View Poll Results: Is this jacket worth it?

Voters
213. This poll is closed
  • Yes

94 44.13%
  • No

119 55.87%
Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yvaelle View Post
    Wow even the wording is virtually identical....

- - - Updated - - -

Nylon and Teflon are probably the most standard - the key is really just the tightness of the weave - things that breathe also let wind in - so it's a bit of a trade-off.
    To be fair it was a different jacket. Plus look at the difference in poll numbers compared to last time. Way more people think a 1000$ jacket is worth it this time around.

Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    Because you only notice the ones with ways and means? Nevermind the ohter 9 guys layering a few hoodies they got from Goodwill for a few $
    I only saw them on universities so there's that...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    It's not to say that it isn't good, but you can probably find ones just as good for half the price.
    Good maybe but are they stylish and light as a Canada Goose jacket or are they incredibly heavy.

I wouldn't buy one, but hey I once spent that much on a LEGO model, so...
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by CptEgo View Post
    The difference is that a Canada Goose will last 15 years. They really are amazing quality, you can not not get similar for $100 like you say. Personally though, I agree that it's too much to spend for a jacket.
    Any normal $100 jacket will probably last at least 5 years if not longer in the same conditions. Once it wears out, buy another. Do that 3 times and you've had a quality jacket for the same amount of time and saved $700. They might be nice, but there's no justifying that price tag unless you're climbing Everest or something along those lines.

I'm really surprised at the results of this poll. 1000$ for a jacket is completely insane. Just think about how much work you'd have to do to make that much money. IF you're paying any amount of income tax and even making 20 $ an hour, you're basically working a week and a day just for a jacket primarily for its fashion value.

Do yourself a favor and start working on a down payment for a mortgage.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiricine View Post
    I'm really surprised at the results of this poll. 1000$ for a jacket is completely insane. Just think about how much work you'd have to do to make that much money. IF you're paying any amount of income tax and even making 20 $ an hour, you're basically working a week and a day just for a jacket primarily for its fashion value.

Do yourself a favor and start working on a down payment for a mortgage.
    I think a few people were caught by the thread title having the question reversed from the poll question.

You could probably order a replica of a jacket like that from china or Korea for cheap. I bought myself a leather jacket but it was waste. I never feel cold enough to wear it even in the winter time.

Quote Originally Posted by tailswipe View Post
    i think a few people were caught by the thread title having the question reversed from the poll question.
    i just looked at it even i was mislead

Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    To be fair it was a different jacket. Plus look at the difference in poll numbers compared to last time. Way more people think a 1000$ jacket is worth it this time around.
    Probably because plenty of people didn't read the question. Putting the other question in the poll than in the title of the thread is kinda foolish move.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by IIamaKing View Post
    No it doesnt.

Coats like the one linked are what they were in the Antarctic and similar places. Some thermals and a fleece are not keeping you warm in neg 20s.
    Well they do... you have different version of them ( different fabrics) , but when you buy them they should tell you till what degree these are supposed to be used in.
    you have thermo clothing that only goes to barely 0 degrees or for the best ones ( that i have seen they are marked to -25 degrees ) .
    I got these thermo clothing i can guarantee it works till -15 ( and i was sweating in it ) . The only downside of it is that a fleece isn't waterproof.

Dreadlord
    7+ Year Old Account
    I mean it's your choice, but for me anything above 50 for clothes is too much, besides shoes.

15+ Year Old Account
    Depends how much you earn?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mitters View Post
    I mean it's your choice, but for me anything above 50 for clothes is too much, besides shoes.
    Where on earth do you buy jackets for 50 bucks?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Eazy View Post
    Stop doing the same thread every year for fuck sake.

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...acket-worth-it
    Ha, that's funny! My first reply was to get a Nobis jacket in stead

I wouldn't pay 1k for a jacket, thats absurd in my books. 1k, would pay my rent for two months, fill my cupboards, pay my bills and leave me with change to take my other half to dinner.

But its all perspective, one of the locals in our town is quite high up in Ford, he had dozens of shirts at 300GBP a pop, buys multiple cars a year, one of which is a 4X4, which he has the interior cut made around him, to his body shape and liking, when you have that sort of money, 1k for a coat is nothing.

10+ Year Old Account
    No. Not if you have the disposable income.
    My wife has several Chloé and Chanel bags that were at least twice as much.
    Rudimentary creatures of blood and flesh. You touch my mind, fumbling in ignorance, incapable of understanding.
    You exist because we allow it, and you will end because we demand it.

Sovereign
    Mass Effect

Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    I lived in AK for many years, four of them in Fairbanks where temps can get extremely low. I've also been on hunting trips where you're really exposed to the elements, and when a winter coat really gets tested. I call bullshit on that article you linked. You can find a completely adequate coat for much less than a $1000 and it can be just as good. The costs mentioned there are mostly you paying for a label; a brand name. Are they good coats? Yeah, they are, but you can get the same quality in less expensive ones.

Hell, not even the Army issued winter coat (made for staying out in the elements) is $1000, and that's really good quality.

Also, a very important thing to remember when living in cold areas is layering. You don't just throw on a shirt and jacket and call it good. COLD - C: Keep it Clean; O: avoid Overdressing; L: wear clothing Loose and in layers; D: keep clothing Dry.
    I grew up in Alaska and lived in Chicago during undergrad and a couple of years after. The article was about Canada Goose and I don't own the jacket personally. I do know that I have had a $400 North Face parka for the last eight years after owning a bunch of cheaper coats at less than half that price point, of various brands (including Columbia) and this coat looks and feels the same that it did when I first purchased it. It's absolutely worth every penny I paid for it. A coat that's like brand new after 8 years?

In my experience with coats, you get what you pay for, although there are some overpriced coats out there. I've only heard good things about the brand. If it's anything like my North Face jacket, it will likely last you a decade or longer. I wouldn't be surprised if I got another 8 years out of this parka, at least.

Layering and wearing proper clothing underneath a coat is important, but it is no substitute for a good coat.

Quote Originally Posted by Eazy View Post
    Stop doing the same thread every year for fuck sake.

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...acket-worth-it
    He's shilling for the company that sells jackets for six time what they are worth.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

I saw the title and was going to say yes, but then clicked and saw the pics and changed my mind. A nice stylish jacket that won't go out of style and will get years of use is definitely worth 1k, but something purely functional that can be had for a fraction of the cost without the label is not...

Dreadlord
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dangg View Post
    Depends how much you earn?

- - - Updated - - -

Where on earth do you buy jackets for 50 bucks?
    By waiting for sales, I got mine 3 years ago for like 35 bucks