Page 28 of 38 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    I remember how fun mother shahraz farming was.
    Farm shadow elementals in netherstorm all day, farm trash all night. You either had to kill supremus and wait, to maximize trash, or clear to shahraz trash and have 1/4 of the farm opportunities.
    Oh and you couldn't buy hearts of darkness from any other guild, cus they still needed that shit themselves.

*looks back fondly*

Also, ashtongue ruse.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yep and then 3.0 hit, we all stormed in and spanked da mommy w/o any resistance gear at all. ._.

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    Okay..so "Onyxia scales were a joke" whatever that means. I remember them as a fucking cockblock to get 40 people plus replacements ready for the relevant fights in BWL (and that is ignoring the attunement to Onyxia) and anything compared to that in Legion is a joke.
    Only MTs needed those cloaks during progression. And on farm it was easy to provide everyone with one as several scales were gained from each ony kill. Although not needed as well. In our guild everyone had it and it wasn't a problem at all.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post
    Absolutely, without a doubt 95% of all people who ask for the old times have VERY .... euphemistic memories of said time.
    I played from two weeks after launch... There are definitely things I miss from Vanilla raiding, but I think we're overall better off now.

Specifically, for a 'casual raiding guild', you could have a much more diverse roster, and the difficulty was, well, different.

Mechanically, fights are much more difficult now, and they're balanced around a much more sophisticated average player. If you could fill a 40-man roster with average Heroic progression raiders from the current game, you'd be getting realm-firsts left and right. In Vanilla, the challenge was more in the realm of logistical, social, and preparation-oriented challenges. Building an officer structure and recruiting. Managing a DKP system, and explaining it to people. Do we have enough hunters with Tranq shot? FR Gear. TUBERS.

An old-school 'raiding guild' (not talking top competitive guilds- those have mostly stayed the same in nature) had a much different feel to it. There was a far broader cross-section of players. Also, I think people were, on average, more patient, as they've never experienced LFG/LFR. I prefer today's game overall, but I miss the emphasis on social=successful in the older game. (Part of it, I know, is that I don't 'buy in' as much as I used to- the curse of being 12 years older )
    indignantgoat.com/
    XBL: Indignant Goat | BattleTag: IndiGoat#1288 | SteamID: Indignant Goat[/B]

I'm having fun personally. Knowing that whatever I do is powering up my character whenever I play gives me motivation to play (via artifact power.)

Also, I know it's not a popular thing but... the thought of getting a Legendary and increasing my chances every time I do content also motivates me to play.

Instanced PvP is also a lot more fun and the prestige system motivates me even more to play.

In terms of getting people to actually play the game even after a few months... this expansion is fantastic.

Quote Originally Posted by Celeclop View Post
    I'm having fun personally. Knowing that whatever I do is powering up my character whenever I play gives me motivation to play (via artifact power.)

Also, I know it's not a popular thing but... the thought of getting a Legendary and increasing my chances every time I do content also motivates me to play.

Instanced PvP is also a lot more fun and the prestige system motivates me even more to play.

In terms of getting people to actually play the game even after a few months... this expansion is fantastic.
    Have you ever tried progression quest?

It seems to be the pure form of what you enjoy in entertainment. Its free give it a shot.

http://progressquest.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Foxies View Post
    Havoc 41, almost 42. Vengeance 35. 880 ilvl. Over 2800 WQs completed, 4 legendaries, clearing HC raids to experience the content since I PvP mainly, clearing weekly M+12 sometimes even higher. 41.5d /played on max level, no other toon over level 100 and I still love it like the first day Legion got released! I have no idea what the hell are you guys talking about! When I've done all of the above I can always join random BGs or some Arenas and sometimes I simply play with WeakAuras I made and snipe AH. Absolutely love Legion!
    This is what Blizzard designed Legion for. It's not an alt grindfest like WoD, it rewards players who grind additional content on 1 toon much more than it rewards playing several toons.

My main is my Ret Paladin who already has 4 legendaries and my alt mage is barely played because I'd rather spend more time grinding high end M+ than playing an alt until 1.5 hits and I can catch up my mage's AK. For now though playing my main exclusively is much more satisfying because I can do a lot more to optimize it than in previous expansions where raid lockouts were much more finite.

Being able to grind raid quality loot from M+ is awesome and people who don't take advantage of it are really missing out on what makes Legion great.

No one, except a few OCD wannabe whiners does.
    Every human with even an ounce of common sense immediately noticed that this was not the intention.
    Problem is getting into mythic raiding if you come in late...

Having to wait 4-6 weeks to build artifact research so you have some hope of catching up really isn't fun. Right now the best way for me to progress is run heroic and mythic raid farms do mythic 12 then log off.

Getting ap at my current research level is kinda pointless.

Quote Originally Posted by pagepro View Post
    This causes the game to become stale quickly. I am in a mythic guild that is 7/7 2/3 and we have had people quit due to being burned out.

This doesn't include needing to farm gold and herbs and AUGMENT RUNES outside of raid which is another 2-4 hours in itself.
    You're in a 9/10 Mythic guild that doesnt provide foods/flasks/etc? Man, that's a huge problem entirely.
    GM of Death Jesters - Stormrage US - Daddy Ashbringer
    Twitch.tv/spartysmallwood
    Building a better community, one player at a time.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by primalmatter View Post
    Oh I believe that one.
    But it has always been quite hard to jump in when you are late, esp since they introduced the "volks legendaries" in MoP.

Quote Originally Posted by PPHH View Post
    Please mention a expansion where you didn't grind?
    To be fair it wasnt "that" prominant in WOTLK, even if it still existed.

Oh I believe that one.
    But it has always been quite hard to jump in when you are late, esp since they introduced the "volks legendaries" in MoP.
    Not really it used to take about two weeks. You just went to a heroic raid run then a mythic farm boss run then repeat one more time and bam your good to go.

Granted if you are a new player to the scene it takes about fours weeks rather then two but people always exaggerate how hard it is to get into mythic raiding. At least on raid realms*

Bah never mind forgot about the wel fare legendaries last time I had to jump back into raiding was cata before that garbage was added.

Having to wait 4-6 weeks to build artifact research so you have some hope of catching up really isn't fun. Right now the best way for me to progress is run heroic and mythic raid farms do mythic 12 then log off.

Getting ap at my current research level is kinda pointless.
    You make it sound like people could get into decent Mythic guilds with little investment.
    well, other than trade chat troopers that promises you a core spot and has officers with previous mythic experience, ofc.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bergmann620 View Post
    Also, I think people were, on average, more patient, as they've never experienced LFG/LFR. I prefer today's game overall, but I miss the emphasis on social=successful in the older game. (Part of it, I know, is that I don't 'buy in' as much as I used to- the curse of being 12 years older )
    Heheh, I do know how it feels. I too changed quite a bit in my 10 years of playing WoW.

Though to be honest: can't speak for vanilla, but TBC wasn't all that social, really.
    Sure you strategized a bit in 5mans here and there but 90% of the time communication went like this:

Hi
    Moon = Sheep
    Star = Sap
    Square = Frost trap
    Diamond = fear / succ

lets go.

*A mostly silent run with one person planting the marks*

If all went well, sometimes I got asked whether they can friend me for future runs.

As for raids: I was on a VERY small server. PuGs were nonexistent. If you wanted to raid 25man you had to join a raid guild (quite a bummer, because I started out in a tiny social guild, that couldn't handle more than infrequent and gimpy karazhan runs).

Once inside a raiding guild. Well the guilds I have seen didn't change much over the expansions. Strict discipline 3day/week raiding schedules with the occasional non raiding content runs. You basically did the whole game with your guild at that point and contact with other randoms was ... rare. Esp once they introduced DF in Wrath and pimped the 5mans in cata. Ugh. So preferred to run with guild members.

As you can see: even the old WoW wasn't all that social for me. Never was part of any server community at all.

Quote Originally Posted by kary View Post
    You make it sound like people could get into decent Mythic guilds with little investment.
    well, other than trade chat troopers that promises you a core spot and has officers with previous mythic experience, ofc.
    It isn't hard... apply to a heroic raiding guild run with them once or twice while using coins to gear then move on to a mythic guild until your skill starts to cap out.

Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    I've spent the last few expansions making sure to play Alts. I would grind one out...get them decently geared then jump on another.

Legion though....I spend WAY too much time on maintaining my Main that I don't have a lot of time to put into my alts. So with that, I bowed out. I HATE being stuck on one person, it's not my idea of fun. I was able to float between all my characters and have SOME kind of progress. Legion though just takes TOO much of my time to maintain them all

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainV View Post
    To be fair it wasnt "that" prominant in WOTLK, even if it still existed.
    Sons of Hodir *cough* gotta polish that .. umm .. helm!

Sons of Hodir *cough* gotta polish that .. umm .. helm!
    I one up your sons of Hodir with my Ogrilla card.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainV View Post
    I one up your sons of Hodir with my Ogrilla card.
    Oy! Nothing against the color laser memory thingy in Ogrila.
    That was my "I'll finance your 5K gold epic mount" buddy!

It isn't hard... apply to a heroic raiding guild run with them once or twice while using coins to gear then move on to a mythic guild until your skill starts to cap out.
    Yep you'll end up in a trade chat guild, lol.
    But sure. whatever.