Thread: Ninja-pulling.

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by iAardvark View Post
    Hello there!

I was wondering how you guys feel about ninja-pulling?
    I'd like some viewpoints from both sides, meaning DPS and my fellow tanks.

Personally I get frustrated whenever someone pulls before I'm ready to engage. Sometimes they pull larger packs than I know I can handle, get themselves killed and blames me for it.

How do you deal with it?

Best regards,

iAardvark
    If a DPS decided to pull i wont engage until they are dead. You spank it you tank it. That doesn't make me a "bad tank" as other in this post say, it just shows im not going to deal with moronic dps, you want to tank? Roll one

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by potis View Post
    I am just not bad at the game i play for 12 years, sorry.
    What you are is a complete Moron

i currently perform all roles, tanking, melee, ranged and healing with my paladin and warlock and ninja pulling is fine in easy content but when it happens in +7 and higher it gets annoying really fast because of the affixes like necrotic or raging.

if dps ninja pull its because they can handle more and deal with the amount of mobs efficiently which means you should do your thing faster, speed tanking is a thing. that is my viewpoint from tanking.

from dps i ninja pull when the tank is being slow in daily hc i almost solo the instance because the tank is often left behind. im sorry i dont have time in my day to prolong my daily hc with 5mins. in mythic+ i never ninja pull without telling the tank first.

from healing perspective. couldnt give a shit unless we wipe which is often because of volcanic affix or the tank getting raped too hard without kiting/using CD's

ninja pulling if done right, is a very strong tool to speed up the game but its high risk - high reward.

Deleted
    thank you to some of the obvious DPS players in here reminding me why i hate most DPS players.

as for ninja-pulling, have fun, do it, i'll try to pick it up if you're anywhere within range, if you ninja-pull by accident, i'll pick it up guaranteed, but if you start acting like a dick and doing terribly bad pulls on purpose i'm either gonna let you die repeatedly or have you kicked since i lead or co-lead all my groups.

you could say tanks aren't needed, but dps are also very expendable aswell as much quicker to replace.

Depends.

Bad player not managing their AoE? They need to work that out.

Player getting a head start on the next mob or pulling stuff to me? No big deal. They are simply doing their job. In any relevant content, this is preferable. Threat is nothing.

WoW is very strict about roles, but in general players are too close minded even for WoW's narrow roles. It's close-mindedness like this that makes people lose their minds when they hear about something simple like resto shamans interrupting or healers pushing DPS.

10+ Year Old Account
    I kinda base it depending on the person doing the pulling.

If it's a healer who can easily keep me alive, no harm. If it's a healer who's forcing me to use every CD/pot under the sun, I'll tell them to fuck off.

If it's a DPS who's carrying the group and isn't doing it in an obnoxious way, it's fine. If it's a DPS who's doing sweet fuck all, not interrupting/stunning/killing priority targets, they can fuck off too.

Basically just take control of the group as a tank. Don't be a pussy, tell people what to do if you need to, as if you can't even imagine them not doing what you say. You're setting the tempo.

When I use to play ninja pulling never bothered me. I just felt if we had an over zealous dps I would just try to go faster since a lot of the times the DPS doing it was pretty powerful. The only time it bothered me was if it resulted in a wipe somewhere. Like the pulling with people almost dead or a healer with no mp. At that point though I just vote kick them and move on with my life and keep going while waiting for another dps to join. What typically happens for me though after an expansion has been out for a while is I just non-stop pull as a tank straight to bosses and hope the DPS can kill stuff while on the move.

Quote Originally Posted by Gehco View Post
    That is true, but doesn't help if people pull out more, and the team can't handle it either. I've experienced those scenarios, even to the point of the DPS running in three directions, all pulling mobs back, and them half dead.
    It all really depends on who you ask. I've never been in a mythic+ group that overpulled when the tank was going at a good speed, but you have which means it does happen.

However I have been the one to pull when the tank is going extremely slow and continues to go slow even after I ask him to pull more (I'm the healer).

So it really depends on who you ask. It's also a good idea to observe the group before making that decision though. Need to be sure everyone can handle going fast.

I pull as much as I can handle, if some one is pulling any extra, I simply would let them deal with those extra mobs them selves.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by iAardvark View Post
    Hello there!

I was wondering how you guys feel about ninja-pulling?
    I'd like some viewpoints from both sides, meaning DPS and my fellow tanks.

Personally I get frustrated whenever someone pulls before I'm ready to engage. Sometimes they pull larger packs than I know I can handle, get themselves killed and blames me for it.

How do you deal with it?
    Depends so much on the context where this happens.

If someone is derping in highlevel mythic keystone, then that's kinda shitty and I make sure never to invite them again.
    If it happens in random HC or LFR.. who cares really, anything that makes it go faster is good.
    If it's a guild raid, I'll tell them to calm down and ask wtf they're up to.

If everyone lives and it makes things die faster without wiping the group - then that's clearly a win for everyone. As long as your group can handle the pace, it's fine, I don't care who pulls really.

If people wipe/die because of it, I'll ask the person doing it to stop.

Quote Originally Posted by cuafpr View Post
    you pull it you tank it, that simple...
    If I pull it and u don't press 1 aoe button ill invis and watch the healer die.

Even on my tank I don't mind dpsing pulling stuff to me. Its not hard to get snap agro on something passing by.

Quote Originally Posted by stomination View Post
    If I pull it and u don't press 1 aoe button ill invis and watch the healer die.

Even on my tank I don't mind dpsing pulling stuff to me. Its not hard to get snap agro on something passing by.
    and i'll bop the healer and get you kicked.. done it many of times. i do my job, dps does theres. Don't like find it another tank, idc.
    Member: Dragon Flight Alpha Club, Member since 7/20/22

and i'll bop the healer and get you kicked.. done it many of times. i do my job, dps does theres. Don't like find it another tank, idc.
    Yea I'm sure you will be able to do that. Its going to be hard to get anything done while kicking every dps because you are unable to do your role well.

Quote Originally Posted by stomination View Post
    Yea I'm sure you will be able to do that. Its going to be hard to get anything done while kicking every dps because you are unable to do your role well.
    haven't had an issue yet, been tanking since midway through TBC. DPS's job isn't to pull.

10+ Year Old Account
    This is a little outdated thinking by now...

Its more like, if a mob is pulled, do your fucking job and tank regardless of intent of the pull.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaylock View Post

Its more like, if a mob is pulled, do your fucking job and tank regardless of intent of the pull.
    roll a tank yourself then, my ass isn't tanking it if i don't pull it, less it was an accident, run ahead and pull a pack and i stand there. I'm yet to get kicked for it, but seen several dead dps.

This, a hundred times over. (unless its accidentally, that tab targeting though)

When I was a bit younger (21) I was still slightly apprehensive about tanking, I was a prot pally. But decided to go for it, first dungeon in, I tell the group "hey guys, new to tanking, first dungeon, won't be slow, but won't be a zerg fest". Healers fine with it, one dps is fine with it, one dps is taking the micky but nothing more bit of banter really. The last dps (ofc a hunter), decided he would tank everything with his dragonhawk.

Gave him one warning not to pull, ignored
    Gave him a second warning, ignored
    Gave him a final warning, he said lol and ignored.

So I sat my ass down outside the boss room, he proceeded to pull it, wiped the 4 of them. At which point I'm getting abuse from the two DPS. Healers like "Well he did warn you". Needless to say after 15 minutes of this, I get kicked, I don't blame the healer or the nice dps for accepting it, its their time being wasted as well. Best part though, I entered the que, and got exactly the same group. So I sat my ass down and because they had initiated a kick, they couldn't again. The two DPS left, two new ones joined, I said what I said at the start, we had a smooth run, easy.

TLR Don't be a cunt to a tank whos can just be a bigger cunt.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Jaylock View Post

No its not, if a DPS in a pug is intentionally pulling a mob because they've got a stick up their arse, I'm not tanking shit for them,

If its an accidental, then I'll pick it up

To all the "you pull it, you tank it" people... I can vanish....

Quote Originally Posted by Kaito92 View Post
    Wow even after all these years after world of tankcraft now some tanks are still entitled as fuck
    cause ya know requesting DPS to do their job while tanks do theirs and healer do there is entitled......

7+ Year Old Account
    It depends on the situation. Did they pull accidentally? Did a pat sneak up behind us? Did someone's tab target go bonkers? Sure, I'll do what I can to try to handle it if I'm a healer or tank.

Are they running ahead and pulling intentionally without any communication or coordinating with the group? You pull it, you tank it.

If you play a dps, your answer will be that you are fine with it, the tanks should be pulling faster and they have the tools to cope. In short, dps stands for special snowflake that should dictate every aspect of play.

If, you are a tank, you will be upset, because it is your job to dictate flow since you are the keystone of the instance and dps are a dime a dozen. In short, tank stands for special snowflake that should dictate every aspect of play.

TL: DR People are assholes.