Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Mythic Il'gynoth in 2017

Now that we are almost in 2017 and are several months into the expansion with significantly more gear, what is the best and the least riskiest way to approach this encounter for guilds just beginning progress on this boss? There seems to be several different strategies, but I'm not sure which one would be the easiest to execute at this gear level.

Or is Mythic Odyn a more reasonable choice following the nerfs to that encounter?

10+ Year Old Account
    Out heal all the damage with better gear... is my guess. We'll cross that bridge when we get to it. Plus they'll probably change something by then.

Quote Originally Posted by Promethieus View Post
    Out heal all the damage with better gear... is my guess. We'll cross that bridge when we get to it. Plus they'll probably change something by then.
    I'm sorry if there was a misunderstanding, but our guild has now reached the 4/7M point with Mythic Il'gynoth next on our radar. I was just wondering what the best strategy was going forward given how late we are and presumably how overgeared we are for the encounter.

Stack the right healing CDs, make sure you blow up as many blobs as your healers cnn handle?

The fight is not that much about gear though.
    Having one person mark 2-3 blobs and calling out who needs to get their blob to the eye helped us quite a bit when we got him down for the first time.

Quote Originally Posted by styil View Post
    Now that we are almost in 2017 and are several months into the expansion with significantly more gear, what is the best and the least riskiest way to approach this encounter for guilds just beginning progress on this boss? There seems to be several different strategies, but I'm not sure which one would be the easiest to execute at this gear level.

Or is Mythic Odyn a more reasonable choice following the nerfs to that encounter?
    Mythic Odyn is WAY harder than mythic Il'gynoth at this point even with the nerfs.

If you have sick dps, I'd recommend using hero on the first heart phase. Get the boss down to 33% and he will simply die the next time you pop the eye. If you have a resto shaman, look into the 8 blob strat for the outside phase. I'm sure you can find some videos on youtube of it.

Knowing most guilds, if you're 4/7 mythic, you probably have a few really good players and a moderate amount of kind of bad players. Make your best most vocal player in charge of marking blobs, and be very clear that no one dps's any blobs unless that guy calls for it. Kill blobs 2 at a time except when you're popping 8 blobs and you should be fine.

It's best to just put all the responsibility of decision making on 1 smart guy.
    Last edited by OrcsRLame; 2016-12-23 at 07:49 AM.

The fight is still more about control then straight out-gearing it. The stacks will still kill everyone if not done correctly. More damage on the boss itself and adds of course because of better gear but your progression tactics should still be similar to the original tactics.

| Mage | Rogue |
    - Barthilas-US -

Quote Originally Posted by Laurcus View Post
    Mythic Odyn is WAY harder than mythic Il'gynoth at this point even with the nerfs.

If you have sick dps, I'd recommend using hero on the first heart phase. Get the boss down to 33% and he will simply die the next time you pop the eye. If you have a resto shaman, look into the 8 blob strat for the outside phase. I'm sure you can find some videos on youtube of it.
    Our healer lineup does not have a resto shaman. We have an enhancement shaman that has an offspec in resto, but he is one of our top DPS. Is the 8 blob strat viable with a pally/holy/druid/druid/monk lineup? From the sounds of it, the 8 blob strat does seem to make the encounter easier to manage, but I'm not sure if it's possible. At the moment, the options seem to be:

1. Go with current 5 heals (could be problematic with no resto shaman)
    2. Swap the enhance to resto and switch a healer to dps (which would be much lower as their os is not as good)
    3. Go with 6 heals (could be problematic with less overall dps)

Each one has its own downside. I'm not sure what to do.

You really should get a shaman or two. Spirit link is love!

Our healer lineup does not have a resto shaman. We have an enhancement shaman that has an offspec in resto, but he is one of our top DPS. Is the 8 blob strat viable with a pally/holy/druid/druid/monk lineup? From the sounds of it, the 8 blob strat does seem to make the encounter easier to manage, but I'm not sure if it's possible. At the moment, the options seem to be:

2. Swap the enhance to resto and switch a healer to dps (which would be much lower as their os is not as good)

Each one has its own downside. I'm not sure what to do.
    The 8 blob strat is possible with no resto shaman, but significantly more challenging, because Spirit Link and Healing Tide are both badass.

The pally needs to run Devo Aura for the 20% DR from Aura Mastery. All your other healers have throughput CDs so you will need the DR.

I say give it a try, because the 8 blob strat is done less than a minute into the fight. Give it a few attempts and if you can't get it, oh well. Everyone should prepot Prolonged Power, because the HP may save them.
    Last edited by OrcsRLame; 2016-12-23 at 08:12 AM.

lol, Mythic Odyn is harder than any Mythic in Emerald Nightmare even after the nerfs that came this week.

If you have sick dps, I'd recommend using hero on the first heart phase. Get the boss down to 33% and he will simply die the next time you pop the eye.
    Don't do this. Popping the eye the second time is the hard bit, not killing the boss after you've done so.

Quote Originally Posted by ThePants999 View Post
    Don't do this. Popping the eye the second time is the hard bit, not killing the boss after you've done so.
    I disagree.

Popping the eye cleanly the second time is the hardest part of the fight.

In my experience, once you're consistently reaching the second P1, the vast majority of wipes come from situations where you reach the end of the second P1 and you have like 6+ people dead so it's hard to keep up with killing the tentacles and blobs and you can't cleanly transition. The second inside phase is only trivial if you reach that part of the fight with most people alive.

With the zerg strat, you can have a brain dead transition where you pop 5 blobs at once and so long as you did enough damage in the first P2 you don't need to give a fuck about how many people you have alive, how many stacks you have, if the healers have cooldowns, the spawn timer on the next set of adds, etc. It makes the second P1 really easy knowing that you can basically fuck up everything imaginable and still not wipe.

Okay, that's a fair point. I do worry that you'd fall behind right from the start if not able to insta-nuke the two dominators, though.

Quote Originally Posted by ThePants999 View Post
    Okay, that's a fair point. I do worry that you'd fall behind right from the start if not able to insta-nuke the two dominators, though.
    The sketchiest part is dealing with that first set of corruptors after you do the second 8 blob explosion.In general though, if you have the dps to actually get the boss to 33% in the first P1, (far from trivial even with lust and second pots) then you have the dps to catch back up after the second dominators.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account

Do #4 : Have your Priest spec Disc instead of Holy. Barrier is much better than Hymn if you don't have Spirit Link. Combine it with Devotion Aura - and possibly Darkness - and you'll do 8 stacks "easily". Doesn't matter how many traits you have - 3rd golden is pretty good, but you can achieve the same by spamming Atonements before explosions, for a big Penance/LW combo.

Of course it's still harder than with SLT, but as long as people you don't do some stupid stack refresh, you'll survive without much issues. Just watch the eye so it doesn't burst someone down with laser, right after the final tick. Most of our kills were without the totem and it wasn't that bad. The main problem is that people cannot run into barrier with 10% hp and expect to survive. Once blobs start to burst, get into position, don't try to finish off the last one as melee or something.

And don't even think about Odyn. The nerfs were fairly significant, but they merely brought him down to real "boss numer 8" instead of being worse than Cenarius and Il'gynoth put together. Phase 3 was largely unchanged and if you struggle with blobs damage, then it will overwhelm you. There's also a lot more movement and dps/idiot checks. Il'gynoth is pretty tame in that regard.
    Last edited by KaPe; 2016-12-23 at 12:15 PM.

I would disagree with the 'sick dps' here. If you have particularly good dps you'll find even with BL on the second outside you'll have the heart sub 3-7% going into it the second time which is practically guaranteed anyway.
    @styil dps numerically isn't super important this fight and a resto shaman will make the 8 blob explosion safer. It also allows combos will with darkness any DH's may have.
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    which is kind of like saying "of COURSE you can't see the unicorns, unicorns are invisible, silly."

8 blob strat is for pussies. we 4 heal and blow up 10. 2 doms + deathglare. then next 2 doms and deathglare.

Quote Originally Posted by Saiona View Post
    8 blob strat is for pussies. we 4 heal and blow up 10. 2 doms + deathglare. then next 2 doms and deathglare.
    10 blobs on p1 is because your dps is low, not because people are pussies.
    which is kind of like saying "of COURSE you can't see the unicorns, unicorns are invisible, silly."

Quote Originally Posted by Raiju View Post
    no I tell the dps to not dps blobs when they spawn. we wait a few seconds then the deathglare comes out. Dont be throwing shade at me

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Raiju View Post
    Besides its 2 doms deathglare and then deathblossom. Its not even required to 10 blob at that point but its much more fun

Quote Originally Posted by Saiona View Post
    no I tell the dps to not dps blobs when they spawn. we wait a few seconds then the deathglare comes out. Dont be throwing shade at me
    That seems completely redundant. You aren't gaining any time there merely padding healing meters.

I can see an argument for it on the second set, but it's purely vanity on the first.