Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Personally I do not find YouTube is a good medium for general gameplay. YouTube works well for news, guides, and clips. There are those who make use of both platforms to expand their visibility and make good use of each platforms straights.

Youtubers quit so game must be bad. They dont youtube just because they enjoy the game. The do it because silly people donate money to them for some strange reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    I've come across a video about this and I'm wondering what you make of this.

What can Blizz do to generate more hype and excitement regarding World of Warcraft? It's definitely a problem if youtubers are switching to other games isn't it?

Here's one video on the issue.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S62mjkgtNm8
    Youtubers aren't really a good metric of interest for a game. It's just burn out, and it happens for a lot of games. Two games I watched a lot of videos on were Cities:Skylines, and Fallout 4. Both games have been fully explored, and what's left are the hardcore players, and it's a smaller pool of people. WoW gets a lot of coverage for betas and patches, but gameplay...not really a thing.

Overall interest has definitely declined, however, for a lot of reasons - the sheer volume of new games being released, and interest shifting to Reddit/Twitch, etc. MMOC is the number one non-source of WoW related news, but other than Blizzard Watch, which is barely hanging on, this is it.

As to generating interest, that's the job of the Blue community managers, they've said it's part of their job. They could do giveaways, contests, community events - I don't know if they still do that, but it's one way.

But honestly, I don't think YouTube drives that many customers to sign up. I think it's mostly the hardcore players who watch videos - the typical non-raiding player generally doesn't even read the official forums, let alone 3rd party sites like this, or follow Blizzard or the game on Twitch, YouTube, Twitter, or anywhere else.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Swordfish Trombone View Post
    That's cheating mate. We didn't have youtube in vanilla. It's not pure experience if you google stuff. lol

We had YouTube for the last half of vanilla, some of the most famous videos came out then, and a lot of stuff was hosted on other servers. Illegal Danish came out in the beginning of 2006, a year before TBC, for instance. In the first half of vanilla, yeah, kill videos and such didn't happen, but as video recording improved, video support on the web, high speed accounts got popular, and the rise of video hosting sites rose, more stuff came out.

And while we didn't have google, we had thottbot and alakazam to look stuff up on.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vichan View Post
    He's talking about heelvsbabyface leaving, does anyone really count that as a loss? all he did was scream about how shit wow was and how everything blizzard does is ruining he game
    Some of his rants were very entertaining. Plus he had a significant number of subscribers/

I think the most interesting point of debate he raised in that video was he thinks that the lack of YouTubers has something to do with the simplification of the game. I'm not sure that's an accurate correlation.

It has probably a lot more to do with just the age of the game than anything.

Quote Originally Posted by KrazyK923 View Post
    Because Legion is terrible, boring, and just a giant slog.

THIS is when you know a game is really in trouble. When the content creators of your fanbase are quitting.

People don't want to continue interest in the game when its just a giant slog with months upon months of time gates with virtually no payout. Vanilla and BC had the benefit of the game still being new. Like he mentions in the game, the grinding is so fucking stupidly insane that nobody just wants to do it.

Youtube channels that focus around WoW are dying outside of a very specific few. And those who still are surviving have done so because they got lucky and got a big spike before the drop happened.

Blizzard shit the bed with Legion. They made it the grindest expansion ever with such a small amount of actual important things to do at max level. They stuffed in fanservice in every aspect of it hoping it would prop the expansion up. And its not.
    People like you are like broken records. You take your personal pet peeves and pretend they are the reasons for important (yet unproven trends).

Theres millions of people just getting on and playing the game, then theres idiots like you crying "not enough content" or "its too grindy" and probably actually believing the shit you spout. I mean look at your last sentence, how does Legion have "less important" things to do at max level than many other expansions?

Your generic shitpost whine doesn't stand up to any lucid thoughts bouncing off it.

7+ Year Old Account
    Every dammed time I am about ready to re-subscribe to WoW something like this happens. WoW youtubers quitting! I fucking give up!

Some of his rants were very entertaining. Plus he had a significant number of subscribers/
    You're not the best at making strong arguments are you?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Calfredd View Post
    A very popular youtuber who previously promoted the game quit. Him and others. Pretty significant issue there mate.

10+ Year Old Account
    Who cares? Youtubers almost always have to branch out and do other things. One game can't generate the views like it used to. Just take a look at TB and Jesse, both had their spotlight during Cata. Now they do all sorts of things and are very popular, even if they still occasionally play WoW (Jesse)

Quote Originally Posted by Deja Thoris View Post
    People like you are like broken records. You take your personal pet peeves and pretend they are the reasons for important (yet unproven trends).

Theres millions of people just getting on and playing the game, then theres idiots like you crying "not enough content" or "its too grindy" and probably actually believing the shit you spout. I mean look at your last sentence, how does Legion have "less important" things to do at max level than many other expansions?

Your generic shitpost whine doesn't stand up to any lucid thoughts bouncing off it.
    You call me bringing up problems with the game as "shitpost whining" and yet all you've done is barf out a bunch of personal insults.

Its people like you that are causing the game to die. People who refuse to let any criticism of the game stand without being "whining." And then Blizzard sits there and pretends nothing is wrong because they'll always have a legion of useful idiots defending all their moves. So, congrats.

Quote Originally Posted by Calfredd View Post
    nether are u

- - - Updated - - -

You call me bringing up problems with the game as "shitpost whining" and yet all you've done is barf out a bunch of personal insults.

Its people like you that are causing the game to die. People who refuse to let any criticism of the game stand without being "whining." And then Blizzard sits there and pretends nothing is wrong because they'll always have a legion of useful idiots defending all their moves. So, congrats.
    I want to hug u, this is the problem with wow right now, blizzard make bad choices and people blindly defend it because who knows who they just want to fight people for no reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Spirthealer View Post
    nether are u
    I don't get it. Did I make an argument somewhere? That doesn't sound like me.

Haven't watched any WoW videos since the days of Jesse Cox's coverage of the Cataclysm beta. The big WoW YouTubers will keep going so long as the money is there.

Quote Originally Posted by Rorcanna View Post
    And that "depth and sense of adventure" is still very much finite. In fact, Classic = the time when the game had the LEAST amount of guides to its name, and still people managed to get to max level.

The "on-rails" experience has plenty of depth, and sense of adventure to new players for obvious reasons. Hell, as a senior player I still have the sense of adventure whenever going into new leveling content with a new expansion. Legion's leveling content has more depth, planning and story to it than anything I've experienced before. That sure as hell includes my Classic leveling.
    True, it is finite, it WAS finite. Vanilla ended too soon though in my opinion. If I can get 3 years of continuous enjoyment out of something that only lasted for roughly 2 years originally I think that that's pretty great for a finite experience.

Oh now its people like me killing the game. More drivel.

I could be mistaken (haven't watched his stuff in awhile since legion's launch except for the nice guide he did on how to do the Withered Army Training scenario), but I was under the impression that he stopped doing WoW stuff a couple weeks ago at the least. Maybe he was just thinking about it and just now decided? /shrugs* beats me. Some of his stuff during WoD was pretty hilarious though, especially the one on Ashran and some of his az-chats about some of the crazier news coming out for awhile.

I usually stick to Preach and sometimes good ol' wowcrendor besides the machinima-makers Slightly Impressive and Nixxiom and stuff, so I'm not aware of anyone else who's stopping besides Heels.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinrael View Post
    You need sunlight. You need movement. You need fresh air. You need green nature. It is just as important as eating healthy, sleeping properly and so on.
    Quote Originally Posted by Skroe View Post
    Have faith in us. Americans are fighters.

Quote Originally Posted by Asotcha View Post
    I could be mistaken (haven't watched his stuff in awhile since legion's launch except for the nice guide he did on how to do the Withered Army Training scenario), but I was under the impression that he stopped doing WoW stuff a couple weeks ago at the least. Maybe he was just thinking about it and just now decided? /shrugs* beats me. Some of his stuff during WoD was pretty hilarious though, especially the one on Ashran and some of his az-chats about some of the crazier news coming out for awhile.

I usually stick to Preach and sometimes good ol' wowcrendor besides the machinima-makers Slightly Impressive and Nixxiom and stuff, so I'm not aware of anyone else who's stopping besides Heels.
    Gives it a strong 8/10, fully quits less then a month later. An all those positive things, are now just garbage lol.

Not a problem at all. There are dozens if not hundreds of youtubers covering the game.
    Asmongold is actually a great example. At one point, he was a nobody. At that time, bigger people quit covering the game and he continued to do so. Now he is a big player in the community.

Two of the biggest youtubers to ever cover the game were Jesse Cox and Totalbiscuit, and they both quit in MoP and cata respectively. Nothing new.
    The old guard retires, and young blood takes their spot.
    Owner of ONEAzerothTV
    Tanking, Blood DK Mythic+ Pugging, Soloing and WoW Challenges alongside other discussions about all things in World of Warcraft
    ONEAzerothTV

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by NoobistTV-Metro View Post
    Not a problem at all. There are dozens if not hundreds of youtubers covering the game.
    Asmongold is actually a great example. At one point, he was a nobody. At that time, bigger people quit covering the game and he continued to do so. Now he is a big player in the community.
    So this Asmongold guy, who was in the video didn't quit, but made a video about some other, even more obscure youtuber quitting? Man, just as I thought I was getting the hang of this..

So who quit? This babyface dude?