Searching for a new fantasy-based MMORPG - looking for suggestions

Hi all –

Thank you for taking the time to read this post. I am searching for a new fantasy-based MMORPG and was hoping for a few suggestions.

Background
    • Ex-WoW player (about 7 years), but quit some time back. The game got too focused on raiding and although I enjoyed to raid, real life didn’t allow for it like it used to
    • Don’t really like science fiction, more of an elves and dragons kind of guy

Looking for
    • Something simpler – mainly involving leveling a character through quests, etc. With a limited play schedule, I would prefer little or no need for organized group activities, etc. Also, achievements, pet battles, etc. are OK, but result in more time being consumed
    • Pay or free is OK

Any suggestions?

Many thanks,
    Kurt

Only for story leveling: SWTOR, WoW mechanics with lightsabers and voice storylines, not dragons obviously, despite it being a WoW clone with lightsabers i can admit the whole voice questing can be quite entertaining for the fans of it.

GW2 can be quite okay for leveling, takes awhile cause of the 80 levels required, maybe 85 now i dont remember but its not so bad, most quests can be completed on spot too, contains dragons :P

FFXIV is the latest trend to jump to from WoW but i do not know its "solo content" potential.

The rest arent worth mentioning.

Basically for me you should try Guilds Wars 2, it doesnt require a party almost ever, it has shared loot/quests on anything, the same way WoW has in Legion finally and its more polished than the rest crap out there, and it is not WoW or a copy so you will be playing something new
    Last edited by potis; 2016-12-28 at 12:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kurto55 View Post
    Hi all –

Thank you for taking the time to read this post. I am searching for a new fantasy-based MMORPG and was hoping for a few suggestions.

Background
    • Ex-WoW player (about 7 years), but quit some time back. The game got too focused on raiding and although I enjoyed to raid, real life didn’t allow for it like it used to
    • Don’t really like science fiction, more of an elves and dragons kind of guy

Looking for
    • Something simpler – mainly involving leveling a character through quests, etc. With a limited play schedule, I would prefer little or no need for organized group activities, etc. Also, achievements, pet battles, etc. are OK, but result in more time being consumed
    • Pay or free is OK

Any suggestions?

Many thanks,
    Kurt
    For P2p I recommend Final Fantasy XIV.

For F2p there is...

Guild Wars 2 (It has a small bit of Science Fiction) but it also has the dragon's and elves u like. Like I said its f2p as well (The base game anyway) the expansion does cost.

Those are the only ones I can think of ATM. IMO FFXIV will fit u better, there is a tone of solo content and what grouping content you do have to do can be done via LFD.

FFXIV has a free trial that lets u play to level 20 as well.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

Final Fantasy XIV is great. Gorgeous game, awesome story that's really involved from the beginning to the end, you can play every class on a single character and you can do dungeon content easily with the group finder. It's a little more slowly paced because of a longer GCD but your actions tend to matter more so it's rewarding in its own way.

You can play the trial before you decide to buy the game, I heartily recommend it. It's sub based, $15 a month I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Ifeanychukwu View Post
    Final Fantasy XIV is great. Gorgeous game, awesome story that's really involved from the beginning to the end, you can play every class on a single character and you can do dungeon content easily with the group finder. It's a little more slowly paced because of a longer GCD but your actions tend to matter more so it's rewarding in its own way.

You can play the trial before you decide to buy the game, I heartily recommend it. It's sub based, $15 a month I think.
    You can get the Entry sub which is a tad cheaper. Only downside is you can only have 1 character per server instead of 8 per server. But one character can be all classes so entry is enough imo. I just make an alt on another server. I got an alt on Hyperion and Phoenix.

As the others has mentioned Guild Wars 2 is pretty damn amazing. I would still play it, but I'm too addicted to some other game at the moment. :P
    Also you could take a look at Wildstar, I have tried it some months ago and I really liked the leveling experience. Not to mention the whole game has unique mechanics which are really cool.

"Do I care for the lives of mortals? No. Do you care for the lives of ants that crawls beneath your feet?"

Signature by the awesome Winter Blossom

15+ Year Old Account
    Elder Scrolls Online.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

I would say guild wars 2, maybe elder scrolls if you dont care about the single player games since it butchers most of the lore. FFXIV is great, its my favourite mmorpg BUT its Final Fantasy which means a lot of "this hyper advanced sci-fi tech is an ancient civilisations ruins, so take this teleporter to a floating series of mechanical platforms to fight a giant robot with your sword and spells" type stuff and while i love it it is not tolkeinesque by any means.

Throwing my vote in for Elder Scrolls Online. It's awesome these days.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fibby76 View Post
    Throwing my vote in for Elder Scrolls Online. It's awesome these days.
    It's exactly what the OP is looking for, if ESO doesn't fit him - then no MMORPG does.
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.

Quote Originally Posted by Puupi View Post
    It's exactly what the OP is looking for, if ESO doesn't fit him - then no MMORPG does.
    Hmm... I'm a big Elder Scrolls fan, but I never tried ESO. Maybe I should give it a shot?

"Do I care for the lives of mortals? No. Do you care for the lives of ants that crawls beneath your feet?"

Signature by the awesome Winter Blossom

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrick View Post
    Hmm... I'm a big Elder Scrolls fan, but I never tried ESO. Maybe I should give it a shot?
    Well you should, the game is on 50% sale right now as well. 15 euros for the standard version, so not a terrible economic disaster if you don't end up enjoying it.

You can find it on both Steam and the game website.

Thanks for the suggestion. To make sure I looked this up correctly, once you make the initial purchase of ESO, there is not monthly fee, etc.?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kurto55 View Post
    Thanks for the suggestion. To make sure I looked this up correctly, once you make the initial purchase of ESO, there is not monthly fee, etc.?
    Yep, it's buy to play. If you want access to the new DLC content, you need to buy them separately OR subscribe to the game for a monthly fee which gives you access to everything. Subscription also gives you 1500 crowns monthly (the currency used in the store) and you can buy those DLC things or other stuff with it.

Please use the existing megathread for game requests.

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...Suggest-a-Game