Page 1 of 2
LastLast

I like the prestige system but I'm afraid that Blizzard will mess it up

I like the prestige system because it gives you 2 things:
    1. A small, but permanent, cosmetic upgrade - the portrait icon.
    2. A sense of exclusivity. Not many players for example have prestige rank 5+.

Other rewards in the game, for example gear, usually become obsolete after 4 months or so.

However, I'm afraid to invest more time in it because I think that in the next expansion Blizzard will say something in the line of "Well, new players feel like it's hard to reach prestige level 20, so we're increasing the honor gain from battlegrounds by 200%", and after that nothing will be rare anymore. This has happened before in the game with pretty much any system in the past that required a high time investment and it was difficult to get into. It happened with the first pvp system when all of the rewards were given to everyone at the end of Vanilla.

Deleted
    I tend to agree with you but I wouldn't fear that Blizzard would do some changes to this. From what I have observed they don't usually change something they added lately.
    Last edited by mmocf166a846fc; 2016-12-23 at 02:50 PM.

You can only transmog the artifact skins if you earned them during legion.

So if someone hit prestige 2 after legion ended and got the skin, they won't be able to mog it. They'd just have it.

I'm not too sure they'd do anything like that next expac though, not sure.

Not sure, cosmetic rewards very often remained behind tedious grinds, especially PvP ones.

For example, Conquerer title is still a major grind altough they slightly buffed the Rep per BG, Battlemaster Achievement(s) still require 100 Victories, and so forth.

Unless the grind for a certain cosmetic is extremely insane, they usually leave it as it is because it upsets a lot of people who invested a ton of time into a certain achievement, only to see it nerfed few months afterwards.

Prestige is a good idea now that it doesn't reset honor talents. It's truly only cosmetic so there's no reason to nerf it in any way.

The problem is that pvp as a whole is a shit show right now of boring as hell class mechanics, ridiculous imbalances despite removal of things that would cause imbalances. Until those things are taken care of, prestige will remain to appear rare since pvp activity is at such an all time low.
    Quote Originally Posted by High Overlord Saurfang
    "I am he who watches they. I am the fist of retribution. That which does quell the recalcitrant. Dare you defy the Warchief? Dare you face my merciless judgement?"
    i7-6700 @2.8GHz | Nvidia GTX 960M | 16GB DDR4-2400MHz | 1 TB Toshiba SSD| Dell XPS 15

10+ Year Old Account
    The prestige system has always been joke OP. The vast majority of people that have high prestige abuse the world quests instead of pvping. There should have never been PvP world quests to begin with (or even the world quest system in general.)

Also the system is irrelevant as soon as they removed the penalty. It's just a glorified exp grind from 1-1000 like Overwatch.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    The prestige system has always been joke OP. The vast majority of people that have high prestige abuse the world quests instead of pvping. There should have never been PvP world quests to begin with (or even the world quest system in general.)

Also the system is irrelevant as soon as they removed the penalty. It's just a glorified exp grind from 1-1000 like Overwatch.
    Wardens tower should be removed for sure, but I do enjoy the other WpvpQ.
    I'm just 4 levels from prestige 6, and can't wait for my cosmetic reward :P

Deleted
    It's a pointless crap system that has zero to do with PvP in the first place. Since earning it through PvE is a possibility and the one most people opt for as it's the most convenient it's just another PvE thing disguised as PvP. Heck that it initially required to do away with ones talents meant that PvE people were LESS bothered by this.

Prestige system shouldn't even exist anymore, honestly. It's basically just like Overwatch in that you're just endlessly grinding levels and receive a new portrait every 50.

Whole PvP system is a mess right now. No wonder this season had low participation.

They already did that by allowing people to keep their talents every time.

Quote Originally Posted by xzeve View Post
    Wardens tower should be removed for sure, but I do enjoy the other WpvpQ.
    I'm just 4 levels from prestige 6, and can't wait for my cosmetic reward :P
    Warden Towers should be redesigned, IMO.

One idea: one faction controls the area around the tower, the other controls the tower itself. Both factions need to fight NPCs and kill boss at the same general area. There are buffs within your faction "base", with their power depending on faction imbalance (faction with less players in the area gets buffs, with the buff power being dependent on size of the imbalance).

Raise Honor to 500. Only one tower up at a time. Resets 4 times a day, at a different hour than the free-for-all arena WQ.

Deleted
    This always seems to happen in WoW, with so many systems.

But honestly, no one in serious pvp cares about honor ranks. Only pvp titles.

Quote Originally Posted by Ickz View Post
    Prestige system shouldn't even exist anymore, honestly. It's basically just like Overwatch in that you're just endlessly grinding levels and receive a new portrait every 50.

Whole PvP system is a mess right now. No wonder this season had low participation.
    People speaking agains the Prestige System shows why we can't have good things. I mean, why complain because of freebie cosmetic rewards that are awarded by participation? Not everything needs to be about power or rank. If anything, people've been doing way more casual PvP than in past expansions (and ranked play earns you ranks way faster than casual anyway).

Can the system be improved? Yes, of course.
    May ranked play need more incentive? Yes, of course.

But there's zero reason to want to scrap the Prestige system.It's just a bonus, and removing it would only get even less people playing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DeicideUH View Post
    People speaking agains the Prestige System shows why we can't have good things. I mean, why complain because of freebie cosmetic rewards that are awarded by participation? Not everything needs to be about power or rank. If anything, people've been doing way more casual PvP than in past expansions (and ranked play earns you ranks way faster than casual anyway).

Can the system be improved? Yes, of course.
    May ranked play need more incentive? Yes, of course.

But there's zero reason to want to scrap the Prestige system.It's just a bonus, and removing it would only get even less people playing.

I disagree. The system should be scrapped entirely and replaced with something else next expansion. The worst thing they did was allow honor to be gained from world quests where a large portion of players that are high prestige most of their honor through pve grinding.

They should have also never added rewards to the system either. Prestige should've just just changed you're portrait and that's it. As soon as they tied rewards to it, it was only a matter of time until people would beg for the reset honor part of the prestige to be removed(invalidating everything about the prestige system.)

The cap should also be 1000 instead of increments of 4 every season. People now just get capped and its irrelevant until next season.

I disagree. The system should be scrapped entirely and replaced with something else next expansion. The worst thing they did was allow honor to be gained from world quests where a large portion of players that are high prestige most of their honor through pve grinding.

They should have also never added rewards to the system either. Prestige should've just just changed you're portrait and that's it. As soon as they tied rewards to it, it was only a matter of time until people would beg for the reset honor part of the prestige to be removed(invalidating everything about the prestige system.)

The cap should also be 1000 instead of increments of 4 every season. People now just get capped and its irrelevant until next season.
    So, your "improvement" to the system would be to turn it rewardless? No, thanks. That would be a great way to make the system meaningless.

PvE grinding may be a nuisance, but it's far from optimal. I do think something needs to be done with tower quests, and that honor from quests could be slightly lower while upping Honor from actual PvP, but the current system works well enough.

And I do agree that Honor should still matter once you reach max Prestige, but that could easily be that every X honor gives you some AP/gold/resource/PvP chest/whatever other reward, so it's an incentive to keep getting more Honor.

It's plain wrong to try to destroy a system that essentially is a incentive to keep playing. None of the rewards is even a must-have. I like the mounts and artifact appearances, but none of it feel obligatory, and that's cool. No need to remove this system, it just needs improvements.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DeicideUH View Post
    So, your "improvement" to the system would be to turn it rewardless? No, thanks. That would be a great way to make the system meaningless.

PvE grinding may be a nuisance, but it's far from optimal. I do think something needs to be done with tower quests, and that honor from quests could be slightly lower while upping Honor from actual PvP, but the current system works well enough.

And I do agree that Honor should still matter once you reach max Prestige, but that could easily be that every X honor gives you some AP/gold/resource/PvP chest/whatever other reward, so it's an incentive to keep getting more Honor.

It's plain wrong to try to destroy a system that essentially is a incentive to keep playing. None of the rewards is even a must-have. I like the mounts and artifact appearances, but none of it feel obligatory, and that's cool. No need to remove this system, it just needs improvements.
    People would still do it without rewards. Prestige should be something that's 100% for bragging rights and nothing else. Once you put rewards on it, it invalidates everything about "prestige" because now you have a reason to sacrifice your stats or whatever to gain something. Prestige doesn't work that way.

The world quests also should have never existed. There would be far less people at prestige 5 if they didn't exist and they never changed prestige resetting honor talents.

At that point to me, prestige would actually matter.

People aren't going to stop pvping if they remove the prestige system. The real reason people stop pvping is because its far easier and less time consuming to farm AP through PvE than it is to do anything related to PvP. The casual pvp playerbase is dead. They either all quit or stopped playing pvp in favor of mythic dungeons.

Blizzard:
    7.2, we're reducing the amount of honor it requires to go from Honor Level 1 to 50 before prestiging the first time (aka Prestige 0). It will take roughly half the amount of honor as it does now. Prestige ranks 1 and higher will remain the same.
    Just as I predicted... Next will be "It doesn't feel natural that the jump in honor requirements between prestige 0 and 1 is so high so we're reducing the other levels as well".

People aren't going to stop pvping if they remove the prestige system. The real reason people stop pvping is because its far easier and less time consuming to farm AP through PvE than it is to do anything related to PvP. The casual pvp playerbase is dead. They either all quit or stopped playing pvp in favor of mythic dungeons.
    Or players could stop PVPing because, I don't know, classes are fairly shallow right now and stat templates make you feel like you're not playing your own character?

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    They should do something like what you don't want them to do. It's not like prestiging is hard, it requires the same amount of honour every time after all. Hell I haven't even touched rated PvP or any PvP really outside of Ashran and I'm already over half way to prestige 2, gaining a guaranteed 500 honour per day thanks to my silver hand orders.

By the end of the expansion I reckon I'll have a pretty decent prestige rank without any effort at all. It would be nice if it were quicker though.

For me, this system failed when they let everyone have their prestige talents and they weren't reset when you leveled. At Blizzcon, they said that if the player wanted to prestige, they would lose all their talents and have to level back up, which will give them a reward at the end. What changed was is that Blizzard forced everyone to level to 50 and then have it reset. There should of be an option if you would like to prestige and have all your talents reset. This would of solved the problem of everyone crying about losing their talents and the people who wanted rewards could prestige and earn something.

I quite like the leveling system in pvp but i am tired of Blizzard always nerfing it and changing it. They should of stuck to their original plan, instead of changing it all the time.
    Last edited by greg098; 2017-01-30 at 01:04 PM.