Deleted

Source of fel magic

Hi guys,

first, please pardon me for my bad english, it's not my primal language.

I have few questions about fel magic. I always thought that fel magic is from Twisting Nether, as opposite of arcane in Great Dark Beyond. As Chronicle stated: Order = Arcane / Disorder = Fel. Fel energy originates as a result of the mutual destruction of light and void as they collide in the Twisting Nether.
    So I thought that warlock draw fel energy directly from Twisting Nether, alone or with help of his demon. If I remember correctly, there was passive skill for Destruction Warlock in game that said something like this.
    But few day ago, I read on wiki this:

Fel destroys life to fuel the caster‘s spells. Warlocks convert life into fel, draining the victim as a source of power.

We can also see Gul'dan in movie siphoning life from Draenei to open Dark Portal. And from Sean Copeland:

Q: Are warlocks harnessing their power from the Twisting Nether?
    A: No, that’d be magi, IIRC. They gain power by the destruction another source (life?).

Which I do not understand, mages draw their power from Twisting Nether? Isn't it nonsense?

So what is correct? Did warlocks draw their power from Twisting Nether or from life of their victims? Or both ways are correct and it's only about warlocks preference?

Deleted
    Mages do not gain their power from the Nether per se, Sean Copeland misremembered things there (to his defense, he did say IIRC, if I recall correctly). However, as arcane does exist in both the Great Dark Beyond and the Twisting Nether, they technically can "draw" it from there, the question simply is, why do it?

As for fel magic. I believe both are indeed correct. A warlock can create a new "batch" of fel magic by consuming some or all life energy of another being, or he can draw it from the Nether where it already exists as a result of Light and Void colliding at its edge.

Deleted
    Thank you so much, that's what I hoped to hear

Quote Originally Posted by Vyve View Post
    Mages do not gain their power from the Nether per se, Sean Copeland misremembered things there (to his defense, he did say IIRC, if I recall correctly). However, as arcane does exist in both the Great Dark Beyond and the Twisting Nether, they technically can "draw" it from there, the question simply is, why do it?

As for fel magic. I believe both are indeed correct. A warlock can create a new "batch" of fel magic by consuming some or all life energy of another being, or he can draw it from the Nether where it already exists as a result of Light and Void colliding at its edge.
    To me, Sean has no defense. The fact that he stated "IIRC" as if demonologists harnessing their power from the place demons are from actually depends on him recalling correctly is proof that he is an arrogant, no-good, unscrupulous person. Sean is Blizzard's Historian and people seem so willing to reiterate his nonsense as canon fact even though he is absolutely wrong, which - to me - is a shame. He is fishy and I hate fish.

If I remember chronicle correctly: The highest order forces are more like concepts that find their expression in various magical alignments. Light expresses itself though holy magic, Order though Arcane, Disorder though Fel, etc.

So, Fel acts as a disordering force which is why its strengthened by souls burning. As things, especially magical things, fall to disorder they become fel which causes other things to trend toward disorder. This is why its also so dangerous and addictive, because the power comes easy and those that use it are compelled to keep using it. They effectively become embodiments of the concept of Disorder.

I don't think Warlocks take power from the Nether directly. They may get it from demons that exist in the Nether though. The Nether IIRC is essentially a cosmic membrane where pure light and void are clashing, this spawns demons that have an affinity for fel, but I don't think the Nether is environmentally rife with fel itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Rainforest View Post
    To me, Sean has no defense. The fact that he stated "IIRC" as if demonologists harnessing their power from the place demons are from actually depends on him recalling correctly is proof that he is an arrogant, no-good, unscrupulous person. Sean is Blizzard's Historian and people seem so willing to reiterate his nonsense as canon fact even though he is absolutely wrong, which - to me - is a shame. He is fishy and I hate fish.
    The guy misremembered something and prefaced his statement with "If I remember correctly", which he did not. This kind of response seems really unstable, whether or not it's over the lore of a video game.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Seifross View Post
    The guy misremembered something and prefaced his statement with "If I remember correctly", which he did not. This kind of response seems really unstable, whether or not it's over the lore of a video game.
    Indeed. He's not bound to remember every single thing, and he clearly stated that he is saying this off the top of his head.