Any Spider-Man comic book fans?

Hey!
    I was thinking about picking up some comic books to read, and thought to go back to Spider-Man from my childhood, due to the lack of good content in other media.

So I was planning on doing online reading from #546 Brand New Day and onwards 700, but then go over to books for Amazing Spider Man 2014 The Parker Luck and Spider-Verse and the 2015 Amazing Spider-Man. The only problem im having wrapping my head around is the reboot of the Marvel Universe with the Secret Wars that brings the 616 and 1610 universes together. Do I need to read the main story of Secret Wars to understand Amazing Spider Man 2015, or can I jump directly from Spider-Verse to 2015?

And to clarify, Im only really interested in the main 616 Spider-Man and not the Ultimate universe at all since the TV show was so horrible. So is Secret Wars worth or even mandatory to read solely for 616 Spider-Man and with no interest in other heroes or the Ultimate universe?

Well, I can't speak for ASM specifically(I've read Spidey in the past, and have even read some of the old trades recently, but don't follow him currently), but all the other 2015 books I read I could follow just fine without reading Secret Wars, so I doubt ASM is too different in that regard.

I just recently started reading spider-man again after the shitfest that was One More Day. I cannot articulate how much hate I have for them breaking up MJ and Peter. Renew Your Vows has been awesome though.

You can jump directly into Spider-Man 2015. Theres a time skip anyways and anything different is either never explained or explained in the 2015 series.

i think one more day killed most of the spiderman comic fans.
    Anemo: traveler, Sucrose
    Pyro: Yanfei, Amber, diluc, xiangling, thoma, Xinyan, Bennett
    Geo: Noelle, Ningguang, Yun Jin, Gorou
    Hydro: Barbara, Zingqiu, Ayato
    Cyro: Shenhe, Kaeya, Chongyun, Diona, Ayaka, Rosaria
    Electro: Fischl, Lisa, Miko, Kujou, Raiden, Razor

Quote Originally Posted by Stormcall View Post
    Well, I can't speak for ASM specifically(I've read Spidey in the past, and have even read some of the old trades recently, but don't follow him currently), but all the other 2015 books I read I could follow just fine without reading Secret Wars, so I doubt ASM is too different in that regard.
    So any big changes to the stories are explained in in their separate titles well enough then I guess?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jotaux View Post
    I just recently started reading spider-man again after the shitfest that was One More Day. I cannot articulate how much hate I have for them breaking up MJ and Peter. Renew Your Vows has been awesome though.

You can jump directly into Spider-Man 2015. Theres a time skip anyways and anything different is either never explained or explained in the 2015 series.
    I was never a huge fan of MJ and Peter, although have probably never read any comics they've been married in, so maybe that was better. Heard good things about Renew Your Vows but they are basically telling the same story again in Worldwide from what I could tell from some reviews, so might not be worth getting that one to start with.

Yea I heard 2015 was a good starting point, but since Im gonna start reading before that I thought maybe there were some plots that needed to be connected through Secret Wars. But glad to hear I'll be able to save some money then.

Quote Originally Posted by Knslyr View Post
    So any big changes to the stories are explained in in their separate titles well enough then I guess?
    There's barely even any changes at all. Like, you could literally pick any of the books I've read up and not realize there even WAS a major event, barring a few minor references to "the world almost ending a few months back" or "yeah, my power levels started to fluctuate a bit during that big apocalypse thing a few months ago".

Read J. Michael Straczynski run on Spiderman including; The Other, Civil War and Back in Black stories and for the change up read Superior Spiderman and the Spider-verse crossover event.

"Would you please let me join your p-p-party?

I was never a huge fan of MJ and Peter, although have probably never read any comics they've been married in, so maybe that was better. Heard good things about Renew Your Vows but they are basically telling the same story again in Worldwide from what I could tell from some reviews, so might not be worth getting that one to start with.
    The renew your vows comic they are putting out monthly is just a continuation of the one shot they did for the recent secret wars. And Spider-man and MJ is the ultimate pairing in comics. Even beats out Lois and Clark.

Quote Originally Posted by Stormcall View Post
    There's barely even any changes at all. Like, you could literally pick any of the books I've read up and not realize there even WAS a major event, barring a few minor references to "the world almost ending a few months back" or "yeah, my power levels started to fluctuate a bit during that big apocalypse thing a few months ago".
    Alright, that seems pretty good then for me, since im not so much into the whole marvel universe and stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Pvt Hudson View Post
    Read J. Michael Straczynski run on Spiderman including; The Other, Civil War and Back in Black stories and for the change up read Superior Spiderman and the Spider-verse crossover event.
    Ah 'The Other' seems to have been just a lil bit before my starting point, so I'll have to hold off on that one for now, otherwise seems interesting. The same goes for 'Back in Black'.
    By civil war you mean this one? https://www.amazon.com/Amazing-Spide.../dp/0785122370

Superior and Spider-Verse is already planned though! Getting the books for Spider-Verse even.
    And seems I'll have to read Back in Black online, as it is pretty expensive on amazon, and not even sold by amazon themself so can't put it together with my other shipments which is already pretty expensive to Sweden.

Civil War comes after The Other but before Back in Black which follows into One More Day.

"Would you please let me join your p-p-party?

10+ Year Old Account
    I used to love Spider-man comics... then 'One More Day' happened and I haven't read since...
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance

Just wanted to add that the Ultimate Spider-Man comic is nothing like the TV Show.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think the best Spider-Man material you could get would be Ditko's run followed by Romita Sr's run.

If I want good Spider-Man read I'll go back to the 85-94 or so era and end it by the start of Clone Saga. Steep downhill almoust ever since.
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

I'll probably start reading from Amazing Fantasy #15 at some point and go through it all from start to end, but right now Im more focused on catching up. Am quite interested how this new version will be. Will probably pick up Spider-Gwen and Silk as well, the first issues and see if any of them are interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Wilian View Post
    If I want good Spider-Man read I'll go back to the 85-94 or so era and end it by the start of Clone Saga. Steep downhill almoust ever since.
    Heh, recently I've been reading a lot of older Spider-Man trades, but I firmly intend to stop once I reach the Clone Saga. That arc pretty much drove me away from Spider-Man for 20 years.

- - - Updated - - -

I'll probably start reading from Amazing Fantasy #15 at some point and go through it all from start to end, but right now Im more focused on catching up. Am quite interested how this new version will be. Will probably pick up Spider-Gwen and Silk as well, the first issues and see if any of them are interesting.
    Spider-Gwen and Silk are both pretty fun. I like Spider-Gwen cause my favorite run on Batgirl was the Stephanie Brown run that Bryan Q. Miller did, and the writing/personality of Spider-Gwen is so damn close in style(and Gwen herself is drawn looking much like Stephanie) that if you put her in a cowl and replaced her webbing with a grapnel line, you basically WOULD be reading a new Steph run.

After 10+ years of reading, I quit post Secret War. It's just not Peter Parker Spider-Man for me anymore.

I hate One More Day dissolving the marriage. Even if you never cared for Peter/MJ as a married couple, having Peter sacrifice his marriage to the devil so his aunt would live is 100% opposite of the Peter Parker that's developed over the years. Compounded with the stupidity is a simple gunshot couldn't be healed by the Fantastic Four or the X-Men. Particularly the X-Men. I don't care that May is old and some gunshot wounds are simply irreparable damage, the X-Men had a mutant at the mansion at the time of this storyline who had a mutant power of literally healing wounds by touching people. >_<

Putting that aside, the current Amazing Spider-Man is basically "What if Bruce Wayne was bitten by a radioactive spider?" as Peter is the CEO of a multi-million dollar company and jetsetting around the world doing Spider-Man stuff. It's like a mix of Bruce Wayne/James Bond version of Spider-Man and it just didn't land with me. Spider-Man still causes Spider-Man problems, but the "Parker luck" seems to no longer be an aspect of things.

I also kind of find they've oversaturated the Spiderverse again with Spider-Man Peter, Spider-Man Miles, Spider-Woman, Silk, and Spider-Gwen all coexisting.

Between that and them butchering everything recognizable of the X-Men, by monthly sub has dwindled down to IDW'S TMNT and TMNT Universe and that's it.

If I get back into buying comics, I'm going backwards and filling in my missing back issues, I think. Very sad.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Orby View Post
    I used to love Spider-man comics... then 'One More Day' happened and I haven't read since...
    I kept reading because I assumed there was a catch. MJ whispered something to Mephisto as a requirement clause, Mephisto stated the deepest part of their heart/soul would still yearn for each other, they'd never be truly happy with anyone else, etc. So I figured eventually it would unravel, but here we are how many years later? Marvel teases it unraveling from time to time, but never do anything with it.
    Last edited by Faroth; 2016-12-23 at 02:39 PM.

I'm currently reading all the main Marvel superhero comics from the Silver Age forward on Marvel Unlimited (because their Golden Age collection is pretty spotty).

I'm up to December 1964. Might take a while to catch up to Brand New Day :P

Early Spider-Man is so far the stand out best title though. Love Spidey.

- - - Updated - - -

It's great, but I'm constantly intimidated by the size of the task I've set myself :P

Reading about two issues a day (only time I really have to read is on the train), a single year of a comic takes about a week to read. Times about 53 years of comics. But actually more than that since Spidey had secondary titles like Spectacular Spider-Man and Marvel Team-Up for most of that time too. So even if I just concentrated on Spidey it'd be like 1-2 years to read the whole thing :P
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

One More Day ruined that comic for me.
    Same with all the crap going on with the X series, that whole No More Mutants arc ruined it for me.
    Want to play SWTOR again and get 7 free days of subscription access + free ingame goodies: http://www.swtor.com/r/d5LnJT

despite their claims. Marvel is totally destroying X-men to spite fox.
    Anemo: traveler, Sucrose
    Pyro: Yanfei, Amber, diluc, xiangling, thoma, Xinyan, Bennett
    Geo: Noelle, Ningguang, Yun Jin, Gorou
    Hydro: Barbara, Zingqiu, Ayato
    Cyro: Shenhe, Kaeya, Chongyun, Diona, Ayaka, Rosaria
    Electro: Fischl, Lisa, Miko, Kujou, Raiden, Razor