Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Poppincaps View Post
    How are Iron Bull, Sera, or Josephine stereotypical? Granted 2 of them are bi, but still they aren't stereotypes.
    So you had literally NOTHING to add to this discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by Gravath View Post
    Getting stereotypical homosexual characters showed down our throats because they are afraid of losing sales is a legitimate complaint.
    All companion NPCs should be romanceable regardless of MC gender as a good character isn't defined by their sexuality.
    Like the shuttlepilot in ME3. A hunk of gay and nothing else.
    Well that is just.....the sexuality of the characters isn't their defining trait. They normalise it, nothing more, it isn't shoved down our throats. Bioware showed how to make characters who aren't heterosexual in a way that wasn't in your face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gelannerai View Post

Remember, legally no one sane takes Tucker Carlson seriously.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gravath View Post
    So you had literally NOTHING to add to this discussion.
    I think the person who discredits other's opinions as worthless is the one who has nothing to add to the discussion. If you just want to spout your opinions without being challenged, then go look in the mirror and talk to yourself. I'm sure you'll get just as much value.

Or you could add value to the conversation yourself by explaining why you think they are stereotypes if you disagree.

10+ Year Old Account
    Only character you could reasonably argue about being a token inclusion for is Krem and that scene in the Tavern at skyhold that came across as horribly forced, but for the other gay characters them being gay isn't really the point of their characterisation.

15+ Year Old Account
    None of which as to do with Andromeda.

Go make an 'Bioware is to inclusive for me' thread to rant in.

Quote Originally Posted by tehealadin View Post
    Well that is just.....the sexuality of the characters isn't their defining trait. They normalise it, nothing more, it isn't shoved down our throats. Bioware showed how to make characters who aren't heterosexual in a way that wasn't in your face.
    so much so that heterosexual romances are usually pretty bad. Granted the Mass effect hetero options have gnerally been good but if they hire the same guy from dragon age inquisition it will ruin any motivation I have for finishing the game (like in da inquisition).

- - - Updated - - -

I think the person who discredits other's opinions as worthless is the one who has nothing to add to the discussion. If you just want to spout your opinions without being challenged, then go look in the mirror and talk to yourself. I'm sure you'll get just as much value.

Or you could add value to the conversation yourself by explaining why you think they are stereotypes if you disagree.
    a good part of debate is determining the worth of the other's statement, research, and opinion. For instance a debate about weather change should place high value on a scientist who has studied the phenomenom than a buearocrat. However is many debates the point of the subject is pointless so all opinion are equally worthless.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Raego View Post
    I really can't get the hyped for Bioware's games any more. Their last good game was mass effect 2 and that was 7 years ago. After that every game they made was some half-assed abomination. This just looks like a space version of inquisition, which was an average game with sub par animations, a weak story and clunky gameplay.

And the locations they've shown? This is supposed to be a game about exploring a new galaxy, why are all the places they've shown so bland and ugly?? It seems EA really took all of their creativity away...
    EA is mostly a giant shell company. The only major changes companies under EA face are goals metrics, broad player appeal, and ultimately the bottom line. Therefore a lot of games don't receive full attention anymore and are released unfinished because the amount of investment has gone dry for it's projected revenue. It's part of why ME 2 was the best overall. The first was them creating a new concept. The second was the finished and polished version of it. The 3rd was capitalism and guess what happened when everyone finished that.

10+ Year Old Account
    EA is basically Sony and Microsoft. Except they don't make consoles. They provide funding, marketing and distribution. Them and Activision gobbled up a lot of studios. A lot more than they should have. The corporate nature of them has left a graveyard of game devs.

Quote Originally Posted by zealo View Post
    Only character you could reasonably argue about being a token inclusion for is Krem and that scene in the Tavern at skyhold that came across as horribly forced, but for the other gay characters them being gay isn't really the point of their characterisation.
    I'd say them making Kaidan Bi after two games of being straight is a token inclusion/modification. But i guess that could have also just be more evidence of them not giving any fucks about the story anymore like the star child and the whole quick shit ending because they supposedly didn't realize in a game series where choices matter that people would expect the ending to have your choices matter.

10+ Year Old Account
    How are Iron Bull, Sera, or Josephine stereotypical? Granted 2 of them are bi, but still they aren't stereotypes.

Although I don't agree that every character should be romanceable regardless of gender. There should be hetero characters, homo characters, and bi characters. Just because a character has a sexual preference doesn't mean they are defined by it. Morrigan is straight but that's honestly a very small part of her character.
    Im with you. Their sexuality did not define them for me. Their personalities did. But, some people can't handle the idea of homosexuals, even when they aren't physically tangible, such as online or in a video game.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

Quote Originally Posted by zealo View Post
    Limiting both healing and amount of health potions at hand was a good thing compared to DA:O, imo.

Staying alive being more about avoiding damage than chugging health potions endlessly is a good thing. They just failed to provide any legitimately challenging fights tuned properly for that until DLC packs.
    A healer is an extra playstyle that makes the game more interesting.

I loved playing one in DAO. Also a good solo class..

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Nazrark View Post
    Everything that isn't bold is a legitimate complaint. Complaining about a character's sexual orientation is not one of them.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, my bad. I was ill informed on the situation. Having read upon it, I can safely say. Blame the British.
    Oh, it sure is.

Those characters were used as a selling point to bring in the gays who want muh representation. They fucking advertised them.

How about we focus on creating good characters and if it makes sense we make them gay, instead of making gay characters by default and if they turn out to be good characters, ok?

The main feature of Dorian is that he's gay and thus thrown out of his home. It's meant to resonate with gay players coming out of the closet and having hardships about it.

Ugh.

Dorian and Sara aren't good characters that happen to be gay. They're gay characters that happen to be not so good.

Alright folks, let's keep discussion on Mass Effect. We have a whole other thread to discuss Dragon Age in.

10+ Year Old Account
    I personally think that people distressed by a character's sexuality in a fictional world should check up with a doctor, but that's just my unprofessional opinion. In any case, as an argument against the quality of a video game, it is pretty pathetic.
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

Quote Originally Posted by May90 View Post
    I personally think that people distressed by a character's sexuality in a fictional world should check up with a doctor, but that's just my unprofessional opinion. In any case, as an argument against the quality of a video game, it is pretty pathetic.
    Token characters are bad for an RPG where immersion is prime.

The lesbian chick from Mass Effect 3 was done well ( Samantha Traynor? ). Her sexuality wasn't in your face and wasn't a core feature of her.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by pateuvasiliu View Post
    Token characters are bad for an RPG where immersion is prime.

The lesbian chick from Mass Effect 3 was done well ( Samantha Traynor? ). Her sexuality wasn't in your face and wasn't a core feature of her.
    Funny, since I thought her sexuality was pushed more than that of other characters you mentioned. I think the difference here is that she is an attractive girl who is into girls, and it turns you on. If she was an attractive guy who is into guys, as Dorian was, your judgment would have been different.
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.

BREAKING NEWS:
    PC Gamer - Male player character in Andromeda is a beta cuck who is terrified of sex and the whipped brother to his feminist, Mary Sue sister.

Please post constructively and on-topic. Infracted. -Edge
    Last edited by Edge-; 2017-01-06 at 10:41 PM.

Well... is that what the article is about? I'm assuming so since you kept the picture up.
    "It's 2013 and I still view the internet on a 560x192 resolution monitor!"

Quote Originally Posted by May90 View Post
    Funny, since I thought her sexuality was pushed more than that of other characters you mentioned. I think the difference here is that she is an attractive girl who is into girls, and it turns you on. If she was an attractive guy who is into guys, as Dorian was, your judgment would have been different.
    Traynor? Pushed? How? I only found out she was a lesbian when I called her up.

Quote Originally Posted by NoiseTank13 View Post
    Well... is that what the article is about? I'm assuming so since you kept the picture up.
    There's a link to it if you want to give it a read, the article is just a short summary of the video and that's it. Not much in the way of commentary or editorializing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by pateuvasiliu View Post
    Traynor? Pushed? How? I only found out she was a lesbian when I called her up.
    She mentions in the very first conversation, when you meet her, how she was aroused by EDI's voice and how she had said something about doing lewd things with her non-existing body. Then it comes up many times. Again, I don't have a problem with it, it is part of her naughty character.

With Dorian, honestly, I wouldn't even remember his sexuality, if people hadn't brought it up here. I only knew he was gay from exploring possible romance options before starting the game. I think he mentioned something about being gay and being ostracized in the empire because of that, but it isn't something I paid conscious attention to, because I didn't see it as a definitive feature of his character.
    Same with Cera. I know that she is a lesbian only from one of the "Dragon Age Inquisition funny moments" compilations on Youtube, where she is in bed with a female inquisitor.

Honestly, the only character in all Bioware games in which I thought their sexuality was essential to their story was Krem, and I think Krem added a lot to out understanding of the Qunari and their attitude towards those who deviate from the norm. It was a great character, the only transsexual character I've ever seen in a video game, and a very believable one at that.

---

Oh, well, and, apparently, Asari sexuality is important for the lore too. Again, it is organically integrated into the universe, not forced or anything.
    Last edited by May90; 2017-01-07 at 01:39 AM.

Isn't his loyalty quest about meeting some member of his family and how they kicked him out for being gay?

And ANYONE could be aroused by EDI's voice, doesn't make her a lesbian doe. Could be bi or just into AI.