Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Artorius View Post
    In the ~49" (48~50) size bracket the best purchase is the Samsung KS8000, Vizio's P50-C1 is nice too. More affordable options would be Vizio's M50-D1 or Sony's 49" X800D. The 50" KU6300 is OK too.

Again all VA, and for a reason. IPS literally sucks at black levels and don't think that edge-lit local dimming is going to help that much when something bright needs to be placed in a dark picture. You'll only end up seeing a gracious bright rectangle in the middle of your display going from one side to the other... they're usually fine in bright environments but if you enjoy watching content during the night with lights off then just don't go with IPS, it's only an okay experience when we're talking about FALD displays and there's only a single FALD IPS anyway.

LG is the only company manufacturing IPS displays for televisions and mostly the single vendor selling them, it doesn't provide you the best viewing experience for content watching but it doesn't matter for them, their high-end line concerned about quality is their OLED line. Which are arguably the best current sets you can buy nowadays.
    Waiting for this!
    http://news.panasonic.com/global/pre...n161128-4.html

Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    Well that will be out of his price range, but WOW when is this happening? Ive had the thought before if LG IPS tv's had OLED like blacks they would be the perfect TV, i think panasonic is on to something here...

Problem is for me, i dont think you can even buy panasonic sets in the US anymore can you? I know best buy does not carry them.

10+ Year Old Account
    No idea when it's out but I want one. Also yeah probably expensive.
    Panasonic... not sure where to get it outside of online shops these days. They're not so prominent in NA.

No idea when it's out but I want one. Also yeah probably expensive.
    Panasonic... not sure where to get it outside of online shops these days. They're not so prominent in NA.
    No kidding i do as well lol. IMO LCD is still the best overall technology when you take every use case into consideration, if panasonic can pull off those kind of black levels and keep viewing angles in tact imagine how good a tv that could be. None of the negatives of OLED but all the benefits.

10+ Year Old Account
    Possible to buy from Canada I guess? That's a bit weird though and shipping. Usually the other way around, lol.

Well i live in minnesota so i could always drive there if shipping is too crazy. Ill be keeping a close eye on CES this year see if panasonic demo's these.

10+ Year Old Account
    But we don't work in studios =( first batch of those are probably going to be even more expensive than OLEDs. And no @Fascinate, even if you correct IPS's black levels problem you still have a lot of other problems to fix. LCD was never really meant to be quality reference, it was always about making more durable products that needed less power to work, needed less space overall and were cheaper to manufacture. But of course quality increased after so many years of money being thrown at it =)

Quote Originally Posted by Artorius View Post
    But we don't work in studios =( first batch of those are probably going to be even more expensive than OLEDs. And no @Fascinate, even if you correct IPS's black levels problem you still have a lot of other problems to fix. LCD was never really meant to be quality reference, it was always about making more durable products that needed less power to work, needed less space overall and were cheaper to manufacture. But of course quality increased after so many years of money being thrown at it =)
    Well to me the perfect TV right now would be a high end LG LCD with OLED blacks, alternatively i could say an LG OLED without image retention better motion handling and better brightness on a full screen could be an ideal tv. I know in theory OLED handles motion pretty well but in practice because there is no backlight flicker ive read reports of people saying they dont like how gaming looks on OLEDS, it just looks "off" to them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Problem with OLED.
    Burn ins, imbalance degradation, viewing angles, life span in general, brightness and perceived motion blur.
    LCD
    Contrast, response time, and perceived motion blur. If Panasonic can get their new panel to the masses, it eliminates the contrast part. Then you got the latter two to worry about.

Motion blur can sort of be eliminated with black frame inserts. Won't beat a CRT but hey that's a completely different set of tech.
    Neither of them can get past a certain blockade for color gamut as far as I know. CLED due to LED configuration capabilities should be better in terms of expanding color gamut wider.

Hmm viewing angles are problem on OLED? I thought that was one of the main selling points besides contrast. Never owned one or seen one in person actually.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fascinate View Post
    Hmm viewing angles are problem on OLED? I thought that was one of the main selling points besides contrast. Never owned one or seen one in person actually.
    OLEDs have color shifts from off angle view. Small angle shifts can cause color shifts, usually green or blue shifts but it can be many colors.

OLEDs have color shifts from off angle view. Small angle shifts can cause color shifts, usually green or blue shifts but it can be many colors.
    Hmm weird rtings gave this years LG B6 a 10/10 for viewing angles, but i guess color shift off angle would be a different category.

10+ Year Old Account
    Easiest way to test it is to get an OLED phone and just turn it a bit sideways, you'll see what I mean. While I'm not sure how LG's one work, if it's White OLED, they could still use an IPS subpixel layout for the color filter., assuming it's possible.

That said, while this is a bit more of an extreme situation, it kind of illustrates the issue. It won't be as pronounced as this, but it's the easiest example I can find atm. Not sure if link will be an issue cause I don't know how notebookcheck handles linking from outside, whatever.
    http://www.notebookcheck.net/fileadm...6bfa01f932.jpg
    http://www.notebookcheck.net/fileadm...06667a2fb2.jpg
    @Artorius made a post about it too.
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...1#post41686492

Edit: I just realized the green looks like white on the color gradient bar... wat.
    Last edited by Remilia; 2016-12-31 at 02:39 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    My Note 4 turns green whenever you look at it from a slightly shifted angle. Viewing angle's King is still plasma =p

10+ Year Old Account
    Living room. But the room is a long rectangle like 5m long, but only 3m wide. And we'll be sat on the long wall with the tv opposite. We can't get very far away from it, so no need for it to be massive. The viewing angle won't be great if we have 6+ people watching it, but honestly I'm not gonna spend more money so our 6th guest can watch the tv. If we ever have that many people in the room we're likely not watching the tv anyway.
    Last edited by xtramuscle; 2016-12-31 at 12:49 PM.
    Vexxd

LFG to push 15+ m+,
    maybe streaming @ http://www.twitch.tv/vexxee