Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Linadra View Post
    Whomever was your history teacher, should get fired, for he/she did an awful job. You don't avoid a war with someone you want to destroy, and who wants to destroy you. Hitler hated Stalin and Russians. Stalin hated Hitler, and was using the pact as time to gear for war, and the same conquest of Europe Hitler was going to do. Only with Hitler having weakened everyone first, including himself. It almost worked too, even with Hitler going for Stalin first.

If someone wants to debate Germany winning the war, then actually learning about history is a very important first step.
    He is not so wrong though. Russia was close to surrender before the Wehrmacht made the mistake of going to Stalingrad. Nobody knows what could have happened if it came down to this.

Quote Originally Posted by Heltoray View Post
    He is not so wrong though. Russia was close to surrender before the Wehrmacht made the mistake of going to Stalingrad. Nobody knows what could have happened if it came down to this.
    The point is; war with Stalin was that one war Hitler was never going to avoid, for obvious reasons. So arguing that to be the mistake is nonsensical. He could have avoided all the rest, but not the soviet one, since it was coming sooner rather than later.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

I am reading Russia is helping Turkey out in Al Bab by providing air strikes. Who would have thought it would turn this way after the incident with the Russian jet.

10+ Year Old Account
    Whomever was your history teacher, should get fired, for he/she did an awful job. You don't avoid a war with someone you want to destroy, and who wants to destroy you. Hitler hated Stalin and Russians. Stalin hated Hitler, and was using the pact as time to gear for war, and the same conquest of Europe Hitler was going to do. Only with Hitler having weakened everyone first, including himself. It almost worked too, even with Hitler going for Stalin first.

If someone wants to debate Germany winning the war, then actually learning about history is a very important first step.
    Oh man, first off, tone down that shit attitude if you wish to continue in any kind of discussion.

Second, I never said they wouldn't have gone to war, I said they shouldn't have invaded. Like at the time that they did. Yes, war between Germany and the Soviets was inevitable and the pact only prolonged it. But, Hitler should have either waited until he secured the Western front before invading (like his generals advised him to), or attacked when they originally planned (April I think?) which would have given them plenty of time before the rain/mud came in and halted their progress. Then winter came and made everything that much harder.

Even then, with having Ukraine and other resource rich areas under his control, had Hitler not pushed so hard to take control over Stalingrad (where he lost over 100,000 men and thousands of resources which spelled his downfall) and fortified the areas he did have, he could have waited the winter out since the Germans pretty much destroyed most of the Soviet means to launch successful counter attacks.

There is a lot more that goes into why Germany lost. But the fact of the matter is, had he listened to his generals and not fought on as many fronts as he did, waited until the Western front was secured before attacking the Soviets, then Germany could have most certainly won. It was Hitler's biggest mistake in a sea of mistakes in the war.
    Last edited by Beefsquatch; 2016-12-27 at 09:27 PM. Reason: clarity
    Of all losses, time is the most irrecuperable for it can never be redeemed

Just like Trump was finding out so many amazing things about Obama's birth certificate.

Crazy peas in a fuckin pod. It's pretty easy to claim things when you aren't held to any kind of standard.

I have EVIDENCE Turkish President Tayyip Erdrogan likes to fuck goats.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Netherspark View Post
    I have EVIDENCE Turkish President Tayyip Erdrogan likes to fuck goats.
    I have evidence supporting that.
    "when i'm around you i'm like a level 5 metapod. all i can do is harden!"

Quote Originally Posted by unholytestament View Post
    The people who cry for censorship aren't going to be buying the game anyway. Censoring it, is going to piss off the people who were going to buy it.
    Barret: It's a good thing we had those Phoenix Downs.
    Cloud: You have the downs!

The point is; war with Stalin was that one war Hitler was never going to avoid, for obvious reasons. So arguing that to be the mistake is nonsensical. He could have avoided all the rest, but not the soviet one, since it was coming sooner rather than later.
    the big mistake was the timing as well, winter is Russia is no joke and add in the scorched earth, fight, retreat, repeat startegy used by russia and the invasion was virtually doomed. Also going for Stalingrad was huge mistake, with a foolish goal of breaking the people by taking the city named after their leader.

Had Hitler invaded at a better time of year, or waited till the atlantic wall was full functional things would be vastly different.
    Member: Dragon Flight Alpha Club, Member since 7/20/22

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lei Shi View Post
    You wanna go down the same road Germany did? They were also considered the biggest and most advanced force in the world at the time. You couldn't even defeat VIETNAM.
    We defeated North Vietnam, we didnt resolve the civil war.

Quote Originally Posted by Kellhound View Post
    No you did not. You actually lost the war.

Quote Originally Posted by Kellhound View Post
    We won the Cold War, we're still here and the Soviet Union is no more. Vietnam was part of the Cold War.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulmita View Post
    No you did not. You actually lost the war.
    Not against the NVA. When the US withdrew the NVA was no longer able to conduct offensive operations and was in no shape to actually defend North Vietnam either. The portion that the US lost was the civil war. There is a difference.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckeyenut88 View Post
    Honestly, does anyone take this dude seriously anymore?
    He'll either be assassinated or removed by conventional means, next year. He's too unstable to lead anything, just like Tramp.
    Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings.
    To resist the influence of others, knowledge of oneself is most important.

Yeah, we know Erdogan has armed ISIS directly, and the journalists who documented it went to prison.

Quote Originally Posted by NYC17 View Post
    Just like Trump was finding out so many amazing things about Obama's birth certificate.

Crazy peas in a fuckin pod. It's pretty easy to claim things when you aren't held to any kind of standard.
    There are now a few experts in their field stating it is a forgery, whether you believe them or not.

Quote Originally Posted by lockedout View Post
    There are now a few experts in their field stating it is a forgery, whether you believe them or not.
    No. There aren't any legitimate, credible people who believe that. Unless you mean an expert cashier declaring it a forgery is something worth noting. Which is something I cna totally see you misconstruing.

Internet detectives don't count.

Quote Originally Posted by Beefsquatch View Post
    Oh man, first off, tone down that shit attitude if you wish to continue in any kind of discussion.

Second, I never said they wouldn't have gone to war, I said they shouldn't have invaded. Like at the time that they did. Yes, war between Germany and the Soviets was inevitable and the pact only prolonged it. But, Hitler should have either waited until he secured the Western front before invading (like his generals advised him to), or attacked when they originally planned (April I think?) which would have given them plenty of time before the rain/mud came in and halted their progress. Then winter came and made everything that much harder.

Even then, with having Ukraine and other resource rich areas under his control, had Hitler not pushed so hard to take control over Stalingrad (where he lost over 100,000 men and thousands of resources which spelled his downfall) and fortified the areas he did have, he could have waited the winter out since the Germans pretty much destroyed most of the Soviet means to launch successful counter attacks.

There is a lot more that goes into why Germany lost. But the fact of the matter is, had he listened to his generals and not fought on as many fronts as he did, waited until the Western front was secured before attacking the Soviets, then Germany could have most certainly won. It was Hitler's biggest mistake in a sea of mistakes in the war.
    Still on with the "shouldn't have done that"? Do you really need it spelled out to you, why waiting for your enemy to amass an army against you is abysmally bad idea? You know, that enemy that will outman you badly, if you give it time, while yours is ready at the moment?

You don't want "shit attitude" but you keep coming up with stuff that make no sense with how things played out. No, he could not have won, if he had waited for Stalin to have even bigger and more organized army. And he would have, with your great idea of stabilizing other fronts, which would have taken year or more.

It was the only real opportunity he had left to take the soviets out, given that he already made enemies with Britain and France. Too many fronts was a problem, yes, but nowhere near for the reasons you have come up with.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

7+ Year Old Account
    Largest weapons cache in North Africa = Benghazi.
    Airdrops too. https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...s-assad-regime

Oh yeah.. Ban me, it's "Fake News" and a "conspiracy theory" ...

Quote Originally Posted by Dsc View Post
    Largest weapons cache in North Africa = Benghazi.
    Airdrops too. https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...s-assad-regime

Oh yeah.. Ban me, it's "Fake News" and a "conspiracy theory" ...
    Well like 7 investigations about Benghazi later and they still can't blame Clinton for it. Let's not forget like 5 or 6 of those investigations were Republican-lead and they still found nothing to legally blame her for it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Be quiet Erdogan, President Osama thinks this is a secret.