Page 5 of 44 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by shimerra View Post
    Once again, not blood. It's mygloblin and water
    it's muscle blood. The difference from the regular blood is purely technical. It serves the same function as hemoglobin. So for all intents and purposes if you see it leaking from meat - that meat is not cooked enough.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    it's muscle blood. The difference from the regular blood is purely technical. It serves the same function as hemoglobin. So for all intents and purposes if you see it leaking from meat - that meat is not cooked enough.
    And again, overcooking you food doesn't magically make it disappear. All it does is burn off the water so you're still eating that icky stuff you hate so much all you've done is visually fool yourself into thinking it's not there.

And if it's not there you've burnt all the moisture and flavor out of the meat.
    “Logic: The art of thinking and reasoning in strict accordance with the limitations and incapacities of the human misunderstanding.”
    "Conservative, n: A statesman who is enamored of existing evils, as distinguished from the Liberal who wishes to replace them with others."
    Ambrose Bierce
    The Bird of Hermes Is My Name, Eating My Wings To Make Me Tame.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    For every snob in this thread, when I get home from this deployment, I'm going to eat THREE well done steaks.
    And then have a heart attack.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    After being a Chef and realizing just how badly well done ruins the meat it changed my perspective.

Want a random piece of Rump or shitty BBQ steak Well done? Sure. Go for it. Seeing someone burn a Rib Eye or Scotch Fillet to Black hurts my soul.

But meh each to their own. Technically putting sauce or additional salt is sacrilege as well.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by shimerra View Post
    And again, overcooking you food doesn't magically make it disappear. All it does is burn off the water so you're still eating that icky stuff you hate so much all you've done is visually fool yourself into thinking it's not there.

And if it's not there you've burnt all the moisture and flavor out of the meat.
    For fucks sake, the issue is not with eating it. But with it leaking - means meat is not cooked.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

Quote Originally Posted by Nitro Fun View Post
    I don't understand it. They're acting as if I've killed their family or something when I want my meat well done. Why is this?

I think it's far tastier to have it well done than if it it's medium like most people seem to want it.
    I worked as a Butcher for over 15 years. With all the health stuff we learned about meat(beef mainly) when it is not fully cooked i will never eat a steak that not well done again. There is an over cook point. I have found if I go to just before its considered "well" and temps are good that it still stays juicy and flavorfull

Quote Originally Posted by Norsewind View Post
    Sorry but I like any meat so well done that it's crispy and crunchy, imo it tastes better, and the nasty bloody mess that other people eat bothers the hell out of me... may as well be some savage living on an island eating something right after they killed it without even cooking it... but that's just my view on it...
    And that's why you don't skip school, biology, physics and chemistry are pretty fucking useful to every day life despite what you might think.

What comes out of proper medium rare or medium steak is myoglobin(an iron- and oxygen-binding protein found in the muscle tissue) and NOT hemoglobin(the iron-containing oxygen-transport metalloprotein in the red blood cells of all vertebrates). Those aren't the fucking same. They are both red because they contain iron and oxygen, arterial blood is bright red(because it contains oxygen) and venous blood is dark red and looks purple(because it already transported the oxygen).

Do you want to take a stab at why meat loses taste and color when overcooked?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Moozart View Post
    I worked as a Butcher for over 15 years. With all the health stuff we learned about meat(beef mainly) when it is not fully cooked i will never eat a steak that not well done again.
    If we go with what we know about food in general, I shouldn't be eating anything.

Kek:

P.S. This is pretty neat:

Quote Originally Posted by Glaziola View Post
    Completely agreed, always eat well done, when I googled what rare looks like.. just disgusting.
    The fear of the pink meat is what deters a lot of people who've never experienced a high quality steak. I recommend trying one some time.

Personally I prefer medium rare though.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ichifails View Post
    And that's why you don't skip school, biology, physics and chemistry are pretty fucking useful to every day life despite what you might think.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ichifails View Post
    What comes out of proper medium rare or medium steak is myoglobin
    That's muscle blood. lol.

I read this book by this chef who worked at famous restaurants. They would save the cheapest, worst cuts of meat for people who wanted their steaks well done, then they figured the person wouldn't know they were getting cheated anyway.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

The problem with well done steak and why ppl say it wastes the quality of the meat is that once you push temperature of the steak to well done, the fat and other moisture gets almost all squeezed out of the steak as the muscles toughen up. That fat and moisture carries a lot of flavor that farmers quite expensively try to impart into the cow's meat and if you get rid of it during cooking, you are basically wasting money.

Another problem is that at well done the meat toughens up and instead of something that melts in your mouth, you get exercise in chewing.

Simple example of differences between medium rare/medium and well done steak ... you can order the first one bare, without anything and just eat it. Well done steak ? You need some gravy or sauce or glass of water ...

The limit to steaks is at medium well for the super fatty cuts, anything further is like warm beer without bubbles. If you like it you like it, but it's not beer at its best.

My part in this story has been decided. And I will play it well.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Moozart View Post
    I worked as a Butcher for over 15 years. With all the health stuff we learned about meat(beef mainly) when it is not fully cooked i will never eat a steak that not well done again. There is an over cook point. I have found if I go to just before its considered "well" and temps are good that it still stays juicy and flavorfull
    And that is the whole reason why we even started to cook food.

First it tastes way way better than something raw (hence while our prehestoric ancestors cooked anything because it made the meat more acceptable and this gotten hardwired in our brains so people with normal brains prefer cooked meat).

Second as Moozart has already mentioned it because not cooking meat is just perfect for saying "I want to fuck up my body with all the bad things still in the meat".

Make it dry like cardboard and then finish fucking it up with gobs of sauce.

aka a 22 dollar hamburger from a vending machine.
    Disarm now correctly removes the targets’ arms.

Quote Originally Posted by Pickynerd View Post
    Make it dry like cardboard and then finish fucking it up with gobs of sauce.

aka a 22 dollar hamburger from a vending machine.
    I hope by sauce you mean ketchup.
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

Quote Originally Posted by Colonel SnackyCakes View Post
    Technically putting sauce or additional salt is sacrilege as well.
    You mean salting after the steak is cooked?

That's like saying you don't think the chef knows how to do his job :P

It's very different from blood, they drain the blood out when they slaughter the animal.

Leaking fluid does not mean it's not cooked enough. It just means that the "seal" on the outside has some cracks in it, which is common because steaks are irregularly shaped. Any steak that isn't incinerated is juicy in the middle, only the charred outside stops it from leaking out.

If you're worried about "rawness" you just need to ensure the center reaches 160F (~70C), which is the temperature of medium rare. Though I've heard that 145F is sufficient for a single steak, as opposed to ground steak, because no surface contaminants are introduced into the interior (and obviously the surface reaches a much higher temperature in the sear).

- - - Updated - - -

That's muscle blood. lol.
    Why are you concerned about the word "blood" anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by mayhem008 View Post
    I hope by sauce you mean ketchup.
    Well I wasn't talking about an ookie cookie, but I guess katchup is right up there on the list of nasty shit to put on food.
    Disarm now correctly removes the targets’ arms.

Elemental Lord Lady Dragonheart's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Amongst the Wilds, or in my Garrison... >.>
    I generally prefer my meat well done, but it's more a matter of intestinal fortitude and risk of contaminated meat (especially so if I'm not making the meal).
    I am both the Lady of Dusk, Vheliana Nightwing & Dark Priestess of Lust, Loreleî Legace!
    ~~ ~~
    <3 ~ I am also the ever-enticing leader of <The Coven of Dusk Desires> on Moon Guard!

Quote Originally Posted by gcsmith View Post
    Has been every time I've ordered it that way from different restaurants
    To be honest, whatever you order you're going to get different results from different restaurants. Not only does everyone have a different idea of what the terms mean, so do many actual restaurants, not to mention their processes are often not controlled in any way. Probably varies by cut as well.

Only way to get a uniform "doneness" of steak is to use the sous vide method with prescribed temperatures. Which I think only the higher end restaurants would do.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    "Well done" is not shoe leather. If it's shoe leather, it's overcooked.
    This is the real problem and why this always results in a heated argument: nobody even agrees on the actual definitions.

10+ Year Old Account
    Didn't know people got mad about this.

At least not so many.