Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Nexx226 View Post
    I wasn't disagreeing with that notion.

Also, it's chess.
    I may have read what you said wrong and ya typos ftw
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

Deleted
    Actually, I would like to see her play to one number 1 male tennis player.

Only way to know for sure how she holds up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Creamy Flames View Post
    It's been proven? I'm not actually saying that men have a lower pain threshhold, but I would want you to support your statement if it's actually been proven.
    It's a hard thing to prove apparently because pain is subjective, I read a better study some years ago but I can't find it anymore.

I did find a couple of very long studies if you wanna do some reading though:
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/art...93998/#S8title
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/art...7686/#S40title

Short summary of the last one:
    We have attempted to thoroughly, if not comprehensively, review the recent literature regarding sex differences in clinical pain, experimental pain sensitivity, and response to pain treatment, and several conclusions can be confidently drawn from the available evidence. First, the prevalence of most common forms of pain is higher among women than men, and women report greater pain after invasive procedures than men, though these findings are less consistent. Second, compared with men, women display enhanced sensitivity to most forms of experimentally induced pain (with the exception of is-chemic pain).

A guy who was dominant in College Football can't claim to be among "the greatest" if he never gets anywhere in the NFL. Just ask Tebow... He doesn't get to hide behind his genitals or skin color. You want to be counted amongst their ranks, you have to literally play in their league.

Darling, you can't be called the greatest ever in a sport if you can't beat the best (men). It has nothing to do with your gender or race. If a black transgender with a penis and tits could beat men and win numerous grand slams against the best in the sport, they'd be considered as one of the greatest.
    Last edited by Twix; 2016-12-28 at 01:22 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Shakadam View Post
    It's a hard thing to prove apparently because pain is subjective, I read a better study some years ago but I can't find it anymore.

I did find a couple of very long studies if you wanna do some reading though:
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/art...93998/#S8title
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/art...7686/#S40title

Short summary of the last one:
    I've seen studies state this and that. It seems as you say highly subjective. Pain varies between individuals too, such as your background, your job and your mental state.
    It's also very important to not culture. Culture alters behavior and it's perfectly possible that it's in our culture for women to more often express pain. We all know that men aren't supposed to cry or complain.

Wait what...she's not even the greatest female player. She couldn't hope to compete in the field of men.
    Dragonflight Summary, "Because friendship is magic"

Now assuming she was a man, and her level of tennis was not altered by the change in gender. Then no, she would be unlikely to get into contention, as her level while impressive for the sport she is in for her gender, it's not up to the same level as the top males. Now assuming that her body as a male would receive a similar change in performance to that of a male who undergoes similar training, then yes there is a good chance she could do well as a male competitor.
    But if I were perfectly fit, healthy, and spent my life training to beat the best in tennis the odds would be good I could do well in the sport as well. So the suggestion really does lose all it's merit, she's likely to be considered the greatest female tennis player for decades to come. But I doubt she'll ever manage to consistently defeat the best tennis players in the world today.
    So no, her non inclusion in the discussion of the greatest tennis player is not due to sexism, nor racism, but just the fact that the best tennis players around would be able to defeat her consistently.

As we know, women have to break down many barriers on the road to success. One of those barriers is the way we are constantly reminded we are not men, as if it is a flaw. People call me one of the “world’s greatest female athletes.” Do they say LeBron is one of the world’s best male athletes?
    No, because the qualifier isn't needed. You play against competition that are not actually among the top thousand tennis players in the world. Disagree? Get on out there and put a whoopin' on Djokovic and everyone will consider you to actually be the greatest tennis player in the world. Until then, you're the greatest female athlete - be glad that this qualifier exists at all, because no one would have ever heard of you if you were being judged by a unisex physical standard.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    Honestly I get why Serena Williams should just be angry at life. She is by far better than most of her female competitors yet she makes less money because she is not a pretty white blonde. But that has nothing to do with white male privilege and more to do with beauty standards.
    Yeah, I can see why someone that's made tens of millions of dollars playing tennis would walk around angry at life. That makes perfect sense. Someone else got more money, so being bitter and angry is a pretty good way to think about things

15+ Year Old Account
    “Because just as important to me as her victories is her willingness to be an emotionally complete person while also being black. She wins, yes, but she also loses it. She jokes around, gets angry, is frustrated or joyous, and on and on. She is fearlessly on the side of Serena, in a culture that has responded to living while black with death.”
    What the hell does that mean? Am I weird for thinking that sounds genuinely racist?

Quote Originally Posted by Revi View Post
    What the hell does that mean? Am I weird for thinking that sounds genuinely racist?
    A lot of writing about race sounds really weird if it's not coming from someone like super-genius Ta-Nehisi Coates where it gets the benefit of the doubt. All of the babble about "black bodies", for example, is a peculiar and ham-handed way for secular people to avoid using the term "souls", but creates an odd new academic jargon that has come into favor with people that do a certain sort of writing.

Nature is sexist, what can one do.

Quote Originally Posted by Revi View Post
    It does seem racist to me aswell. It implies blacks to be less.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

7+ Year Old Account
    I'm confused, i thought she was a man?

let her play on the men's tour, see how that goes. im sure 3 out of 5 sets is a bit diff. than 2 out of 3. would be nice to see how that goes.. lol

Deleted
    She is the greatest. I don't see the debate. I can't think of anyone more dominant in individual sport in my life time.

Quote Originally Posted by ctd123 View Post
    She is the greatest. I don't see the debate. I can't think of anyone more dominant in individual sport in my life time.
    The greatest what though? The obvious answer is "female tennis player" - any other answer would be obviously silly. Even there, Stephie Graf has a pretty reasonable claim; Graf's actual resume is better and pro-Serena arguments have to hinge on preferring the modern competition. Which, really, is pretty ironic when considering that she wants to be compared to men without reference to competition...

She should be thankfull that there is a female tennis competition where she can earn all that money for not even doing 50% of what the males have to do. Seems like a good deal for me. Work less get paid more - complain about how sexist / racist the wolrd is .

Also pretty sure most athletes use some kind of (right now legal/undiscovered/statefounded) doping it wouldnt suprise me if she is the next one to get busted.. I mean look at her body doesnt look very natural.
    Last edited by lonely zergling; 2016-12-28 at 02:16 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    I can!.. several! but they are not black or women, so if i mention them , it would be racist/sexest? we all know the SJW would screem it.

Quote Originally Posted by Collegeguy View Post
    Didn't she lose to a man ranked far far lower than her in a match.
    Women haven't even been able to compete with men in golf, much less sports where they are physically competing head-to-head. Call it sexist, or not, but it's just a fact that men are the physically dominant ones of the species. I'm pretty sure sporting ability wasn't high on nature/evolution's list(s) when male and female attributes were decided upon.

- - - Updated - - -

Michael Phelps would like a word with you.

Serena Williams: ‘If I were a man,’
    Umm, you look pretty close to a man.

Quote Originally Posted by Direpenguin View Post
    Michael Phelps would like a word with you.
    Usain Bolt is also worth a mention.