Stood in the Fire Grapefruitsnz's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post
    Then you haven't paid attention to the 7 and 8 win playoff teams, when they want to completely revamp the playoff system to keep your team out because they don't deserve to be there is when your team has gotten the most shit.
    True, but I remember the 7-9 Seahawks getting some love/support going into their game with the Saints from a few years ago. Although, and to your point, I do also remember the discussions about changing the playoff system so a losing team couldn't make it as a result of that year so.

Quote Originally Posted by Grapefruitsnz View Post
    True, but I remember the 7-9 Seahawks getting some love/support going into their game with the Saints from a few years ago. Although, and to your point, I do also remember the discussions about changing the playoff system so a losing team couldn't make it as a result of that year so.
    I mean the Texans last year were given I think less of a chance then the Lions of this year. And they ended up being right to doubt them.
    Last edited by Faltemer; 2017-01-07 at 03:23 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    SO FKN READY FOR THE PLAYOFFS!

Woo!

Quote Originally Posted by Faltemer View Post
    I was using the 1-158.7 scale. The first thing I said was "He was sub 100 QBR for a majority of their first 10 games". Short of a literaly perfect game, and I dont even know what you have to do to achieve that, you are getting under 100 in the other method.
    Right. And that's why I said I was confused at first because QBR and passer rating are two different scales. When you said QBR my brain automatically assumed you were using the fallacious scale that ESPN made up - my bad. His combined average PASSER RATING for his first 10 games was 96.8. Again it wasn't up to Aaron Rodgers standards, but it wasn't "abysmal" or "awful" like everyone, including analysts like Skip Bayless, have made it out to be. He had some really bad games early in the season but a few of them were really good too.
    Last edited by Pockitt; 2017-01-07 at 06:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pockitt View Post
    Right. And that's why I said I was confused at first because QBR and passer rating are two different scales. When you said QBR my brain automatically assumed you were using the fallacious scale that ESPN made up - my bad. His combined average PASSER RATING for his first 10 games was 96.8. Again it wasn't up to Aaron Rodgers standards, but it wasn't "abysmal" or "awful" like everyone, including analysts like Skip Bayless, have made it out to be. He had some really bad games early in the season but a few of them were really good too.
    I agree, he wasn't terrible by any standards, but for comparison Ryan's average was 114.2 for that same stretch, and that’s including his worst game of the year. And it’s a rather small difference, but from these numbers I'm getting he was at 94.8 average for the first 4 games, 20 under Ryan. He ended number 4 for the year. I don’t think Rodgers is bad, or was even bad this year. My intention isn't to try and throw shade at him, but to shien a light on great Ryan has been. I just think Ryan was clearly so much better that there being some question seems rather odd to me.

I did a comparison of Rodgers 2014 NFL MVP season vs Ryan's this year and Ryan beat him in: CMP, CMP%, yards, Y/A, Y/C, Y/G, and rating. Rodgers that year had slightly better TD% and INT/INT% then Ryan this year otherwise was just worse, and yet he won. And it wasn’t even like he was the clear leader in a lot of categories that year. But this year we have someone with all of that. And the main point of debate being for Rodgers is he said he was going to win 6 games and then did it?

And yea as far as the passer or whatever rating I never use the ESPN stat, and haven’t seen anyone use it and just used either term to mean the same thing. But yea I sort of assumed they were the same thing my bad.
    Last edited by Faltemer; 2017-01-07 at 09:02 AM.

So I'm going to be travelling tomorrow (holidays and all) and will likely miss most if not all of the Lions-Hawks game, but my god we have to win this thing, if only to shut up the media who have been pouring on the disrespect thick and fast this past week. Don't know if I've ever seen a playoff team get this much shit in the years I've watched the NFL.
    That is usually a good sign when the hot take media doesn't take a team seriously. Denver was supposed to get blown out all 3 playoff games last year according to them.

Jeez I get a Hard-on watching Aaron Rodgers
    he makes room. and if he cannot make room he runs...

I saw a TV program about Aaron Rodgers on Australian TV.

He went to number 24 in the Draft and then Green Bay picked him

He stood in for the Great Green Bay Quarterback Brett Favre.

I like the Packers, they are awesome to watch.

I esp like this guy Clay Matthews. He looks like a guy that likes Metal. Iron Maiden, Metallica etc

Australia vs New Zealand Grid Iron game (its catching on Downunder, maybe a good place for ex NFL coaches)

Last edited by Blobfish; 2017-01-07 at 08:34 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    So I'm going to be travelling tomorrow (holidays and all) and will likely miss most if not all of the Lions-Hawks game, but my god we have to win this thing, if only to shut up the media who have been pouring on the disrespect thick and fast this past week. Don't know if I've ever seen a playoff team get this much shit in the years I've watched the NFL.
    You'd be the favourite if you were playing the Texans or Raiders (even if the Raiders are just fucked with injuries on 2 of the 3 most important positions) and I'd give you even odds against the Dolphins and Steelers. Steelers should be the better team, but you never know which Steelers team shows up. Lions-Steelers would be an entertaining shoot out, for sure.

It's kinda weird. I should trust the Texans, cause they have a good defense, but their offense is so so bad that I simply don't. I still think they win the first game today, but it's definitely not a gimme. Raiders lost their LT Penn for the game as well, and the last time he was out their running game just fell apart, which is the only thing that could have saved Cook. I just don;t see Cook not turning the ball over and producing enough points.

Quote Originally Posted by xskarma View Post
    You'd be the favourite if you were playing the Texans or Raiders (even if the Raiders are just fucked with injuries on 2 of the 3 most important positions) and I'd give you even odds against the Dolphins and Steelers. Steelers should be the better team, but you never know which Steelers team shows up. Lions-Steelers would be an entertaining shoot out, for sure.

It's kinda weird. I should trust the Texans, cause they have a good defense, but their offense is so so bad that I simply don't. I still think they win the first game today, but it's definitely not a gimme. Raiders lost their LT Penn for the game as well, and the last time he was out their running game just fell apart, which is the only thing that could have saved Cook. I just don;t see Cook not turning the ball over and producing enough points.
    I cant imagine they would be favorites vs the Texans considering the Lions lost to them earlier in the year. The Raiders are looking like the weakest team coming into the playoffs which sucks because they looked really strong during the regular season and I could have seen them having a good shot to go all the way. Steelers usually show up in the playoffs no matter what and their big three on offense are healthy. I wouldn't sleep on them. I think even with the Dolphins might be right, although the way the last three games have looked they might be dogs to everyone.

I dont put much faith in Cook, having watched his last game in College in a big time situation he looked hopeless.

The Unstoppable Force THE Bigzoman's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Prediction time!

Lions over Seahawks I smell an upset here. A depleted secondary + Stafford's heroics will make for a fun game. Of course, this could easily be wrong if Russell Willson balls out.

Packers over Giants Packers got hot at the right time and are at home. I see the Packers winning comfortably in all 3 phases.

Dolphins over Steelers Tired of the Pitt hype. Fact of the matter is that Mike Tomlin almost always plays down to lesser opponents not named the Bengals. He's not breaking that trend anytime soon.

Raiders over Texans Del Rio's defense will be up to the task, but will Conner Cook be? Well, he has Murray, Crabtree, Cooper, and one of the best offensive lines in football backing him up. He'll do enough to get the job done.
    Last edited by THE Bigzoman; 2017-01-07 at 03:02 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've waited years for today, then I look at our injuries and wish we could delay it a week... or five.

Quote Originally Posted by Faltemer View Post
    I agree, he wasn't terrible by any standards, but for comparison Ryan's average was 114.2 for that same stretch, and that’s including his worst game of the year. And it’s a rather small difference, but from these numbers I'm getting he was at 94.8 average for the first 4 games, 20 under Ryan. He ended number 4 for the year. I don’t think Rodgers is bad, or was even bad this year. My intention isn't to try and throw shade at him, but to shien a light on great Ryan has been. I just think Ryan was clearly so much better that there being some question seems rather odd to me.

I did a comparison of Rodgers 2014 NFL MVP season vs Ryan's this year and Ryan beat him in: CMP, CMP%, yards, Y/A, Y/C, Y/G, and rating. Rodgers that year had slightly better TD% and INT/INT% then Ryan this year otherwise was just worse, and yet he won. And it wasn’t even like he was the clear leader in a lot of categories that year. But this year we have someone with all of that. And the main point of debate being for Rodgers is he said he was going to win 6 games and then did it?

And yea as far as the passer or whatever rating I never use the ESPN stat, and haven’t seen anyone use it and just used either term to mean the same thing. But yea I sort of assumed they were the same thing my bad.
    Rodger's biggest thing in 2014 and one of the main reasons why he won MVP that year is because the Packers started off poorly then he got on his radio show, told his fans to "R-E-L-A-X", and then the Packers went on to win 9 straight while Rodgers had seven straight games where he threw for at least three touchdowns and no picks. It was a season very similar to this one. I've already agreed that Matt Ryan's having an outstanding year and he should get it but like I've said numerous times; it's not always about stats when it comes to winning MVP. Rodgers declaring that they'll run the table and proceeding to do it while putting up very MVP-like numbers in the process is something the committee looks for when voting. Sure great stats and a great record helps but its putting your team on your back and winning the most decisive football of the season when you say it can happen is what really makes people look at that player's value to their team.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Northern Goblin View Post
    I've waited years for today, then I look at our injuries and wish we could delay it a week... or five.
    Can imagine. Even just having Penn there would mean you can run the ball better which would be a load from Cook's plate.

The only upside I see for you guys is that if the Raiders defense shows up that both teams might struggle to get anything going on offense. Let's hope Khalil Mack feasts.

Quote Originally Posted by Pockitt View Post
    Rodgers declaring that they'll run the table and proceeding to do it while putting up very MVP-like numbers in the process is something the committee looks for when voting. Sure great stats and a great record helps but its putting your team on your back and winning the most decisive football of the season when you say it can happen is what really makes people look at that player's value to their team.
    This is silly to me, because if thats the case then him saying that is basically a win-win situation then and sets a terrible precedent. If he wins them all (Or even loses 1) he is in the same spot he is in now. If he doesn't nobody is going to bring it up unless his numbers are brock osweiler terrible, and he just moves onto next season. I dont get all the fuss about it. If saying you are going to win out, or get to playoffs from weeks 8-10 when you are in a badish spot and then you do is worth more then a boatload of stats before and during that period, then literally every player should just say that every year.

10+ Year Old Account
    As per Ian Rapoport, Russell Wilson plans to play without his knee brace today.

Deleted
    Just Wildcard and Divisional round for now

NFC:

Detroit at Seattle: Seattle. Seattle is in a slump, not in a coma.

Giants at Green Bay: Green Bay. On neutral ground, I'd give this one to NY, much better defense. In Lambeau Field Rodgers is going to hail mary it somehow.

Seattle at Atlanta: Atlanta. The longer this game stays close, the better Seattle's chances. However I don't think it will be close.

Green Bay at Dallas: Dallas. Don't trust the QB rookie in his first play-off game. Don't fully trust the RB rookie in his first play-off game. Don't really trust Garrett on this level. Still a reasonably complete team vs a flawed one and maybe homefield advantage - but I wouldn't be surprised if I see more cheeseheads than Cowboy hats.

AFC:

Oakland at Houston: Houston. Absolute toss-up depending on the rookie QB. After the injuries decimating the Raiders roster, similar teams with one having homefield advantage and a lot to prove after being mauled terribly in last year's wild card game.

Miami at Pittsburgh: Pittsburgh. Matt Moore or the other guy against the cold, the noise, the towels, Bell, Roethlisberger and Brown? Not going to happen unless Ajayi has a career day. More likely we see Suh stomping legs as soon as this quickly floats out of reach for the Phins in the third quarter or so.

Pittsburgh at KC: Pittsburgh. Not necessarily the best, but overall the closest, most interesting game of the first two playoff weekends. Wouldn't be surprised, if the Chiefs have a slightly better day than the Steelers on offense and defense, but lose it on a minor detail like clock management or a special teams blunder. Love Andy Reid, think he is underrated, but he needs to win a big one before I fully believe in KC.

Houston at New England: New England. Brady. Belichick. Pats defense. One of those three would suffice.

10+ Year Old Account
    Interesting bit of trivia. Regardless of results this weekend, the Cleveland Browns will be mathmatically eliminated from the 2017 playoffs.

10+ Year Old Account
    Whelp, Im gonna miss the Texans - Raiders game. Have fun ya'll.
    Last edited by Crissi; 2017-01-07 at 08:43 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Getting close to kickoff... I can't wait for these games to get rolling!
    Have to wait an extra 10 minutes. Starts at 4:35 pm Eastern (instead of the more usual 4:25).

10+ Year Old Account
    Here we go!!!!! Woke up 3 minutes ago, so I'll probably fall asleep halfway through. xD