Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Glaziola View Post
    For that reason i only watch the asmon gold highlights like when he is raging etc. its quite funny.
    You do prove a point, for the highlights only.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Swordfish Trombone View Post
    So this Asmongold guy, who was in the video didn't quit, but made a video about some other, even more obscure youtuber quitting? Man, just as I thought I was getting the hang of this..

So who quit? This babyface dude?
    If I recall, Asmon has quit a few times before.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Gehco View Post
    If I recall, Asmon has quit a few times before.
    Argh Oh well. It's incredibly hard to make sense of youtubers 'who is who' if you don't follow that scene at all.
    I when it comes to WoW youtubers, I only really follow Bay (very extensive coverage) .. and Crendor well because he's Crendor.. Rest are a jumbled mess of talking heads in front of a game background.

Many of the WoW youtubers just drone on aimlessly about some half-news because they need to keep their daily "segment" going. It's mostly about them and their click-money and not that much about the community. This is one of the reasons I like FinalBoss. Bay's channel is very community service oriented.

All about click-bait videos. WoW has next to no entertainment value to the eye, not really a suprise there - outside of PvP it's a scripted environment with NPC's playing out. Compared to something like League, exciting, fast paced, hundreds of different variables going into the game every minute to alter the outcome etc - something different everygame. Can't really compare the two, outside of informational videos WoW offers pretty much nothing to the video/streaming factor.

Interest in WoW has dropped from the days of it being used to advertise mountain dew on tv back in the wrath era. It has its players but its not drawing new users in huge numbers because no mmo is drawing in younger generations because its lost its unique online progression element which even call of duty has in some regards now. For a lot of these people that want the youtubebux lifestyle this is an attempt at a job and i dont know about you i havent looked up wow videos since cataclysm and mists of pandaria ate up way more of my time than cata did. Whats the point of them? lore? guides? why stick to one videogame in this day and age when so few people do that themselves?

I think the best barometer for this isnt youtubers but the podcasts that started this stuff way back when. I havent checked in on them in years but hasnt even the big ones like The instance had to go form "your number one world of wacraft podcast" to a "blizzard games podcast" where they talk about overwatch and hearthstone instead?

Youtube channels take time and in some countries strangle your bandwidth and usage caps. If nobody cares about WoW videos and nobody is watching even the folks doing it for a hobby rather than trying to get e-famous would see it as a disheartening waste of time.

But bare in mind this is not a WoW problem, this is a 'channels sticking to one game' problem. From Halo to Final Fantasy, from WoW to Minecraft i have seen people say "Why are all these channels dropping their game exclusivity and no new ones are popping up?" and its simply because the bubble is bursting.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    I've come across a video about this and I'm wondering what you make of this.

What can Blizz do to generate more hype and excitement regarding World of Warcraft? It's definitely a problem if youtubers are switching to other games isn't it?

Here's one video on the issue.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S62mjkgtNm8
    I watch several wow youtubers, none of them quit, each got huge numbers increases with Legion that continue to this day, don't see any issue

Quote Originally Posted by Saafiaxo View Post
    I kind of agree to be honest. Like sure, I do sometimes enjoy watching the PvP tournaments, but I usually just lose interest after like -20 minutes.

LoL/Hearthstone/OW/CS:GO are far more "entertaining" to watch

I can't even watch arena - how boring is seeing two teams pillar hump for 10+ minutes?
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Nah nah, see... I live by one simple creed: You might catch more flies with honey, but to catch honeys you gotta be fly.

Honestly, I feel like it's half because WoW is becoming more and more user friendly over time that the content creators could make gets smaller and smaller each expansion.

There are a number of obvious reasons youtubers have stopped caring about WoW:

Legion Hype Is Over:

The Hype for Legion was more effective than the delivery. We can all agree Legion is *better* Than WoD though its subjective as to how much better than WoD it honestly is as alot of people have already left after 3 months. Alot of youtubers were streaming info about Legion in order to get views during its announcement, speculation and beta testing phases to get some attention to their channels, now that its out, that phase is over.

Some Youtubers have Covered WoW for literally Ten Years:

Some youtubers are just tired of the same old shit. They might love the game, they might even love what WoW represented in the past but the game they loved isnt the game they love now. They've moved on, most of them are either too old, too tired, or just convinced theres no investment in the game worth persuing anymore longer than 2 months of content.

Some Left for the loss/decline of Guilds they Belong Too:

Like the above point, it was rather that instead of them being fed up there was a constant amount of others feeling done with the game. This leads to declining guild interest, declining recruitment and eventually just disbandment or abandonment of a guild for a long while. Some youtubers liked to do stuff with their guild and so without that guild they're just not interested anymore.

Legion Really Isnt For Everyone:

The PvP Scene in Legion is a very hit/miss experience with MOST PvPers leaning towards *miss* as it offers nothing new to the scene beyond the revamped talent system and presteige ranks which only last so long before they become stale. Since it offers no *real* competetive scene that offers genuine *I am better than you* points to people it basically falls flat on itself. As such, some might like it, but a vast majority of youtubers on wow coverage for pvp, dont.

Raiding Got Boring:

Raiding has definatley got more boring over the years. The demand for entry, the lack of willingness to help people, the anti-social desire to keep people on your level. The demand for curve achievements and alot more just made raiding so off putting an unengaging. Also the fact the reward system slowly turned from being REWARDED for killing a boss and GETTING gear to "MAYBE" getting gear if you spam enough bonus rolls and pray to the dice gods. Loot was always RNG based but -NEVER- as heavily as Legion has made it.

In conclusion, people have a right to be fed up of a game. Alot of us stopped playing, myself included, I will return for 7.2 to get flying in the broken shores and after that I probably wont bother comming back at all until after Legion is finished.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    People that don't realise a 12 year old game is going to start having people who have played it for a decade start moving on with things?

MMO's as a Genre are a dying breed. But WoW has been quite successful in stopping the Hemorrhaging that other MMO's have suffered badly from AND still retains a subscription model.

Why is this a thread? Players, streamers, youtubers, randomjoes get bored with games every now and then, and move on to fresher things, new games, etc.

Should we make a thread about every one of them?

Buh BYE...YT has nerfed the quality of available info pretty bad over the years. Used to be able to google something, copy/paste some cords in a few seconds. Now you gota watch some attention seeker "hey guys" a 5 minute video of how to take a flight path...

Frankly I wonder why some of these people didnt do it earlier, focusing on one game for years ? That's neither fun nor a good business practice.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    I've come across a video about this and I'm wondering what you make of this.

What can Blizz do to generate more hype and excitement regarding World of Warcraft? It's definitely a problem if youtubers are switching to other games isn't it?

Here's one video on the issue.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S62mjkgtNm8
    Making a better game comes to mind, less grindy, less RNG (As Legion has more RNG than WoW has ever had), free loot and epics for everyone, including effortless luckbased Legendary drops, as well as crate based PvP gear drop system for honor system 3.0 In Legion, adding more RNG and less guarantee to gear you'll get, as well as Artifact Power being deciding factor In If you're ahead or behind - not only for Mythic raiders, but for PvPers as well and adding to that the heavily RNG based gear drop system added Instead of the good old buy gear with currency system.... and that's not even half, that's off the top of my head.

How about that, also destroying the Lore doesn't help for those hardcore Into Lore. "Turalyon and Alleria were off fighting demons for many many years, as time passed differently for them" as well as doing TOO MUCH TIME TRAVEL TIME DIMENSIONAL NONSENSE since Warlords. It's like... what are you doing to the universe I love, game... Illidan Is now on a redemption story which Blizzard really loves, ever since Kerrigan, who Illidan Is becoming. The Kerrigan of WoW, If you know Starcraft's ending you know why. Angelic, I'm the chosen one, despite killing THOUSANDS If not MILLIONS of people.. but killing the biggest baddest In our universe redeems him.

Quote Originally Posted by Colonel SnackyCakes View Post
    People that don't realise a 12 year old game is going to start having people who have played it for a decade start moving on with things?

MMO's as a Genre are a dying breed. But WoW has been quite successful in stopping the Hemorrhaging that other MMO's have suffered badly from AND still retains a subscription model.
    Pretty much

10+ Year Old Account
    People get burnt out. New people take their place.

I don't personally see the point of watching someone just play a game. I understand that people like to watch guides as well as series where the quests are narrated. Videos like this, I suspect are there just for "white noise"

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilgemesh View Post
    99% of these come to 2 things. Their viewer counts are declining and they're spending entirely too much time testing the new content before it comes out to enjoy it once it's out.
    Also, that time spent testing doesn't amount to anything - at least in the class department.

That's what happens when you shit where you eat. You burn out from playing a game as a job. It really is inevitable no matter what the game. However, subscribers may watch the channel because they like hearing about said game and will likely just unsubscribe. If they can carry the channel and handle the subscriber loss That will inevitably come from switching to other games that might not interest people then good for them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by hulkgor View Post
    Why is this a thread? Players, streamers, youtubers, randomjoes get bored with games every now and then, and move on to fresher things, new games, etc.

Should we make a thread about every one of them?
    It's a vicious cycle which can send WoW into oblivion.

Deleted
    There Are so many YouTube videos of wow - guides, gameplay , you name it its there. There are tons of fan site with guides so youtubers are also having a hard time competing. Not to mention that there are many streaming many hours each day on twitch - many former youtubers. Those who want to watch wow have a new source, and YouTube as a media are outdated for game streaming.

remember that the people quitting on forums and youtube are the extremely vocal, useless minority. then ask yourself two things

why do you care about the choices someone else makes about the things they enjoy in their spare time?

where did your life go wrong if you care about the choices people you never met, will never know, and never interact with, and let their opinions (which for leisure, are vastly different than yours) dictate your life choices?