Deleted

Just boosted a DK what to aim for?

Hello! I've been wanting to play a DK for so long and i just now ended up buying a boost to get started with one, my question is (knowing it's really hard to tell since nothing is final etc with the up coming patch) should i go for Frost or Unholy? I'm not up to date at all with the current state of any spec on the PTR just a little on live that Frost is the way to go, so is there any kind soul that might helping me out quickly?!

Merry Xmas
    // Intrilo

Deleted
    Frost/blood is a safe bet.

Why not play both unholy and frost? Since you don't have the limit of specs anymore, but if you aim to tank too for evade the long waiting of dungeons, them focus in frost/blood and them unholy, because the new mastery seems very op and some talents are buffed while frost have received just some buffs for the rune generator thing

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxrokur View Post
    Why not play both unholy and frost? Since you don't have the limit of specs anymore, but if you aim to tank too for evade the long waiting of dungeons, them focus in frost/blood and them unholy, because the new mastery seems very op and some talents are buffed while frost have received just some buffs for the rune generator thing
    Well i was thinking more for AP and Legendary's, I don't wanna get a legendary on let say unholy if frost is and will be superior if u get what i mean. But yeah in the beginning AP won't really matter i guess but a lot of my friends have gotten legendary's on their first day as 110~
    Last edited by mmoc03e64b9c4d; 2016-12-26 at 03:57 AM.

I would say frost is your best bet for dps right now.

Herald of the Titans Dristereau's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Frost is stronger on live right now. Unholy is more fun but requires the Legendary Wrists to perform reasonably. You won't be able to make much progress AP wise before 7.1.5 with the ability to get AK Catch Up on Alts so I would recommend playing what you prefer.

The UN Legendary Wrists are being tuned down and UH is receiving some changes to try and make it slightly less RNG hellish. Hard to say what will be better, especially with the Damage Auras on PTR right now. Having swapped to Frost after struggling with UH to get adequate results I will probably stay Frost (Just got my 5% damage buff).

Play what you prefer. Both have a decent design direction, and fit the class fantasy.
    Dristereau - Axxolentus - Infernus - Sequentia - Nulo - Desterrar

Silvermoon
    - Shadowsong/Aszune - Tarren-Mill/Dentarg (SL Mage Tower: 29/36
    )

Deleted
    Honestly, if you cared about being competitive at all (and by this, I mean Mythic raiding, or at the very least Heroic), you wouldn't have boosted a DK to begin with. Just try out both specs and see what you have the most fun with. The difference between both specs isn't big enough for you to care about patch notes and stuff like that, if it was, you wouldn't be playing a DK right now. For everything else than high end raiding and M+, the balance differences are too small for the vast majority of players to care.

As for personal opinion, Unholy is more fun but Frost is more useful. Unholy has nice gameplay while Frost is a bit easier and braindead, but I'd say Frost is more satisfying to play and has better animations. It's all a matter of personal opinion, but both are fun, just try them out.

Quote Originally Posted by Intrilo View Post
    Well i was thinking more for AP and Legendary's, I don't wanna get a legendary on let say unholy if frost is and will be superior if u get what i mean. But yeah in the beginning AP won't really matter i guess but a lot of my friends have gotten legendary's on their first day as 110~
    Nah, the unholy legendary is not anymore"important" in the next patch and the new legendary of frost while increase a good damage is not something like: omg i have to grind this legendary right now, for know if you don't have any friend who like to tank or be healer and you want to gear up quickly then put some points in blood and later in frost or unholy if you like a lot more that spec. But for what are you aiming my friend? If you want to raid with your dk, then for now just farm AP and build AK in frost.

What's more fun is subjective. Frost is the better dps spec in live by a large margin. Blood is good at m+ the unholy vs frost rankings may change come 7.1.5 but right now frost is on top and as a result is way more fun and easier to play.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Skazord View Post
    Honestly, if you cared about being competitive at all (and by this, I mean Mythic raiding, or at the very least Heroic), you wouldn't have boosted a DK to begin with.
    When you are saying competitive how do you mean? Like top guild raiding~ ? And no i just made it to have it as an alt to do some m+/alt guild runs/ pvp with for now.

Deleted
    When you are saying competitive how do you mean? Like top guild raiding~ ? And no i just made it to have it as an alt to do some m+/alt guild runs/ pvp with for now.
    Like I said, if you're not at the very least doing Mythic raiding (and I'm not even talking top 100 stuff, just Mythic progression in general, at the very least), you shouldn't be too picky about what you play in terms of performance. Odds are, you won't be needing to squeeze out every little last drop of the class you're playing to do the content you're going to be doing with it. Therefore, picking what you play based on what does better in said content is pointless. You should pick whatever you like the most.

This is totally fine, by the way, don't take me the wrong way. But think with me for a second, if you're going to be using the DK for alt runs and such, does it matter to you if you do 250k or 260k DPS at the end of a fight? Sure, doing better is always good, but in the grand scheme of things of the content you're doing, it matters very little. You should instead, just play whatever you enjoy the most, because at the end of the day, your primary concern should be having fun, and the boss is going to die regardless of you doing 250k or 260k.

Short answer ? We can't choose for you. Try to play all the specs yourself, and see which one you enjoy the most.

Long answer : I like all the 3 specs. Frost and Blood are probably the least forgiving specs. If you want to take your DK a little seriously, I'd strongly recommend some weak auras or addons to play with it. The one from Blizzard just plain sucks.

As much as i hate to admit it, Frost is much better than UH for mythic + runs (and in general). Just need to monitor Icy Talons and runes for the most part. UH is good too, but you need to analyze each pull properly in order to manage your spells and cd's between them. UH isn't hard to play, but some managing and has a lot of RNG built into it while frost is more consistent. Frost also has a really good stun that will help your group. I personally love UH and love to see its potential when the stars align, but there is no reason to gamble when you have a spec like frost that is just plain better at the moment. Just try them both and see what you prefer.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nexx226 View Post
    Delete it.
    the most accurate answer so far.

Why is everyone so negative towards DKs here. Frost is one of the best if not the best at mythic + and is competitive in raids. Frost is performing well even in mythic raiding yet people are making it sound like dumpster. The only reason I've heard is DKs have poor scaling, which isn't really the case right now, and blizzard has shown they are willing to tweak us so that we are relevant. Don't see where the hate comes from.

Quote Originally Posted by Dashwood View Post
    Why is everyone so negative towards DKs here. Frost is one of the best if not the best at mythic + and is competitive in raids. Frost is performing well even in mythic raiding yet people are making it sound like dumpster. The only reason I've heard is DKs have poor scaling, which isn't really the case right now, and blizzard has shown they are willing to tweak us so that we are relevant. Don't see where the hate comes from.
    Well, Blizzard pulled a fast one on us and made UH the spec to go in launch due to frost being weak in damage. Then Frost was buffed to the point where it smashes UH and all UH got was a weak DC buff. Now, if you enjoy UH and invested time into it and gathered legendaries to support the spec, you kind of feel obligated to stick with it. Problem is we have to kinda sit in a shitty state until the next patch comes around and cling to what little hope we have for the dev team to bring UH up to par. These problems were well established too, for both specs. People are just upset that many specs of a lot of classes were rushed out without proper analysis or hearing the feedback from the community as far back as Legion in beta.

Go UH, its getting fuckhuge buffs and will be better than frost if the current ptr changes to both specs hit live.

Frost is fine, but in a week or two, it will be numerically and mechanically inferior to unholy. Unholy, compared to frost, has an extra defensive, an extra grip, and will be able to do most of its damage at 30 yard range (essentially removing the mobility weakness in DK). If numbers are equal or even close, Unholy is better. And on PTR unholy is blowing frost out of the water in damage.
    Last edited by Shadowman 747; 2016-12-27 at 09:21 PM.

The Unholy 4 set does looks pretty damn strong too

Quote Originally Posted by Dashwood View Post
    The Unholy 4 set does looks pretty damn strong too
    it's far stronger than frost's. Nighthold will be unholy dominated.

7+ Year Old Account
    Well hey if you have my luck, you can use the legendary on all specs because all i get is the dumb non class ones. [ring and neck]