Quote Originally Posted by Eleccybubb View Post
    And how do you know Wildstar was the last MMO to aim it's content at a niche/hardcore playerbase? If anything Black Desert did that and it came after Wildstar. Both in Korea and internationally.

So again you can happily want Wildstar to die because you don't want a specific playerbase playing it. Just remember that is an opinion of ignorance to do so. Just like the FF14 devs say they would rather kill their game than have it go Free to Play as an example.
    Ignore it, it's the same trolling here as it is on the official forums.. it's pathetic

Deleted
    BDO is a P2W typical eastern grind feast ( better insert my opinion )...are we getting so low now we count those ? if so I'm sure 200 or more of that type have been made since your post

Syndrome:*And when everyone's super, (Evil Laugh) no-one will be.

Quote Originally Posted by ministabber View Post
    BDO is a P2W typical eastern grind feast ( better insert my opinion )...are we getting so low now we count those ? if so I'm sure 200 or more of that type have been made since your post

And? It still came after Wildstar. To claim Wildstar was the last isn't true at all.

And if you want another MMO that takes goddamn effort. Runescape. Getting every skill to 99 took a lot of effort. Especially with how mundane some were.
    Last edited by Eleccybubb; 2017-01-03 at 11:49 AM.

Deleted
    And? It still came after Wildstar. To claim Wildstar was the last isn't true at all.

And if you want another MMO that takes goddamn effort. Runescape. Getting every skill to 99 took a lot of effort. Especially with how mundane some were.
    Are you sure ? I'm seeing April 2014, and June 2014 for Wildstar!

Once again your getting confused with the words skill and grind

Are you sure ? I'm seeing April 2014, and June 2014 for Wildstar!

Once again your getting confused with the words skill and grind
    It launched in Korea in July 2014. Wildstar launched June 2014. April 2014 was the CBT.

http://massivelyop.com/2015/06/10/bl...ea-on-july-14/

Also grinding can equate to skill/effort depending on how it is approached. So no I'm not getting confused. I remember levelling a few things to 99 in RS took quite a lot of skill as well as time. I remember getting my Godsword initially and that was a pain in the ass to do.
    Last edited by Eleccybubb; 2017-01-03 at 12:04 PM.

Deleted
    All this is dragging on now, your just bringing things into the conversation to imply my post said anything other than the actual words in the post, and to make false claims about the post. Your wrong...just admit it...go on....dare you.

All this is dragging on now, your just bringing things into the conversation to imply my post said anything other than the actual words in the post, and to make false claims about the post. Your wrong...just admit it...go on....dare you.

Are you really trying to take a moral high ground here? Oh my god the irony.

You said a game was the most recent MMO to aim at a skilled/niche playerbase. I linked you evidence that you were wrong since BDO launched after. Again you are just doing attempting to deflect it now because you were proved right. Just like the whole debacle earlier about NCsoft and Carbine when you suddenly did a U-turn after being linked sources that NCsoft were not the bad guys in the development process.

So again feel free to have the opinion of "game should die rather than appeal to more players". It's an opinion based on arrogance. There is a reason the more popular MMOs are popular. Because they have content for every type of player.

@Coldkill actually hit some pretty good points with scaling of content among other things. The game is mostly about execution so it would work perfectly. And as I said Wildstar would do well to advertise casual content because it really needs an influx of new and fresh players right now.
    Last edited by Eleccybubb; 2017-01-03 at 12:20 PM.

This is amazing tbh.. the level of stupidity here, it's mindboggling how selfrighteous some people are.

Deleted
    What the hell does that have to do with your claim that other MMOs don't have content aimed at hardcore players? There are plenty of MMOs that do. The difference between them and Wildstar is they have content aimed at every type of player. Wildstar aims it's content at a specific audience which again it suffered for.

If it shut down now because of it's refusal to market to a wider audience then it would be remembered as an MMO ran by arrogant developers who could have chosen to save it and instead didn't.
    I mean... I d rather see FFXIV shut down than see a p2w cash shop fuckfest

Quote Originally Posted by sahlamuhla View Post
    I mean... I d rather see FFXIV shut down than see a p2w cash shop fuckfest
    It was just a comparison is all. I don't think it would do that personally but my point is Mini said "I would rather see Wildstar shut down" because they don't want to see it appeal to a larger playerbase and potentially draw more players in is a very arrogant attitude to take wouldn't you agree?
    Last edited by Eleccybubb; 2017-01-03 at 01:36 PM.

Jesus, the things I miss when I go offline for the night.
    I miss all the fun arguments

Not that there is anything fun here right now, Mini was wrong and blind to say Wildstar was the last skilled mmorpg (I know high end BnS content took some skill and Heart of Thorns raids were certainly challenging) But it was straight silly to say she would rather the game shutdown then appeal to casuals, which it already has by now. With Contracts, World bosses, Arcterra, other daily zones, world story, Expeditions. There is a ton of casual content now, so should the game have just shut down instead, no.

Many of us never came to Wildstar for "HARDCOORE" content, hell, I was content pre launch never even stepping into veteran content because it was foretold they would be the hardest thing in the universe, I never came for Dark souls mmorpg, I came for the interesting world, the fun story, the great stylized visuals, and the ridiculously fun gameplay,
    World of Warcraft: Shadowblands
    Diablo Bore.

Uhm Everquest, WoW, FF14, Guild Wars 2. They all have content aimed at every type of player. From casual to hardcore. Wildstar however aims it's content at a niche playerbase and suffered for it. And that is the reason other MMOs do so well. Not only do they aim their content at a casual playerbase but they also have content to appeal to a more hardcore playerbase.
    While I agree with your comment about the casual playerbase, has it really been shown that also trying to appeal to the hardcores is a net benefit? Maybe an MMO that was just casual would do even better.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    While I agree with your comment about the casual playerbase, has it really been shown that also trying to appeal to the hardcores is a net benefit? Maybe an MMO that was just casual would do even better.
    MMOs imo should be trying to appeal to every type of player not just 1. That is why WoW, FF14 and Guild Wars 2 do well.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ryanmahaffe View Post
    Jesus, the things I miss when I go offline for the night.
    I miss all the fun arguments

Not that there is anything fun here right now, Mini was wrong and blind to say Wildstar was the last skilled mmorpg (I know high end BnS content took some skill and Heart of Thorns raids were certainly challenging) But it was straight silly to say she would rather the game shutdown then appeal to casuals, which it already has by now. With Contracts, World bosses, Arcterra, other daily zones, world story, Expeditions. There is a ton of casual content now, so should the game have just shut down instead, no.

Many of us never came to Wildstar for "HARDCOORE" content, hell, I was content pre launch never even stepping into veteran content because it was foretold they would be the hardest thing in the universe, I never came for Dark souls mmorpg, I came for the interesting world, the fun story, the great stylized visuals, and the ridiculously fun gameplay,
    And a lot of that content is ridiculously easy. What's wrong with introducing LFR or easier 10 man raids?

MMOs imo should be trying to appeal to every type of player not just 1. That is why WoW, FF14 and Guild Wars 2 do well.
    Well, that's a nice slogan, but has it actually been demonstrated to be correct? It could be that trying to cater to the hardcore would make the game less attractive to the non-hardcore (for example, by constantly reminding the casuals that they are bad players compared to the elite), for a net loss in customer interest.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler

Well, that's a nice slogan, but has it actually been demonstrated to be correct? It could be that trying to cater to the hardcore would make the game less attractive to the non-hardcore (for example, by constantly reminding the casuals that they are bad players compared to the elite), for a net loss in customer interest.
    Well look at WoW. Masses of content for everyone and has been the most subbed to MMO for years. I don't think catering a game to one audience would full on make it less attractive to the other but it would have some effect.

The problem with Wildstar is it really needs to do good this year. It needs to be pumping out content for everyone and tbh like I said it would do well by making smaller raids for a more casual audience imo.

How would one prove that other than the fact that the most notable MMOs right now (which Eleccy continues to list for you yet you seem to ignore) tend to include higher difficulty content?

Do you mean to imply that these games would do even better if they cut out the difficult content? Can YOU prove that?

Quote Originally Posted by unholytestament View Post
    How would one prove that other than the fact that the most notable MMOs right now (which Eleccy continues to list for you yet you seem to ignore) tend to include higher difficulty content?

Do you mean to imply that these games would do even better if they cut out the difficult content? Can YOU prove that?
    I can't prove it, but then I wasn't making the assertion that would require such proof.

If someone says "X is true!" one can ask "how do you know?" without being required to prove "X is false!" The burden of proof is on the one making a claim, not the one questioning the claim.

And a lot of that content is ridiculously easy. What's wrong with introducing LFR or easier 10 man raids?
    Well, idk about lfr, I do think flexible raids are a current WIP though.

I had my own idea a while back, back when WS was still making several million a month...so a long time ago.

it was a little content thought I had called Incursions, they were to be 10 man, 1-3 boss instances with reused models, and assets but with interesting telegraph patterns, they were meant to be like this games alternative to LFR, obviously Carbine didn't agree, though these days I can understand even with reusing a lot, it would be to much work to interfere with whatever they are/were working on (will find out tomorrow!)
    World of Warcraft: Shadowblands
    Diablo Bore.

I can't prove it, but then I wasn't making the assertion that would require such proof.

If someone says "X is true!" one can ask "how do you know?" without being required to prove "X is false!" The burden of proof is on the one making a claim, not the one questioning the claim.
    Except you weren't questioning the claim, only part of it. And you were ignoring the games he was using as examples repeatedly.

But you'll note the first question I asked of you was how one would prove the point you keep questioning. Eleccy has already backed up his point. What more is needed?

Quote Originally Posted by unholytestament View Post
    Except you weren't questioning the claim, only part of it. And you were ignoring the games he was using as examples repeatedly.
    Yes, I was. I was presenting a hypothetical situation that would contradict his claim. This is questioning, as he had not shown that hypothetical situation would not obtain. I am not required to prove the hypothetical situation is true.

But you'll note the first question I asked of you was how one would prove the point you keep questioning. Eleccy has already backed up his point. What more is needed?
    He showed that there are successful games that were both casual and hardcore. He did NOT show that the hardcore part was necessary to their success. To do that, he would have to show games that tried the all-casual approach and were less successful for that reason. Have there been such MMOs? We have all-hardcore games that didn't do well (and where the impaired performance can be reasonably attributed to doing that), but where's the evidence on the other side of the curve?