Page 3 of 44 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    I don't "hate" people for their tastes -- that would be silly.

I would however never eat a "well done" good cut of meat, if given a choice. Whenever I see someone who completely cooks their meat I can't do anything but think "what a waste!".

If you like your meat well done: can you actually tell the difference between say, a filet, to any other cut?

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    If it's not well done then it's poorly done. Easy.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

Context is important. If it's a cheap or lean cut of beef then cook it well done, preferably marinated and sauced. Steaks that have been frozen for sure cook it this way.

If it's a nice cut, then go some level of rare. The tenderness and flavor are not to be missed.

If you do prefer well done, a cheaper cut's texture and taste will turn out exactly the same as an expensive cut.

I regularly cook so there's enjoyment to be had from both cuts of beef. But definitely a well-done, expensive cut of meat is a waste of money.

I've tried eating steak medium rare. Far too bloody for me, I wanted to eat meat, not drink half a pint of blood as well
    For the Alliance, and for Azeroth!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    Because it defeats the purpose of eating a good steak.
    So? I know how I like my meats, and I'll stick to it, I've had rare steaks, I've had medium rare steaks, and I didn't enjoy them as much as well done. Same goes for most other meats.
    Shath'mag vwyq shu et'agthu, Shath'mag sshk ye! Krz'ek fhn'z agash zz maqdahl or'kaaxth'ma amqa!
    The Black Empire once ruled this pitiful world, and it will do so again! Your pitiful kind will know only despair and sorrow for a hundred thousand millennia to come!

Quote Originally Posted by schwarzkopf View Post
    Seriously - just because I want my meat cooked, suddenly it becomes a critical issue of your existence ?
    No, its fine if thats how you like the meat, but you've butchered and ruined it by that point.

Personally, I have blue steak myself and I commit a sin by having some ketchup on the side.

Bonus: When you order blue, if its a young pretty girl serving you, and she asks how you want it reply with "Just wipe its arse and shove it on a plate" The looks you get are amazing,

Quote Originally Posted by gcsmith View Post
    I've tried eating steak medium rare. Far too bloody for me, I wanted to eat meat, not drink half a pint of blood as well
    Steak isn't bloody when it's medium rare.

Deleted
    Rare is plain disgusting. Medium is garbage.
    It's called "well done" for a reason. Because it's fucking done well. Checkmate, raw meat eating peasants.

I'll never understand people who get super triggered by the way other people eat their steak. My friends do it all the time too.

I just don't understand the appeal of steak, yeah the most expensive steak I've had was like $40 or something, but it definitely wasn't worth that (IN MY OPINION).

Deleted
    The problem with all of the pretentiousness surrounding food and drink is they are just flavours so it's subjective. There's a good Penn and Teller BS episode on this as your senses are also very easily tricked.

I had duck that was close to raw in a restaurant run by a very well respected chef. I found it inedible, I didn't say anything at the time but I'd send it back and ask them to actually cook it next time.

Quote Originally Posted by superdx View Post
    If it's a nice cut, then go some level of rare. The tenderness and flavor are not to be missed.

If you do prefer well done, a cheaper cut's texture and taste will turn out exactly the same as an expensive cut.
    =>
    Quote Originally Posted by Akka View Post
    Funny thing, the main claim is that the nuances of the taste are ruined when cooked beyond rare/blue/whatever their snobbishness consider the best cooking, and that everything above "taste the same". My own experience with my own taste buds is the opposite : if a meat is not cooked enough, it just has the samey raw taste regardless of its quality, while decently cooked (not charred, obviously) meat has a much more flavorous and nuanced taste, allowing to feel a big difference between qualities.
    It's as if different people have different perceptions
    You're welcome !

Quote Originally Posted by b2121945 View Post
    It's called "well done" for a reason. Because it's fucking done well.
    Rare has better stats then?

First off, I have no issue eating red meat.

That said, I cannot for the life of me understand the insanity surrounding it. It seems, to some people, that the redder, the better. Why are you even getting a steak at this point? Go out and buy a cow, shoot it, and tear the meat off with your teeth. Following the seeming logic, this must then be the tastiest possible steak that doesn't involve eating it off an actual, live cow.

In any case, generally I prefer medium-well, but well done is fine, as is rare for that matter. I just prefer the medium-well area.

Much as anyone is already throwing dumb generalizations about in this thread and thus making them increasingly meaningless, I'll add my own: If you seriously care that much about what other people do with their own shit, given that it isn't hurting you, then... stop being such a fucking busybody and go have a wank or something. Leave people be.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gestopft View Post
    I mean, if you like eating shoe leather...

Granted there are some cuts where I'm OK with or even like well done, like the outer parts of a roast where you can really taste the rub/seasoning, but- for many meat eaters (steaks especially), tenderness is one the most desired qualities of the best cuts of meat, and cooking one of those cuts to well trades the tenderness for toughness.

Ground meats, however, should really be cooked through.
    "Well done" is not shoe leather. If it's shoe leather, it's overcooked.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    Its almost like taste is subjective and people should just mind there own business.
    Your opinion is bad and you should feel bad.
    Putin khuliyo

10+ Year Old Account

Seems relevant.

Well done steaks taste like cardboard.
    Speciation Is Gradual

Deleted
    I have never personally encountered opinions regarding meat choices here in the UK, is this an American thing to judge on how a steak is cooked?

This is as bad as arguing that eating a certain food with or without salad/sauce is ruining it, everyone has their own taste and you shouldn't care what they do with their lives (after all, it is their money).

Quote Originally Posted by b2121945 View Post
    Rare is plain disgusting. Medium is garbage.
    It's called "well done" for a reason. Because it's fucking done well. Checkmate, raw meat eating peasants.
    It's called well done because it's shorter than saying "Well done dumbass you have no idea how to properly cook a steak". It's a literal waste of money to buy anything but the shittiest cuts of steak if you cook it well done. I could pan sear a dump and I bet people who eat well done couldn't tell the difference .

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    "Well done" is not shoe leather. If it's shoe leather, it's overcooked.

The difference between the two is kinda like comparing the difference between a serial killer who killed 100 people to one who killed 101. I mean I guess you could make the argument that the 1st one isn't as bad but it's largely a distinction without any real difference.
    Last edited by shimerra; 2017-01-01 at 01:47 PM.
    “Logic: The art of thinking and reasoning in strict accordance with the limitations and incapacities of the human misunderstanding.”
    "Conservative, n: A statesman who is enamored of existing evils, as distinguished from the Liberal who wishes to replace them with others."
    Ambrose Bierce
    The Bird of Hermes Is My Name, Eating My Wings To Make Me Tame.

To be honest those people (who freak out about a well done steak) are crazier than vegan + feminist + SJW combined.

Homophobia is so gay.

Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    Steak isn't bloody when it's medium rare.
    Has been every time I've ordered it that way from different restaurants
    For the Alliance, and for Azeroth!

10+ Year Old Account
    It's a waste of fucking meat. If you're gonna eat well done, just be a fucking vegan. You don't appreciate the animal that was slaughtered for that steak.
    You're getting exactly what you deserve.