Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Thumbs up Stakes high for Trudeau as world's last major progressive leader standing

If the next 12 months seem particularly pivotal for Justin Trudeau's leadership of Canada it's because of what happened everywhere else in the year of Brexit and Donald Trump.

A month to the day after Trump's U.S. presidential victory, Democratic Vice-President Joe Biden came to Ottawa and anointed Justin Trudeau.

"The world's going to spend a lot of time looking to you, Mr. Prime Minister, as we see more and more challenges to the liberal international order than any time since the end of World War II … You and Angela Merkel," Biden said during a state dinner, invoking the German chancellor.

"Vive le Canada," he concluded, "because we need you very, very badly."

Ten months earlier, the Center for American Progress proclaimed that, in a world seeking change, Trudeau and Italy's Matteo Renzi would be the new "paragons of the progressive movement."

Renzi then staked his career on a referendum to implement significant political reforms. Three days before Biden toasted Trudeau, Renzi was toast — resigning in defeat.

All around him are concerns for the very notions he campaigned on: shared prosperity, inclusion, diversity and political change.

Trudeau can claim some prescience. But after 2016, there is new pressure that he succeed.

By Trudeau's own diagnosis, holding the liberal order together depends on the economy.

'When progress stalls, fear moves forward'

"When progress stalls, fear moves forward," Trudeau said in Montreal on Feb. 20, 2014, addressing the opening night of a Liberal Party convention.

After criticizing Quebec Premier Pauline Marois' Charter of Values, Trudeau moved to the economy and a critique of Conservative policies.

"We have a real problem," he said. "The middle class is in trouble. People haven't had a real raise in 30 years, while inequality has increased and household debt has exploded.

"Those who practise the politics of division see this as an opportunity to exploit … It's always much easier to distract people from a problem than it is to solve it. People are susceptible to fearful, divisive messages when they are worried. Worried about their jobs, their debts, their retirement, their kids' future."

The progressive who believes in both active government and liberalized economic policy has the most reason to worry about a turn toward populism.

So how to solve the problem?

Trying to boost economy

In its first 14 months, his government drew the basic outlines of an economic vision, including expanded benefits that skew towards lower and middle incomes.

Two major energy projects were approved, a price on carbon was announced and a massive infrastructure investment was promised. The prime minister has been busy wooing international investors and seems keen to do more business with China.

The next year, starting perhaps with the budget in the spring, presents an opportunity to fill out a comprehensive agenda.

Finance Minister Bill Morneau's advisory council on economic growth has been considering options since June, with a goal of raising median household income to $105,000 by 2030. An innovation agenda, a poverty reduction strategy and a review of the tax system are all on the table.

In a recently published paper, Miles Corak, an economist at the University of Ottawa and a former member of an advisory council the Liberals convened in 2015, suggests changes to the temporary foreign worker program, new measurements to track poverty and the introduction of wage insurance to assist people who take lower-paying employment after losing long-standing jobs.

As part of a project for progressive think-tank Canada 2020, Mike Moffatt (another member of that advisory council) and Hannah Rasmussen drafted an innovation plan that includes investment in inter-city transit, focusing economic immigration on tradable sectors, helping connect new firms with investors and a ban on unpaid internships.

'People are susceptible to fearful, divisive messages when they are worried. Worried about their jobs, their debts, their retirement, their kids' future.'
    - Justin Trudeau in a speech back in 2014

Frances Woolley, an economist at Carleton University, adds an important consideration: if budget deficits aren't controlled, the long-term sustainability of any new program or benefit could be endangered.

The finer details here might not be as retweetable as an image of the prime minister greeting Syrian refugees, but navigating the forces of automation and globalization is equally profound.

In a speech to the World Economic Forum in Davos, Switzerland, last January, Trudeau said it wasn't hard to imagine how the great technological revolution the conference was considering "could produce mass unemployment and greater inequality."

At the same time, it's not entirely clear that economic concerns alone can explain Brexit and Trump, or whether such events are the result of cultural and ethnic resentment or public cynicism.

But Trudeau could also be on to something: shared economic satisfaction might simply make everything easier. And it stands to reason that trade and immigration — both of which the Liberals want to increase — are easier to accept when the system seems to be providing fairly for most everyone.

Trudeau himself has spoken of Canada as an example to the world. Now he gets to try to carry that example, whatever else 2017 might bring.
    http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/politics...deau-1.3919211

Great article here and I have to say, I really agree. The stakes are at an all time high. Given the way the world is going, we all need Mr Trudeau to succeed and inspire hope. When we see the rise in hate crimes elsewhere, it speaks volumes why a leader who inspires others and preaches tolerance and understanding is needed!

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/politics...deau-1.3919211

Great article here and I have to say, I really agree. The stakes are at an all time high. Given the way the world is going, we all need Mr Trudeau to succeed and inspire hope. When we see the rise in hate crimes elsewhere, it speaks volumes why a leader who inspires others and preaches tolerance and understanding is needed!
    But, but, but, but, but closer relationship with Putin and Duerte is more important than fighting authoritarian dictatorship because....
    Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    There is a problem, but I know just banning guns will fix the problem.

I am very disappointed in Trudeau for his pay for play policy.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

15+ Year Old Account
    And canada will remain as irrelevant as ever.

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    Last? he is roughly on the same spot as merkel on the political spectrum? Or is Germany not a big country now?

Not that I consider either to be progressive.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Video Games View Post
    If this were true the top guns in the U.S. wouldn't be talking up Mr. Trudeau. It says a lot about the respect they have for him.

I'm still wrapping my mind around how the article says Biden " anointed" him without a single shred of irony. That kind of messianic posturing is how you get Trump folks. He isn't a bad leader by any means but he's done nothing special besides get famous for virtue signaling. (Its the current year.)

Quote Originally Posted by Gilrak View Post
    Last? he is roughly on the same spot as merkel on the political spectrum? Or is Germany not a big country now?

I think that Tenn thinks Canada is as important a country as Germany. It isn't. Never has been. Their leader also comes across as fake, I like the clips of him when the mask drops.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gelannerai View Post

Remember, legally no one sane takes Tucker Carlson seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    If this were true the top guns in the U.S. wouldn't be talking up Mr. Trudeau. It says a lot about the respect they have for him.
    Biden is a top gun now? They sure did aim low.

Quote Originally Posted by Video Games View Post
    10th highest GDP with space to grow. Not exactly irrelevant.

And in what universe is Obama "progressive". Left-of-center, sure.
    Banned from Twitter by Elon, so now I'm your problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brexitexit View Post
    I am the total opposite of a cuck.

Quote Originally Posted by Zython View Post
    Sorry, I know that this wasn't aimed at me, but I need to ask, as I keep looking at your post, and the one that you quoted. He/she never made mention of Obama in it. I can't see where you got that from.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gelannerai View Post

Remember, legally no one sane takes Tucker Carlson seriously.

Obama is left of republicans, not left of center.

and he's back from his ban to give us his daily Trudeau blog, yay....

Deleted
    I got a bag of popcorn and my laughing hat ready for when this lying woman hater is gone. Trudeau is a regressive and a hypocrite, as simple as that. But no, sadly hes not the last.. Merkel is far more insidious and dangerous (or should I say deplorable?) as she can ruin the lives of considerably more people.

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    I don't think I ever said I consider him to be that.

Merkel is not progressive by any means,, she is in one of the most conservative parties.

Quote Originally Posted by tehealadin View Post
    Sorry, I know that this wasn't aimed at me, but I need to ask, as I keep looking at your post, and the one that you quoted. He/she never made mention of Obama in it. I can't see where you got that from.
    It was meant as an addendum, not a contradiction.
    Banned from Twitter by Elon, so now I'm your problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brexitexit View Post
    I am the total opposite of a cuck.

Remember when Trudeau praised Castro?
    Me too.