Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ...
    7+ Year Old Account
    Don't sweat it. The west coast as usual will take care of things. I've said it before :
    Quote Originally Posted by callipygoustp View Post
    Don't be afraid. We'll be gentle. California won't ram this down your throat. The state will figure it out and then take a couple years of easing the rest of the country into it; just like it's done with other socially progressive policies over the years.

Breath deep, I know it's scary, but there isn't a dam thing you can do about it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    I can guarantee you that those companies would kill for the clean, renewable and cheap energy source. It's the fucking GOLD MINE.
    If oil and coal would have to pay for their real costs, a ridiculously large sums to build dams and moving cities then the water level rising they would not be profitable. Hence all the lobby that it is no global heating...

Deleted
    That's like conspiracy theory dude.
    I can guarantee you that those companies would kill for the clean, renewable and cheap energy source. It's the fucking GOLD MINE. The first to find and patent it will rule them all. They will ditch burning oil right away. They won't ditch oil totally though, because oil is used for other things.

They are not stupid. They know oil is of limited supply and there are better ways to use it than as fuel.
    Not a conspiracy, all companies protect their interests and these are no different. The problem is that these companies' interests go against the interests of the planet. Greed is one of the most powerful forces in the world. Check out every single politician in the US that have fought against renewable energy or climate change and I guarantee you 100% you will find a money trail to big oil, the Koch brothers or something similar.

But it doesn't even have to be a "conspiracy", technology only ever moves forward if something pushes it forward, and for almost 100 years nothing has incentivized the automobile industry to innovate, causing people to believe that there's nothing left to innovate on, but that's simply not true.

http://waitbutwhy.com/2015/06/how-te...ife.html#part1 This is a great article on the subject that's obviously biased, Part 2 in the article talks about how and why technology moves forward if you're not interested in the rest.

7+ Year Old Account
    That's like conspiracy theory dude.
    I can guarantee you that those companies would kill for the clean, renewable and cheap energy source. It's the fucking GOLD MINE. The first to find and patent it will rule them all. They will ditch burning oil right away. They won't ditch oil totally though, because oil is used for other things.

They are not stupid. They know oil is of limited supply and there are better ways to use it than as fuel.
    One energy to rule them all, one energy to find them. One energy to bring them all, and in the stock market bind them.

Couldn't resist.
    " The guilt of an unnecessary war is terrible." --- President John Adams
    " America goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy." --- President John Quincy Adams
    " Our Federal Union! It must be preserved!" --- President Andrew Jackson

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    Arnold is the only (or one of the very few) smart republicans on this subject.
    He is originally from west europa, even if he was a die hard right wing there, it still only make him a left wing republican in US.

Quote Originally Posted by a77 View Post
    He is originally from west europa, even if he was a die hard right wing there, it still only make him a left wing republican in US.
    True enough..
    I don't hate you. I'm just not necessarily excited about your existence.

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by slaskel View Post
    Not a conspiracy, all companies protect their interests and these are no different. The problem is that these companies' interests go against the interests of the planet. Greed is one of the most powerful forces in the world..
    People who own these companies are not in it for the money. They already have all the money they need to live like kings for several lifetimes.
    Stop this conspiracy at once.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

Deleted
    People who own these companies are not in it for the money. They already have all the money they need to live like kings for several lifetimes.
    Yeah, because we all know that people with money don't give a shit about money or their market shares etc.

Crawl back into your cave and just stay there please.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Led ++ View Post
    Yeah, because we all know that people with money don't give a shit about money or their market shares etc.

Crawl back into your cave and just stay there please.
    Thanks for your contribution. Apparently when you have all the money you need - you need more money purely for the sake of having more money because greed. How stupid I was before you showed me the way.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

Deleted
    Thanks for your contribution. Apparently when you have all the money you need - you need more money purely for the sake of having more money because greed. How stupid I was before you showed me the way.
    Wow, you really do live on another planet it seems.

Tell your species I said hi.

Deleted
    Sorry, but that's naive.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by slaskel View Post
    Sorry, but that's naive.
    Dude, obviously greed does not exist and our planet is just fine.

Stop this conspiracy at once!

This is too funny.
    I don't hate you. I'm just not necessarily excited about your existence.

10+ Year Old Account
    And this right here is why I like Arnold and wish he was Governor still. He speaks exactly what it's about, and proves Republicans are not as some left leaning zealots would claim, a party of Climate Change deniers. There's no need to deny anything. Just use common sense and get on to the damn solution already.

Deleted
    That came from the Governator? Interesting... more eloquent than I thought. Good on him.

Now we only need to worry about the machine uprising.

The cheapest new energy on the planet is solar in the most favorable locations (in Chile, for example, it beat coal by a factor of 2 in a recent open bid.)

The areas in which renewables are the cheapest sources are growing.

Costs of renewables are dropping rapidly, even without subsidies.

Most new renewable capacity was installed in developing countroes last yes (something like 150GW). When a trend goes global it becomes tedious to keep bleating about subsidies.

Those of you who still think renewables are not the wave of the future should prepare yourselves to change their worldview. Your cognitive dissonance is only going to get more painful in the next decade or so.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

Phillip Green stole hundreds of millions from the pension fund of BHS workers, and used it to buy his third yacht. If you think that greed doesn't exist, and that it doesn't cause people to make damaging, dangerous decisions, even if they adversely impact other people, then your sarcastic description of yourself may be more accurate than you think.
    When challenging a Kzin, a simple scream of rage is sufficient. You scream and you leap.
    Quote Originally Posted by George Carlin
    Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Douglas Adams
    It is a well-known fact that those people who must want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it... anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Huehuecoyotl View Post
    Phillip Green stole hundreds of millions from the pension fund of BHS workers, and used it to buy his third yacht. If you think that greed doesn't exist, and that it doesn't cause people to make damaging, dangerous decisions, even if they adversely impact other people, then your sarcastic description of yourself may be more accurate than you think.
    Never said that greed doesn't exist.
    Hundreds of millions is nothing compared to the wealth of people I am talking about. Green's a conman who gained all his money in a shady way and not so much at that.