Page 17 of 44 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fojos View Post
    Most of what they taste is spices, not meat.
    Do you have some kind of stats to back up "people who like medium drown their meat in spices and sauces"? Or are you just talking out of your ass? Theres lots of that going on in this thread, some people just can't accept being wrong.

If I wanted to eat raw meat I wouldn't be at a steak house.
    Me thinks Chromie has a whole lot of splaining to do!

Quote Originally Posted by Steve French View Post
    Do you have some kind of stats to back up "people who like medium drown their meat in spices and sauces"? Or are you just talking out of your ass? Theres lots of that going on in this thread, some people just can't accept being wrong.
    Number one thing you learn when you start making meat is to season with plenty of salt and pepper. It's not exactly some hidden complex science.

Most of what they taste is spices, not meat.
    That's not true.

Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    Beer is disgusting at first too.
    are you sure you're not a Romulan? Well done steak is terrible and my opinion of it has nothing to do with how much of an inconvenience it is for a chef to make it. Medium rare is the way to go.
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

10+ Year Old Account
    Okay, I provided my proof, even though you've hand waived it and said not good enough. Now it's your turn. Prove what I posted is wrong. Otherwise you're just talk, some smug arrogant know it all, who actually knows nothing.
    You provided nothing. Try again next time.

Here. I'll do some work for you, since you're lazy.

http://www.scienceofcooking.com/meat/slow_cooking1.htm

At the bottom of the article it provides two source claims.

Review: Collagen contribution to meat toughness: Theoretical aspects Jacques Lepetit ..Meat Science 80 (2008) 960–967

Offer, G., & Knight, P. (1988). The structural basis of water-holding in meat. Part 1: General principles and water uptake in meat processing. Developments in Meat Science, 4, 63–171.
    Notice, the first source regarding meat toughness, is explicitly stated as theory.

If you're ok with being pseudo-intellectual at best, that's fine. But don't try to shit-talk when you don't have ground to stand on.

And here's the "current" definition of "well-done" based on its entomology.

adjective
    performed accurately and diligently; executed with skill and efficiency.
    (of meat) thoroughly cooked, especially until all redness is gone.

So by that context, someone who can cook a well-done steak should be skilled and efficient.
    There are no bathrooms, only Zuul.

7+ Year Old Account
    Number one thing you learn when you start making meat is to season with plenty of salt and pepper. It's not exactly some hidden complex science.
    Pepper? No, pepper burns easily and tastes nasty when its burnt, unless you use white pepper. And salt? You think a small pinch of salt ruins the flavor of steak? Thats really the "smothered in spices" you were talking about? Is some salt? Okay, good to know I don't have to take you seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by Nitro Fun View Post
    I don't understand it. They're acting as if I've killed their family or something when I want my meat well done. Why is this?

I think it's far tastier to have it well done than if it it's medium like most people seem to want it.
    You might prefer the taste and that's fine, but objectively the overcooking removes moisture and flavour from the meat and makes it tougher. Pretty much you can take a real quality cut of meat and ruin it by cooking it well done, you're not benefitting from the quality so much. Every food has a somewhat generally accepted optimum point for cooking, with Steak that is generally Medium Rare to Medium.

Quote Originally Posted by Spiffums View Post
    If I wanted to eat raw meat I wouldn't be at a steak house.
    You're assuming then that it's not cooked, which is ignorance on your part.

You season it with salt & pepper prior to cooking, intensifies the flavour... salt & pepper are the most commonly used ingredients in cooking for intensifying flavours. You posting this as a reply to that previous guy makes it seem as if you believe salt & pepper is used to mask poor taste/flavour, or as if it's something exclusive to cooking steak and that it's a point that supports your argument, which is ridiculous.

On the sauces part I don't actually know anyone who eats steak with a sauce, it's not a normal thing to do here.
    Last edited by Bigbazz; 2017-01-01 at 11:37 PM.
    Probably running on a Pentium 4

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ImpTaimer View Post
    Blah
    Lol so you try to link me some BS on slow cooking shitty cuts of meat and think that has ANYTHING to do with cooking nice steaks to medium? I see you really don't have the capacity to have a honest conversation. Guess this is relevant to all those people that cook 30$ steaks in a crock-pot for 6 hours huh?

10+ Year Old Account
    No hate but well done steaks is like eating a shoe. Gotta drown it in sauce just to get some moisture in there.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mayhem008 View Post
    are you sure you're not a Romulan? Well done steak is terrible and my opinion of it has nothing to do with how much of an inconvenience it is for a chef to make it. Medium rare is the way to go.
    Unfortunately that's the only real argument people/chefs have against "well-done" steaks. Period.

Pepper? No, pepper burns easily and tastes nasty when its burnt, unless you use white pepper. And salt? You think a small pinch of salt ruins the flavor of steak? Thats really the "smothered in spices" you were talking about? Is some salt? Okay, good to know I don't have to take you seriously.
    http://www.seriouseats.com/images/20...-seasoning.jpg

If you consider this few, sure.

10+ Year Old Account
    Lol so you try to link me some BS on slow cooking shitty cuts of meat and think that has ANYTHING to do with cooking nice steaks to medium? I see you really don't have the capacity to have a honest conversation. Guess this is relevant to all those people that cook 30$ steaks in a crock-pot huh?
    Find me the relevanc of price and meat, and I'll bother replying constructively.

You lost. Get over it.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiram View Post
    I say there is no hate towards people who want their meat well done. Never read of this before. Any sources?
    As a former chef, I can tell you every single person i have ever worked with cringes when an order comes in for a well done steak, they are a huge pain in the ass. So i feel like there is some animosity there.

When cooking for friends and family I dont mind if someone asks for well done

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dugraka View Post
    No hate but well done steaks is like eating a shoe. Gotta drown it in sauce just to get some moisture in there.
    Or you just never had a well-done steak made properly.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by monkmastaeq View Post
    As a former chef, I can tell you every single person i have ever worked with cringes when an order comes in for a well done steak, they are a huge pain in the ass. So i feel like there is some animosity there.

So you're just confirming the issue with "well-done" is that it requires effort and breaks "procedure"?

I like my meat straight out of the toaster

7+ Year Old Account
    Find me the relevanc of price and meat, and I'll bother replying constructively.

You lost. Get over it.
    You have nothing to add and are trying to "win" by linking a bunch of irrelevant information, steak tastes better when its not cooked into oblivion, fact, deal with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post

And as I've said a couple of times now, it's not uncommon for me to eat totally unseasoned meat, so I can personally guarantee you the flavor I experience with the unseasoned stuff is still very noticeable, even when I do season it.
    Salt and pepper is all you really need, maybe garlic salt if thats your thing. Salt helps draw out moisture to aid in the searing. And the buring of both the salt and pepper to get that blackened char encasing a wonderfully tender med rare cut...heaven on a fork.

As for the sauce bit, in no way do I NEED A1 on a steak, but I like a little on there. I lightly dip my bite, then wipe off excess on the plate. I just want a hint of that tang to go with the meat. But I can and do enjoy steaks without A1, I just like it as a compliment.
    READ and be less Ignorant.

7+ Year Old Account
    Or you just never had a well-done steak made properly.

- - - Updated - - -

So you're just confirming the issue with "well-done" is that it requires effort and breaks "procedure"?
    Yes 100% that is why there is so much animosity towards people liking well done.

I personally eat med rare because I feel like it is juicer and has more flavor, but that is personal opinion. I hate raw onions and raw broccoli but like them cooked, so personal opinion

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by monkmastaeq View Post

In my entire life I was only once in a steak-house, and on their menu they had 5 different options just about how bloody you want it. And tbh this was a cake. If you think this is hard try to make a good coffee. Non of my forum accounts ever survived a coffee community more than 2 weeks.

Tbh: Can you just find a mushroom that will give me the same taste and make a pizza with it? The world entirely would be grateful for this. More than elitist jobs doing elitist things - nothing else is this about. If you work as cook you work for people who have money and expectations. You could do it for free and I bet most of your customers would tell you that it was the most delicious thing they have ever eaten.