Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account
    I'm kinda not following?
    We already were aware of what Intel's Kaby Lake would be, Intel couldn't not change it's architecture even if they wanted to as a response to Ryzen.

Altering/Developing a met uArch takes a lot of time and proto-typing.
    The only thing that's open is the same thing it's always been and that's Ryzen's true potential.

The 8C/16T CPU is very likely, with the information we know from their presentation, going to compete with the Broadwell-E/Skylake-E series.
    With it's limits being clock-speed related due to an 8C/16T CPU being far more complex than a 4C/8T CPU.

The big question for consumers will be the advent of SR3 (4C/8T) and SR5 (6C/12T) and it's performance potential and pricing.
    Remember ... AMD doesn't have to beat Intel clock-for-clock to be successful, they just have to be close for a better price.

That doesn't make Kaby Lake any less potent though but 1 thing though... good Lord those temps on the 7700K...
    It is no longer bad luck samples that we've seen.. those temps are seriously out of control when you have to basically buy the best air/AIO cooler to not have it be hot enough to fry food for you.

Clockspeed usually doesn't relate to performance on a 1 to 1 scale, however, AMD stated that they focus mainly on single core performance this time rather than core count, if so, I'm ready to go back Red.

Seriously, I'm sick of Intel and Nvidia increasing their flagship prices every year, some competition is really needed in this market.
    Last edited by HumbleDuck; 2017-01-03 at 11:37 PM. Reason: Typo

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dumbleduck View Post
    Clockspeed really doesn't relate to performance on a 1 to 1 scale, however, AMD stated that they focus mainly on single core performance this time rather than core count, if so, I'm ready to go back Red.

Seriously, I'm sick of Intel and Nvidia increasing their flagship prices every year, some competition is really needed in this market.
    Normally it doesn't scale 1-on-1 no but as we've seen from the presentation and the information we have we can actually apply a frequency comparison between the 2 here as this is the closest they've been in years to each other in regards to clock-for-clock performance.

So in this case, so far with the limited information we have, it is actually a matter of how high AMD can push their SR3/SR5/SR7 chips in frequency.

Quote Originally Posted by Evildeffy View Post
    buy the best air/AIO cooler to not have it be hot enough to fry food for you.
    This is basically what most reviewers have said.

Also unless Tom's got really unlucky with their samples, the silicon lottery is greater than ever with their samples showing some alarming inconsistency.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mrgreenthump View Post
    This is basically what most reviewers have said.

Also unless Tom's got really unlucky with their samples, the silicon lottery is greater than ever with their samples showing some alarming inconsistency.
    Yeah the dangerous point here is that coolers like the Hyper 212 or f.ex. Cryorig H5 coolers (starter to mid-range) will simply not be able to keep it cool enough anymore.
    Which to me is very precarious as I build with a large range of these cooler types for anyone that wants one.
    They aren't expecting to all of a sudden have to drop down another € 50,- just for cooling that CPU.
    Where with a Skylake 6700K you can do that and not worry vs. Kaby Lake 7700K and pray you don't have a spaceheater running continuously.

This is honestly quite worrisome.

Normally it doesn't scale 1-on-1 no but as we've seen from the presentation and the information we have we can actually apply a frequency comparison between the 2 here as this is the closest they've been in years to each other in regards to clock-for-clock performance.

So in this case, so far with the limited information we have, it is actually a matter of how high AMD can push their SR3/SR5/SR7 chips in frequency.
    Yes, you are right, I meant to write -usually- and not "really"
    Hope they come up with something good.

Yeah the dangerous point here is that coolers like the Hyper 212 or f.ex. Cryorig H5 coolers (starter to mid-range) will simply not be able to keep it cool enough anymore.
    Which to me is very precarious as I build with a large range of these cooler types for anyone that wants one.
    They aren't expecting to all of a sudden have to drop down another € 50,- just for cooling that CPU.
    Where with a Skylake 6700K you can do that and not worry vs. Kaby Lake 7700K and pray you don't have a spaceheater running continuously.

This is honestly quite worrisome.
    Undervolting does make it perform way better thermally, but how many really know how to underclock their CPU's.. At least from those who buy a 7700K.

15+ Year Old Account
    Undervolting does make it perform way better thermally, but how many really know how to underclock their CPU's.. At least from those who buy a 7700K.
    There are 2 kinds of people who buy these chips:
    1: People who want max performance at stock and don't know how to mess with things but also not spend € 100,- or more on cooling
    2: People who want to OC the living daylights out of it.

Either of these 2 people will not undervolt it.

I'm hoping this is just some sort of production error run with the IHS and TIM because at this rate I'd just recommend a Z270 board with 6700K really instead of 7700K.
    This is a rather large and debilitating issue when you buy a Hyper 212/Cryorig H7 you can expect temps under full load at stock settings @ low 70s, that's fine.
    But instantly seeing that shoot up to mid-80s and low 90s just because you got an average chip... that's simply put not really acceptable.

I'm pretty sure if you were to try and run a Prime95 torture test with AVX extensions enabled in Prime95 that would go 100°C+ no problem.
    Which is even worse and wholly unacceptable really.

So far the i5-7600K however seems to be doing OK with the same settings and temperatures.
    There is of course a normal discrepancy between the i7-7700K and i5-7600K due to HyperThreading and higher clock speeds but not to this extent.
    There either is something wrong with the production of these things in the factory when IHS/TIM are applied or the i7 is just that radically inefficient.

I'm hoping it's the prior and not the latter.

10+ Year Old Account
    What's its IPC? Clock speed means jack shit without knowing the rest.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post
    What's its IPC? Clock speed means jack shit without knowing the rest.
    Both have been answered in this thread several times, including the question you're asking right now on this very page just a few posts up.

No offence but it is really annoying to repeat oneself when the answer is really just a few scrolls up from the question asked.

I'm hoping this is just some sort of production error run with the IHS and TIM because at this rate I'd just recommend a Z270 board with 6700K really instead of 7700K.
    I don't remember where I read it(may be a rumor), but apparently there is a Kaby Lake refresh coming. So they must have noticed their shortcomings, but pushed the product out regardless, essentially recreating the 4770k situation.

15+ Year Old Account
    I don't remember where I read it(may be a rumor), but apparently there is a Kaby Lake refresh coming. So they must have noticed their shortcomings, but pushed the product out regardless, essentially recreating the 4770k situation.
    Yeah the current information is Q3 2017 ... if they bother with it at all.

That doesn't help the current situation, which is a seriously shit situation to be honest.
    The 4770K was indeed a hothead, much like the Prescott P4s before it but the fact that Kaby Lake has it is retarded as fuck as it's just a refinement process and not a new architecture.
    Regardless I'll build with the CPU should my friends/clients ask for it but you can be sure as hell that there will be a minimum 240/280mm AIO or Cryorig R1 Ultimate/Be Quiet Dark Rock 3 Pro/Noctua NH-D15 attached to it without so much as a question and be informed to expect higher temps.
    Because even heavy duty coolers are having hassles with it at stock speeds.

If a regular £300 i7 doesn't give any worthwhile extra gaming performance over a £200 i5, why would a $1000 8C/16T Ryzen?

AMD don't seem to understand that Intel are marching all over them in the affordable performance market. They have noting to rival even an i3 right now, how does trying to compete with Intel's stupidly expensive Extreme series help that?

Ive watched a few 7700k videos and it seems the average OC will be 4.8ghz with 4.9 and 5.0 possible if you get a bit lucky. That is kinda meh when you consider these things ship with a 4.5ghz turbo (that is impressive in itself tbh).

Smart play would be to stick to 4.8 with volts in the 1.2-1.3 range, then you wouldnt have to worry about temps with a mid range cooler.

Quote Originally Posted by Fascinate View Post
    Ive watched a few 7700k videos and it seems the average OC will be 4.8ghz with 4.9 and 5.0 possible if you get a bit lucky. That is kinda meh when you consider these things ship with a 4.5ghz turbo (that is impressive in itself tbh).

Smart play would be to stick to 4.8 with volts in the 1.2-1.3 range, then you wouldnt have to worry about temps with a mid range cooler.
    Yeah it seems like temps and power draw explode when you go above 1300 mV on Kabylake.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackmist View Post
    If a regular £300 i7 doesn't give any worthwhile extra gaming performance over a £200 i5, why would a $1000 8C/16T Ryzen?

AMD don't seem to understand that Intel are marching all over them in the affordable performance market. They have noting to rival even an i3 right now, how does trying to compete with Intel's stupidly expensive Extreme series help that?
    Because it trickles down from the top.

The current pricing strategies (rumours, let me say that upfront) are as follows:

AMD SR3 = 4C/8T = Priced comparably to i3 standards.
    AMD SR5 = 6C/12T = Priced comparably to i5 standards.
    AMD SR7 = 8C/16T = Priced comparably to consumer i7 standards.

See where this is going?

The clocks are still speculation but let's say that the highest SR3 will be like Skylake's 4,0GHz with boost to 4,2GHz (entirely in the realm of possibility, less complex design allows for higher speeds) but is priced at let's say the 170USD that the i3-7350K will cost. (the price has been announced for this! source available upon request)

With the known information (yes yes still speculation) of Ryzen's architecture and capabilities this will hurt Intel incredibly.

It's true the CPUs aren't out yet but anyone that is informed will wait to make a decision unless they have no more options to wait.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackmist View Post
    why would a $1000 8C/16T Ryzen?
    ??

Them comparing it to a 6900K, does not equal it costing the same.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fascinate View Post

Even with those lower settings (if you check out a lot of videos/reviews) you'd see that mid-range coolers are still unsuited for this as you'd be mid-90s.
    That's pushing your luck.

Quote Originally Posted by vecnuh View Post
    Yes, while this is not an architecture designed for maximum GHz like current FX CPUs and 5Ghz may not be the best performance say compared to 4.4Ghz (making up numbers)_but, even though this "myth" is constantly proven correct when it comes to OC ing (or else why people overclock).?
    Because you still get more performance.
    The myth holds when comparing apples to oranges, but a bigger apple is still a bigger apple.

As that page you linked states, comparing different processors is the problem when done on frequency alone.

Though I do agree that throwing around that number without context isn't helpful unless it is going to be a typical result and it is as a result of that competitive with or exceeding that of a similar Intel offering in more than just one scenario.
    Trying to show a similar IPC isn't helpful when used in just one example, as the performance comes down to the architecture as a whole.
    And different benchmarks may see the result flip back and forth.

I am hoping from a competition point of view for it to live up to the hype.
    Long overdue Intel having competition.
    Last edited by ComputerNerd; 2017-01-04 at 01:19 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    Your forgot to include the part where we blame casuals for everything because blizzard is catering to casuals when casuals got jack squat for new content the entire expansion, like new dungeons and scenarios.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinaerd View Post
    T'is good to see there are still people valiantly putting the "Ass" in assumption.

15+ Year Old Account
    @ComputerNerd

Oi ... what do you think you're pulling?
    I am the only Richard the Warlock allowed around here.

Don't make me go FWOOSH on your ass!