Quote Originally Posted by Sal the Shieldhog View Post
    By "release", I was referring more to the patch itself than anything we're working on. Things can still change, so that's why we haven't really spoken about it, aside from us still working on guides and such. Basically, you track your auto attack swing timer and try not to use abilities at the same time it happens, since your AAs can reset SS as well. It's a lot more difficult than it sounds, especially in practice. Macro is working on a guide that explains it very well, which he will share closer to the patch when things are finalized.
    Having tested Devastator on the PTR, I also came to the same conclusion. The Devastator talent isn't as simple as it seems. Shield Slam refreshes at an insane rate and you have to make constant snap decisions on which ability to use or to delay. Rage gen is also substantially higher, increasing the rate at which you Vengeance weave, especially with spontaneous Revenge resets.

In the end, Devastator is a fun, engaging, and strong talent. More people should actually test out changes on the PTR before knocking them.

By "release", I was referring more to the patch itself than anything we're working on. Things can still change, so that's why we haven't really spoken about it, aside from us still working on guides and such. Basically, you track your auto attack swing timer and try not to use abilities at the same time it happens, since your AAs can reset SS as well. It's a lot more difficult than it sounds, especially in practice. Macro is working on a guide that explains it very well, which he will share closer to the patch when things are finalized.
    I believe demon blades from DH had a way to make tracking AA's not needed by banking charges so I'm super surprised to see that blizzard would introduce this when they have a policy against needing addons to play a class. Makes me a little sad as I like the concept but agree on the problems already pointed out about it's place in the talent tree and now this is just another point against this talent.

15+ Year Old Account
    Ive been testing devastator and it is realy fun to play as shieldslam keeps coming up but im still not happy having to give up 1mil hp for it.
    - Vanilla was legitimately bad; we just didn't know any better at the time - SirCowDog

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vestig3 View Post
    Ive been testing devastator and it is realy fun to play as shieldslam keeps coming up but im still not happy having to give up 1mil hp for it.
    I fear that I will feel the same.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    I've done nothing wrong. I'm not the one with the problem its everyone else that has a problem with me.
    Quote Originally Posted by MilesMcStyles View Post
    I don't care that other people don't play the content that I enjoy.

Devastator is clearly not for me even if it would be a better option overall because I just HAVE TO PRESS SOMETHING and I feel very disoriented when I have nothing to press in some cases.

Thank you for the info. I thought the AA swing timer was independent of player used globals so this is definitely news to me. I really don't want to lose my HP from indomitable (at 4 mil right now with 0 buffs), but I think the amount of damage we can absorb with this increased rage will make the play style pretty fun. I'm excited to see how it shakes out by the time it goes live.

Quote Originally Posted by irogar View Post
    Thank you for the info. I thought the AA swing timer was independent of player used globals so this is definitely news to me. I really don't want to lose my HP from indomitable (at 4 mil right now with 0 buffs), but I think the amount of damage we can absorb with this increased rage will make the play style pretty fun. I'm excited to see how it shakes out by the time it goes live.
    The AA timer is independent of the general ability GCD. What Sal was saying was that you want to be careful using abilities right before an autoattack goes off. This is because both your abilities and your AA have independent chances to reset SS. Thus, using an ability right before your AA goes off puts you at risk of having the SS reset proc both on your ability AND on your AA, thereby wasting a free use of SS.

On a similar note, you'll want to use SS immediately every time it's available. This is nothing new to our current rotation, although it is vastly more important with Devastator as the SS reset proc goes off like crazy.
    Last edited by Arker42; 2016-12-30 at 07:09 PM.

Making Weakauras for this will be fun. I'm thinking of something along the lines of an N64 Goldeneye HUD that climbs to the top...

Our HP is already ridiculous anyway, so I don't really mind. Will probably go into Nighthold with 4.5m~ HP without Indom.

Quote Originally Posted by Toybox View Post
    Making Weakauras for this will be fun. I'm thinking of something along the lines of an N64 Goldeneye HUD that climbs to the top...

Our HP is already ridiculous anyway, so I don't really mind. Will probably go into Nighthold with 4.5m~ HP without Indom.
    You forget that our HP is lower than some of the other tanks and you wont have 4.5m HP going into Nighthold. More like 3.5m. So now you have less HP than all the other tanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Sammonoske View Post
    You forget that our HP is lower than some of the other tanks and you wont have 4.5m HP going into Nighthold. More like 3.5m. So now you have less HP than all the other tanks.
    Just noticeably lower than Druids, right? Without Indom, I'm sitting at 4.11m HP unbuffed, and with traits left to farm & plenty of upgrades still to get, 4.5m isn't a stretch before heading into Nighthold (well, Nighthold Mythic, anyway).

15+ Year Old Account

I went from 5050800 to like 4030600 or something on ptr lol and thats with 889 ilvl and all traits and then on top of that we loose 25% ignore pain. so i doubt you will have 4.5mil going into nighthold unless you use a stam trinket which you obviously shouldnt.
    - Vanilla was legitimately bad; we just didn't know any better at the time - SirCowDog

Deleted
    Thats very interesting. Is it something like: you can use 2 abilities in one swing timer, if you thunderclap/revenge and get a proc, you shield slam, but if you get a proc from devastator you use shield slam but won't be using another ability till the next swing timer starts since thunderclap/revenge and a swing will go off at the same time with a chance of wasting a proc?

EDIT: after testing DPS wise I seem to get the best results when just mashing buttons
    Last edited by mmoc8504677281; 2016-12-31 at 01:50 PM.

I went from 5050800 to like 4030600 or something on ptr lol and thats with 889 ilvl and all traits and then on top of that we loose 25% ignore pain. so i doubt you will have 4.5mil going into nighthold unless you use a stam trinket which you obviously shouldnt.
    I forgot I was Tauren My bad. But with 54 traits, no stam trinket, 4.5m is doable. I'm over 4.1m with 887 gear at the moment, and plenty of potential for upgrades.

Edit: I'm also using the legendary chest/belt, so the stam from those is obviously pretty high.
    Last edited by Toybox; 2016-12-31 at 01:43 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Im also a tauren and still you wont go into Nighthold with 4.5mil coz higher then 895 you aint gonna get unless you get everything 895 titanforged.
    Last edited by Vestig3; 2016-12-31 at 09:30 AM.

Im also a tauren and still you wont go into Nighthold with 4.5mil coz higher then 895 you aint gonna get unless you get everything 895 titanforged.
    Don't think it'll be too far off. 25k~ or so HP per remaining artifact level puts me at 4.35m~ even if I don't get any upgrades.

4.5m before Mythic Nighthold will be very doable. Perhaps you're right, it'll be a stretch going into N/HC, but I still think it's doable. 890 gear, big stat-stick legendaries, 54 traits... Surely that's 4.5m.

Deleted
    Traits beyond 34 doesn't give hp - if you're pretty much decked out in gear (887 equipped ilvl) you should aim for 4.2m hp with buffs with devastator.

Quote Originally Posted by Falcky View Post
    Traits beyond 34 doesn't give hp - if you're pretty much decked out in gear (887 equipped ilvl) you should aim for 4.2m hp with buffs with devastator.
    Yes they do. It's a tooltip error that's being fixed in 7.1.5. Every trait past 34 still gives .75% stamina & .5% damage.

15+ Year Old Account
    Hmm not sure about that ive never seen a bluepost about that.
    Last edited by Vestig3; 2016-12-31 at 12:40 PM.

Hmm not sure about that ive never seen a bluepost about that.
    Try it out the next time you get an artifact point. You'll get a decent amount of HP each time

Try it out the next time you get an artifact point. You'll get a decent amount of HP each time
    I havent noticed this. My understanding is that it currently does not give any bonuses past 34 and in 7.1.5 with the patch they will.