Thread: Tank help

10+ Year Old Account

Tank help

Hello all. I'm a BrM tank and my guild's OT is a warrior. I know there's a gear difference between us, but he seems to be struggling on a few fights that I'm finding trivial. Here's a link to his armory. I was wondering if anyone could look over his gear and some logs and give some tips. Warrior tanks have never been my strong suit.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...aulmogg/simple

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports...ss=-3&source=9

Lets start.

Wrong Talents, so obviously he is getting pummeled, any Warrior not playing Vengeance/Ultimatum and raiding should be rerolling.

And because he is playing wrong talents, he is pooling rage to counter every few hits instead of trying to counter all of them since as far as i saw he even gets raged capped at some points but thats probably because his talents are wrong, therefor he is playing the way he thinks he should, which is wrong.

And his Shield Block uptime seems a bit low for Guarm when it should be up 24/7.

At least his gearing seems to be mostly alright, but i am pretty sure he is prioritizing item level on some items rather than actually going for correct stats.
    Last edited by potis; 2017-01-05 at 08:20 PM.

He's definitely using the wrong talents, and it also looks like he should be casting Shield Slam a lot more. His devastate damage shouldn't be higher than Shield Slam. Using more Shield Slam will also help with keeping Shield Block up for longer.

Here are my logs for that fight, not that they're perfect, but my ilvl and fight length are very similar.
    https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports...mmary&source=8

Deleted
    This is what I can add.

He is using last stand and shield wall, which is great, but he isn't using demoralizing shout... He can do it at least twice in that fight, so he most definitely should. Also spell reflect. He can use it every other breath I think. It wont make or break anything, but that is an extra free 30% magic damage reduction. Might as well capitalize on it.

He is being cheap on his gems, but that is neither here nor there.

Flasks. Stamina flask isn't really good. Warriors already have above average HP. He will get much more use out of a STR flask - it buffs his absorbs.

He is dying to mele hits and fangs mostly which is sad but as the other have mentioned, increased shield block uptime should largely fix that.

At least he knows to stay in the right color and can dodge the charge and I presume you killed Odyn with him, so he can do mechanics. Just needs to work on getting the most out of his class and spec.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Fangs are probably the most unpleasant source of damage in that fight and he died quite a few times from them. Luckily, they are very predictable. He shouldn´t be afraid to use big cooldowns for that, unlike many other tanks our cooldowns are designed to reduce the damage before shit hits the fan and are not meant to be used when already in critical condition. Depending on how fast you kill the boss after the nerf, he might wanna call for externals.

Other things have already been mentioned.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    I've done nothing wrong. I'm not the one with the problem its everyone else that has a problem with me.
    Quote Originally Posted by MilesMcStyles View Post
    I don't care that other people don't play the content that I enjoy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Thanks for the tips. I'll be bringing these points up with him.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Valech View Post
    Fangs are probably the most unpleasant source of damage in that fight and he died quite a few times from them. Luckily, they are very predictable. He shouldn´t be afraid to use big cooldowns for that, unlike many other tanks our cooldowns are designed to reduce the damage before shit hits the fan and are not meant to be used when already in critical condition. Depending on how fast you kill the boss after the nerf, he might wanna call for externals.

Other things have already been mentioned.
    Good tips. He is using his big CDs and they are throwing externals on him, but I didn't check if this is happening preventively.

Like everyone said, his up-times are definitely low, and some of that is coming from his talent choices. Ideally for Guarm I would say his talent choices should be this.

Shockwave (doesn't actually matter) > Inspiring Presence (Victory Rush was never cast on your kill so he clearly does not need it) > Ultimatum > Bounding Stride > Indomitable > Vengeance > Heavy Repercussions.

The main thing is the Ultimatum/Vengeance combo right now is super strong and forces a different play-style but ups overall damage/mitigation fairly significantly by introducing Vengeance weaving. Essentially this boils down to alternating casts of Focused Rage and Ignore Pain EVERY cast. His pull should always look like this using this talent setup; Charge > Shield Block > Battle Cry > Shield Slam > Focused Rage (off GCD, guaranteed crit; this also starts you FR/IP weave) > IP (off GCD) > Standard Rotation follows. I would also use Demo Shout immediately for the extra rage generation, and the CD should be up for the enrage period anyway. Gets him an extra cast, lowers damage a tiny bit twice instead of once.

His use of revenge is also pretty low. He should be casting this one GCD before a natural reset of Shield Slam. This is the ONLY time you want to cast revenge in a single target fight currently. It will not net you that much rage, but it is better than a devastate 1 GCD out from a natural SS CD.

Also, if he gets low just have him run out of Guarm's hit box and sit with the melee. Your MT should be able to eat attacks on his own if you have to. Many guilds use a one-tank strat for Guarm (Normal/Heroic) because it is easier to manage the healing in and the extra DPS slot is valuable as well. So if he gets low he can just leap out until he gets healed up.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by potis View Post
    Lets start.

Wrong Talents, so obviously he is getting pummeled, any Warrior not playing Vengeance/Ultimatum and raiding should be rerolling.

And because he is playing wrong talents, he is pooling rage to counter every few hits instead of trying to counter all of them since as far as i saw he even gets raged capped at some points but thats probably because his talents are wrong, therefor he is playing the way he thinks he should, which is wrong.

And his Shield Block uptime seems a bit low for Guarm when it should be up 24/7.

At least his gearing seems to be mostly alright, but i am pretty sure he is prioritizing item level on some items rather than actually going for correct stats.
    yeah if he's having issues with talent selection that is a red flag there's probably other issues, talent information feels intuitive or at least information that is readily available