10+ Year Old Account

CPU makes noise when not under load...

Got a new case/motherboard/cpu/psu using the unicorn build.

It's wonderful, nice and cool, great performance there's only one problem.

If i'm not running anything the cpu power connector on the motherboard makes a annoying scratchy electrical sound. Then the second i load up wow or any other game it vanishes (only to return if i minimize the game or a loading screen occurs :/)

(tried different cable and still the same, tried different psu but the same so think it's the motherboard.

Any ideas? Don't really want to go through the trouble of RMA it for this one issue :/

Quote Originally Posted by Frozenbeef View Post
    the cpu power connector on the motherboard makes a annoying scratchy electrical sound

Don't really want to go through the trouble of RMA it for this one issue
    This sounds like some electrical shortcut.

Imagine this sound would come from your PSU with 110V/230V instead of 5V/12V... Would you still keep it?

My suggestion: Send it back because this is definitely not working as intended.
    Last edited by Thaledwyn; 2016-12-27 at 11:40 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    That's not really a process of elimination though. You don't know it's the PSU. It honestly could be anything. You need to figure out what's causing the issue before you start RMAing parts.

Check out the directors cut of my project SCHISM, a festival winning short film
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DiHNTS-vyHE

That 100% sounds like coil whine. Usually comes from a GPU or a PSU, haven't ever had it come from a Mobo.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythbredor View Post
    That 100% sounds like coil whine. Usually comes from a GPU or a PSU, haven't ever had it come from a Mobo.
    I've heard it from the southbridge and cpu vrm before now.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Master Guns View Post
    That's not really a process of elimination though. You don't know it's the PSU. It honestly could be anything. You need to figure out what's causing the issue before you start RMAing parts.
    I tried my old psu and it still does the same noise, moving the wires that connect the cpu power to the motherboard adjusts the noise slightly (but doesn't eliminate it) not much more process of elimination i can go through :S