Page 25 of 44 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    I suspect the hate is coming from the person who paid for the very expensive cut of meat. As was mentioned early on, if you enjoy your steak well done, then you can pretty much get it anywhere and for cheap as there will be little to no difference in taste. So if someone is dropping big bucks on expensive meat, they might be a little miffed that they wasted their money. Granted, it's the money waster's fault for not checking before hand, but I can still understand why they wouldn't be upset at their bad decision.

I like my steaks "medium", but I still enjoy a little sauce on them - my unsophisticated palette just enjoys the flavor of the sauce, so it is what it is. Anyway, the reaction at the table when I asked for sauce for my very expensive steak was like I just told a mother that her baby was ugly. But it was similar to what folks are saying here, as the people at the table we advising me that I was ruining my steak.

Epic!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    We are talking about steaks here and what leaks out of them
    Correct. Which you have failed spectacularly and repeatedly to demonstrate is "blood" (because it isn't). There would be no need for us to dabble in discussions of protein chemistry if not for your stubborn insistence that we should change the definition of the word "blood" to support your otherwise false assertion.

Please. Stop doubling down on ignorance. These goal posts are going to break if you don't stop shifting them back and forth so much.

And eat your steak how you like. I won't hate you for it. But if you're coming over for dinner, and we're serving beef tenderloin, please let me know about your well-done preference in advance so that I can purchase you a less expensive (and fattier, so it'll taste better well done) cut of meat.
    Last edited by Kaeth; 2017-01-02 at 05:23 PM.

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    Yeah sorry, I meant it binds to oxygen in blood cells.
    For fuck's sake. NO.
    It's in the RED blood cells, not ANY blood cells. It binds with oxygen in the lungs (not in the blood cells and via process I am not going to cover here) and then as blood flows delivers said oxygen to wherever its needed replacing oxygen with the waste produced by an organ or muscle which is then again by the flow of the blood is taken to waste disposal parts of the body.
    Regardless, hemoglobin doesn't exclusively occur in blood cells and still isn't blood in and of itself and we're talking about myoglobin anyway, which sure as hell isn't blood in and of itself, no matter how much you want to keep making this dumb argument. Again, it's like saying carbon is blood.
    Not it is like saying that vodka = ethanol + water, and you argue that ethanol is not vodka by making a reductio ad absurdum counter-argument that then carbon is vodka as well.

STAHP DIS!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kaeth View Post
    Correct.
    Splendid...
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

Quote Originally Posted by OneWay View Post
    How can I ruin it if it tastes the best for me? When I eat food - I eat the food. When I eat, I am not going into % calculations how to eat it the best because that "best" can taste like shit as all I can care and I will not eat shit.
    It's a waste of your money. And I know, you may not care about money either, but still. You like well done meat ? Order a cut of meat that is ment to be well done. If you order prime rib for $40 and ask it to be well done, you just lost $20 in value, threw it out of the window, because what you will get will be indistinguishible from a much cheaper cut.

Do you come to sushi restaurant and ask for your tuna to be well done on your sushi ? Because you like it well done better ? Same situation. Some cuts of meat are not ment to be well done, are not catched/grown to be well done same way other cuts of meat are not ment to be medium rare.

Also as mentioned in the thread, if you order well done steak ... you will get the worst cuts of the meat available in the kitchen. And above that ... the kitchen won't bother to spend 40 minutes trying to keep your well done steak edible, they will cook it in 20, because they want you to finish eating and leave to sell the table to a new customer.

My part in this story has been decided. And I will play it well.

The myoglobine stuff tastes nothing like blood. It doesn't even congeal. Like, haven't you tried any decent blood sausage or black pudding?. The texture and flavor are worlds apart.

You are fucking tedious as hell to talk to. We were only talking about red blood cells in the first place. Why the fuck should I have to specify it each and every time?

1. We're talking about myoglobin.
    2. Even if we were talking about hemoglobin, you'd still be wrong.
    3. I don't really care what you do at this point, but you're wrong and this is a complete waste of my time. Have fun with your pitiful attempts at one upping people.
    I'm not sure what you're arguing about, but from what I could tell he's saying a rare steak is bloody and others are saying it's not. Seems people claiming it's not are the ones being more pedantic as it's colloquial to refer to rare steak as bloody. Yes, he's wrong in saying it's blood. You're wrong in claiming he's the one being pedantic.

Semantic arguments are often petty and pedantic, but in this case you're just obviously using the word incorrectly and the semantic distinction is quite meaningful.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudol Von Stroheim View Post
    I do not need to play the role of "holier than thou". I'm above that..

10+ Year Old Account
    You are fucking tedious as hell to talk to. We were only talking about red blood cells in the first place. Why the fuck should I have to specify it each and every time?
    No, when YOU first introduced blood cells here you were vague "blood cells" and you claimed hemoglobin binds with them.
    So please don't tell me that you meant red blood cells. I know you didn't because red blood cells are 96% hemoglobin (if we don't count water).

1. We're talking about myoglobin.
    Which you know nothing about it seems. drop the myo part and hemo part because they are irrelevant here. GLOBIN. that's the important PROTEIN GROUP here. The only difference between myo and hemo - is in their function, whereas hemo- transports oxygene (short term bind), myo- stores it in muscles (long term bind).
    2. Even if we were talking about hemoglobin, you'd still be wrong.
    Nope. Hemoglobin is the essence of blood. Myoglobin is the essence of muscle blood.
    3. I don't really care what you do at this point, but you're wrong and this is a complete waste of my time. Have fun with your pitiful attempts at one upping people.
    Talking about one upping people. You started this argument.
    And I don't even understand why did you have to make this argument in the first place.
    The core of a medium rare steak is bloody, bloody, bloody.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaeth
    Do any of you actually feel "hatred" toward people who like to eat tough, dry, gray meat?
    Not as such, there are even some things that I can accept being well done because that too is a style. In general, I consider it along the lines of the suburban sacrilege -- fancy booze mixed with cheap soda -- as long as I don't have to eat it, we're OK. Despite my best intentions though, I may wince in the presence of things like Diet Coke and Caol Ila, or a well done porterhouse being eaten with liberal doses of ketchup.
    Last edited by shadowmouse; 2017-01-02 at 05:52 PM. Reason: Typo. Insufficient beer.
    With COVID-19 making its impact on our lives, I have decided that I shall hang in there for my remaining days, skip some meals, try to get children to experiment with making henna patterns on their skin, and plant some trees. You know -- live, fast, dye young, and leave a pretty copse. I feel like I may not have that quite right.

Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    Because it defeats the purpose of eating a good steak.
    No it doesn't.

See what I did there? I had an opinion.

Rare and medium rare are fucking disgusting.

7+ Year Old Account
    All that moves is easily heard in the void.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitro Fun View Post
    I don't understand it. They're acting as if I've killed their family or something when I want my meat well done. Why is this?

I think it's far tastier to have it well done than if it it's medium like most people seem to want it.
    Well, I'm not sure why anyone would give you hate. Anyone who doesn't understand eating a steak at medium-rare should be pitied, not hated.

Ever watch a cooking show? Steak (and many other proteins) are always cooked at medium-rare. That is because this is the maximum flavor and best texture of the meat. It provides enough heat to safely cook away the bacteria out of the meat while preserving many of the important micro-nutrients (vitamins, minerals, amino acids).

In short, you aren't doing yourself any favors eating your meat well-done...and you are missing out on great flavor and nutrition as a result.

Quote Originally Posted by Repefe View Post
    If you compare taste of filet mignon with fatter steaks, the taste is much milder, exactly because there is almost no fat. That's why you often wrap it in bacon or pair it with strong sauces, to get the flavor going. It's also very easy to overcook because of the lack of fat. And when well done, it's even worse than the cheaper, fatter cuts of meat flavor wise despite its price.
    And sometimes it's not, because some people don't eat the meat for its fat and because mild flavors (in terms of steaks or in general) work better for them. Though without such preparation some good sides are required to support it. Which is why shimerra's dogshit about better cuts being fat is just that, dogshit. Hell, even if you wrap filet mignon in all the bacon in the world and throw in a bucket of lard for good measure it won't make what they said correct because a) in this case the fat (or other flavor in case of sauce) is external and as such hardly what makes this particular better cut better and b) even in terms of other cuts considered good, including the fatter ones, there is more variables included in what makes them good than the mere presence of far.

So yes, the cut is expensive ... but the meat itself is mostly just a vesel with great texture. To get a juicy tasty steak, filet mignon is not the best choice, unless you let it swim in butter and add extensive seasoning.
    Juicy? Sure. Tastier? If you like the taste of the meat itself without depending on the combination of the taste of meat and its fat, it's not wrong. Lean steaks are just fine taste-wise for some people (doneness aside).
    Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    Does the CIA pay you for your bullshit or are you just bootlicking in your free time?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    I'm quite tired of people who dislike something/disagree with something while attacking/insulting anyone that disagrees. Its as if at some point, people forgot how opinions work.

Quote Originally Posted by bungeebungee View Post
    I've been known to skip a step, the one involving heat -- steak tartare is a favorite of mine, as is the Korean yukhoe.

I'm also quite fond of Schwarzwälder Schinken (the real stuff, not American Black Forest ham) and other uncooked hams.
    Yes, those are quite tasty.

yes, it was covered ad nauseum by ME explaining to uneducated wikipedia gurus that it is muscle blood (the blood in the muscles that makes them work) or blood for shorts.

I provided specific scenario in which you have to choose. Which part would you choose if you HAD TO CHOOSE?

Simple question. Makes perfect sense as both parts are MEAT. Unlike your "cake and frosting" sorry ass excuse of an analogy.
    I like a good ribeye. I'm not a huge fan of filet due to the low fat content. Though u would never say no to one if I was given 1. I simply find ribeye to be a perfect price to performance combo :P.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaeth View Post
    Curious question for the red meat connoisseurs of the thread:

Do any of you actually feel "hatred" toward people who like to eat tough, dry, gray meat?

For me, the feeling is better described as "pity."
    I feel pity for people who think "well done" means "though, dry, gray", because obviously they never had anything "well done" before.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ragedaug View Post
    I suspect the hate is coming from the person who paid for the very expensive cut of meat.
    ...and then didn't have any money left to pay for a decent cook.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Noradin View Post
    I feel pity for people who think "well done" means "though, dry, gray", because obviously they never had anything "well done" before.
    The irony is of course in the fact that people who eat it medium-perfect - do actually eat the well done part too and somehow it's not leathery.

I just enjoy that this is an issue that transcends party lines and Republicans and Democrats can join hands to collectively ridicule the poor bastards and their shoe leather that they insist is "just as good" as something properly cooked.
    I thought people were supposed to try understand other people's points of view and assume they have a legitimate point of view that deserves respect instead of rushing to ridicule them?
    Last edited by Mehrunes; 2017-01-02 at 06:40 PM.
    Does the CIA pay you for your bullshit or are you just bootlicking in your free time?
    I'm quite tired of people who dislike something/disagree with something while attacking/insulting anyone that disagrees. Its as if at some point, people forgot how opinions work.

Also as mentioned in the thread, if you order well done steak ... you will get the worst cuts of the meat available in the kitchen. And above that ... the kitchen won't bother to spend 40 minutes trying to keep your well done steak edible, they will cook it in 20, because they want you to finish eating and leave to sell the table to a new customer.
    I agree that they likely will not spend the time and efford on the steak that they should, but if they want you to finish eating and leave to sell the table to the next customer, then what are you doing there spending the money for a decent cut? No self respecting restaurant that takes $40 a dish would dare to sell a table more than twice an evening. For that price range I certainly expect to have the table for the whole evening if I want, but then do not expect the cook to prepare my meal for free in hopes of getting a tip.

Not it is like saying that vodka = ethanol + water, and you argue that ethanol is not vodka by making a reductio ad absurdum counter-argument that then carbon is vodka as well.

STAHP DIS!
    It's all fine and dandy, but in this case myoglobin would be methanol (it does have less heme groups like methanol has less carbon and hydrogen, so the analogy is more than fitting). And methanol, mixed with water or otherwise, sure as hell isn't vodka, even though some crazy people attempt to drink it.

10+ Year Old Account
    As long as we're not sharing a meal, eat whatever the hell you want.
    We're a band of vicious pirates,
    we depend on RNG.
    If I only get one buff,
    then bury me at sea

Quote Originally Posted by unbound View Post
    Well, I'm not sure why anyone would give you hate. Anyone who doesn't understand eating a steak at medium-rare should be pitied, not hated.

Ever watch a cooking show? Steak (and many other proteins) are always cooked at medium-rare. That is because this is the maximum flavor and best texture of the meat. It provides enough heat to safely cook away the bacteria out of the meat while preserving many of the important micro-nutrients (vitamins, minerals, amino acids).
    You mean like Master Chef? Welp.