even spamming "Group up" if you have to.
    HEROES NEVER DIE

Quote Originally Posted by Trollfat View Post

1) Make sure your team always has at least 2 tanks. Tanks are absurdly strong right now, especially at lower ranks. And make sure you communicate with your team in a friendly manner if you want them to switch heroes. You don't have to have a pro meta comp of Lucio-Ana-Reinhardt-Dva-Roadhog-Soldier, but just make sure you have 2 tanks.
    2) Don't be toxic. Having a toxic player on your team decreases your chances of winning. The more you play the more you'll realize this. If you ever get frustrated just take a short break from the game, it really helps.
    3) Group up. Bring all 6 players into each team fight and never trickle in after dying if your team is getting wiped. Wait on your team mates to respawn by communicating in voice chat or even spamming "Group up" if you have to.
    Yeah, I know all those, except the players I'm grouped with don't seem to. Played a bit more and down to 1500 now.. this is ridiculous.

Guess the only thing I can do is not solo queue? Where can I find likeminded players lol..

Quote Originally Posted by Trollfat View Post

This works. Unfortunately at low ranks nearly all people ingores this and most soloq and don't give a fuck about the game.

Under 2.5k (last season, i don't know how it has shifted now) all games are pretty bad - either 4 minute steamrolls or people leaving, no healer/tank and so on.

It's not about the number. It's about having fun games which basically never happens.

- - - Updated - - -

Guess the only thing I can do is not solo queue? Where can I find likeminded players lol..
    This. But i don't have time nor the will to commit to another schedule, so i shelved the game despite being hella good.
    Non ti fidar di me se il cuor ti manca.

Yeah... I also don't get (at all) why Blizzard wouldn't implement a system where you SR could increase even if you lost the game. Depending on your performance in the game, surely your actual "skillrating" would improve if you've done a good job. Even if you carry your team but they just cannot be arsed or don't know what they're doing, you get punished for it, severely. That to me, is wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Senistian View Post
    Just no..just because you can't appreciate the strength of tanks that doesn't means their strengt changes at whatever bracket you play.

If you play like this just because its a lower bracket then you will always stay at that bracket. Aim for a 10/10 but accept a 8/10, if your goal is a 6/10 then don't be surprised if you only get a 4/10.

Recently I've won a match where defense and attack was in both cases a non contest (2000 ranking or something). We couldn't defend against the other team and during the attack they couldn't defend against us. In the 4e round when they attacked managed to convince my team to go 3 tanks and they never got pass the bridge with their payload.

Yeah... I also don't get (at all) why Blizzard wouldn't implement a system where you SR could increase even if you lost the game. Depending on your performance in the game, surely your actual "skillrating" would improve if you've done a good job. Even if you carry your team but they just cannot be arsed or don't know what they're doing, you get punished for it, severely. That to me, is wrong.
    Because then people find out how to cheese those numbers and stop focusing as much on trying to win.
    Quote Originally Posted by True Anarch View Post
    Never claimed I was a genuis.
    Quote Originally Posted by Furitrix View Post
    I don't give a fuck if cops act shitty towards people, never have.

ELO or something?
    ELO hell indeed.

Blizzard should implent a system likewise to the one of LoL, queue'ing based on role you choose.
    A 2-2-2 setup (mostly for soloQ) and a Free-for-all (For the braindead, or pre-made groups).

Had another few games today. A few were complete and utter victories where the other team didn't know what they were doing. Others were utter losses, where we start with D.Va (me), a soldier, a genji, a torbjorn, a hanzo and a widow. Not just in spawn but they actually run out like that. I then swap to Lucio as there's little else I can do but they they're so spread out (literally overextending and on all sides of the point) that there's nothing to heal. Politely asking for someone to swap to atleast one tank and stick together and preferably have two healers is something they just simply ignore.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Post View Post
    Because then people find out how to cheese those numbers and stop focusing as much on trying to win.
    No, I get that. But their placement matches make use of a similar system. I for one fucked up my placements as I was quite new to the game and figured "oh, I've got inifinite ammo, let's spray even if nobody is there, you never know if they'll show up". I'm not saying it would increase by much, but it wouldn't drop you down much either. Let's say up until SR 2000 this system would be implemented, not for Gold and up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Let's say up until SR 2000 this system would be implemented, not for Gold and up.
    I was gold.... once. Then I played a few rounds with some friends and dropped to the 1400s where I seem unable to escape. Seems like every game someone plays to lose or disconnects.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

This happens at all ratings. I go between 3300 and 3700 on a daily basis. Every now and then i'll poke the top end up a bit higher. If i do terribly one day (usually an access amount of troll games) i'll go lower. Curryshot for example, is a grandmaster top 500 player. He dropped down to 3600 SR live in a single stream session due to trolls.

And yes, thats what you are - trolls. If you play hanzo on attack, you are a troll. If you play widowmaker on attack, you are a troll. You are not a FaZe clan member, you are not 'l33t' you are not going to make double sniper attack into winston DVa work. End off.

If your hanzo pick into triple tank fails and you then swap into a sombra, you are a troll.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sitting on 2400 and don't get up or down. I usually play with two mates so 50% are random players which doesn't communicate well (with exceptions).
    It's high noon.
    Personality: INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Sliske View Post
    This happens at all ratings. I go between 3300 and 3700 on a daily basis. Every now and then i'll poke the top end up a bit higher. If i do terribly one day (usually an access amount of troll games) i'll go lower. Curryshot for example, is a grandmaster top 500 player. He dropped down to 3600 SR live in a single stream session due to trolls.

And yes, thats what you are - trolls. If you play hanzo on attack, you are a troll. If you play widowmaker on attack, you are a troll. You are not a FaZe clan member, you are not 'l33t' you are not going to make double sniper attack into winston DVa work. End off.

If your hanzo pick into triple tank fails and you then swap into a sombra, you are a troll.
    TBH if you pick the following characters at any point your a troll

Bastion, Torb, Widow, Sym, Hanzo and 90% of the Genji players (since they can't pull Genji off).

Sure it may work 2 out of 10 matches but if you're opponent has trouble with any of these characters then it's not because your good but because they are bad.

Was grouped in 2450, made it to 2700 pretty fast, since the last patch I've lost what seems like 9 out of 10 games. I'm 2450 again now. Had a game with 2 golds on our team and enemies with 2 diamonds, rest were plat. Nice logics Blizzard

That sounds a bit low, do you have your monitor turned on?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sassafrass View Post
    It's a Horde symbol but the middle part can also be called the "Eye" of the zone (AZSHARA), it's a play on words
    No, it is happening. The zone changed, it belongs to the Goblins now and is their home. Hearthstone is having a mechanical themed expansion soon, November's cardback is Goblin influenced and revealed concept art shows Goblin machinery. It's a HS expansion, sorry.