Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Steik View Post
    I ran doom on 1440p above ultra settings with a ASUS 980Ti STRIX and got about 80-130FPS depending on where i was and how much was going on. The guy that said you need SLI 1080 for this is a joke.

PC i ran it on is in my sig.
    Doom isn't that graphic intensive, neither does it need massive processing power even at 4K.. it's just a bunch of closed zones/levels.
    Try that on GTA V
    Intel i7-10700k | ASUS ROG STRIX Z490-F GAMING
    ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 2080 Ti | 2x 8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 2400Mhz
    A-Data SSD SP920 256GB | Seagate 1TB 7200rpm | NZXT Kraken x62
    Fractal Design Define R6 TG | be quiet! Dark Power Pro 11 650W | Asus ROG Swift PG279Q
    Razer: Blackwidow Elite | Basilisk Ultimate | Nari Ultimate| Firefly | NZXT Hue+

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Azurenys View Post
    Doom isn't that graphic intensive, neither does it need massive processing power even at 4K.. it's just a bunch of closed zones/levels.
    Try that on GTA V
    Cool thanks for the valuable input on something we're not even talking about. My dog had some Christmas dinner today, good times.

Deleted
    Try that on GTA V
    The reason why Doom is not intensive is because its extremely well optimised, its a good looker of a game and imo beats out a lot of the more recent releases, the OP has already pointed out the games he plays, so far he has not pointed out what he will get later down the line but the GPUs I've suggested will do him fine.

Also another video for the OP;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEw3CaNSbUo

honestly, if you intend to play the games you have suggested for a lot longer, then these GPUs will do just fine, take your pick, Nividia wins in overwatch and AMD wins in Doom, both generate excessive FPS for a 60 Hz monitor and decent frames for 1440P, otherwise the GPUs are quite close overall.

A 1070 and 1080 are way beyond your needs unless you invest in a 1440p with 100 Hz or more panel, but at this moment in time, its better to wait in a month or 2 time as AMD will be releasing their high end and prices could come down across the board at that segment, you have a working system now and you could just drop down your res to 1080p for the time being.

Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    Sadly Nivida cards right now win hands down in Price+Performance.

I wish AMD had better then at this moment they don't.
    High end performance, definitely, at least until Vega. Price/Performance, maybe at original MSRP. But the RX series goes on sale and gets rebates far, far more often. I've bought multiple 4GB RX 480s for as low as 155. I've gotten 2 4GB RX 470s for as low as 140. I've seen an RX 460 for $70 on amazon. Also saw a few 8GB RX 480s for $200-210. The 10 series line hardly ever goes on sale. Most of them are still significantly above MSRP on big online retailer sites.

Nvidia definitely had the upper hand, which is why the RX line had to rely more on sales/rebates, but they are more than competitive now at current sale prices.

Quote Originally Posted by Karon View Post
    Bullshit.

A GTX 1080 won't handle 2560x1440 @ 60FPS in modern games.

Go SLI or Titan XP, anything else won't handleyour resolution at 60 FPS without having to set everything to medium or worse.
    Go to sleep....

Quote Originally Posted by Thorianrage View Post
    A 1070 and 1080 are way beyond your needs unless you invest in a 1440p with 100 Hz or more panel
    Unfortunately, the 100Hz monitors are an expense I really can't justify. I don't play competitively and also play a bunch of strategy / old games I didn't list, which don't need the higher frequency at all. Too expensive for the benefit it would bring me personally, tbh.

Thanks for the vid btw!
    My Gaming Setup | WoW Paladin (retired)

"This is not a dress. This is a sacred robe of the ancient psychedelic monks."

Cool thanks for the valuable input on something we're not even talking about. My dog had some Christmas dinner today, good times.
    Uhhh stop being so salty, might not get charcoal in your sock next year
    Doom isn't a proper test for the AVERAGE performance of a card at certain resolution. Most games aren't running like that/don't have the same low rendering requirements (closed places in Doom give way for much smoother fps).
    Fractal Design Define R6 TG | be quiet! Dark Power Pro 11 650W | Asus ROG Swift PG279Q
    Razer: Blackwidow Elite | Basilisk Ultimate | Nari Ultimate| Firefly | NZXT Hue+

Quote Originally Posted by Howard Moon View Post
    Hi guys,

I want to upgrade my current PC to be able to game at 2560 x 1440 with a good framerate (min 60?).

Specifically, I want to get this monitor. I currently use a 24'' Dell HD monitor which I'd like to keep for browsing etc (no dual-screen gaming desired).

Budget is not really an issue (keep it reasonable), but of course I'd like to re-use as much of my current hardware as possible. Not listed in the parts list is an SSD where I have my OS.

Most demanding games I'd like to play on this rig are: DOOM, Overwatch, Alien Isolation, D3... for now.

If I can't keep my current Win7 license (due to having to upgrade my MoBo or whatever), I'll probably upgrade to Win10.

Appreciate any sugestions from the experts!

Thanks!
    the system listed in my sig will do what you want

Deleted
    Doom isn't a proper test for the AVERAGE performance of a card at certain resolution. Most games aren't running like that/don't have the same low rendering requirements (closed places in Doom give way for much smoother fps).
    I'm not being salty. I'm questioning your pointless comparison, calm down dear.

Deleted
    What is most games? and how does this apply to the OP?

Quote Originally Posted by Thorianrage View Post
    What is most games? and how does this apply to the OP?
    The conversation went to what he'd need for his system at 60fps 1440p.
    Most games don't run that well at that resolution, even with my system (and Gsync).

Doom is just really well optimized but at the same time not that resource-hungry.

To really benchmark a card go for GTA V, for CPU you'd deff look at WoW. Period.

Deleted
    Most games don't run that well at that resolution, even with my system (and Gsync).

Doom is just really well optimized but at the same time not that resource-hungry.

To really benchmark a card go for GTA V, for CPU you'd deff look at WoW. Period.
    The ONLY demanding part of GTAV is draw distance and most games are not even anywhere close to being that kinda sandbox. I run every game above 60FPS on top settings @ 1440p.

Also you saying the best way to benchmark a CPU is goto WoW. I had no respect for you anyway but now i have less.

Deleted

Thats the very definition of optimised, to rule the game out because its so well made is an odd statement, a number of games are not well made, oddly enough, the games the OP put down he plays are non of those, he does not play WoW nor has he expressed interest in playing GTA5.

GTA5 runs well on mid to high settings and that game is not a looker, its just open world and not everyone plays it, I have no interest to play GTA5 so that benchmark is useless to me personally.

The ONLY demanding part of GTAV is draw distance and most games are not even anywhere close to being that kinda sandbox. I run every game above 60FPS on top settings @ 1440p.

Also you saying the best way to benchmark a CPU is goto WoW. I had no respect for you anyway but now i have less.
    You may run them, on a 60hz monitor without gsync So please, don't speak as if you know what you are talking about.

OP would be more than fine with a 1080 but the moment he decides to play a demanding triple A title, even with the monitor of his choice, he'd dip below 60 unless he lowers settings down from Ultra.

PS. Nobody cares about you or what you respect, steik. Stop trying to be personal on a gaming forum, it's pathetic

Deleted
    You may run them, on a 60hz monitor without gsync So please, don't speak as if you know what you are talking about.

OP would be more than fine with a 1080 but the moment he decides to play a demanding triple A title, even with the monitor of his choice, he'd dip below 60 unless he lowers settings down from Ultra.

PS. Nobody cares about you or what you respect, steik. Stop trying to be personal on a gaming forum, it's pathetic
    Said by the guy who claimed "Most games don't run that well at that resolution, even with my system (and Gsync)." Who is making what personal with your very first comparison?

If you took like 0.5 seconds away from trying to suck yourself off, you'd of clicked my sig to see i'm not running anything at 60FPS without gsync. But as i have validated links and you have a self made sig. We should trust you right?

Infracted - You can make your point without insulting people.
    Last edited by chazus; 2016-12-26 at 03:53 AM. Reason: Typo

Seriously, steik this is probably the last time I'll reply to you.
    Stop derailing topic, you are posting worthless stuff.
    Oh and added "validated link" just for you.

Back to topic:
    OP have you checked the specs on your monitor of choice (Dell U2715H)? Even for an IPS, the 8ms response time is a bit high, are you sure about this?
    Or you have it already?

Deleted
    Seriously, steik this is probably the last time I'll reply to you.
    Stop derailing topic, you are posting worthless stuff.
    Oh and added "validated link" just for you.

Back to topic:
    OP have you checked the specs on your monitor of choice (Dell U2715H)? Even for an IPS, the 8ms response time is a bit high, are you sure about this?
    Or you have it already?
    Cool so now you're on my level. Why does your PERSONAL opinion mean more than mine? You derailed this thread with a non related point so stop trying to act like you're somehow better than anyone here and shut the fuck up.

Cool so now you're on my level. Why does your PERSONAL opinion mean more than mine? You derailed this thread with a non related point so stop trying to act like you're somehow better than anyone here and shut the fuck up.
    would love to run your screen on my system to max it out

Or you have it already?
    Good point, thanks for de-derailing the thread

My current monitor is a Dell U2311H, which also has a 8ms reaction time, and it has never bothered me. It has worked great for years, which is why I want to get the direct upgrade.

I haven't bought it yet so if there are better alternatives, I'm open to suggestions.
    My Gaming Setup | WoW Paladin (retired)

"This is not a dress. This is a sacred robe of the ancient psychedelic monks."

Quote Originally Posted by Howard Moon View Post
    I haven't bought it yet so if there are better alternatives, I'm open to suggestions.
    Well, its entirely up to your personal requirements.

If you aren't dead set on a IPS monitor, for that 500ish euro budget there are plenty of 1ms 144Hz 2k monitors on the market. (Sadly with Freesync, not Gsync, but the Ultra-Low Blue Light option from brands like Asus can make up for that just fine)
    Check out Asus MG278Q / Acer XG270HU (latter being with worse looks, bezel wise, personal opinion).

Personally, I hate crappy viewing angles but also value response time so I went all out with mine, wouldn't revert my decision if I could but my choice isn't for everyone.
    Last edited by Azurenys; 2016-12-28 at 10:49 PM.