Page 14 of 21 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by MatthewOU2015 View Post
    Sorry we don't have time to learn. We work 2 jobs 80 hours a week and barely make ends meet. We have so much debt to pay. Plus the older generations raised us.
    And I would say...Maybe they should not have majored in basket weaving or art....

Quote Originally Posted by Skalm View Post
    And I would say...Maybe they should not have majored in basket weaving or art....
    You would, but it would make you look grossly ill informed.

Quote Originally Posted by Jayburner View Post
    http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/749...ow-Bear-Grylls

but yet I think they'll survive regardless. Some might drown or freeze to death in a forest though.
    Ah the express, here is a game you can play. Type Daily express into a google image search and try and work out which ones are the real headlines and which ones are ones that people have made up.

Quote Originally Posted by Valech View Post
    The children now love luxury; they have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise. Children are now tyrants, not the servants of their households. They no longer rise when elders enter the room. They contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up dainties at the table, cross their legs, and tyrannize their teachers.
    The "elders" you're referring to now are the ones who grew up listening to "devil music" like Rock n Roll 60 years ago or heavy metal 40 years ago or were "hippies" smoking weed and doing LSD and listening to the Beatles.

Being rebellious is not new to modern generations.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by unfilteredJW View Post
    My brain has adapted I think rather well to it's new role as processor rather than a memory storage device.

The kids coming after me/us even more so.
    Exactly, and soon we will improve the interface between our phones and our brains to be integrated - so we won't even have to ask Siri how to build a fire, we will just 'know' it suddenly, when it's required. So the idea of needing to memorize shit will become even more useless - because we'll rely on our brain for massive parallel processing and pattern recognition - the things we still destroy computers at - and we'll just stick little SSD drives / wifi chips into our brains to have perfect instant recall of everything.
    Youtube ~ Yvaelle ~ Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Valech View Post
    The children now love luxury; they have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise. Children are now tyrants, not the servants of their households. They no longer rise when elders enter the room. They contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up dainties at the table, cross their legs, and tyrannize their teachers.
    Keep making generalizations about our generation and we'll keep doing the same to your outdated, irrelevant one. It's called karma.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomac View Post
    The "elders" you're referring to now are the ones who grew up listening to "devil music" like Rock n Roll 60 years ago or heavy metal 40 years ago or were "hippies" smoking weed and doing LSD and listening to the Beatles.

Being rebellious is not new to modern generations.
    His post is actually a quote from Socrates, in about 500 BCE - that was his point

Quote Originally Posted by Yvaelle View Post
    His post is actually a quote from Socrates, in about 500 BCE - that was his point
    Ah, hard to discern from some of the rambling i see on this forum. My bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Lemonpartyfan View Post
    Sort of on topic... I'm technically a millennial.. and a popular meme my friends spread around is the 'Thing I didn't learn in school: How to change a tire, how to balance a checkbook, etc..." and it sorta pisses me off. There are so many ways a person can learn those sorts of things, including basic survival skills. Like dozens or ways to learn those things that are either cheap or just plain free. Its such a dumb complaint.
    I've said to my friends before, the reason basic life bullshit isn't taught in school is its assumed your parents might actually attempt to provide you with something in life including those basics. Plus I learned taxes in freshman economics and they explain it pretty much step for step on most filing sites.

Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    It's not actually from Socrates.

https://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Socrates#Misattributed
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

Quote Originally Posted by IIamaKing View Post
    Yet there are lots of "adults" who overdraw their accounts and carry CC with max balances. Maybe if they were taught something about this in school. They are necessary life skills, school should prepare you for life.

As has been noted internet banking does render balancing an account trivial, but running and living on a budget, I know 35+ people who still struggle with that.
    So it has nothing to do with ''muh millenials'', and everything to do with some people, regardless of age, not being good with money.

Gross overgeneralization in regards to generation is stupid anyway. The comments about Baby Boomers are as bad the ones about Millenials. Not saying you do that, but I see way too many people spout that kind of crap as if they found some great insights on life.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Most millenials lack the life skill to think outside the box, which probably explains a lot of why they are the most tightly wound generation of all and get offended by so much shit. They can't see anything outside their little bubble. I figure the only reason for that is their parents didn't spank them.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrianth View Post
    Well, then I learned something today on GenOT

The More You Know! .--*

Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Well, then I learned something today on GenOT

The More You Know! .--*
    It's rare to actually learn something here. ;p

The point still stands though, it's an ancient quote. Just not from him. lol
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemonpartyfan View Post
    Sort of on topic... I'm technically a millennial.. and a popular meme my friends spread around is the 'Thing I didn't learn in school: How to change a tire, how to balance a checkbook, etc..."
    Who the hell uses cheques frequently enough that balancing the book is even needed?

I don't think I have used more than a dozen cheques in my life, most of those for paying tuition and I don't think I've ever had more than a single outstanding cheque.

For that matter, my college is the only place I can think of off hand that accepts cheques.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

Quote Originally Posted by MatthewOU2015 View Post
    Sorry we don't have time to learn. We work 2 jobs 80 hours a week and barely make ends meet. We have so much debt to pay. Plus the older generations raised us.
    Speak for yourself, you may have made terrible life choices but not all of us. Your victim complex is showing.

Deleted
    Maybe we millenials should do a whining counter-initiative.

Something along the lines of "Baby boomers lack the most basic digital skills"

- "No that's not an Nigerian prince"
    - "Clicking more often doesn't magically make it go faster"
    - "For fucks sake, a browser toolbar is NOT helpful"

but yet I think they'll survive regardless. Some might drown or freeze to death in a forest though.
    Honestly this is less a reflection on Millennials and more a reflection on the generation that raised them.

I'm a millenial apparently, and I can take apart my cars and motorcycles for major repairs, can I claim this is an essential life skill and mock all you oldies for never learning that? What about welding? Or installing electrical systems in the house?

All very applicable life skills, saved me a lot of money over the years by being able to it myself and yet they aren't even considered 'life skills' because you never learned them.

Watch out we got a badass over here thread. I have more faith in kids than the hypercritical shitheads out there today that try to sell something as news when it's just to make their penis feel less small.