Page 19 of 44 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Well done is just pure waste. A steak should be cooked in a proper iron pan with just salt and black pepper as seasoning and a small nob of butter in the pan. You can throw a twig of rosemary in the pan if your feeling fabulous I guess. But marinating or herb rubbing steak is just destroying the flavour so is using Ketchup or cooking it all the way through...

10+ Year Old Account
    You can definitely cook a good well done steak. Doesn't mean that it would beat a medium or whatever steak but it can absolutely be done. One thing you can't do is cook it like a medium steak. Most people throw their steaks on high heat, you can't do that when going to well done because the outside will be ruined with all the flavor gone before the center is done. You have to cook it at a medium or low heat so that the steak cooks as evenly as possible without obliterating the nature juices.

When you eat BBQ is it not well done?

Roast beef tends to come out on the medium-well side at home unless you have the right equipment and not cooking like most people, something you can just set in forget.

I guess if you enjoy bland food you can stick the the laws of steak. Most are nonsense to me.

If I had money I would order Kobe beef well done and stream it to shut down the viral game for a couple of days. I can see the memes now!

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by pacox View Post
    You can definitely cook a good well done steak. Doesn't mean that it would beat a medium or whatever steak but it can absolutely be done. One thing you can't do is cook it like a medium steak. Most people throw their steaks on high heat, you can't do that when going to well done because the outside will be ruined with all the flavor gone before the center is done. You have to cook it at a medium or low heat so that the steak cooks as evenly as possible without obliterating the nature juices.

When you eat BBQ is it not well done?

Roast beef tends to come out on the medium-well side at home unless you have the right equipment and not cooking like most people, something you can just set in forget.

I guess if you enjoy bland food you can stick the the laws of steak. Most are nonsense to me.

If I had money I would order Kobe beef well done and stream it to shut down the viral game for a couple of days. I can see the memes now!
    The issue is that "cooks" don't have the time to cook it properly, or don't know how to actually do it, so they overcook it and give it to pseudo-experts you see in this thread. And then they bash on it.

I don't want it rare and I don't like sushi. I am a human, dammit.

Quote Originally Posted by Valech View Post
    Well done steaks are chewier and lost a lot of their taste. That is why many people, who decide to get their steak well done, afterwards drown it in a sauce of their chosing. You can easily test that yourself. Get a common cut from a bovine and prepare it well done. Just salt and pepper. Then prepare meat with a strong gamey note, like boar. prepare it the same way, well done, salt and pepper. If prepared the same way, you will not be able to taste the difference. Both will have a seared, crispy skin, both will be chewy and both will taste like salt and pepper.

Now, obviously you can eat whatever you want. But if you are presented several options and you pick the one offering you the least I will look down on you.

On the other side, once they are able to produce artificial, grey, chewy "meat", you will have a cheap alternative to real meat.
    Apparently two thirds of wild boar have hepatitis. For the sake of your liver, cook it through. Source was a hunter that we bought some off a year or two ago.

How to cook meat "well done", so that it is done well:

Sear it in a hot frying pan or griddle pan. Wrap it loosely in foil, and place in an 90°C oven for 15-20 minutes. Result: moist, tender and not pink steak. Let it rest in the foil for a good 5 minutes after you're done cooking so that it reabsorbs the juice.

If you slam it on the grill and cook it quickly you'll get boot leather.

Quote Originally Posted by W1sp View Post
    Well done is just pure waste. A steak should be cooked in a proper iron pan with just salt and black pepper as seasoning and a small nob of butter in the pan. You can throw a twig of rosemary in the pan if your feeling fabulous I guess. But marinating or herb rubbing steak is just destroying the flavour so is using Ketchup or cooking it all the way through...
    Garlic should be added too.
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    I don't see how BBQ is a fair comparison to steak at all. It's a totally different dish where half the point of the meat is just to carry sauce to your mouth.
    I never grew up using sauce with BBQ. BBQ sauce was only one chicken/burgers/hot dogs or when someone messed up the pork and beef. Good meat prep and the right fire is all you need. I saw BBQ sauce can ruin good BBQ

Also one of the best steaks I've ever had was a smoked ribeye that was well done by definition.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    Even without sauce, they're doing other things to introduce flavor that isn't native to the meat. It's simply less reliant on the flavor of the meat in the first place.
    Yeah, you prep it just like you'd prep a steak. You don't eat an unseasoned steak do you?

Quote Originally Posted by pacox View Post
    I never grew up using sauce with BBQ. BBQ sauce was only one chicken/burgers/hot dogs or when someone messed up the pork and beef. Good meat prep and the right fire is all you need. I saw BBQ sauce can ruin good BBQ

Also one of the best steaks I've ever had was a smoked ribeye that was well done by definition.
    Ribeye can handle being cooked well done, because it has so much marbling.

Relevent!!

Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

Quote Originally Posted by jdbond592 View Post
    I'm a meat eater. And dammit, I want blood in that juicy steak.

7+ Year Old Account
    No pink, at all, ever, in any meat I eat. I'm not a gddmn barbarian.
    " The guilt of an unnecessary war is terrible." --- President John Adams
    " America goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy." --- President John Quincy Adams
    " Our Federal Union! It must be preserved!" --- President Andrew Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by Steve French View Post
    Once again, it depends on the type and cut of meat but well done ruins certain cuts of meat. It's not opinion its fact, heat slowly degrades the meat, leaving it less tender, less juicy, and has far less taste. If you like a cut of meat well done I'm just going to assume you don't actually like that meat, you just like some bland tough piece of leather you can dip in some sauce.

- - - Updated - - -

Not anymore since you decided to share it with us, but you can eat your meat however you want, did I say otherwise? I might think you're ruining it but it's not like I'm going to stop you.
    You have a real problem distinguishing subjective and objective stuff don't you?
    Gaming & Tech related discussion with occasional poo flinging!
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNS...PDOAsdXS7I029g
    https://twitter.com/Aztech_Zero

Quote Originally Posted by Gestopft View Post
    I mean, if you like eating shoe leather...
    And dying of cancer...

"The majority of these studies have shown that high intake of well-done meat and high exposure to meat carcinogens, particularly HCAs, may increase the risk of human cancer."

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2769029/

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by jdbond592 View Post
    I hate(d) meat that wasn't completely well done, but I love Sushi. Such double standards! ;3

I had just recovered from being ill and went to an interview over dinner. I ordered my burger/steak/whatever well done, and the smart ass waiter says "burned, got it!" And I said, "No not burned, just well done." Because the last thing I needed in my sick body was uncooked bacteria in my system. Anyway he thought he was funny at my expense and I was annoyed b/c I'm at a interview you twat just get the food. I don't think I tipped him but like a dollar, little shit.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by AztechZero View Post
    You have a real problem distinguishing subjective and objective stuff don't you?
    How so? I'm talking facts, not opinions. Got something useful to add?

This is an issue?

Because they are (faux) snobbish morons. That potentially are challenged by the task of boiling water.

Quote Originally Posted by Pendra View Post
    I hate(d) meat that wasn't completely well done, but I love Sushi. Such double standards! ;3
    Love? Not loved? Aren't you a vegetarian?
    Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    Does the CIA pay you for your bullshit or are you just bootlicking in your free time?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    I'm quite tired of people who dislike something/disagree with something while attacking/insulting anyone that disagrees. Its as if at some point, people forgot how opinions work.