Page 29 of 95 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    I'm skeptical when it comes to ryzen overclockability, recently in gpus(was case for both polaris and fury) AMD showed us they they ship chips running pretty close to what they are actually capable of ;/

Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    I don't know about whether there'd be a shortage, but PS4/Xbone's supply are from TSMC not GloFo, don't know why but that's how AMD does semicustoms.
    Pretty sure AMD got some screwed up contract with one of them which means they have to make at least X% of their chips at that fab. Think it was GloFo.

15+ Year Old Account
    Terrible terrible wording, but essentially curious on 14HPM(think it was this one?) and the 7nm. Since GF acquired IBM's fab and crew some time last year.
    Ah.. now that makes more sense.

Anyway it's likely that they will as it's now part of GloFo as well as the fact that AMD is said to skip 10nm entirely and jump to 7nm with Zen+ in 2018.

AFAIK both GloFo and TSMC have already taped out 7nm and are said to be in full swing Q1 2018 if no delays are suffered with the process.
    So to answer your question... It's very likely.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by larix View Post
    I'm skeptical when it comes to ryzen overclockability, recently in gpus(was case for both polaris and fury) AMD showed us they they ship chips running pretty close to what they are actually capable of ;/
    Never compare a GPU architecture to CPU architecture, completely different.
    Also again ... history of XYZ is irrelevant when a new, built from scratch, architecture is introduced.

Also not even mentioning Jim Keller being the designer of Ryzen... oh just did I guess!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Evildeffy View Post
    Never compare a GPU architecture to CPU architecture, completely different.
    Also again ... history of XYZ is irrelevant when a new, built from scratch, architecture is introduced.

Also not even mentioning Jim Keller being the designer of Ryzen... oh just did I guess!
    At no point had I compared architecture of gpu to cpu merely stated that AMD have been pushing clock of their market relevant products lately pretty much as high as they could go. Meaning that is it entirely possible that there isn't much headroom for OC. It is not definite but worth keeping in mind as it could be AMDs new policy.
    Also not sure what Jim Keller have to do with anything, you know "designer" doesn't mean he is responsible for everything when it comes to processor, it means he ... designed it(or parts of it) which shouldn't have all that much to do with clocking of said cpu.

15+ Year Old Account
    At no point had I compared architecture of gpu to cpu merely stated that AMD have been pushing clock of their market relevant products lately pretty much as high as they could go. Meaning that is it entirely possible that there isn't much headroom for OC. It is not definite but worth keeping in mind as it could be AMDs new policy.
    Your original quote means exactly that you are making a comparison.
    Regardless of that again you cannot compare CPUs to GPUs in that setting, CPU tolerances are generally quite a bit higher than GPU tolerances.
    Pushing CPU to 100% of tolerances generally isn't a good idea and, by no direct fault of AMD, learned the hard lesson with the FX-9370 and 9590 with the cheaper brands not adhering to AMD's VRM standards and causing damage to their image because of it.
    If the chips were clocked to their max. ability then they wouldn't fall within 95W TDP spectrum, power consumption shoots up exponentially so there is breathing room.

That said you're comparing quite dated architectures to this as contrary to popular belief the RX 480 can be overclocked quite a bit but most of those chips that you buy are basically the shit binned ones. When you get a good binned one it can be pushed quite nicely to a larger effect than Pascal.

Where they send off the higher binned RX 480 chips too though... not a fking clue.
    Check it! .. just be patient when watching this as JayZ is anything but impartial.

Also not sure what Jim Keller have to do with anything, you know "designer" doesn't mean he is responsible for everything when it comes to processor, it means he ... designed it(or parts of it) which shouldn't have all that much to do with clocking of said cpu.
    Jim Keller is pretty much the guy who designed the entire CPU and it's expected tolerances.
    This guy is a genius and considered a living legend and if you remember the Athlon XPs and Athlon64s .. they could clock quite far if you knew WTF you were doing.
    Not as high as the Celeron shits back then but by far more powerful and stable.

Quote Originally Posted by Fascinate View Post
    Have we heard anything about the 4c/8t chips tho? Do we even know if they are releasing around same time as the 8c chips?
    http://www.pcworld.com/article/31551...-and-more.html
    "Ryzen launches it won’t be limited to the high-end 8-core, 16-thread model AMD’s been showing in all its demos. AMD product manager Jim Prior tells me that Ryzen will be a complete stack of chips at release, though he declined to go into further details."

Safe to assume 4c will be there same time? I think so.

Ok, Newegg has the Kaby Lake 7700k, but all the new AMD Ryzen promotional stuff actually got me to wait to make a new PC. Until I see actual hard unbiased benchmarks though but I will wait for AMD and give them a chance for my hard earned dollar. But its their last chance honestly, but I think we owe a true competitor to Intel a last chance.

Funny thing though.

I was on Newegg's site for the 7700k and got the pop up chat from an "expert", I asked them if the 7700k was a huge upgrade over the I5 6600k and this "expert" gave me the total hard sell about how I'm missing out on graphics and performance because I'm using such a bad processor and I should totally upgrade to Kaby Lake. Don't know if he was a plant but his chat with me was rather humorous.
    Last edited by Jimmy Thick; 2017-01-08 at 02:35 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Considering the only new thing really from Kabylake is the decoder for videos... uhh... /facepalm. Architecturally the cores and the integrated GPU are all the same. That suggestion is just ridiculous all around.

Seems like all Ryzen CPUs are going to be unlocked. There is the wraith cooler though that they introduced also. Should provide some decent cooling so you don't need to spring for a $30 min cooler.

Seems like all Ryzen CPUs are going to be unlocked. There is the wraith cooler though that they introduced also. Should provide some decent cooling so you don't need to spring for a $30 min cooler.
    Yup, all desktop parts are unlocked and the only limiting factor is the chipset you use, which is a nice way to do it, because on intel side you are going with a Zxxx board anyways if you want to overclock.

So when if ever are we going to see any benchmarks?

Quote Originally Posted by Wikko View Post
    So when if ever are we going to see any benchmarks?
    The motherboards are releasing in late Feb/early March, so would think it's then.. Assuming it's release date NDA.

Quote Originally Posted by mrgreenthump View Post
    The motherboards are releasing in late Feb/early March, so would think it's then.. Assuming it's release date NDA.
    Ah, I thought we could see something in CES but oh well

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wikko View Post
    Ah, I thought we could see something in CES but oh well
    There's going to be more hype, but third party benchmarks won't be out until the NDA is lifted.

Some news here:

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2017/...erboards-hype/

I tried those demos myself at CES, and it's hard to not be impressed. Until Ryzen lands in the hands of reviewers and the public, though, we should take everything with a large pinch of salt and a donning of the great scepticism hat. After all, this is a company that has a vast history of over promising and under delivering.
    And the launch date seems to be Feb 28:

http://wccftech.com/amd-launching-ryzen-cpu-gdc-2017/

Pricing:

http://wccftech.com/amd-ryzen-lineup...cores-low-320/

Still out of the reach of most people but priced about where i expected them to be. Should drop pricing on intels 2011 stuff so there is that, but im more curious about AMD's 4c8t parts and how they stack up to i7's or i5's for gaming.

Well, at least their top dog is half the price of 6900K.

15+ Year Old Account
    http://wccftech.com/intel-core-i7-80...en-processors/

Will you look at that... seems like Intel is in a bit of a panic mode here.
    A new unannounced refresh/build coming out which isn't on any of their roadmaps to, assumingly, combat Ryzen.

Deleted
    I wonder if it's just another clock boost, I can't see tbh what else they could've possibly done.

15+ Year Old Account
    I wonder if it's just another clock boost, I can't see tbh what else they could've possibly done.
    It very likely is as the 15% rise is the same 15% rise as they claim to have gone from 6700K to 7700K in Sysmark...
    It's also still 14nm based and according to these rumours 2H 2017.. that's too little time to formulate a proper response in a new architecture.

It's likely the limits of the architecture at this stage like AMD's R9 390X f.ex. had where it was clocked pretty much as far as it'd go.

Ohhhhhh I'm looking to do a brand new build. I want this new AMD if it's brand new, good, and cheap...but I also don't wanna be stuck with AMD if everything ends up just supporting Intel. Whatever that means.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    Ohhhhhh I'm looking to do a brand new build. I want this new AMD if it's brand new, good, and cheap...but I also don't wanna be stuck with AMD if everything ends up just supporting Intel. Whatever that means.
    Everything has been supporting Intel. But I'm sure if RyZen is the new winner, everyone will recommend it.