Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    I just got the cover off of the PSU from inside the case, and it is an ATNG Power Co Ltd 800W power supply. Looks like it's a generic one then right?

Looking at the cables in more detail, what really intimidates me is that a lot of them are hidden behind paneling, which makes the case nice to look at but hard to reach. I really don't want to have to remove stuff like the motherboard or the liquid cooling system just to unplug and then plug back everything.
    Last edited by spanishninja; 2017-01-02 at 02:34 AM.

Yep thats a terd PSU. You are using a $1200 PC with a 20 dollar power supply. You shouldnt have to remove any components unless they routed cables under the motherboard, which is quite unlikely. Water cooling would stay, nothing about it would need to be moved for a PSU replacement. And really that is how cables should be routed not just for looks but helps with airflow to a degree.

The PSU is 80+ rated which is on the low end of efficiency for a 2016 model but at least it has some sort of efficiency rating, but the surprising part is that it only has 2 sata cables. You are sure it isnt modular and there are no cables in the motherboard box or hiding somewhere behind the rear panel of the PC?

Quote Originally Posted by Fascinate View Post
    Yep thats a terd PSU. You are using a $1200 PC with a 20 dollar power supply. You shouldnt have to remove any components unless they routed cables under the motherboard, which is quite unlikely. Water cooling would stay, nothing about it would need to be moved for a PSU replacement. And really that is how cables should be routed not just for looks but helps with airflow to a degree.

The PSU is 80+ rated which is on the low end of efficiency for a 2016 model but at least it has some sort of efficiency rating, but the surprising part is that it only has 2 sata cables. You are sure it isnt modular and there are no cables in the motherboard box or hiding somewhere behind the rear panel of the PC?
    here are some pictures I just took of the sides of the case:

can you elaborate on the point about how at least the power supply has an efficiency rating? What is the 80 referring to? I cannot find any additional ports or connections on the back of the computer, just motherboard connections, or any additional cables.
    Last edited by spanishninja; 2017-01-02 at 02:49 AM.

My opinion hasnt changed on the matter, but i find it really hard to believe that 800w psu only has 2 sata connectors. Follow all the cables i bet you will find some more.

Another unfortunate part of your purchase is they included a b-150 motherboard yet they included a CPU that can be overclocked and to add insult to injury they equipped it with a water cooler for a CPU that cannot be overclocked in that configuration.

This people is a great example of why you dont buy prebuilts, or at the very least ask for advice from someone knowledgeable before your make your purchase.
    @spanishninja, since you are only two weeks out from your purchase date can you return that machine still? You could select a different motherboard and power supply directly from cyberpower for not much more money and get a proper gaming PC.

I just looked it up and it seems you can, from this page:
    http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/company/warranty.aspx
    Company shall provide a refund within 30 days on new notebook and desktop computer systems
    I know its a lot of hassle to return stuff, but in this particular case you really should. You need a system with a z170 motherboard and a name brand PSU with proper connections.
    Last edited by Fascinate; 2017-01-02 at 03:01 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Whilst the cheapest thing is indeed to grab a Molex-to-SATA convertor, and most will work without issues for all of eternity, I have to advise to replace the PSU as fast as you can as well.
    That PSU is probably best used as a quick test PSU for computers as it's got very little use after that.
    I highly doubt it can even reach it's rated 780W on it's 12V rail... ever.

I'm not even starting on the specs they sold you which honest-to-God looks like a random mix-mash to get rid of some components.

But the bigger shock to me is...
    Why in the name of FUCK is there a power adapter, which holds a mini transformer, taped to the back of the CPU socket, which is one of the hottest places of a PC, generating heat from both sides into the socket of the mobo, not to mention an EM field to an area of the mobo which is sensitive to it.
    Also with the EM-field generated by a miniature transformer it will mess with the power delivery to the processor which is already a miniature transmitter of it self.
    Not to mention that most of those power adapters generate quite a high temperature as well making something sensitive to temperatures be put under even more stress?

I'm sorry but this made my brain twitch in a very wrong way.
    I'm recommending you to bring it back as soon as humanly possible, get a refund and either build one yourself or have a friend who knows WTF he's doing do it for you.

I honestly didn't think CyberPowerPC was this bad but this is just... WTF.
    Have you not had some weird glitches happen you cannot explain? Because this sure as shit isn't good.

I am sure the OP is in shock after two people suggested he return it when all he asked was about a power adapter lol. But honestly my dude, since you are only two weeks out from purchase date that is the best thing you can do at this point. You can actually get quality system from cyberpower and upgrading parts can cost as little as 10 bucks over what the standard configuration comes with, and that is my recommendation of what you do.

Quote Originally Posted by spanishninja View Post
    but is there a need to replace the psu immediately? And does the answer to this question depend on whether I decide to use this molex-to-sata adapter or put in the new hard drive? my thinking is that I bought this brand new computer and that the psu inside it should not need to be replaced after just one week right? I understand the benefits of a better psu but it this computer is working great so far. And I am not trying to be intentionally difficult, but I just want to know what can go wrong with just using everything until the psu dies. I definitely appreciate all the advice.

- - - Updated - - -

would you please share one of these youtube guides? I will try to check it out.
    This is a pretty through video on install: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2h_NYl4DRF4

It doesn't cover uninstall but if you just follow the cables you can see what is connected and disconnected in order to removed the PSU.

15+ Year Old Account
    I am sure the OP is in shock after two people suggested he return it when all he asked was about a power adapter lol. But honestly my dude, since you are only two weeks out from purchase date that is the best thing you can do at this point. You can actually get quality system from cyberpower and upgrading parts can cost as little as 10 bucks over what the standard configuration comes with, and that is my recommendation of what you do.
    I couldn't give a flying hoot about the power adapter, as I said he can get it without issue as it's simply a version, there's nothing smart for Molex-to-SATA power.
    Picking any will be fine in general.

Hell the PSU is shit and I recommend replacing it if he keeps it, I don't have an issue with that.

What I have an absolutely disgusting issue with is placing a power adapter on the bloody CPU socket.
    This isn't done... EVER.
    The fact it's there is what's wrong and if CyberPowerPC thinks that's a normal thing to do then it tells me ALL I need to know.

It's potentially dangerous and costly and from a company I expected to have more experience than this a mistake I should never hope to see again.

well, these are all good points and I checked out Costco's return policy. It seems pretty painless and I imagine I could get away from this pretty cleanly if I did it right away. However, I honestly have been really enjoying this computer ever since I got it. It is a very noticeable upgrade from my previous 5-year old system, and I think the PSU issue is something I can afford to fix. The power adapter is I believe for the LED lighting and I did not realize how harmful that was. Could I just disconnect it and resolve the issue that way if I wanted to keep the computer?

The reason I am talking about all this is that the Costco price really was very good for the specs, and I most likely would not be able to afford to buy a full-price system that I customize myself, if I were to return this one. I simply do not want to build my own computer and I do not know anybody who can do it for me (at least for free).

Side question, if I were to return this computer, what is the fastest way to do a system restore? Do I generate Windows 10 media on a USB stick or something?
    Last edited by spanishninja; 2017-01-02 at 03:40 AM.

well, these are all good points and I checked out Costco's return policy. It seems pretty painless and I imagine I could get away from this pretty cleanly if I did it right away. However, I honestly have been really enjoying this computer ever since I got it. It is a very noticeable upgrade from my 5-year old i5, and I think the PSU issue is something I can afford to fix. The power adapter I believe is for the LED lighting and I did not realize how harmful that was. Could I just disconnect it and resolve the issue that way if I wanted to keep the computer? The reason I am talking about it is that the costco price really was very good for the specs, and I most likely would not be able to afford to buy a full-price system that I customize myself. I simply do not want to build my own computer and I do not know anybody who can do it for me (at least for free).
    Check costco for current PC's with these specs:
    6700k CPU
    gtz 1070
    z170 motherboard
    name brand PSU

If you can return yours and get something that checks all the boxes above for 100 dollars or less MORE than what you paid for your system, you should do it in a heartbeat. You need to understand your PSU isnt the only issue with your PC, you have a 340 dollar processor that begs to be overclocked with a water cooling unit equipped to handle it, but your motherboard does not support overclocking. As a PC ages this is one of the things that can keep it relevant for longer.

15+ Year Old Account
    well, these are all good points and I checked out Costco's return policy. It seems pretty painless and I imagine I could get away from this pretty cleanly if I did it right away. However, I honestly have been really enjoying this computer ever since I got it. It is a very noticeable upgrade from my previous 5-year old system, and I think the PSU issue is something I can afford to fix. The power adapter is I believe for the LED lighting and I did not realize how harmful that was. Could I just disconnect it and resolve the issue that way if I wanted to keep the computer?

The reason I am talking about all this is that the Costco price really was very good for the specs, and I most likely would not be able to afford to buy a full-price system that I customize myself, if I were to return this one. I simply do not want to build my own computer and I do not know anybody who can do it for me (at least for free).

Side question, if I were to return this computer, what is the fastest way to do a system restore? Do I generate Windows 10 media on a USB stick or something?
    You can keep the PC no problem, I told you the PSU is shit and I recommend replacing it ASAP.
    The convertor is really any convertor, it won't cause issues.

Here's one: CLICK ME!

The power adapter needs to be gone from there entirely.
    Not disabled, removed.
    Just pull it off, remove any glue remains and if you want to continue using it that's fine just stick in the 2nd picture, bottom right.
    There's plenty of space there to place it and will not interfere with anything as there's 2 metal plates between it and the PSU.

As far as restoring goes, there's an option in Windows 10 (I do not know where exactly) which will let you restore Windows to as it when you first booted it up and it asked for your name etc.
    How to do so: Here's a video.

Check costco for current PC's with these specs:
    6700k CPU
    gtz 1070
    z170 motherboard
    name brand PSU

If you can return yours and get something that checks all the boxes above for 100 dollars or less MORE than what you paid for your system, you should do it in a heartbeat. You need to understand your PSU isnt the only issue with your PC, you have a 340 dollar processor that begs to be overclocked with a water cooling unit equipped to handle it, but your motherboard does not support overclocking. As a PC ages this is one of the things that can keep it relevant for longer.
    well regarding the motherboard, could I not just decide to upgrade that later on if I decide I need the performance boost? As I understand it the 6700k has a stock speed of 4.0ghz, so the way I saw it even without overclocking, the performance would already be better than a non-k 6700.

As for Costco's current offerings, the one that I bought is no longer available, and they have gone with a configurator through cyberpowerpc. And having just tried setting up a configuration with a z170, 6700k and a gtx 1070 with a better psu, is already running 400+ dollars more than what I paid. If I don't need to overclock right away, what do you think about just sticking with this one, throwing a new PSU on it, and calling it a day until I feel I need better CPU performance, and then just replacing the motherboard then?

Like i said its only worth it if you could have done it for around a 100 dollar premium, 400 is obviously absurd. Its just when spending this amount of money on something like this, its best to do it right the first time rather than having to update it later to get the most out of the parts you have.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Evildeffy View Post
    Why in the name of FUCK is there a power adapter, which holds a mini transformer, taped to the back of the CPU socket
    Where do you see this?

AMusingly, I looked up ATNG's website to see if I could find some info on their power supplies. I don't think they even know what they're making. Half the website is broken, and the other half says "Charles No Data"
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    Where do you see this?
    it's on the top right on the bottom photo. And as Evildeffy suggested, I just moved it away from the CPU.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    Where do you see this?
    His 2nd picture, top right.
    All power adapters of this type hold transformers, I know I made a crapton of them when I worked for Noratel.
    It's the black box literally stuck to the back of his CPU socket.

All power adapters of this type hold transformers, I know I made a crapton of them when I worked for Noratel.
    so question, now that the adapter is no longer there, given that I'm ok with not overclocking for now and do not want to spend 400 dollars more for a computer with a better motherboard, am I just a PSU replacement away from being ok for a while?

10+ Year Old Account
    Super confused then. Both images are broken. I figured they were for everyone >.>
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

I personally would still return it and shop around for something with a z170 board and better PSU. But yes if you plan on keeping the PC a PSU replacement is the first thing id do.

15+ Year Old Account
    so question, now that the adapter is no longer there, given that I'm ok with not overclocking for now and do not want to spend 400 dollars more for a computer with a better motherboard, am I just a PSU replacement away from being ok for a while?
    Yes, your PC's setup is still a mix-match of components which are a little bit weird for the kit you've got but you should be good with a PSU change.
    There's plenty of possible PSUs and they can be relatively cheap, just give us a budget and we'll find you the best we can for that price.

I know you can get one for 40 USD but see what you can shift about in the budget and you can get a better one than that, 1 thing you shouldn't skimp on is your PSU.
    If you could f.ex. increase to 60 USD or more it would be a lot better than 40 USD.