Page 21 of 27 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilgemesh View Post
    No. The old generation blames the new one...and the new one blames the old.
    The solution for youngsters is to out all the old folks...and the old folks want to box up all the youngsters till they're old.
    I suppose its a matter of perspective. Mine being different than yours. I suppose time will say we both did what we had to.
    The difference of course is that the old generation is responsible in large part for the state of society.

Quote Originally Posted by Wyrt View Post
    The difference of course is that the old generation is responsible in large part for the state of society.
    Everyone just does what they think will work or avoids what they think won't work. No one can be blamed for that. Otherwise no one does anything at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Wyrt View Post
    Of course. All the old strictures are wrong. Destroy them all.
    Quite often, the difference between an idiot and a genius is simply a matter of success rate.

10+ Year Old Account
    No. The old generation blames the new one...and the new one blames the old.
    And one of them is correct, because the other has had no access to the levers of power, and thus no ability to screw things up.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

Quote Originally Posted by Tota View Post
    Everyone just does what they think will work or avoids what they think won't work. No one can be blamed for that. Otherwise no one does anything at all.
    Why not? We can objectively assign blame according to who is responsible for the mistakes, so that way, we can reflect on them in the future. That's how history is written, a combination of nature, luck, and human errors and successes, and we can look back to figure out what to do and not do.

- - - Updated - - -

Of course. All the old strictures are wrong. Destroy them all.
    Strawman alert!
    "My successes are my own, but my failures are due to extremist leftist liberals" - Party of Personal Responsibility

Prediction for the future

Quote Originally Posted by TheOne01 View Post
    Does this mean open hand smacks to? XD. Lmao get ready for another gen of spoiled rotten liberals with no understanding of empathy. They knew this is a political move. Non spank parents raise liberal entitled shit heads.
    Yeah damn those unempathetic liberals! Always fighting for equal wages, gay rights, and gender equality, even if it doesn't effect them! *rolls eyes*

Deleted
    I wish I could trust that - my mind thinks it's mind control, I won't go get any of that help, I would rather be homeless and starve to death - ain't that some wiring up there? =P
    I'd suspect that to be defensive mechanisms gone faulty. Defensive mechanisms have a tendency of being relevant when created, but not always having a clear declaration of when they should stop being a thing.

Thus, sometimes, if we experience very extreme things, we learn to adapt to thoose situations in one way ; But later on, when said situation no longer exists, we keep applying the same behaviour - Even if it is not really the ideal proposition for that.

It's kind of the core idea behind why you don't want to discipline a child, really ; it imparts a behavioral pattern at such a early age that it might not even be a concious decision they make, later in on life, when they act in violent ways.

Maybe they just defend it, unconciously, seeing it as a way of living, embedded it into their personality. Sometimes, even if a behavior is destructive, we form our personalities out after thoose traits. It's a very hard cycle to break, especially if it's something hardwired by stimuli. One might not even see it ; it could be buried under layers of mechanisms, projections, feelings, etc.

All the brain understands is survival ; just that the brain ain't very smart, it needs external input to grasp re-wiring. :P

Quote Originally Posted by PosPosPos View Post
    - - - Updated - - -

Strawman alert!
    no that was clearly sarcasm
    Quite often, the difference between an idiot and a genius is simply a matter of success rate.

no that was clearly sarcasm
    As if sarcasm is mutually exclusive from strawmanning.
    "My successes are my own, but my failures are due to extremist leftist liberals" - Party of Personal Responsibility

Why not?
    Because the blame lies on the method, not the tool. Humans are a tool that can only do what they think works or not do what they think doesn't work. They can only learn from their mistakes. If you blame the tool for doing the only thing it can learn from, there is no reason for the tool to do anything at that point.
    Last edited by Total Crica; 2016-12-31 at 04:19 AM.

As if sarcasm is mutually exclusive from strawmanning.
    It is. I was pointing out how petty a thing can be, by being just as petty. But. you know. that was implied. Who knew?

Quote Originally Posted by PvPHeroLulz View Post
    I'd suspect that to be defensive mechanisms gone faulty. Defensive mechanisms have a tendency of being relevant when created, but not always having a clear declaration of when they should stop being a thing.

Thus, sometimes, if we experience very extreme things, we learn to adapt to thoose situations in one way ; But later on, when said situation no longer exists, we keep applying the same behaviour - Even if it is not really the ideal proposition for that.

It's kind of the core idea behind why you don't want to discipline a child, really ; it imparts a behavioral pattern at such a early age that it might not even be a concious decision they make, later in on life, when they act in violent ways.

Maybe they just defend it, unconciously, seeing it as a way of living, embedded it into their personality. Sometimes, even if a behavior is destructive, we form our personalities out after thoose traits. It's a very hard cycle to break, especially if it's something hardwired by stimuli. One might not even see it ; it could be buried under layers of mechanisms, projections, feelings, etc.

All the brain understands is survival ; just that the brain ain't very smart, it needs external input to grasp re-wiring. :P
    Yes, but I don't trust what is trying to re-wire it, the mind controllers! =P

Because the blame lies on the method, not the tool. Humans are a tool that can only do what they think works or not do what they think doesn't work. They can only learn from their mistakes. If you blame the tool for doing the only thing it can learn from, there is no reason for the tool to do anything at that point.
    No, it also lies on the persons who executed the method. History has always assigned blame to specific individuals, like with Nazism, but you don't see people not doing anything or trying out new things just because of that.

All you are doing here is extending the PC culture to apply across all time.

- - - Updated - - -

It is. I was pointing out how petty a thing can be, by being just as petty. But. you know. that was implied. Who knew?
    Yeah, we knew the alt right, comprising mostly of baby boomers, have petty policies and ideology. Please state the obvious more.

I'm sure they will all grow up to be well behaved and mannerable adults.
    Me thinks Chromie has a whole lot of splaining to do!

Deleted
    Yes, but I don't trust what is trying to re-wire it, the mind controllers! =P
    Haha, well :P Does that mean that people you discuss with, are mind controllers? :P

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    You can talk to a retarded adult and explain to them why they shouldn't do it. And most retarded people have learned how to behave around infants by the time they're 30.

The problem with a two year old is they aren't retarded.
    As someone with a deeply autistic and mentally retarded brother (real life autistic, not the edgy 4chan insult type), who has the mind of a 1 year old kid, hitting him is a total waste of time. He barely understands basic human interactions. If you hit him, he's only going to struggle and try to bite you harder. He definitely won't behave, since he has no idea why he's hit in the first place.

Not saying every kid is like that. Maybe some do respond well to spanking. But it's a tool best used sparingly, and I don't think banning it is overly irresponsible.

This assumes the bill will actually ban spanking nationwide of course. Reading it, it seems very vague and doesn't even seem to provide any sort of punishment. It's just a basic ''hey guys, please don't be dicks to your kids'' motion, which is self-evident to anyone with half a braincell to me.

Quote Originally Posted by alexw View Post
    Yes, boomers have written lots of negative articles about their children. That's exactly what you'd expect from a generation blaming their children for the right royally screwed up world they are leaving behind. Its an attempt to lay blame elsewhere and absolve themselves of guilt, and exactly what you'd expect from the most selfish generation in history. But it says absolutely nothing about millennials.
    i didnt say boomers didnt fuck up the world, but im a millennial and i cant fucking stand what hipster sjw trash my generation is becoming.

7+ Year Old Account
    No, it also lies on the persons who executed the method. History has always assigned blame to specific individuals, like with Nazism, but you don't see people not doing anything or trying out new things just because of that.

All you are doing is extending the PC culture to apply across all time.
    I'm so glad you brought up Nazis.

Tell me, if the Nazis (or whoever you want to put in their place; children, muggers, school shooters, terrorists, people on message forums you don't like -- whoever) come up to your door, throws a gun in your face, and tells you that they're going to exterminate you, I sincerely hope you'll just give them a finger wag and tell them they're being naughty and change their ways. Whatever you do, don't resort to violence! Those darn Nazis (or whoever you want to put in their place) won't learn anything from that. I mean, there's never any reason to strike another living creature, right? And such non-violence counters are going to work flawlessly. FLAWLESSLY!

Or are you going to scream about strawmen again because you think you're a hyper-intellectual because you keep vomiting that shit up whenever you can't offer a real retort to a side argument?
    "There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through out political and culture life, nutured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'" —Isaac Asimov

it also lies on the persons.
    That is mental eugenics.

Should you be blamed for that mentality you hold?

Or should the method that leads you to hold that mentality be blamed instead?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by PvPHeroLulz View Post
    Haha, well :P Does that mean that people you discuss with, are mind controllers? :P
    Yes, they are.

Humans are all trying to control each others minds.

That is what humans do so their bodies don't get hurt by other humans bodies.

Or so that their bodies get helped by other humans bodies.

Quote Originally Posted by Ol Scratch View Post
    I'm so glad you brought up Nazis.

Tell me, if the Nazis (or whoever you want to put in their place; children, muggers, school shooters, terrorists, people on message forums you don't like -- whoever) come up to your door, throws a gun in your face, and tells you that they're going to exterminate you, I sincerely hope you'll just give them a finger wag and tell them they're being naughty and change their ways. Whatever you do, don't resort to violence! Those darn Nazis (or whoever you want to put in their place) won't learn anything from that. I mean, there's never any reason to strike another living creature, right? And such non-violence counters are going to work flawlessly. FLAWLESSLY!

Or are you going to scream about strawmen again because you think you're a hyper-intellectual because you keep vomiting that shit up whenever you can't offer a real retort to a side argument?
    Why can't I call strawmen out for being strawmen if the post content involves making up lies I have never said?

Or do you think it's mandatory to be under the impression of being a "hyper-intellectual" when calling an orange an orange?

- - - Updated - - -

That is mental eugenics.

Should you be blamed for that mentality you hold?

Or should the method that leads you to hold that mentality be blamed instead?
    Both. They are not mutually exclusive. That is, assuming there is no clinically proven mental illness involved.