Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Akka View Post
    Actually, that's opposite, scaling destroys the point of the game, both mechanically and relative to immersion : it makes leveling pointless, and it makes everywhere equal, so without character. No special place, no bumps, just a flat line of "everything the same".
    How is going through a zone, not aggroing any mobs, one shotting those that you do, immersive at all? It is literally as if you are not apart of the world.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    Disagreed, everything should scale, and loot tables on older instances should be (and could be rather easily) upscaled based on level to make them worth going to. Having ICC drop current rare mats and / or recipes would be pretty interesting.
    You would alienate a huge chunck, Blizzard knows this that's why they added Timewalking

Herald of the Titans Orangetai420's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    This could still occur without scaling everything
    And then we would have threads about people crying because leveling is "too hard" with max level mobs scattered throughout the zone.
    MMO-C, home of the worst community on the internet.

I'm assuming you don't RP so it's kinda impossible to explain it. A lot of RPers use a DnD style /roll system because the gameplay mechanics contridict the lore.
    I understand that idea, i used to play AD&D... Sounds tedious but I had no idea people did that.

Maybe an option for RP realms, could implement it for raids too. World first because of a natural 20... Suck it Method.
    Demo is fine... play better.

Deleted
    Actually, that's opposite, scaling destroys the point of the game, both mechanically and relative to immersion : it makes leveling pointless, and it makes everywhere equal, so without character. No special place, no bumps, just a flat line of "everything the same".
    Meh. You have obviously not played the game.
    The scaling evened out the leveling experience, you had the freedom to go where ever, without having to follow a certain path.
    Once your gear and powergains kicked it, the scaling fell behind and you can now steamroll the places you got killed in before (like Suramar city).

The scaling is beautiful thing.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by awbaker View Post
    How is going through a zone, not aggroing any mobs, one shotting those that you do, immersive at all? It is literally as if you are not apart of the world.
    An arrow in the head would generally kill you in one shot.

Quote Originally Posted by Orangetai420 View Post
    Common misconception that future level scaling would put everything on the same tier. Their big mistake for 100-110 was the lack of new abilities. Leveling in legion felt good on a DH but thats it.
    If not everything is scaled on the same tier, then congratz, you have just put another system of levels on top of the existing levels. Hence we're back to : "if we're going to scale, just remove levels and be done with it". I wouldn't mind (after all, the "real" levels in WoW are ilvl, the rest has been abandonned for a long time), but it would be less stupid than layers of mechanisms existing but countering each others to end up with a clunky system.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by awbaker View Post
    It's not, but that is power inflation problem, not a scaling one.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Swordfish Trombone View Post
    Meh. You have obviously not played the game.
    The scaling evened out the leveling experience, you had the freedom to go where ever, without having to follow a certain path.
    So basically exactly what I said : everything is the same everywhere.
    The scaling is beautiful thing.
    Scaling is conceptually stupid. It's having levels, and then removing then. Just don't put them in the first place.

Herald of the Titans Orangetai420's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    If not everything is scaled on the same tier, then congratz, you have just put another system of levels on top of the existing levels. Hence we're back to : "if we're going to scale, just remove levels and be done with it". I wouldn't mind (after all, the "real" levels in WoW are ilvl, the rest has been abandonned for a long time), but it would be less stupid than layers of mechanisms existing but countering each others to end up with a clunky system.

- - - Updated - - -

It's not, but that is power inflation problem, not a scaling one.
    The difference being you would have far more choice in where you level. Congrats on your critical thinking skills.
    MMO-C, home of the worst community on the internet.

Deleted
    I'm assuming you don't RP so it's kinda impossible to explain it. A lot of RPers use a DnD style /roll system because the gameplay mechanics contridict the lore.
    I don't RP in WoW, but I do still play my pen&paper campaign. It's been doing for 23 years soon. I have a fairly good idea what RP is.
    And it's cool that people are doing it in WoW, despite it being very constrictive and "hostile" RP environment, but your reasoning for removing scaling is just bullshit.

You could just as well RP in scaled zones. You would just need to adapt your RP a bit around aggro. It's not that hard.

People do that regardless

I aren't seeing people explain why optional is bad?
    Not with the easy hour new idea would allow. It would then force people to turn it off to farm to allow them to bot get beat to every node in the zone by those that don't have to worry about aggro. Your fix to a non issue would create other real issues. Nevermind the strange effects this would have on world pvp. You could just kite people near adds that would never touch you but keep aggroing to the person you were fighting.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

Quote Originally Posted by Orangetai420 View Post
    The difference being you would have far more choice in where you level. Congrats on your critical thinking skills.
    "Choice" when everything is the same is just lack of character, not something interesting.
    Also gratz for gratuitous agressivity, I guess it speaks louder than your arguments.

Quote Originally Posted by Stylepoints View Post
    Ya having "expansion-specific" caps I think is realistic for older content stuff.
    Not just expansion specific, but bracketed within a reasonable amount either side of its intended level.
    Scaling up dun morogh with bigger numbers won't provide any decent experience as the content and its mechanics is not designed with anything but a minimal player toolkit at that level.
    Plus there isn't reason why everything should remain relevant to everyone all the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    Your forgot to include the part where we blame casuals for everything because blizzard is catering to casuals when casuals got jack squat for new content the entire expansion, like new dungeons and scenarios.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinaerd View Post
    T'is good to see there are still people valiantly putting the "Ass" in assumption.

Deleted
    So basically exactly what I said : everything is the same everywhere.
    "only during leveling" which is good.
    After that it isn't.

You would alienate a huge chunck, Blizzard knows this that's why they added Timewalking
    Except timewalking does the thing you seem to dislike, level scaling.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrven View Post
    Not with the easy hour new idea would allow. It would then force people to turn it off to farm to allow them to bot get beat to every node in the zone by those that don't have to worry about aggro. Your fix to a non issue would create other real issues. Nevermind the strange effects this would have on world pvp. You could just kite people near adds that would never touch you but keep aggroing to the person you were fighting.
    Then add restrictions like CDs. WoW never even needed scaling now apparently the option to remove it is suddenly an issue

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrven View Post
    Except timewalking does the thing you seem to dislike, level scaling.
    It's optional though that's my point! I can timewalk or solo

You didn't outlevel zones in vanilla and TBC. They boosted exp gain in retired zones AFTER they were relevant so new characters can hit the current content faster.
    I would have outleveled zones in Legion were it not for scaling.

Deleted
    "Choice" when everything is the same is just lack of character, not something interesting.
    I don't see how "This zone is for lvl 108-109" while "This zone is for 103-104" has anything to do with character. It's just arbitary game mechanic imposed by some dev after the zone was created.

With scaling you can actually concentrate on the character of the zones.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by purebalance View Post
    I would have outleveled zones in Legion were it not for scaling.
    I outlevel zones already, i'm usually 110 by time im at zone 4

As someone that had most classes at cap after WotlK, and Cataclysm bringing the revamp of the vanilla zones, I'd actually like scaling of lowbie areas, at least for one or two playthroughs. Same goes for dungeons and raids.

After having done some of the timeless dungeons, I can see that balancing stuff, (mechanics), will be hard though.

Deleted
    I would happily compromise and accept limited scaling for example Legion is scaled to 110 max, afterwards I can be 120 killing 110 mobs

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Waynhim View Post
    As someone that had most classes at cap after WotlK, and Cataclysm bringing the revamp of the vanilla zones, I'd actually like scaling of lowbie areas, at least for one or two playthroughs. Same goes for dungeons and raids.

After having done some of the timeless dungeons, I can see that balancing stuff, (mechanics), will be hard though.
    I don't think Blizzard should touch old dungeons and raids, keep that separated with Timewalking.