Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Serpha View Post
    Some people do it for the white noise.
    Curse you! There are too many jokes I could make off this, and this isn't the right place to make them. >_<

OT: I don't understand the appeal of watching other people play games, if I like a game I'd rather play it myself. The extent of WoW-related content I watch on Youtube boils down to Fatboss guides and Carbot animations.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbamboozal View Post
    Intelligence is like four wheel drive, it's not going to make you unstoppable, it just sort of tends to get you stuck in more remote places.
    Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    If you want to be disgusted, next time you kiss someone remember you've got your mouth on the end of a tube which has shit at the other end, held back by a couple of valves.

Lightforged Draenei
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TITAN308 View Post
    I tried watching a Hearthstone tournament one time.

The casters making excited gestures or comments as a card is played was hilarious.

It would be like me watching my wife cook supper and yelling over excited comments at her as she does it.

"Did you see how she cut up those potatos!? I... I tell you what, I've never seen such cunning and guile displayed with such a choice before! And that knife she used. She could have used that other knife, but the one she picked was spot on! Salt and pepper? Classic move. Good choice. Others might have used garlic powder, but not her."
    This is really on point.

There is something about rpgs in general were watching another person play the game is not nearly as interesting as just playing the game yourself. I want to level/gear/explore an mmo on my own character not watch someone else's character experience these. In this way rpgs are a little selfish, it's supposed to be all about your character, the exception being videos giving guides/strategy/advice.

It would be like me watching my wife cook supper and yelling over excited comments at her as she does it.

"Did you see how she cut up those potatos!? I... I tell you what, I've never seen such cunning and guile displayed with such a choice before! And that knife she used. She could have used that other knife, but the one she picked was spot on! Salt and pepper? Classic move. Good choice. Others might have used garlic powder, but not her."
    If you make this I can pretty much guarantee that someone will watch it.

This video now has over 400,000 views

Quote Originally Posted by klogaroth View Post
    If you make this I can pretty much guarantee that someone will watch it.
    I have no doubt.

If YT allowed it I could probably make videos of me taking a dump and making weird facial expressions while doing it and rack up some hits.

Wait is Asmongold actually quitting? Praise the fucking Lord almighty.

I felt a lot of what was good about the WoW "video" community honestly died in Cata. Then between the start of MoP and the end of WoD they either hired the great personalities and didn't utilize their talents very well or, in the case of WoD, created content so not worth covering so a ton of people quit. Pretty easy.
    Last edited by Low Hanging Fruit; 2016-12-31 at 10:32 PM.

Unless the video is a guide, a humorous piece of entertainment, or a discussion video, who the hell watches WoW vids?

WoW is easily my top played game of all time in terms of play time, but as far as watching videos on it goes, I really don't watch people play it.
    Still wondering why I play this game.
    I'm a Rogue and I also made a spreadsheet for the Order Hall that is updated for BfA.

Quote Originally Posted by Polarthief View Post
    Unless the video is a guide, a humorous piece of entertainment, or a discussion video, who the hell watches WoW vids?

WoW is easily my top played game of all time in terms of play time, but as far as watching videos on it goes, I really don't watch people play it.
    When Battlefield 3 first came out I put waaaay to much time into playing that. Like you, I never watched other people play it, that would strike me as "lol wat..."

Quote Originally Posted by Synadrasa View Post
    There is something about rpgs in general were watching another person play the game is not nearly as interesting as just playing the game yourself. I want to level/gear/explore an mmo on my own character not watch someone else's character experience these. In this way rpgs are a little selfish, it's supposed to be all about your character, the exception being videos giving guides/strategy/advice.
    Yeah no. An mmo maybe, but there's plenty of people (myself included) who enjoy watching others play rpgs.

Proof: Just look at any popular youtuber's non-mmo views for rpgs. Millions enjoyed Game Grumps playing Pokémon, Undertale, Earthbound, etc, and they're not the only ones.
    Still wondering why I play this game.
    I'm a Rogue and I also made a spreadsheet for the Order Hall that is updated for BfA.

Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    These videos generate excitement and encourages others to subscribe or resubscribe.
    you're vastly overestimating the reach of these videos

Quote Originally Posted by Polarthief View Post
    Yeah no. An mmo maybe, but there's plenty of people (myself included) who enjoy watching others play rpgs.
    I feel the same as the other guy. I mean if I want to just watch an RPG I will just download a cheese trainer and edge crush it myself as I play though it.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkeon View Post
    "EXPERIMENT Glowing 10000 degree KITCHEN KNIFE WOW ARENA PVP LADDER CLIMB (GONE SEXUAL) (ALMOST DIED!)"

That's a guaranteed 3M views video.
    I unsubbed everyone that used that. It exploded out of nowhere. Didn't understand it. Had a lot of subbed cod channels using that

Oh don't forget when you uploaded you YT video to use a thumbnail completely unrelated to the video.

So if its a video on "How to install a new toilet" make sure you use a thumbnail of a chick with big tits holding a wrench.

If anything, watching "Youtubers" potentially has the power to instantly turn me off of anything I might have had some interest in.

10+ Year Old Account
    I would assume a large portion of WoW's streamers were PvPers... And PvP is in an abysmal state at this time AND a good chunk of them were banned for boosting their viewers and what not.

A lot of raiders in top guilds still stream, but were never as popular... Especially since they don't even stream their progression usually, only their grinding up to progression and then farm afterwards.

Oh don't forget when you uploaded you YT video to use a thumbnail completely unrelated to the video.

So if its a video on "How to install a new toilet" make sure you use a thumbnail of a chick with big tits holding a wrench.
    This is not your personal blog.

People move on. This game isn't supposed to be a lifestyle.
    http://thingsihaveneverdone.wordpress.com
    Just started my 24/7 LoFi stream. Come listen!
    https://youtu.be/3uv1pLbpQM8

My interest in WoW youtube videos was gone almost entirely once Totalbiscuit stopped making them.......there wasn't and still isn't a suitable replacement.

Hazelnuttygames makes some good videos, though.

Heelvsbabyface was funny but he was always criticizing the game so you shouldn't be surprised he took his own advice and quit the game he didn't like.

I heard a few other youtubers quitting (mostly from the goldmaking type), but most call it quits are related less to wow quality and more to the fact "youtube is paying me less money". So they find time spent on recording and editing videos no longer profitable enough to continue.

The whole youtube mechanics are weird anyway, I watch videos but I nearly never "sub" to channels because it clutters my frontpage. If I really like someone I tend to remember the channel name or bookmark it, but the whole "people have to sub to channels" is off-putting. I'm too old to fit into current generation where everything needs to be thumbs up, like on facebook, retweet, upvote, subscribe, share and so on. It's pretty lame if I have to do this stuff to be considered a "viewer" of someone's video in his viewer count, I'm not gonna do this and probably many others won't bother. Therefore all the laments from "content creators" they aren't getting enough views, viewers and subs.

I like to listen to some youtubers comment on stuff or discuss things or give tips when I do world quests (killing boredom really), but the videos need to fit specific size (I avoid 30min+ rants like a plague) and the content creator needs to have a clue about the subject. For example was listening to a video about tanks (trying to pick a class for an alt), and then the guy rates druid and dk above all tanks because they have combat rez, period. Even though after reading a lot of blood dk discussion I'm sure dks aren't "top 2 tanks" by any criteria except "tanks that have combat rez" (or I dunno, "top 2 tanks than have mass grip").

Well I know people are trying to find more and more subjects to cover in a vid but recently in my recommended vids I got 2 with a title along the lines "how to farm AP the fastest"... before I even opened them I was like "wait, the guy is gonna talk 6+ mins about something you can say in 10 sec, namely - live inside maw of souls". Well at least one of them wasn't completely redundant it was some form of guide how2speedrun maw of souls and I assume some people might find it handy if they didn't do it already (most AP farmers did, extensively, and had their own planned path of trash pulls).

But yeah, a lot of the wow vids are either uninteresting (someone forced themselves to fill the channel) or full of misinformation (especially the ones rate the classes / specs / roles) or have neat ideas but dragged on too much - I remember a video about how to unlock Kosumoth that the guy could literally edit properly and shorten to 1/3 length, but nope "hey guys watch me how I got stuck in this corner lololol".

If none of the above happens then usually if I find a video I liked and check the channel I see except 1 or 2 videos everything else there is outdated or some filler content.

So generally the problems are:
    - viewers are picky
    - it takes time to make a vid
    - not every idea for a vid will end up being cool instead of sucking
    - if you don't do regular vids people will forget you
    - if you force yourself to do regular vids some of them will end up being crap and waste of your efforts
    - youtube pays less so why bother?