Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    People generally can't stand to have their views challenged, and when they can they refuse to engage in intelligent discussion that may result in compromise, or at least a deeper understanding of the other side. It's becoming increasingly rarer for people to engage in meaningful discussion about nearly any hot topic.

Instead, everyone who agrees with them is smart, and everyone else are a bunch of retarded brainwashed sheeple who need to wake up. Or whatever buzzphrase they can think of.
    “You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me.”
    – C.S. Lewis

10+ Year Old Account
    Didn't happen though did it mate?

Quote Originally Posted by solidstate101 View Post
    Has my dad gone too far with politics, or is this behavior normal?

1. Refuses to be friends with anyone that voted for Trump.
    2. Refuses to be friends with anyone that watches "Fox News".
    3. Every night is a drunken curse-fest while watching "MSNBC" political news.
    4. Has cut-off relationships with two of my older brothers because they voted for Trump.
    5. Has cut-off other relationships, both at work and online, as a result of them voting for Trump.

There's more but I can't remember atm.
    Yes.
    People are different. People have many varying views and beliefs. Judging them based on their views, then acting on that poor judgment shows a terrible flaw in logic and reasoning.
    People are treating politics too much like religion anymore. It's terrible, hurtful, and only adds to future problems.
    Quite often, the difference between an idiot and a genius is simply a matter of success rate.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennu View Post
    Why is it going too far if you don't want to associate with people who has views you do not share and find troublesome?
    Cause he's an adult, should probably start acting like when instead of a petulant child.

Quote Originally Posted by Gilgemesh View Post
    Yes.
    People are different. People have many varying views and beliefs. Judging them based on their views, then acting on that poor judgment shows a terrible flaw in logic and reasoning.
    People are treating politics too much like religion anymore. It's terrible, hurtful, and only adds to future problems.
    Judging people on their views and actions is exactly what you're supposed to judge people on.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Jotaux View Post
    So its pure speculation then? Its probably dishonest to just assume a decrease in voters is all one sided. I also wouldn't even look at the popular vote in an election process not designed for it. If you are a democrat in Texas what incentive do you have to vote at all or if you are a republican in California? I think the EC is garbage but that doesn't change the results.
    Like I said, it must have just been a coincidence.

Any numbers to back up your theory about turn out or is that pure speculation?
    "When Facism comes to America, it will be wrapped in a flag and carrying a cross." - Unknown

Yes.
    I second the above sentiment. How are we supposed to judge people if not for their views and/or actions.

10+ Year Old Account

4. Has cut-off relationships with two of my older brothers because they voted for Trump.
    5. Has cut-off other relationships, both at work and online, as a result of them voting for Trump.

1) We all have to decide what our deal-breakers are. As someone that has a wife and a gay relative, I have *at best* very tenuous relationships with Trump supporters. Would you fault someone for cutting ties with someone they discovered supported the KKK?

2) I refuse to accept at face value arguments from anyone who only consumes one source of news, but this feels like a proxy for #1.

3) Drinking every night on its' own is going too far.

4) See #1.

5) See #1
    indignantgoat.com/
    XBL: Indignant Goat | BattleTag: IndiGoat#1288 | SteamID: Indignant Goat[/B]

Sounds like those people are better off to not be around your dad.

Honestly, you have to pick your friends and spend your time selectively. It sounds like you think he should be friends with everyone? Well, not everyone gets along with everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by MysticSnow View Post
    I second the above sentiment. How are we supposed to judge people if not for their views and/or actions.
    Judging human beings based on the things they do isn't of itself a bad thing. Acting in terrible ways towards them because of those views is a different story. This is exactly how extremism is born.
    Is the question you have towards me being used in the context of the discussion at hand? Or is it being generalized and made larger to support a badly thought through idea?

The OP wasn't terribly forthcoming with all things involved, and probably doesn't know the entire story anyhow. But. People who destroy friendships and push away family based solely on their political views are always, ALWAYS doing the wrong thing. How can you help someone you love to understand your views if you have no compassion for theirs?

How can anything in this world change for the better if the outlook on choosing leaders is always you're either us or you're them? This mindset alone shows a poor judge of character being portrayed as right and just.

So you ask how else do you judge someone except by their actions? you don't, but you use compassion and mercy to temper your actions. You pick your battles. You let opinions go because everybody has one and all of us are at least a little full of shit. You don't say OH GOD a(insert political support, race, religion), YOU CANNOT TALK TO ME. That is 100% bigotry. 100%
    Last edited by Gilgemesh; 2016-12-27 at 03:50 PM.
    Quite often, the difference between an idiot and a genius is simply a matter of success rate.

Judging human beings based on the things they do isn't of itself a bad thing. Acting in terrible ways towards them because of those views is a different story. This is exactly how extremism is born.
    Is the question you have towards me being used in the context of the discussion at hand? Or is it being generalized and made larger to support a badly thought through idea?

The OP wasn't terribly forthcoming with all things involved, and probably doesn't know the entire story anyhow. But. People who destroy friendships and push away family based solely on their political views are always, ALWAYS doing the wrong thing. How can you help someone you love to understand your views if you have no compassion for theirs?

How can anything in this world change for the better if the outlook on choosing leaders is always you're either us or you're them? This mindset alone shows a poor judge of character being portrayed as right and just.

So you ask how else do you judge someone except by their actions? you don't, but you use compassion and mercy to temper your actions. You pick your battles. You let opinions go because everybody has one and all of us are at least a little full of shit. You don't say OH GOD a(insert political support, race, religion), YOU CANNOT TALK TO ME. That is 100% bigotry. 100%
    Not unless we are ostracizing bigots.

There's no compromise with bigotry, because it's like compromising with crime(oh let's agree to compromise that I get to rob 500k at the bank instead of a million or how about I severely maim you instead of murdering you in cold blood).
    "My successes are my own, but my failures are due to extremist leftist liberals" - Party of Personal Responsibility

Prediction for the future

Quote Originally Posted by PosPosPos View Post
    Not unless we are ostracizing bigots.

There's no compromise with bigotry, because it's like compromising with crime(oh let's agree to compromise that I get to rob 500k at the bank instead of a million or how about I severely maim you instead of murdering you in cold blood).

You can't just remove someone just because they are intolerant. That in itself is intolerance. You can't beat bigotry with bigotry.
    The only way a bigot learns to do be tolerant of others is by being forced to be around them. Stand your ground, show up, but do not push them away. Prove there is good on the other side even if they don't agree or like or even tolerate your presence.

It has become okay in our society to declare to others that "this is my safe place" and force anyone who doesn't agree out. It's bigotry. And it has become acceptable, even with the people preaching tolerance. The truth is...being around, being compassionate, and being good towards bigots-even if they won't tolerate you- is the only way to change a bigot's ways. Every other gambit, no matter how well intentioned, will push a bigot farther into bigotry.

10+ Year Old Account

Yep. Especially since it's obviously effecting his daily life now.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.” - General James Mattis

Drinking every night and yelling at the TV is indeed alcoholic behavior. Perhaps that is a little more concerning than his views in politics?

He just avoids idiots.

But 3. is also not very clever, especially with getting drunk. Sounds like he is alcoholic+ suffers depressions. But even without the alcohol. You need to watch all independence news, too. Check the news from the EU (BBC, RT and so on), check the news from liberals and progressives on Youtube. Just get a rich portfolio of information. Yes, you can also watch Fox News and some right wing outlets to get their perspective. Then you check their sources to the best of your abilities (google has powerful tools) and then you can decide who you think closest to the truth and honest. If you have interests in politics you can do that in your free time if you want to get a real perspective on what's happening in the world. You will soon find out that all have some bias in one direction or the other and sometimes even contradict them self to denounce their opponent. It makes you a bit jaded about politics and power in general since it seems to corrupt even those who started with best intentions.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by callipygoustp View Post
    Sounds like the actions of a child.
    That's Trump on Twitter.
    Last edited by Kryos; 2016-12-27 at 05:52 PM.
    Atoms are liars, they make up everything!

My condolences.
    Your father is a moron.

Quote Originally Posted by Bodakane View Post
    lol, all you've done is show you don't understand what racism, bigotry, xenophobia and sexism actually are.

And "comrade"? Really? The guy who voted for the first US POTUS to be a subservient lapdog to Russia (who actually tried to influence the election) is calling me comrade?

Just another shinning example of Conservative Hypocrisy™
    I know what racism is. Look at BLM. Turdnuggets every bit as stank as KKK and Panthers.

Bigotry? Hatred of idea's not your own. Hands down THE definition of the left. Disagree with the left and prepare to be harassed.

Sexism? Vote for HER because HER - if you don't, you are a traitor to women. Just like Vote for Obama because BLACK - if you don't, you are an Uncle Tom and a traitor to your people. Accomplishments (or lack thereof)? Doesn't matter... I'm with HER.

Dam right I'll call you Comrade. Especially when there is actual PROOF of Hillary selling out to Russians. ACTUAL money changed hands and something DEFINITIVE came out of it. Russia affected the election? Sure... by proving that the Democrats ACTUALLY affected the election - and that's IGNORING the fact that the SOURCES have said out right - no confusing words - the leaks came from inside the US.

Hypocrite? Don't throw stones in glass houses Comrade Bod.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Erythros View Post
    i agree, there's definately a slow and steady scaling to this 'group madness', in the past things were more moderate, Republicans used to have respected presidents with whom no matter how much you disagreed with certain political choices of theirs you also had to recognize them as reasonably effective statesmen and representatives of an ideology

George Bush Jr and his indiscriminate war on terror started pushing it a bit too far, but still he was not that bad, he also had some pretty rough times under his presidency, so i can understand him i guess

and now it's Trump, this time it's just ridiculous, the guy is a disgrace and i have no words to describe him, i can't believe how people of our age, with all that information at their disposal can be so stupid... it almost feels like a leap back to the dark ages, when demagogues and charlatans manipulated the masses to believe and do absurd things, also their sheer mockery of anything rational that even remotely resembles intellectualism (like the denial of basic science) is disturbingly familiar with Mussolini's fascism, i always thought that most americans had a very strong resistance to those crap, but these types might actually be so stupid that could fall into fascism without even realizing it...
    I've said it before and I'll say it again... Trump has issues. I am a supporter but he is VERY much human and flawed.

If you want to know why Trump got chosen? It's 2 reasons:

1) he's not a politician. This was the year against the establishment. That's why none of the big-hitters on the right made it. That's why Hillary should have lost to Bern - an outsider as well.

2) He's not Hillary. Both have been in the public eye for DECADES. You can fix the filter that damages around Trump. Most of it is perception and spin around his mouth not being filtered like a seasoned politician... You can't fix the scandals that have plagued Hillary, year after year.

At the end of the day, Trump is a wild-card... he could be bad... he could be good. Hillary was Wall-Street, Elite, Establishment with decades of skeletons in the Foundations closet.

Just my 2c, but Trump is a global brand. He's been center/moderate - flipping from R to D through the years. He will ACTUALLY work with both sides - unlike the current administration - and definitely unlike Hillary who blames all her problems on everything but herself.
    Last edited by WernerCD; 2016-12-28 at 12:14 AM.
    [color=blue]This thread has lived beyond its life expectancy. ... It's also met the forum quota for posters insulting the intelligence of their peers to grasp the age-old upper hand in argumentation, I believe officially coined by Plato: "Ur, like, dumb and that's why I'm right." Zarhym

Quote Originally Posted by Grym View Post
    Nope it is totally acceptable.

Because what you voted for, in his point of view, has, or would have, create a negative impact for them, so in a way, your very vote caused them harm.

So why wouldn't he disown you when you made his life worse?

Friends, family, if they done something that has a negative effect on you, it is totally acceptable to unfriend them or disown them.
    There is so much bs here I'm not sure where to begin. Trump hasn't even taken office. How is his life, at this moment, any different? What a cop out justification for him acting like a damn child.

@op. Sounds like number three on your list is the biggest problem. It can be a catalyst to the rest of that. Assuming what you are saying is true of course. It's not like people to totally lie on mom-c to cause reactions or get attention.

7+ Year Old Account
    All that moves is easily heard in the void.

In my opinion, yes. If we don't associate with people that don't agree with us 100%, we would all be living alone.

In fact, one of the reasons for extremism today is that far too many people bury themselves in news, websites and friends that just agree with their opinions instead of seeking out the actual truth of the matter. We are raising a generation of Republicans and Democrats that will believe anything their side says is true without actually questioning what is really going on.

Having healthy debates (real debates based on evidence, facts and logic without fallacies) is important to understanding the reality of the world around us.

Deleted
    My father in law is starting to get into politics, i might not have the exact same view on politics like he does, but that dosent mean we can talk about politics like a normal person can without getting unfriended and what not..

Since when it comes that far, its just plain stupid..