Page 57 of 64 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by flam View Post
    You are missing the point; the point being is it actually possible to survive on minimum wage, not survive and have a savings too.

I think people are also missing the fact that there is a shit ton of government assistance programs out there that give you massive discounts or FREE shit for being poor. California has a program to GIVE you a FREE cellphone. Internet providers give you internet connection for dirt cheap (not blazing fast, but for $10 / month how much do you want) SNAP program (food stamps) Section 8 (government pays around 80% of your rent)

If you don't taking free hand outs...
    Saving 50 cents a month is saving too, please define "savings".

And newsflash, Trump is trying to remove as many safety nets as he can as soon as he's officially inaugurated, so it's obviously important to not count all these soon-to-be-axed programs.
    "My successes are my own, but my failures are due to extremist leftist liberals" - Party of Personal Responsibility

Prediction for the future

You are missing the point; the point being is it actually possible to survive on minimum wage, not survive and have a savings too.

I think people are also missing the fact that there is a shit ton of government assistance programs out there that give you massive discounts or FREE shit for being poor. California has a program to GIVE you a FREE cellphone. Internet providers give you internet connection for dirt cheap (not blazing fast, but for $10 / month how much do you want) SNAP program (food stamps) Section 8 (government pays around 80% of your rent)

If you don't taking free hand outs...
    I am not talking about saving too. That is the basic formula real estate agents use to see if you can "afford" the place. If you were making a monthly investment or contribution to savings, it would go in the two weeks for bills section.

I would also be surprised if someone making 15$/HR was eligible for any type of social services.

Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    No I am telling you that not everyone has the choice to improve there wage.

Some area's only have Minimum Wage jobs available. People can't just pick up and go somewhere better because that also costs.
    are you joking now ? you want to make better then minimal wage ? go to welding school or something you will have better wage then minimum - jezus christ how lazy people are nowadays. some countries really need to cut down on welfare because itsaparently forminf breeding ground generations of jobless people.

waht costs ? investing into yourself ? ofc it cost - thats why ambitious people leave uni with 100-500k $ debt that they pay off for next years in order to have better jobs . look at lawyers doctors how much debt they have in beginign to pay before they start making really good salary .
    all i see in this thread is "gimme gimme stuff - you own to me because im breathing" fuck sake its so annoying.
    Last edited by kamuimac; 2016-12-27 at 07:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kamuimac View Post
    are you joking now ? you want to make better then minimal wage ? go to welding school or something you will have better wage then minimum - jezus christ how lazy people are nowadays. some countries really need to cut down on welfare because itsaparently forminf breeding ground generations of jobless people.
    You realize the majority of adults who work are on minimal wage right?

Minimal wage was put into place to be a livable wage.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

So a livable wage. What is the criteria for what constitutes a living wage? Just cause people throw that word around a lot I'm curious what people in this thread what a person should be able to afford on a living wage.
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

Quote Originally Posted by Nexx226 View Post
    So basically you think slavery is okay? Because that's exactly what slaves had, the bare minimum to survive so they can continue their labor.
    people have this stupid notion that slavery dissapeared - no it didnt - all coutries still have the cast of psuedo-slaves - they are free to leave but due to their lack of skills they will be pseudo-slaves everywhere they go - hint - its those who make minimum wages. just cause its called different and you have illusion of freedom it doesnt change fact that they are working as slaves to upper tier of citizens.

- - - Updated - - -

How do you pay for welding school? Is it free? Are there enough welding jobs for every single person making minimum wage?

They're not asking for free shit. They're asking to be paid fairly.
    simple by taking a loan - take a loan invest into yourself and get better job - that how milions of people get out of powerty. hell i bet that if you looked well your local unemplyemnt office would send you to some simple courses which would provide you with valuable skills. but it requires will to change something. hell make licence for operating the forklift here you go you will get better salary then magazine workers who cant legaly operate it. possiblities are endless people are just lazy
    Last edited by kamuimac; 2016-12-27 at 08:00 PM.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    The bolded conflicts with the bottom statement. If you can survive on minimum wage you wouldn't need Government Assistance. The fact you have to use Government Assistance proves you can't survive on minimum wage.

That is the point of a minimum wage, to be a livable wage aka NOT GETTING ASSISTANCE.....

It is you who are missing the point.
    It is entirely possible to live on minimum wage, depending on your geographical location, WITHOUT government assistance. I was merely stating that there are programs out there to help you, if you qualify (which, someone making minimum wage with a family would) This is about survival, bear minimum. Home, utilities, (most cover water / garbage collection) food. That's all you need.
    Social programs are basically there to help enrich your life slightly, so you can have a TV, maybe a car (all be it a junker, but it runs and gets you to a to b and back)

I think people need to keep in mind that while minimum wage requires a different style of living, and yet, there are a few million people here illegally making just that and are glad they do because where they come from, what we make an hour, is probably what they make a day or even a week.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by mayhem008 View Post
    So a livable wage. What is the criteria for what constitutes a living wage? Just cause people throw that word around a lot I'm curious what people in this thread what a person should be able to afford on a living wage.
    IMHO, Home, food, water, clean clothes, power, car/public transportation what else do you need to LIVE?

Quote Originally Posted by Gamdwelf View Post
    Below is an infographic posted by Bernie Sanders Facebook page showing how many hours an individual must work per state to afford a 1 bedroom apartment.

Honestly I don't believe it.

I think it's very possible for an individual to live off minimum wage comfortably for an extended period of time, if need be.

Is it easy, no but possible, yes.

No real source accompanied the information which adds to it being sensationalized. Which I think is the main problem. You can't have real discussion about poverty when people can't talk about the actual facts.

The only "source is that numbers are from the 'low income housing coalition' with no research or explaination as to how they generated these numbers.

PS:. In before bootstraps
    Where did they get those numbers for that map? And are they just taking the price of a 1 bedroom in every city in that state then dividing by number of cities? Are they only using the most expensive city? I need a source please.

Those questions aside, you can't expect to live off of minimum wage and have a apartment, car, etc and still have any money left over. What is the point of working 54+ hours to be able to "afford" a place to live if you are working 54+ hours a week?

It is entirely possible to live on minimum wage, depending on your geographical location, WITHOUT government assistance. I was merely stating that there are programs out there to help you, if you qualify (which, someone making minimum wage with a family would) This is about survival, bear minimum. Home, utilities, (most cover water / garbage collection) food. That's all you need.
    Social programs are basically there to help enrich your life slightly, so you can have a TV, maybe a car (all be it a junker, but it runs and gets you to a to b and back)

I think people need to keep in mind that while minimum wage requires a different style of living, and yet, there are a few million people here illegally making just that and are glad they do because where they come from, what we make an hour, is probably what they make a day or even a week.

- - - Updated - - -

IMHO, Home, food, water, clean clothes, power, car/public transportation what else do you need to LIVE?
    So there's a difference between survival and living. When you say LIVE do you mean what's required to survive or do you mean what's needed to actually enjoy life?
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    I believe this is nation wide, but you get 3 sick days per year paid. Medical bills, assuming you are making minimum wage, you are most likely get health care thru obamacare / medicaid which provides free or nearly free medical coverage.

Back in the old days, people immigrated from Europe to the United States with far less in their pockets and zero social programs to help them.

Quote Originally Posted by kamuimac View Post

waht costs ? investing into yourself ? ofc it cost - thats why ambitious people leave uni with 100-500k $ debt that they pay off for next years in order to have better jobs . look at lawyers doctors how much debt they have in beginign to pay before they start making really good salary .
    all i see in this thread is "gimme gimme stuff - you own to me because im breathing" fuck sake its so annoying.
    That's under the assumption that everything works out. Just because you invest in yourself doesn't mean that things magically turn out in the end. Shit happens and there is a far better chance of shit happening and all that money you spent being unable to pay back then the chance of it working out and you smelling like roses at the end. Honestly it is a far smarter plan to not invest in yourself and just try to get by , rather than getting 200k in debt in some random ass college that may not get you any of the experience needed to even get that job to even get out of debt.

There are so many chances for shit to go wrong by putting yourself in debt just when there is only a near zero chance for things to work out. I'm not sure what magic fantasy land you live, but the scenario you described works out for maybe 1/10 people. Working on yourself doesn't magically make your life better.
    Last edited by Dontrike; 2016-12-27 at 08:26 PM.

Dontrike/Shadow Priest/Black Cell Faction Friend Code - 5172-0967-3866

Quote Originally Posted by xero5141 View Post
    What evidence from this thread helped you to continue that thinking? If I make 8.00/hr (7.25 is the average state minimum wage) that's 1,280/month. There are NO renting opportunities below about $700 a month in my area, and I think that's probably on the cheap end considering I live in North Idaho.So $1,280 after taxes in Idaho is about $920 a month for an individual making $.75 more an hour than minimum wage.You think someone can live COMFORTABLY on $220 a month? What fucking world are you living in?
    Why is housing so expensive in a state like Idaho with literally nothing going for it?
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

10+ Year Old Account
    I believe this is nation wide, but you get 3 sick days per year paid. Medical bills, assuming you are making minimum wage, you are most likely get health care thru obamacare / medicaid which provides free or nearly free medical coverage.

Back in the old days, people immigrated from Europe to the United States with far less in their pockets and zero social programs to help them.
    well i would hope in 110 years of modernization that we've managed to go from having no social programs to having some form of social programs. also 3 paid sick days a year is almost laughable.

- - - Updated - - -

Why is housing so expensive in a state like Idaho with literally nothing going for it?
    i'm going to guess because it's mostly mountains. therefore there isn't much available land.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

Quote Originally Posted by xero5141 View Post
    The statement in the OP was that you CAN live comfortably at minimum wage, not only that, but the quote that I replied to also stated the same. If you can't separate surviving from living comfortably, and understand WHY we are discussing living comfortably vs. surviving then that's your issue. Please take your ignorance, and apparent inability to read elsewhere.
    The OP never said you can live comfortably on minimum wage. The OP said that it was possible to survive for extended periods of time on minimum wage.

You just changed the discussion on page 59 to whatever, and I responded to you.

I guess my apparent inability to read is not so apparent. At least it's enough to land me into a higher than minimum wage paying job.

- - - Updated - - -

The town I grew up in has like one factory, a few nice restaurants but is mostly fast food and retailers like walmart. While there are not "only" minimum wage jobs available, there are not enough jobs paying more than min wage than there are people looking for jobs.
    So what? What does this have to do with anything? There are higher level jobs available, people just don't have the skillset, nor intend to develop the skillset to step into them.

Quote Originally Posted by Alydael View Post
    I am not talking about saving too. That is the basic formula real estate agents use to see if you can "afford" the place. If you were making a monthly investment or contribution to savings, it would go in the two weeks for bills section.

I would also be surprised if someone making 15$/HR was eligible for any type of social services.
    Can't speak for anywhere else, but my roommate makes $18/hr in southern california and he gets lowered healthcare costs, food stamps, and discounts on water/gas bills. Granted, not as much as someone getting minimum wage, but he gets some assistance. He could also get more affordable housing from the state, but instead he gets that from me
    Last edited by God Save The King; 2016-12-27 at 08:49 PM.
    “You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me.”
    – C.S. Lewis

Uh, you asked for a place that only has min. wage jobs? Can you not read your own words?? I just said there are no higher skill jobs available. The best you could really do outside of owning one of those businesses is to be a manager of some level and that's likely in the low hundreds of available jobs out of all the businesses here. There's still 10k other people who need jobs.
    Yes I can read it, and you just told me that these companies/factories/restaurants exist. That means that higher skill jobs exist. Any job is available if you prove that you're capable of doing it. If you are talented in excel (guess what no degree required and youtube which I bet every single human being has access to even with Min wage), you can get a job in any restaurant, factory or company at a higher level than minimum wage.

Basically, you have 10K people who are content staying at the lowest possible level. This is my point. Low level jobs exist because people are extremely content staying at the lowest possible level and therefore it's cheap as fuck for companies and factories to exploit this 10K population who don't move.

Btw this happens at every level that I can see. My manager has checked the fuck out, and is perfectly content where he is at. He makes zero attempt to push for anything. As a result, he hasn't been promoted in years. I don't see how people are okay with that.
    Last edited by Dragoncurry; 2016-12-27 at 09:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GothamCity View Post
    Can't speak for anywhere else, but my roommate makes $18/hr in southern california and he gets lowered healthcare costs, food stamps, and discounts on water/gas bills. Granted, not as much as someone getting minimum wage, but he gets some assistance. He could also get more affordable housing from the state, but instead he gets that from me
    How is that possible

18$/hr would be 20 work days x 8 hours x 18 = 2880 a month. income limits on food stamps in CA is $1962.00 for an individual.

unless he is not working a full week.

He would not qualify for housing assistance, and if he did work only 20 hours a month he would still be on a long list below Families, single moms and disabled....before they even got to him for housing assistant which, is NEVER.

He also does not qualify for utility assistance at 18 dollars an hour, if working more then 30 hours he will be over the income limit.

Not enough exist for every single person.. fucking christ dude is this really that difficult to follow?

How the fuck do you think being good in excel means you can get hired at any company? Go put that on your resume and let me know how many fucking job offers you get.

How the fuck do you expect people to move who don't have money? If they're already barely getting by, but at least have a place to live, you expect them to give that up and go be homeless somewhere else on the off chance that maybe they can find a job? Seriously, do you have any grasp on reality at all or have you been given everything in your life?
    I got quite a few job offers actually. I showed a nursing company a staffing model in excel and was offered a position.

The intern I trained this prior summer got a promotion at her restaurant where she was a waiter, and now she manages their invoices in excel at a pay upgrade as she finishes school.

And yes, enough would exist for every single person. You don't understand demand. There is a huge demand for individuals with specific skill sets.

Every workplace is missing critical thinkers.
    With the rise of baby boomers alone:

Doctors are going to be in high demand.

Nurses are going to be in high demand.

Healthcare technicians are going to be in high demand.

With the improvements in tech:

Data analysts are going to be high demand.

Anyone who can do high school level math, and forecast, and do some basic number crunching are going to be in high demand.

People to manage the above are going to be in high demand.

Plumbers are in high demand.

Welders are in high demand.

Electricians are in high demand.

People who can market to huge demographics using data is going to be in high demand.

You just have a huge fucking population that have no skills.
    Last edited by Dragoncurry; 2016-12-27 at 09:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zan15 View Post
    How is that possible

18$/hr would be 20 work days x 8 hours x 18 = 2880 a month. income limits on food stamps in CA is $1962.00 for an individual.

unless he is not working a full week.

He would not qualify for housing assistance, and if he did work only 20 hours a month he would still be on a long list below Families, single moms and disabled....before they even got to him for housing assistant which, is NEVER.

He also does not qualify for utility assistance at 18 dollars an hour, if working more then 30 hours he will be over the income limit.
    I believe? You're working on the state wide requirements. In Orange County the requirements are much more lenient, since it's quite expensive to live here.

I don't receive any benefits, nor have I ever applied, so I'm no expert in the matter, but I know for a fact he gets food stamps, because he has that Golden State card with mountains and the ocean, which is the same one my mom has.

For house, I also could have received assistance until my most recent job. Like you said, there is a list of people who get it first, but if you make less than 55k as an individual(in Orange County), you are eligible to apply and get assistance. You get priority if your homeless/lower income as well.

Utility, he recently lost for whatever reason. But he had it before he moved in with me. I'm guessing he lost it when becoming my roommate.
    “You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me.”
    – C.S. Lewis

Mechagnome
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragoncurry View Post
    The OP never said you can live comfortably on minimum wage. The OP said that it was possible to survive for extended periods of time on minimum wage.

You just changed the discussion on page 59 to whatever, and I responded to you.

I guess my apparent inability to read is not so apparent. At least it's enough to land me into a higher than minimum wage paying job.

- - - Updated - - -

So what? What does this have to do with anything? There are higher level jobs available, people just don't have the skillset, nor intend to develop the skillset to step into them.

vvvvvvvv The OP vvvvvvvv

Honestly I don't believe it.

I think it's very possible for an individual to live off minimum wage comfortably for an extended period of time, if need be.

Is it easy, no but possible, yes.

I'm sorry... what? Apparently, it is apparent.
    Last edited by xero5141; 2016-12-27 at 09:50 PM.
    Anything worth doing is worth over-doing. Moderation's for cowards.