Headset or Microphone? Help me choose !

Ok so I need to get more serious about my stuff.

I use a old sennheiser headset, and we'll its just dosen't cut it anymore. I hate spending money, but people deserve better.

So snowball / ice, or go for a more exspensive Yeti or Røde ?

OR A HEADSET?

What is the best option? Say I dont wanna spend more than 300 dollars MAAAAX, anything closer to 100 is better.
    Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/djuntas ARPG - RTS - MMO

Blue Yeti Pro is probably the best mic for the price there is.

Quote Originally Posted by Gorgodeus View Post
    Blue Yeti Pro is probably the best mic for the price there is.
    Is pro worth that much extrea over the standard? It seems almost double price? Seems Yeti is about 1100 DKK KR in my country, where pro is about 2000.

Quote Originally Posted by Djuntas View Post
    Is pro worth that much extrea over the standard? It seems almost double price? Seems Yeti is about 1100 DKK KR in my country, where pro is about 2000.
    The Pro is worth the extra money if you are doing any kind of recording with it. If you want to see the differences, check this out:

Deleted
    If you want to buy a really solid microphone then i would suggest to buy the shure sm 58 or the 57. Both are pretty much indestructible and give a very good sound. The only downside is that you will need something to plug it in, a computer will not have this input. But it will last you for years, you do not need to have it very close (mine is about a meter away from me and it has no trouble what so ever to pick up my voice when i want it to) and pretty cheap, only a 100 bucks for a new one.

Ended up with a standard Yeti silver About 200 dollars, still too much for me, but now I hope I will enjoy it. Thanks all.

Why do you want a microphone instead of a headset?

I have a friend with the Blue Yeti microphone and I hear his typing, when he stands up, if something moves or he bumps the desk. Everyone else has headsets, the worse I hear is breathing or eating and then yell at them to move their mic further away from their mouth.

Unless you're doing voice recording, streaming, etc. I find no use in getting a standalone microphone.

Edit: Saw your purchase post. Good luck.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Towstie View Post

I have a friend with the Blue Yeti microphone and I hear his typing, when he stands up, if something moves or he bumps the desk. Everyone else has headsets, the worse I hear is breathing or eating and then yell at them to move their mic further away from their mouth.

Unless you're doing voice recording, streaming, etc. I find no use in getting a standalone microphone.

This is why I refuse to VOIP with someone who doesn't use push to talk.

Personally I use a microphone because I just can't use headsets or headphones for more than a few minutes. Doesn't matter if they're tight or loose, within 15 minutes they give me a headache.

That has little to do with the mic and everything to do with him leaving his mic open and not using push-to-talk. I mute anyone who does not use push-to-talk.

Push to talk is not possible when playing high-tempo games with team coordination. (Arena in WoW, ranked LoL)

Push to talk is not possible when playing high-tempo games with team coordination. (Arena in WoW, ranked LoL)
    That's true/not true. High ranked players use open mic and don't have crappy setups with lots of noise. Push to talk if bound right and gotten used to is barely noticeable. It's a habit at this point.

I agree there :P But erhm, topic was done! Going to pick it up now hehe.

I just always had push to talk trough, never had the need, but if you played really high games like RTS it is annoying.

Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    That has little to do with the mic and everything to do with him leaving his mic open and not using push-to-talk. I mute anyone who does not use push-to-talk.
    Or use any kind of audio software that lets you setup a noise gate and then configure your microphone so it works in the environment you are using it in.

Most people just buy a blue yeti and leave it on default and don't use any software programs. Which is utterly useless.

Quote Originally Posted by Lillpapps View Post
    Or use any kind of audio software that lets you setup a noise gate and then configure your microphone so it works in the environment you are using it in.

Most people just buy a blue yeti and leave it on default and don't use any software programs. Which is utterly useless.
    That works too, but I use one of the buttons on the side of my mouse for push-to-talk. Don't use those buttons for anything else anyway and one hand is always on the mouse. It's become second nature to push it when talking. So much so, that if I am playing a game I'll push the button when I am talking to my Wife or Daughter. Doesn't affect my left hand at all and can still move the mouse and click without any issue, so I fail to see how it's an issue to push a button to talk while playing. Only thing that's kind of annoying about it is that the button I use is also, by default, the back button on browsers. So if I happen to be browsing and go to say something to my Wife or Daughter, I end up going back in my browser.....

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account

Honestly there's probably a few reasons for that. For one, if you're going to be on open mic it's a good idea to have the mic on an arm above your set up mounted with a shock mount. Bumping the desk making noise is mostly due to the mic likely being on the desk and feeling the every bump. He's probably also got the mic turned up way too loud and/or is too close to the mic picking up breathing and eating. Gain is also probably set too high. It's also entirely possible that he could even have his mic pattern set to something other than cardioid or even have the mic facing the wrong direction.

You can't prevent every bit of background noise, but you can certainly bring it to a minimum assuming the area around you isn't noisy by default.
    | Fractal Design Define R5 White | Intel i7-4790K CPU | Corsair H100i Cooler | 16GB G.Skill Ripsaws X 1600Mhz |
    | MSI Gaming 6G GTX 980ti | Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD | Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD | Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD |

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Djuntas View Post
    Ok so I need to get more serious about my stuff.

I use a old sennheiser headset, and we'll its just dosen't cut it anymore. I hate spending money, but people deserve better.

So snowball / ice, or go for a more exspensive Yeti or Røde ?

OR A HEADSET?

What is the best option? Say I dont wanna spend more than 300 dollars MAAAAX, anything closer to 100 is better.
    Depends what you need it for, and what you prefer. For me headset is my solution as it don't take up desk space. I'm mainly using it for skype/ teamspeak and to lists to music etc.
    As with anything headset quality and price is often connected. Can't pay a few cobber and expect to get a chunk of pure gold.
    I assume it is the same with mic and speakers, where you can get "best value" kind of quality- not the best, but taken the price in consideration you can't get anything better and cheaper.