Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ellieg View Post
    Ive got a question for the gun people on this site. I live in Maryland. Im planning on going to the pawn shop and getting an AR15. How much would you pay for a slightly used AR15? Friends have gotten it for $900 and $1100 within the past few years.

Maryland has a few regulations that im not completely sure about. I believe i have to get a heavy bore receiver. im not too knowledgeable on the subject, but someone talked about getting an 80% receiver and boring it myself. Can anyone explain that and is it completely legal if i know a guy who can do that?
    No such thing. An AR upper receiver is the same on all guns of common caliber. 308 will be a little bigger on some models because of the bigger bolt and bolt carry group. The latest thing is to use a standard upper for 308 and down size the bolt group.

80% lowers are legal if you are allowed to build a gun for personal use in your state. For you getting your 1st AR I wouldn't go that route. I'd get a good commercial gun to start with. A Colt is a good gun to start off with if you want something hard use. Or if you've know a guy who can do a 80% lower get them to talk you through getting a lower and upper complete.
    Me thinks Chromie has a whole lot of splaining to do!

Quote Originally Posted by Spiffums View Post
    No such thing. An AR upper receiver is the same on all guns of common caliber. 308 will be a little bigger on some models because of the bigger bolt and bolt carry group. The latest thing is to use a standard upper for 308 and down size the bolt group.

80% lowers are legal if you are allowed to build a gun for personal use in your state. For you getting your 1st AR I wouldn't go that route. I'd get a good commercial gun to start with. A Colt is a good gun to start off with if you want something hard use. Or if you've know a guy who can do a 80% lower get them to talk you through getting a lower and upper complete.
    Ok thanks a lot. Im still learning. All i have ia remington 870 and a fun little 22. This will be my first real rifle.

10+ Year Old Account
    This is so fake news. She's not flying back to Cali in 240 hours to pick up her rifle.

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Slacker76 View Post
    This is so fake news. She's not flying back to Cali in 240 hours to pick up her rifle.

It isn't really fake news. Aside from the whole "banning ar-15's" nothing else I can find is wrong.

Yes, yes, we get it, the rest of the country hates California.

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    So after you fire your 30 rounds you have to go through some hoops to reload? That's it?
    You mean 10 round magazine, 30's are banned. Soon to be followed by having to have a Ammo license to buy/sell/trade ammo, 500 ammo max limit. yada yada yada. Kommifornia. Getting worse by the day lmao

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Orange Joe View Post
    It isn't really fake news. Aside from the whole "banning ar-15's" nothing else I can find is wrong.
    No they're just banning that configuration. Even the gun nut in the video said as much. You just have to buy your AR in a different configuration going forward. I bought a few rifles in CA when I lived there. It was not that big of a deal.

AR's are basically like fashion accessories for dude-bros. You can get them in so many configurations. Now that gun ownership is saturated in the US, the manufactures are really pushing accessories.

Quote Originally Posted by ProfessorTjc View Post
    Nobody NEEDS an AR-15
    Nobody needs a car with more than 80 hp. Cars not trucks that haul. yet alone a car that goes over 70mph.

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    No they're just banning that configuration. Even the gun nut in the video said as much. You just have to buy your AR in a different configuration going forward. I bought a few rifles in CA when I lived there. It was not that big of a deal.

AR's are basically like fashion accessories for dude-bros. You can get them in so many configurations. Now that gun ownership is saturated in the US, the manufactures are really pushing accessories.

Right. So why are you calling it fake news? What do you think makes it fake news?

Quote Originally Posted by Cebel View Post
    who cares who NEEDS one. It's our constitutional right to bear arms. If we WANT an AR-15 it's our right to own one. Now I will say they need to make it harder for people with mental issues to get a gun. I also believe everyone should be required to take a training course to own a gun, and must retake the course/test once a year to carry.

But like the man says.. We'd rather blame the guns, instead of the bad people. As if criminals are following the law anyways.
    Isn't that basically a yearly tax to own and operate your constitutional right? Unless they make the training course free which lets be honest, any scheme the state can use to milk a dollar out of you they will do.

Quote Originally Posted by Thepersona View Post
    well, this. But i'd like you guys to limit the magazine capacity of high powered rifles to about 5-10 bullets
    But the .223/5.56mm cartridge used in an AR-15 isn't a high powered cartridge. A .308/7.62x51mm is a high powered cartridge but that's technically turning it into an AR-10. So can we use 30 round mags for our AR-15's but 10 for our AR-10's?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ellieg View Post
    Ive got a question for the gun people on this site. I live in Maryland. Im planning on going to the pawn shop and getting an AR15. How much would you pay for a slightly used AR15? Friends have gotten it for $900 and $1100 within the past few years.

Maryland has a few regulations that im not completely sure about. I believe i have to get a heavy bore receiver. im not too knowledgeable on the subject, but someone talked about getting an 80% receiver and boring it myself. Can anyone explain that and is it completely legal if i know a guy who can do that?
    you can get a new one for $500 or $600, yes you can get an 80% receiver perfectly legal, but all said and done you will not really save any money one you buy the LPK (lower parts kit), upper, barrel, buffer tube.........etc. plus you need specialty tools to put one together that are pretty costly. Go buy a DPMS Oracle or a smith and wesson M&P15 both are inexpensive, reliable firearms.
    you can't make this shit up
    Quote Originally Posted by Elba View Post
    Third-wave feminism or Choice feminism is actually extremely egalitarian
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    I hate America
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    I don't read/watch any of these but to rank them:Actual news agency (mostly factual):CNN MSNBC NPR

I agree with the store owner quite a bit here actually. Criminals are not buying guns legally for the most part.

I live in Chicago which has some pretty strict gun laws. We have the highest murder rates involving firearms in the country as far as I know. A very tiny fraction of those guns are bought legally. Multiple sources confirm over the last two years that the sale of illegal firearms on the black market is the source of the majority of firearms used in violent crimes.

Of the 4,505 guns seized by the Chicago Police in 2014 which were used in the act of a crime- not a single one was a rifle. They were all hand guns, 9mm and .38s were the most popular.

I do not own a gun. Nor do I know how to operate a firearm of any kind really. I am also pretty liberal in terms of social politics, but stricter gun control is not tackling the issues of mental health, poverty and rampant drug trafficking that is the primary cause of gun violence in major American cities like Chicago.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Orange Joe View Post
    Right. So why are you calling it fake news? What do you think makes it fake news?
    She didnt really buy the gun. Thus the premise of her video is false. She's just concern trolling easily outraged gun nuts. Quick... the NRA needs more donations.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    I agree with the store owner quite a bit here actually. Criminals are not buying guns legally for the most part.
    The San Bernadino shooters would like to say hello.

Quote Originally Posted by Berph View Post
    You mean 10 round magazine, 30's are banned. Soon to be followed by having to have a Ammo license to buy/sell/trade ammo, 500 ammo max limit. yada yada yada. Kommifornia. Getting worse by the day lmao
    and that's bad because?
    in chile you need to have a license (and a cop's permit) to buy ammo, and also you have a limit to buy per month/year (i dunno if you have a limit on the amount of bullets that you can keep).
    Forgive my english, as i'm not a native speaker

Quote Originally Posted by Thepersona View Post
    and that's bad because?
    in chile you need to have a license (and a cop's permit) to buy ammo, and also you have a limit to buy per month/year (i dunno if you have a limit on the amount of bullets that you can keep).
    Thank god we're not in Chile.
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

The San Bernadino shooters would like to say hello.
    Which accounts for what percent of gun violence?

10+ Year Old Account
    Which accounts for what percent of gun violence?
    Tell that to the victims, tell them they're a small percent of your concerns.

Quote Originally Posted by mayhem008 View Post
    well, our gun deaths are much lower than yours so take that with a grain of salt. also, we dont have to think that the person next to you is armed
    Forgive my english, as i'm not a native speaker

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

I live in Chicago which has some pretty strict gun laws. We have the highest murder rates involving firearms in the country as far as I know. A very tiny fraction of those guns are bought legally. Multiple sources confirm over the last two years that the sale of illegal firearms on the black market is the source of the majority of firearms used in violent crimes.

Of the 4,505 guns seized by the Chicago Police in 2014 which were used in the act of a crime- not a single one was a rifle. They were all hand guns, 9mm and .38s were the most popular.

I do not own a gun. Nor do I know how to operate a firearm of any kind really. I am also pretty liberal in terms of social politics, but stricter gun control is not tackling the issues of mental health, poverty and rampant drug trafficking that is the primary cause of gun violence in major American cities like Chicago.
    Well said. Blaming guns for the violence there is like blaming the fox for getting into the chicken coup when you fail to lock the coup's entrance gate or fix the holes in the fence. Or getting upset at the horse for running out of the barn when you left the barn door open.

Quote Originally Posted by mayhem008 View Post
    Yeah! Who wants to live somewhere with drastically lower gun violence rates than the US?