Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    The Bush Administration's wild disregard for human and civil rights.
    So, let me get this straight. He won a Nobel Peace prize for claiming he was going to close down Gitmo in 100 days. Before he even took office. And 8 years later, it's Bush's fault they are still open?

At any point, in that 8 years he could have put them all on a plane flown them to New York City and prosecuted them in Federal court for the crimes they had committed.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by GodlyBob View Post
    What court DOES apply then?
    send them to the hague. or havnt you heard of that court you ignorant american prick

Quote Originally Posted by TrumpIsPresident View Post
    Not taking the bait, Edge.
    What bait? Acknowledging the reality that the US has wrongfully imprisoned a number of innocent people at Gitmo, and held them there for years despite never charging them with a crime?

Damn, I thought that was just called reality, not bait.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    @twistedsista: We haven't signed that Treaty. So, yeah...

Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    Don't say I didn't warn you.
    You warned me, now what?

How is the murder and imprisonment of innocent people working for you, dear terrorist?
    Not very well, Obama is letting all the terrorists go, pity.
    If you have evidence of my terrorism, you should report it immediately

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    What bait? Acknowledging the reality that the US has wrongfully imprisoned a number of innocent people at Gitmo, and held them there for years despite never charging them with a crime?

Damn, I thought that was just called reality, not bait.
    When you said "but its their fault for being ...." I had to withdraw.

Perhaps not intentional "bait" but it would have taken us down a road I'm not going to go down.

I'm sure you understand why.

Quote Originally Posted by Noxx79 View Post
    Yeah, you're more like this guy:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dylann_Roof
    Nope. Not like any of these assholes. I'll thank you to drop your insulting accusations.
    MAGA
    When all you do is WIN WIN WIN

I don't know how Guantanamo has even been allowed to exist but everyone involved should be tried for war crimes from Bush and Obama to the low level grunts obeying unlawful orders.

Quote Originally Posted by Kryos View Post
    They grabbed a TAXI DRIVER FROM THE STREETS and put him a full year in Guantanamo. How is that ok? No, he was no fucking terrorist, he was a TAXI DRIVER that was his crime. All who support putting random people in secret jails should also get in a secret jail for no reason, just to think about their stance.
    We will give you 30 detainees right now, please petition your government to take them! They are far too dangerous to come to the US but you can have them.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    And how would that be funded? Because Congress has to approve that.
    Actually, as Commander and Chief, he controls the US military. And simply putting all of the prisoners on 1 or 2 C5 galaxies and dropping them off on American soil the New York Court system is required by law to apply due process. So, the citizens of New York City would pay for it.

This may require a lot of these individuals be released back to their countries. Were they would likely be executed (Looking at China). But, that isn't our problem.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ItsRainingMetal View Post
    You warned me, now what?

Not very well, Obama is letting all the terrorists go, pity.
    If you have evidence of my terrorism, you should report it immediately

How do you know they're terrorists?

7+ Year Old Account
    The existence of the Guantanamo prison is a stain on the very ideas underlying the US. During a declared war, you can hold POWs until it's over.

This isn't a declared war. If the government has evidence that these men have committed a crime, they should be tried in federal court on terrorism charges or be released.

We are better than them. One way we show it is by treating others far better than they would treat us.
    " The guilt of an unnecessary war is terrible." --- President John Adams
    " America goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy." --- President John Quincy Adams
    " Our Federal Union! It must be preserved!" --- President Andrew Jackson

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    It's not abusing his powers. He can direct the military as he wishes without the direction of congress for 60 days. After that he has to request funding from congress.

Flying a C5 Galaxy from Cuba to New York City would actually be the cheapest use of that money he could do. Dropping them off in New York with all current acquired documentation. And Letting the New York District Attorney's office decide what to do with those people is the start of what most of the world calls 'Due Process'.

So, it's not abuse. It's actually requiring the federal system to either apply the law to those individuals or release them back to their home countries. Note: some of those people are wanted by their home countries for crimes committed in that country.

people that support unlawfully putting people in prison without any kind of due process needs to move to a country where the government does that, united states isnt for you

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sykol View Post
    Heads are probably gonna roll because of this.
    OH YOU!

On-T: It's kind of a damned if you do damned if you don't type situation.
    If you assume they are actually Terrorists and you Kill/Imprison them indefinitely - you make them Martyrs for Terrorists, You release them - you basically are letting them go free to rejoin the ranks of Extremists.
    If you assume they aren't Terrorists and you kill/imprison them indefinitely - you make them Martyrs for Terrorists, You release them - you are letting go a group of people that are/were innocent but risk having turned them into extremists in the time they spent inside.

That most idiotic part of GitMo was the massive delay in due process meaning the longer they took to convict/not convict people actually made it harder to do it. At this point I'd say most prisoners are still there because the US just doesn't know what the fuck to do with them. So at the end of the day the best course is likely just to release them back to their home Country and maybe keep loose surveillance on them for just a while to see if they just integrate back into society or try to actually become extremists.

10+ Year Old Account
    Perhaps not intentional "bait" but it would have taken us down a road I'm not going to go down.
    You might delude yourself into thinking you're avoiding that road but you're already on it.

People have been proven in court to have been wrongfully imprisoned in Guantanamo. What's the issue with proving that some other people there are truly guilty? Basically what you're saying is you don't care about collateral damage as long as you get the largest number of actual terrorists.

You probably don't have to worry about getting tossed in there with the others because you don't look like them, but that's just you showing a lack of empathy.

Explain how your love for "America The Free" isn't suspicious when you show you don't care that innocent people have had their freedom taken away just because it allows you to detain a greater number of people suspected of terrorism.

Imprisoning people without due process or trial is something that is done by dictatorships. Is that what you want to be?
    Last edited by jackofwind; 2017-01-05 at 10:55 PM.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Because fuck you, that's why.

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    We will give you 30 detainees right now, please petition your government to take them! They are far too dangerous to come to the US but you can have them.
    I don't want them to be released without any checks. I want them to have a fair and normal trial. When the trial shows they are innocent (like they found out for several ones already), I had no problem taking them or even better, set them free. Why are you so against the normal justice system?
    Atoms are liars, they make up everything!

10+ Year Old Account
    The President releasing more of America's enemies back to the fight.

How many lives will be put at risk or even lost as a result of this?

This mans agenda is amazing.
    So you feel it is okay to detain people with no trial indefinitely?

Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    So you feel it is okay to detain people with no trial indefinitely?
    Random foreigners from terrorist 3rd world shit holes?

Ya in a general sense I don't care - lock them up.

US Citizens?

I'll reserve opinion until after the specifics.

But I wont use one to justify the other.
    MAGA
    When all you do is WIN WIN WIN

10+ Year Old Account
    Random foreigners from terrorist 3rd world shit holes?
    Britain is a third-world shithole? China? Denmark? UAE? Saudi Arabia?

Nearly 800 people from dozens of countries around the world were detained at Guantánamo Bay, most without trials and any idea of how long they would be there. Without contact. Without any way to redress their situation. That's a disgusting violation of human rights no matter where they come from.

EDIT: http://projects.nytimes.com/guantanamo/detainees

Look them up before you paint everyone as a terrorist.

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    Illl remember this this thread when any American supporting this starts talking about 'muh freedoms'.