Page 10 of 19 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Super Friendly Kitty Cat View Post
    Okay, I agree with you.
    You would have found that out faster if you read the posts you quote.

Quote Originally Posted by Super Friendly Kitty Cat View Post
    Those wages they make also take into account the cost to house them in the prisons though.

They are getting paid literally a livable wage while inside the prison as everything else is paid for. Healthcare, housing, food, clothing, toiletries, TV, electricity, garbage disposal, water, maintenance, personal security force, and furniture.

Actually most prisoners jump at the chance to work. The volunteer list fills up quick.

Why are you underestimating the desire of criminal prisoners wanting to work and learn a trade and be a value to society? That is a pretty pessimistic view of criminal prisoners who just want to give back and atone for their crimes.
    Basically what the person said. Most of our jailbirds either work on the park with mowing and cleaning up or the crew that goes to businesses and pick up cardboard and other recyclable items do it because it pays for their stay and gives them something to do outside of the cell rooms.
    Its interesting talking to some of them while they come to where I work.

Quote Originally Posted by Zython View Post
    "I read somewhere that people LIKE being slaves."
    Aren't most of us "slaves" though to some extent?

I don't know too many people who like to get up on a cold winter's morning, stumble out to their freezing car, drive to their job and work eight hours, five days a week.

Why do people do it? Because they are forced to financially.

Anyways this was in the article

Darling said the Bristol County program is limited to nonviolent inmates near the end of their sentences. It is voluntary, but Darlin said prisoners often view it as an opportunity to avoid a jail cell all day while learning a skill.

Quote Originally Posted by want my Slimjim View Post
    http://www.infowars.com/sheriff-offe...p-border-wall/

Good, it's about time prisoners start being useful instead of being useless behind bars.
    Who fucking cares what a fake news site has to say? GG advocating for forced slavery though.

Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    You would have found that out faster if you read the posts you quote.

I think our disagreement was over compensation for their work.

If I read you correctly you seem to think what they are currently being paid for working in the kitchen, etc is too low, while I think it is fine if you factor in their total compensation package.

Curious though, what hourly wage do you think prisoners should earn for the typical work they do while in prison?

prisoners doing it seems fine.
    prisoners work for cheap, i think its like 8 cents an hour? so its less on costs. it would take some jobs away from construction crews but maybe they could do other jobs or just work on another area?

if i was stuck in a cell all day i might enjoy working outside building the wall.
    Last edited by announced; 2017-01-07 at 02:43 AM.

There is little to no room for unskilled labor in modern public construction. A backhoe can do the job that will take 4 people a whole day in one scoop. A ditch witch trencher can dig a trench faster than any 100 people. You can do 300 feet of 12 feet deep by 10 feet wide trench in solid rock with dexpan in one day.

Most public work construction companies capable of doing projects of this magnitude are either union shop or union signatory.

Then there is the matter of safety. A construction site is a dangerous place. Even for people that want to be there. Untrained worker with “I don't give a damn” attitude is a danger not only to himself, but also to the people around him.

Finally, think of liability. What insurance company would want to offer workmans comp and general liability insurance for a project with unskilled convicts as workers.

Usually these programs that have prisoners working offer implicit "Good behavior" points (like working in the prison library), and do pay a little bit. However, the amount is much below minimum wage which doesn't apply to prison labor.

If prisoners, even if its only a few, can be put in a controlled situation where they can pick up some job skills its a great idea. OF course you'd have to make the program voluntary.

Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    I don't have a problem with this, as long as they are actually volunteering. Gives them something to do.
    I do have to wounder how many are going to actually volunteer and how many do so under implied threats of worse conditions if the don't volunteer for this oblivious political stunt.

Quote Originally Posted by want my Slimjim View Post
    Not slavery. When you're in prison for a felony you do whatever they tell you.
    Forced labour isn't slavery

What world do you live in?

Also, yes. Thats JUST what America needs. Railways across the country? Nah. Reliable public transport? Nah. Health care? Nah.

What America needs is a badly built, probably 5 meter high wall that will take a decade or two to complete and do utterly nothing.

These people dig fucking tunnels hundreds of meters through the ground to get into America. Do you think they can't cross a small wall?

Or are we seriously suggesting the wall is going to be some fucking 20 meter high piece of shit?

Deleted
    Wouldn't it be better to get a company (or several) to do it, boost the building economy a bit (maybe even get some jobs going for a number of years) and also ensure that it is actual quality work that gets done?

I mean the wall is meant to keep out people that make the work market suffer by offering an even lower wage and pay, and this would essentially amount to the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Conflux View Post
    the prisoners can also say no. du-uh
    Yup that is how prison works, you decide what you do and don't do.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

Quote Originally Posted by Lemposs View Post
    Wouldn't it be better to get a company (or several) to do it, boost the building economy a bit (maybe even get some jobs going for a number of years) and also ensure that it is actual quality work that gets done?

I mean the wall is meant to keep out people that make the work market suffer by offering an even lower wage and pay, and this would essentially amount to the same thing.
    Yeah the ironic part. They want to use cheap labor, aka prisoners, to build a wall to keep out people who are the cheap labor.
    Democrats are the best! I will never ever question a Democrat again. I LOVE the Democrats!

10+ Year Old Account
    If slavery is back. I can live a long dead dream of being an 18th century plantation owner. White suit and all.

What a time to be alive.

Also, I hope they make Prison Break 2 about these workers.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Shon237 View Post
    Yeah the ironic part. They want to use cheap labor, aka prisoners, to build a wall to keep out people who are the cheap labor.
    I'd laugh if it happened, and it was illegal immigrants from prison that ended up building it

Quote Originally Posted by Lemposs View Post
    I'd laugh if it happened, and it was illegal immigrants from prison that ended up building it
    oh yeah! More irony!
    Democrats are the best! I will never ever question a Democrat again. I LOVE the Democrats!

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I don't have a problem with this, even if they are forced to.

Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    "Its ok because they deserve it" is basically the justification for slavery every other time too.
    You know I wonder how these people would react if they were wrongfully convicted (Happens way too often at least 10-15% of the time.) and were forced into these hard labour events with the punishment along the lines of Orlong suggested of a month in solitary if they refused.