Page 52 of 64 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Felya View Post
    I don't think you realize how absurdly lucky you got. You are in an industry that had the largest collapse since the Great Depression. Maybe just a year before you started, there were massive layoffs and shut downs in your field. The fact that you rose through the ranks, with that sort of competition is astounding. No matter how easy it seems in your bubble, what happened to you is like lightning hitting the same spot twice. Couple that with the fact that you saw no issue in going up as your title increased through other companies is astounding in its own right and is the complete opposite of what I experienced, but through mortgage companies? Just beyond astounding.
    Well actually, I was just starting out when the 08 disaster happened, if it wasn't for that happening, my positions would never have existed. You see, in the call center I ended up doing foreclosure assistance and modifications before leaving, then the government mandated certain compliance responsibilities to mortgage companies that I slid into over a few moves.

but i agree, there was luck to my moves. But my whole point isn't im doing or did great, its that min wage is something you can get out of with effort. if you STAY there, then you can only blame yourself. if you end up there then it sucks, pick your shit up, and you just gotta keep trucking 1-2 more dollars an hour at a time. big breaks arent real, its hundreds of tiny movements.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by The Oblivion View Post
    usually at the smell of layoffs, even hearing of anyone being let go, or seeing hiring slow down, i was out. deff been lucky so far layoff wise, as its VERY common in this industry. I do make sure im in the better half of performers at all times though. Also keep in mind, I am in california, and its a different beast compared to a lot of places.
    Even more bizarre. California's foreclosure is higher than the national avarage. It makes your rise even more astounding.

What part of California? As you know, the mortgage market varies greatly through the state. Compare Oakland to San Diego.

I feel looking back it was easy, but I know the time and effort in the moment, was a pain in my ass. Interviews arent fun, and doing them during bank hours, when you work bank hours, also not fun. A lot of stress and balancing when you hop around so much, but it got me to where I am, so I am happy I did it.
    That's an ego conflict. It wasn't easy... that's why the easy pain in the ass oxymoron.
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

Fine, raise the minimum wage from $7.25 to $15.

Then I want my $17.50 wage doubled to $35 per hour.

I went to school to make this so it stands to reason that I should make more than an unskilled worker.

Well actually, I was just starting out when the 08 disaster happened, if it wasn't for that happening, my positions would never have existed. You see, in the call center I ended up doing foreclosure assistance and modifications before leaving, then the government mandated certain compliance responsibilities to mortgage companies that I slid into over a few moves.

but i agree, there was luck to my moves. But my whole point isn't im doing or did great, its that min wage is something you can get out of with effort. if you STAY there, then you can only blame yourself. if you end up there then it sucks, pick your shit up, and you just gotta keep trucking 1-2 more dollars an hour at a time. big breaks arent real, its hundreds of tiny movements.
    I think one major difference between what you are saying and what most of the people are is that you are talking about minimum wage and that is it when the others are talking about minimum wage or near it. Having a job that pays 25 cent above minimum wage still counts as pretty close to minimum wage and I have seen plenty of places were even the managers pay too close to it.
    Since we can't call out Trolls and Bad Faith posters and the Ignore function doesn't actually ignore it. Add
    "mmo-champion.com##li.postbitignored"
    to your ublock or adblock filter to actually ignore ignored posters. Now just need a way to ignore responses to them as well.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Laerrus View Post

I went to school to make this so it stands to reason that I should make more than an unskilled worker.
    There's no reason why you wouldn't make more than an unskilled worker if you're currently sitting at $17. A raise to them is a raise for you if your ability to negotiate better wages isn't a complete disaster. Historically that's how it has always been...I do not see why that would suddenly change now.

Even more bizarre. California's foreclosure is higher than the national avarage. It makes your rise even more astounding.

What part of California? As you know, the mortgage market varies greatly through the state. Compare Oakland to San Diego.

That's an ego conflict. It wasn't easy... that's why the easy pain in the ass oxymoron.
    You misunderstand, the job existed only because of the amount of foreclosures, if people were paying, modifications and assistance programs wouldnt exist. The government never would have forced companies to do these. This made the jobd easier to get. Because of the higher then average rate of default, these positions were hiring non stop. I was in a training class of 100. We had these classes ever 6 months or so.

10+ Year Old Account

No, you are describing lightning in a bottle with every additional thing you add. You just added the biggest recession in nearly 100 years as a catalyst to your success. I have no clue why you would continue to describe that as easy, or something anyone else can do now or even in about a 100 years, points to ego. If that didn't happen, you would be flipping burgers, just like every person laid off in your industry that let you rise.
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by Laerrus View Post

I wonder what would you and the rest do if everyone chose to die instead of doing all the necessary entry level jobs.

Would you be still here on your high horse, or would you be one of those forced to have to meet the new demand and shortage of supply.
    "My successes are my own, but my failures are due to extremist leftist liberals" - Party of Personal Responsibility

Prediction for the future

10+ Year Old Account
    You misunderstand, the job existed only because of the amount of foreclosures, if people were paying, modifications and assistance programs wouldnt exist. The government never would have forced companies to do these. This made the jobd easier to get. Because of the higher then average rate of default, these positions were hiring non stop. I was in a training class of 100. We had these classes ever 6 months or so.
    Oh, I understand, I wouldn't be saying how astounding what you did is if I didn't. What is your title?

Oh, I understand, I wouldn't be saying how astounding what you did is if I didn't. What is your title?
    Back then? It was credit quality analyst. what the job actually was, taking phonecalls and sending info over for mods and payment assistance. i.e, call center.

Now, Compliance Manager.

Not sure how they calculated those numbers, but I hope they mixed up per week with per month. Let's look at Iowa for example, you can easily get a 1 br apartment for $600 or less a month almost anywhere and if you're not lazy, probably find one for less than $450. How does 58 hours a week x 4 weeks in a month = $600 monthly rent at minimum wage? $600/7.25 min wage = 82.75 hours a month to afford or about 21 hours a week. Am I missing something or did they only look at $1,600+ a month 1 br apartments?

Deleted

So you where lucky to be able to move up, but your point is that minimum wage is something you can get out off. How can you get out off minimum wage on merit if you need luck to get out off the minimum wage range?
    You act as if there are an infinite amount of jobs out there and everyone can have a nice one if they only try hard enough. This just isn't reality, there are less jobs available then there are people who are looking for work, this includes minimum wage jobs. This means that no matter how hard some people try, they will never find a job that can provide a stable living for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Agnar View Post
    Not sure how they calculated those numbers, but I hope they mixed up per week with per month. Let's look at Iowa for example, you can easily get a 1 br apartment for $600 or less a month almost anywhere and if you're not lazy, probably find one for less than $450. How does 58 hours a week x 4 weeks in a month = $600 monthly rent at minimum wage? $600/7.25 min wage = 82.75 hours a month to afford or about 21 hours a week. Am I missing something or did they only look at $1,600+ a month 1 br apartments?
    If you are talking about the map, I believe they were talking about making enough where your rent only took up a third of your monthly income so you could actually survive on the rest.

Using your estimate of 82.75 hours, that would still mean it took them over 2 week of full time income to pay for 1 month of rent.
    Since we can't call out Trolls and Bad Faith posters and the Ignore function doesn't actually ignore it. Add
    to your ublock or adblock filter to actually ignore ignored posters. Now just need a way to ignore responses to them as well.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PosPosPos View Post
    The only difference between institutional slavery and the conditions we have today is the illusion of choice.

Slaves do not have a choice.

People not paid a livable wage have the illusion of choice.
    They have choices (unless they are physically or mentally challenged), they are either not taking advantage of them or suffering from poor ones in the past. Even Seattle's living wage is only $3 higher than WA minimum wage.

No, you are describing lightning in a bottle with every additional thing you add. You just added the biggest recession in nearly 100 years as a catalyst to your success. I have no clue why you would continue to describe that as easy, or something anyone else can do now or even in about a 100 years, points to ego. If that didn't happen, you would be flipping burgers, just like every person laid off in your industry that let you rise.
    banking doesn't have recessions in a normal sense, we have changes. If something goes away, another pops up in its place. Banking is the fucking HYDRA of careers. If you layoff 100 mortgage loan officers, I can promise you are then hiring new processors to fill those roles (or shutting your doors cause you can no longer make money without MLO's) at which point other company will assume your loans and need to fill back those same positions (usually during a merger most employees stay, we only ever late go people who were on notice). Then at some point you need more MLO's again, so you hire. What does this mean? You now need more underwriters, you need more auditors for the higher workflow. It was to expand.

Recession hits, massive layoff of all front end (sales, processors, underwriters), recession causes default, you now need a mod team, processors and underwriters. Its all a massive flow, there were not less banking jobs, just different ones.

this is totally off topic though my bad other readers, this is not a thread about banking. LOL
    Last edited by The Oblivion; 2016-12-27 at 07:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kellhound View Post
    They have choices (unless they are physically or mentally challenged), they are either not taking advantage of them or suffering from poor ones in the past. Even Seattle's living wage is only $3 higher than WA minimum wage.
    People without money only have the choices that people with money offer.

Quote Originally Posted by MeHMeH View Post
    So you where lucky to be able to move up, but your point is that minimum wage is something you can get out off. How can you get out off minimum wage on merit if you need luck to get out off the minimum wage range?
    You act as if there are an infinite amount of jobs out there and everyone can have a nice one if they only try hard enough. This just isn't reality, there are less jobs available then there are people who are looking for work, this includes minimum wage jobs. This means that no matter how hard some people try, they will never find a job that can provide a stable living for them.

you are reading only part of the conversation, I was well out of min wage before luck became a factor, I am sorry, my convo with other posters ended way off topic.

Quote Originally Posted by Kellhound View Post
    So their choices are either become a wage slave, become a criminal,or join the military?

Sorry but until we all have a universal income and the people actually have the option to turn them down or we have 100% employment where the job is as replaceable as the employee is to the workers, that is a false choice.

10+ Year Old Account
    Back then? It was credit quality analyst. what the job actually was, taking phonecalls and sending info over for mods and payment assistance. i.e, call center.

Now, Compliance Manager.
    Holly shit! You make 75$ as a compliance manager? Without a BS or 10 years of experience? Dude, did you find a genie lamp? Like I said, every thing you add, just makes your achievements more and more remarkable, not easy.

this is not a thread about banking
    Since banks rule the world, I would say it is.

They are the ones who set the wages.