Page 44 of 51 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    can't say I was really shocked with how it turned out, but it still sucked to see all those characters not get the development they deserved. plus a sore lacking of lord Vader.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    I've seen rogue one once but I could tell you what costumes they all wore, their previous occupations and their role in the movies incredibly easy. They are all clearly defined characters (in the context of being one off characters doomed to die anyway.) They're a little generic vanilla in their actual characterisation but their story is very individual.
    Comparing them to a new hope characters is asinine, they're in the film for completely different reasons.
    No, you missed the point. The challenge is to describe the character whithout saying what their costumes are, their professions or their role in the movie. I.E. you can easily describe Han Solo as a cocky and a bit sleazy womanizer who comes off initially as selfish and uncaring but deep down is actually a good guy. Could you do the same for the Rogue One cast? Outside of really simple things like Cassian is stern or Chirrut is spiritual, there isn't much more there. Granted even that is better than the prequels where you have characters like Qui-gon and Amidala who have zero actually personalities, but it still isn't all that great.

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Cassian is a stern rebel spy who comes off initially as a coldblooded assassin who follows orders to the letter but deep down he's actually a good guy
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Skizzit View Post
    No, you missed the point. The challenge is to describe the character whithout saying what their costumes are, their professions or their role in the movie. I.E. you can easily describe Han Solo as a cocky and a bit sleazy womanizer who comes off initially as selfish and uncaring but deep down is actually a good guy. Could you do the same for the Rogue One cast? Outside of really simple things like Cassian is stern or Chirrut is spiritual, there isn't much more there. Granted even that is better than the prequels where you have characters like Qui-gon and Amidala who have zero actually personalities, but it still isn't all that great.
    Ah, okay, well then yeah I guess.

Luke is a whiny little prick most of the time. Something like that?

Quote Originally Posted by Sky High View Post
    can't say I was really shocked with how it turned out, but it still sucked to see all those characters not get the development they deserved. plus a sore lacking of lord Vader.
    I kind of liked how they used Vader. If he was in it much more it would have just been a Darth Vader movie instead of the movie on how they stole the death star plans in my opinion. Not to say I wouldn't love a Darth Vader movie, but this movie really wasn't suppose to be that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ok, disclaimer: I've never seen the star wars initial trilogies. I know the lore, I know the characters, I've played a bit of Star Wars MMO although the story is happening way before the two cycles. So I wasn't lost with what was happening in the movie and I could know very well where and who were part of the story.

My TL;DR opinion: Astounding movie that deserves to be seen.

Graphics: 10/10 Beautiful. Visual effects are top of the line - Whether CGI or Post-Process. On top of that, they've made an astounding job of recreating the old-fashioned look of the first three movies, with plastic and clumsy buttons.

Story: 8/10. Without going too deep into the story, it's self-contained. It's easily accessible to people who don't know much about the star wars universe yet it offers plenty to those who know about it. There's also very little story explained in words -- the movie makes a great job of showing, not telling. There were some parts that were a little less interesting, hence the 8. But they're minimal and they won't break your experience.

Acting: 10/10. My immersion hasn't been interrupted once. That includes the non-human actors. Simply astounding.

If you wanted to see a movie, I think Star Wars: Rogue One is something you shouldn't miss. Obviously, you have to like the Star Wars universe or at least stories that happen in a post-modern fantasy.
    Google Diversity Memo
    Learn to use critical thinking: https://youtu.be/J5A5o9I7rnA

Political left, right similarly motivated to avoid rival views
    [...] we have an intolerance for ideas and evidence that don’t fit a certain ideology. I’m also not saying that we should restrict people to certain gender roles; I’m advocating for quite the opposite: treat people as individuals, not as just another member of their group (tribalism)..

Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    Cassian is a stern rebel spy who comes off initially as a coldblooded assassin who follows orders to the letter but deep down he's actually a good guy
    Saw him slightly differently.
    He's a guy that wants to be a good guy, but thinks he's past any redemption. Until he has to pull the trigger on the father of the one person he genuinely has feelings for. When they return to the ship that's what likely made him angry; he didn't pull the trigger and she didn't recognize why. That whole sequence made him human and redeemable.

A lot better than TFA.. only thing i did not like was what they did with Saw Gerrera.

10+ Year Old Account
    Honestly i was surprised with all the characters of the main group dieing. Poor Felicia...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimbold21 View Post
    Honestly i was surprised with all the characters of the main group dieing. Poor Felicia...
    Who is Felicia? If you mean felicity I think she had a contract for another film option but I don't think it's a guarantee. Maybe an origins??

I haven't seen the movie, though I've read spoilers and knew a general bit of what was going to happen anyway. I'll see it someday probably...

My boss happened to be on a Disney cruise during the premiere, so he watched it at this midnight showing thing they did. He said folks were lining up for it, on the ship. He knows some SW, but not a huge fan or anything and didn't know anything about the movie before hand, so we were talking about it.
    "WTF was that movie supposed to be? Who the hell were all these people, was I supposed to know them or something?"
    "Did you watch the whole thing?"
    "No, I was tired and had no clue what was going on, so left before an hour."
    "Well, if it helps, those people all died, they're not important to the overall story, it's just a side story detailing the stuff leading up to the opening of SW4 when Leia's ship is transporting the plans."
    "Oh, well, maybe I'll watch it again some other day, because that makes more sense. They really should explain that shit ahead of time."

Just an amusing side-story.
    "I only feel two things Gary, nothing, and nothingness."

Quote Originally Posted by Svifnymr View Post
    I haven't seen the movie, though I've read spoilers and knew a general bit of what was going to happen anyway. I'll see it someday probably...

My boss happened to be on a Disney cruise during the premiere, so he watched it at this midnight showing thing they did. He said folks were lining up for it, on the ship. He knows some SW, but not a huge fan or anything and didn't know anything about the movie before hand, so we were talking about it.
    "WTF was that movie supposed to be? Who the hell were all these people, was I supposed to know them or something?"
    "Did you watch the whole thing?"
    "No, I was tired and had no clue what was going on, so left before an hour."
    "Well, if it helps, those people all died, they're not important to the overall story, it's just a side story detailing the stuff leading up to the opening of SW4 when Leia's ship is transporting the plans."
    "Oh, well, maybe I'll watch it again some other day, because that makes more sense. They really should explain that shit ahead of time."

Just an amusing side-story.
    Sounds like your boss is kind of a moron. It did start a little slow as it was introducing the audience to the people but man if that's an actual exchange I kinda feel sorry for you for having to work for such an idiot.

10+ Year Old Account
    Your boss is a bit of a melon.

Edit: beaten to it.
    Last edited by draykorinee; 2016-12-25 at 10:26 PM.

So i have a massive disdain for disney, this movie was leaps and bounds fucking better than the travisty that was episode 7. Though i feel the visuals aided in that alot as the story doesnt seem to be more complex than if they told kyle katarns with some extra backstory in the begining.

My issues iv noticed is disney seems to have forgotten that aside from most tie variants most snubfighters have deflector shields, that means xwings have them and ywings for damn sure have them.

And again with the ignorance of hyperspace mechanics, the way they fucking use it in this movie would negate major parts of the original and the second trilogy.

other than that i thought it was a good scifi movie. I think they still could have told kyles story without loosing much and i didnt think they needed to replace Bevel Lemelisk.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeta333 View Post
    My issues iv noticed is disney seems to have forgotten that aside from most tie variants most snubfighters have deflector shields, that means xwings have them and ywings for damn sure have them
    I remember that in Tie Fighter I was able to solo take on wave after wave of X-wings and Y-wings in my deflector-less Tie and I won.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

I remember that in Tie Fighter I was able to solo take on wave after wave of X-wings and Y-wings in my deflector-less Tie and I won.
    tie fighter was long long ago and subjective.

10+ Year Old Account
    I remember Vader popping X-wings like soap bubbles in Episode IV

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, the shields on these things have always been terrible in films. Seeing Poe take down 11 ties in a minute was the worst ever imo. People have a go at Rey being Mary sue but Poe is even more ridiculously overpowered.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Saw the movie today and as some of you have probably read in other threads I very much did not like EP7. But Rogue One. Holy shit what a great fucking movie.

My only complaint is no screencrawl intro. Feltbadman.

- - - Updated - - -

I remember Vader popping X-wings like soap bubbles in Episode IV
    The Force gives Jedi/Sith amazing prowess in spacecraft though. Unless Poe is one of those "holy shit what a pilot!" kind of people, force Wielders will generally outfly anyone given the same training.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    Yeah, the shields on these things have always been terrible in films. Seeing Poe take down 11 ties in a minute was the worst ever imo. People have a go at Rey being Mary sue but Poe is even more ridiculously overpowered.
    11 is not that unbelievable if he is considered a great Pilot. Ties are flown in mass numbers, likely by Pilots that aren't all the best. Given they fly in mass numbers and have no Shields they tend to go down very easily and being flown in large numbers leaves a lot of possible hits with Lasers. He was also talked up a lot in the film to be a great Pilot so you assume he's been doing it for years. Rey went from nothing to Jedi in a span of a day making her a mary sue.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Everything Nice View Post
    I remember a mission in Tie Fighter in which defectors from the empire tried to kill me off by sending me to clear a minefield in a Tie Interceptor which of course didn't have any deflectors as well. Needless to say I cleared that minefield even though it was a bonus objective...