Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

question about molex-to-sata adapters

Apparently after picking up a sweet deal on another 480g ssd for extra storage on my computer, I realized that my power source did not have any more sata connectors. So it looks like if I want to actually add on this new drive I will have to use a Molex-to-SATA adapter, but I have heard some unsafe things about them. Does anybody have a good recommendation as far as a safe one to get? My purpose is not to replace an existing drive because I don't want to waste the 240g ssd that is already on my computer, so the obvious solution of cloning it to the bigger drive is not an option.

Thanks!

If your PSU does not have extra sata connectors that is an indicator of its age and quality, spend a few bucks and get a decent quality PSU:
    http://pcpartpicker.com/product/zNK7...ly-100b10500kr

but I just bought this computer two weeks ago. I do have to mention that it already has two sata devices on it.

Quote Originally Posted by spanishninja View Post
    but I just bought this computer two weeks ago. I do have to mention that it already has two sata devices on it.
    Buy the PSU, having only 2 sata connectors is very indicative that it is a pile of crap and should not be powering your PC. The PSU i linked above has 6 sata connectors and is only 40 bucks.

well, I do not have much experience with computer hardware, so I was hoping for as simple a solution as I can get, thus the interest in the molex to sata adapter. never really replaced a power supply before and it seems like something I am uncomfortable doing.

well, I do not have much experience with computer hardware, so I was hoping for as simple a solution as I can get, thus the interest in the molex to sata adapter. never really replaced a power supply before and it seems like something I am uncomfortable doing.
    If you want your hardware to last in your PC, i can guarantee you it will last longer with a 40 dollar PSU upgrade. Its not that the PSU is gonna blow up and make other parts blow up too, but the quality of electricity going into the parts WILL make them last longer with a quality PSU. A PSU upgrade is literally 4 phillips screws then replacing the connectors with the exact same connectors on the new PSU. If it makes you comfortable you could just write on a piece of tape what goes where, should take you less than a half an hour.

If its a 200 dollar desktop from wal mart dont bother, but if you spent 500 or more on the PC Its a worth while investment for longevity of your parts.

In a pre built pic you are likely to get a shit psu... Or at least one that is only meant to handle what's put in it. A molex to Sata adapter should be fine though. You do have enough enough sata ports on your motherboard, correct?

Deleted
    I'ld guess you got a modular psu and you need to connect annother cable.

Quote Originally Posted by DrStiglit View Post
    In a pre built pic you are likely to get a shit psu... Or at least one that is only meant to handle what's put in it. A molex to Sata adapter should be fine though. You do have enough enough sata ports on your motherboard, correct?
    yes, I definitely have enough SATA slots on the motherboard. the thing with replacing the PSU is that there is a lot of compartmentalization inside the case that I think would make it a hassle to get to the PSU. I'm just more comfortable with a molex to sata because the molex connectors are already there and it is less likely that I will mess up.

Nah thats pretty standard for OEM PSU's to only include whats necessary for what ships in the PC.

- - - Updated - - -

yes, I definitely have enough SATA slots on the motherboard. the thing with replacing the PSU is that there is a lot of compartmentalization inside the case that I think would make it a hassle to get to the PSU. I'm just more comfortable with a molex to sata because the molex connectors are already there and it is less likely that I will mess up.
    May i ask, can you link your PC for us?

7+ Year Old Account
    For what it's worth, In my storage/media player box I've had a molex to sata adapter powering my SSD for years now. Never experienced a problem with it and to be honest, never thought that there would be a problem. The PSU in that box is ancient. I can't remember when I bought it.

Quote Originally Posted by Fascinate View Post
    Nah thats pretty standard for OEM PSU's to only include whats necessary for what ships in the PC.

- - - Updated - - -

May i ask, can you link your PC for us?
    It's a cyberpowerpc that I got from costco.com at a 300 dollar rebate. I can't give the link because the model isn't on the website anymore because costco switched to a custom configurator for ordering cyberpowerpcs. Basically it's an i7-6700k/16GB DDR4-2400/GTX1070/240G Sandisk SSD/2TB HDD. Motherboard is an MSI Bazooka Plus B150M. I guess worst case scenario I could just clone my 240GB SSD to the 480, format the 240GB and then hook it up through USB-to-SATA connector for file storage purposes. That sort of thing I think I am more comfortable doing because it's more software and less with tools, I am terrible with tools.
    Last edited by spanishninja; 2017-01-02 at 01:51 AM.

There isnt anything wrong with adapters, the question is how much he spent on his PC and if he cares how long they last. I guarantee if you hooked his PC up to a PSU tester the ripple would be terrible and it would affect the lifetime of his components. They only shoot for bare minimum for PSU's to function in most prebuilts.

I agree that eventually I will have to replace my PSU, but I literally just got this thing a week ago and I honestly don't even know which screws to unscrew to get at the PSU, let alone unplug everything, if that makes sense.

It's a cyberpowerpc that I got from costco.com at a 300 dollar rebate. I can't give the link because the model isn't on the website anymore because costco switched to a custom configurator for ordering cyberpowerpcs. Basically it's an i7-6700k/16GB DDR4-2400/GTX1070/240G Sandisk SSD/2TB HDD. Motherboard is an MSI Bazooka Plus B150M
    You have to realize they only warranty those machines for 1 year, and those parts should easily last 5 years before needing to be upgraded because of performance related issues. I would 100% get a new PSU for that if you want the components to last, if you dont feel comfortable pay someone to do it, its worth it for long term health of your parts.

My dude its not a matter of the PSU going out that is inconsequential, its that the PSU's that ship with those machines are not well built and the quality of the electricity will hurt your expensive parts over time.

It's a cyberpowerpc that I got from costco.com at a 300 dollar rebate. I can't give the link because the model isn't on the website anymore because costco switched to a custom configurator for ordering cyberpowerpcs. Basically it's an i7-6700k/16GB DDR4-2400/GTX1070/240G Sandisk SSD/2TB HDD. Motherboard is an MSI Bazooka Plus B150M. I guess worst case scenario I could just clone my 240GB SSD to the 480, format the 240GB and then hook it up through USB-to-SATA connector for file storage purposes. That sort of thing I think I am more comfortable doing because it's more software and less with tools, I am terrible with tools.
    It is understandable to be uncomfortable with the idea, but the PSU is really quit important and the only tool you need is a screwdriver. It sounds like a pretty solid system that could last you many years if you get a better PSU.

- - - Updated - - -

I agree that eventually I will have to replace my PSU, but I literally just got this thing a week ago and I honestly don't even know which screws to unscrew to get at the PSU, let alone unplug everything, if that makes sense.
    You can see the screws on the back of your PC.. They are where you plug it in. That is your PSU. Just unplug it, then you should see 4 screws around it and viola! There also really shouldn't be that many plugs. You don't need to unplug everything. There are some good PC building tutorials on youtube. It's intimidating, but once you do it you'll realize it's no harder than putting legos together and it's a skill that will be very helpful.

how much do people typically charge to replace power supplies? I don't want to spend a ton on this after buying this computer, but I definitely do not want to do it myself.

how much do people typically charge to replace power supplies? I don't want to spend a ton on this after buying this computer, but I definitely do not want to do it myself.
    You spent easily over a grand for that machine, i would assume no more than 50 bucks is what it would cost for a PSU replacement. 100% worth it for peace of mind and longevity of your parts. Or you could just go for the adapter and post on this forum a day after your warranty expires that your PC wont turn on for some reason.

but is there a need to replace the psu immediately? And does the answer to this question depend on whether I decide to use this molex-to-sata adapter or put in the new hard drive? my thinking is that I bought this brand new computer and that the psu inside it should not need to be replaced after just one week right? I understand the benefits of a better psu but it this computer is working great so far. And I am not trying to be intentionally difficult, but I just want to know what can go wrong with just using everything until the psu dies. I definitely appreciate all the advice.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by DrStiglit View Post
    It is understandable to be uncomfortable with the idea, but the PSU is really quit important and the only tool you need is a screwdriver. It sounds like a pretty solid system that could last you many years if you get a better PSU.

- - - Updated - - -

You can see the screws on the back of your PC.. They are where you plug it in. That is your PSU. Just unplug it, then you should see 4 screws around it and viola! There also really shouldn't be that many plugs. You don't need to unplug everything. There are some good PC building tutorials on youtube. It's intimidating, but once you do it you'll realize it's no harder than putting legos together and it's a skill that will be very helpful.
    would you please share one of these youtube guides? I will try to check it out.
    Last edited by spanishninja; 2017-01-02 at 02:18 AM.

but is there a need to replace the psu immediately? And does the answer to this question depend on whether I decide to use this molex-to-sata adapter or put in the new hard drive? my thinking is that I bought this brand new computer and that the psu inside it should not need to be replaced after just one week right? I understand the benefits of a better psu but it this computer is working great so far. And I am not trying to be intentionally difficult, but I just want to know what can go wrong with just using everything until the psu dies.
    Well again it really depends on how long you want the PC to last. If it was me id replace the PSU immediately because who knows what kind of ripple your parts are getting right now (ripple being the main factor in component lifetime). Your other option would be to wait until the day your warranty expires and put in a PSU that day, but the damage to your components may have already been done by then.

Its just baffling to me cyberpower would sell someone a PC that high end, with a PSU that only has 2 sata connectors. It really is an indicator of its quality, what does the PSU branding say on it?