Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Eleccybubb View Post
    Lotro is going into maintenance mode or I think it is now. So it didn't.

http://massivelyop.com/2016/07/07/ru...s-for-turbine/

If they are shifting to a mobile dev studio then expect DDO and LOTRO to lose a lot of support.
    Regardless, when lotro went F2P it became massively popular and blew subscriber projections out to wazoo. f2p saved lotro when it went live and was one of the first to show a widely successful model.

Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    OMG I stated a opinion someone call the police. Yes I do feel in order for WoW to progress raids need to take a backseat or die. That isn't me requesting for WoW to do it, just that I think WoW would be better off with small group content. Raiding has taken a backseat in Legion and I feel WoW is better for it. There is more small group content and world content to do and raiding isn't the only endgame anymore.

So no I didn't lie about anything.

So now provide a source where I said I would quit over Daze.
    You literally just lied. You just stated that you never said raiding should be removed, and then I posted a thread you started saying LITERALLY JUST THAT. There is no crazy ambiguous meaning there. I'm not tricking you, or being dishonest. You literally said raiding should be removed from the game and didn't even mention any good reason why, just that you want it to die.

Which goes back to my main point in this thread, that its pretty disingenuous for someone like you to come in here telling people you love the game yet want massive sections of it removed for no reason. You have made many a post complaining about Blizzard, the devs, the playerbase, core aspects of the game, complaining about having to pay the sub, etc. That doesn't sound like you love or even enjoy the game. Thats why my comparison to a couple that always breaks up is so good, because it describes you so well. Its fine if you tell your girlfriend you don't like it when she gets drunk so often, but what people like you do goes far far beyond a simple constructive criticism. You want to change your girlfriends hair, want her to get a boob job, want her to dress different, act different, read different books. And the way you make this known is by constantly whining and stomping your feet and threatening to break up.

Logically, you can;t love this game and post the way you do about it. It just doesn't make any sense. It also cracks me up when you throw out random statistics and refuse to ever back that up. 1-2 pages ago you said that if all the "casuals" left (whatever that means) that there would only be 10% of the population left. Where did you get this number?

Quote Originally Posted by Erous View Post
    Regardless, when lotro went F2P it became massively popular and blew subscriber projections out to wazoo. f2p saved lotro when it went live and was one of the first to show a widely successful model.
    DDO was the first, I believe, and LOTRO followed soon after. The revenue increase for the DDO F2P transition was massive, as I recall.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

When a game go free to play. It dies. Simple as that. You get all the unwanted scum of the earth that polute the toxic community even more.

Quote Originally Posted by kary View Post
    Get a job.
    It really isn't as simple as that though. My first reaction to this was, "Nah, I don't like this". Then I thought about it more. You're still buying the base game for $5-$20 and you're still paying $40 for the latest expac, so that alone will prevent a lot of the issues other F2P games have. This would certainly increase the player base. I know several people who let their subs lapse not because they couldn't afford it, but because with the extremely limited amount of time they have, it isn't worth $15 a month to them.

Now, that person who has let their sub lapse is going to play something entirely different in their limited game time, fall further and further behind in WoW, talk to their friends/guild in WoW less and less, and become less likely to ever come back to WoW.

Letting them log on to run a random heroic, do WQ, or LFR with friends is a good way to keep them engaged, which is a good way to ensure they become a paying customer again.

Maybe they could impose multiple limits. Like You're only allowed to do up to Heroic Dungeon and LFR difficulty *and* you have to queue with someone who has a paid sub. Lock them out of instances that they out level altogether so they can't be used just to farm gold.

It would also give people a chance to try the game without as big a financial commitment. I'm willing to gift a good friend a $40 game so I can play with them, but they may not be too keen on paying $15 a month before they've been able to play it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lemonpartyfan View Post
    --snip--
    So no proof I said I would quit over daze.....

1-2 pages ago you said that if all the "casuals" left (whatever that means) that there would only be 10% of the population left. Where did you get this number?
    The fact that blizzard has even stated that a small percent of the player base does Mythic Raiding. He wants everyone but that group to go and that wouldn't be enough to keep WoW content at the quality it is.

Hell LFR (as admitted by blizzard) is needed to justfiy raiding getting the development it does. By all means ignore fact and make up what words mean if u want.

I live in reality not the made up world you live in.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by glowpipe View Post
    When a game go free to play. It dies. Simple as that. You get all the unwanted scum of the earth that polute the toxic community even more.
    First off barely any MMO's have shutdown ever even more so mainstream ones.

Everquest 1&2, Rift,SWTOR and many more have and are still around. Also a paywall has never stopped a community from being toxic. WoW's community is a perfect example of that.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

Quote Originally Posted by PraisCthulhu View Post
    It really isn't as simple as that though. My first reaction to this was, "Nah, I don't like this". Then I thought about it more. You're still buying the base game for $5-$20 and you're still paying $40 for the latest expac, so that alone will prevent a lot of the issues other F2P games have. This would certainly increase the player base. I know several people who let their subs lapse not because they couldn't afford it, but because with the extremely limited amount of time they have, it isn't worth $15 a month to them.

Now, that person who has let their sub lapse is going to play something entirely different in their limited game time, fall further and further behind in WoW, talk to their friends/guild in WoW less and less, and become less likely to ever come back to WoW.

Letting them log on to run a random heroic, do WQ, or LFR with friends is a good way to keep them engaged, which is a good way to ensure they become a paying customer again.

Maybe they could impose multiple limits. Like You're only allowed to do up to Heroic Dungeon and LFR difficulty *and* you have to queue with someone who has a paid sub. Lock them out of instances that they out level altogether so they can't be used just to farm gold.

It would also give people a chance to try the game without as big a financial commitment. I'm willing to gift a good friend a $40 game so I can play with them, but they may not be too keen on paying $15 a month before they've been able to play it.
    That's why the game comes with a 100 char boost now. So you can get right into the relevant content.
    And, blizzard frequently mails inactive accounts trial weeks, they been doing that since TBC.
    For a B2P max level WoW, I would personally restrict it to heroic dungeons, no chance at titanforges, and a strict gold cap of 5k gold with no trading. Otherwise people would exploit the shit out of that. I personally think the current system is good, and that F2P wow should never be a thing past level 40 (token system is still subscription based. Someone pays for the tokens used no matter what, it may not come out of pocket for you but they don't lose a monthly sub fee)

- - - Updated - - -

So no proof I said I would quit over daze.....

The fact that blizzard has even stated that a small percent of the player base does Mythic Raiding. He wants everyone but that group to go and that wouldn't be enough to keep WoW content at the quality it is.

Hell LFR (as admitted by blizzard) is needed to justfiy raiding getting the development it does. By all means ignore fact and make up what words mean if u want.

I live in reality not the made up world you live in.

- - - Updated - - -

First off barely any MMO's have shutdown ever even more so mainstream ones.

Everquest 1&2, Rift,SWTOR and many more have and are still around. Also a paywall has never stopped a community from being toxic. WoW's community is a perfect example of that.
    Wow community is mainly toxic to know-nothing lowest common denominator loudmouth shitters like you.

[Infracted]
    Last edited by Radux; 2017-01-02 at 04:58 PM.

Deleted
    I would love to see a f2p wow up to endgame level.

But i also would love to see WoW have a lot of solo player content.

At the end i am probably not the typical guy to play a MMORPG.

Quote Originally Posted by Haidaes View Post
    Blizzard is already tripple dipping. There is no reason what so ever to actually let go of one of these money streams at this point in time.
    I think many are unaware that WoW has been doing very well despite such heavy losses of subs. Blizzard had successful offset sub losses with services and shop cosmetic items before tokens was introduced. Now Blizzard is making even more money from subs with the token markup.

I do wonder who is it that is buying tokens and what that gold gets spend on. Gold is not hard to get to even after the loss of garrisons which rained gold. I wonder how much BMAH is driving demand.

More in context LFR is used to justify the additional resources that go into raiding that they had not had before. Raids would continue to have justified their large chunk of resources without LFR. There just would not have been 16 boss raid tiers in MoP. There would of been more resources dedicated to non-raid content.

Personally raids needs their budget cut back down to pre-LFR levels. Not everyone wants to raid as their endgame while at the same time raiding should remain as taking gameplay away from others is bad.
    Last edited by Greenmagoo; 2017-01-02 at 08:46 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Holofernes View Post
    Now imagine i would become desperate for gold, and start to farm herbs. 1 hour herbfarming = 17-20 k gold. so basically wow subscription is earned by farming 5 hours / month.
    Uhuh.

So you work 5 h for 13 €. That's a whopping income of 2.6 € per hour.
    *chuckles*

Minimum wage is 8,5 €.

10+ Year Old Account
    50 cents a day isn't too bad a price

Deleted
    Just my 2 cents, but I agree with op.

I could easily afford it, but that's not how it works. Many things cost 10-20 bucks a month, and they sort of add up. In the end, when you have like 500$/€ a month recurring stuff you want to sort out what is worth it, and what isn't. If you still live with your parents, it's clear you don't get that, but joke's on you.

I took a pause from subscribing for almost 10 years straight when WoD came out. With Legion I could have joined a colleague's raid group because they needed healers. When I realized that for the 35 quid the expansion costs you don't even get a free month, I felt 50 was a little expensive just in order to try out for 1-2 months whether or not playing WoW is working out with my schedule.

So in the end I did not resub - pity, but maybe they just don't have it necessary yet.
    Last edited by mmoc1848483d5d; 2017-01-02 at 09:15 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Binki View Post
    There is a massive downside of f2p games - lack of moderation. People don't care about their accounts because they'd just get a new one, so banning f2p players is pointless. That results in players caring even less about their behavior than they do in WoW, which results in skyhigh levels of toxicity.

Not that Blizzard moderates WoW anymore, because they barely do. Everything has been replaced by automated systems that don't work. However at least subscription and occasional bans keeps the most toxic people out. f2p would make game even more toxic.
    Exactly...which will not only make the douche population rise...you will start seeing hackers running around and ruining things for people.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by -Zait- View Post
    50 cents a day isn't too bad a price
    Topic?

It's only 50c a day if you play every day. OP explicitly said he doesn't.

If these people are filthy casuals for you, fair point.

Exactly...which will not only make the douche population rise...you will start seeing hackers running around and ruining things for people.
    That, on the other hand, is a valid point.
    Last edited by mmoc1848483d5d; 2017-01-02 at 09:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Excellion View Post
    So much this! I've played some FTP games, and the amount of hackers, gold sellers, etc. made it a miserable experience. Not only that, but FTP games often leave you having to purchase extra storage space, extra character slots, etc. It's not as free as people might think it is.

$15 a month just isn't that much for hours of entertainment, and if you're not entertained, then why play at all?

OP commented on being a semi-hardcore raider who wants to turn to just LFR and not have to pay for the game anymore in order to see the story.

For Azeroth!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Don't think F2P is an answer.

Much rather see them lower prices on services & merge many more servers, and remove the automatic CRZ to non-connected realms once enough realms are merged.

op has troubles getting the 13 euro together... so i told him he only has to play the game 5 hours a month to afford the subscription. in no way i compared it to actual job, because nobody with a sane mind would ever do so.

The F2P casuals can hang out in the starting zones and kill boars. It's loads of fun.
    Me thinks Chromie has a whole lot of splaining to do!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Holofernes View Post
    op has troubles getting the 13 euro together... so i told him he only has to play the game 5 hours a month to afford the subscription. in no way i compared it to actual job, because nobody with a sane mind would ever do so.
    Why not?
    Farming essentially is working. Esp if you only do it to sustain your sub.
    I just don't see the point of wasting my scarce and valuable time on sth like that.

Sure if the OP is jobless or a child that has no clue what to do with it's free time I can see your point.
    Everyone else is better off just paying the sub.

Unless ofc you are one of them weird people that actually enjoy farming. Carry on then. ^^