Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    If you put all the ingredients into a bowl, yeah it is over priced. However, you're kind of paying for presentations too, so it is a luxury item.
    When I get sushi, I normally get the ones I feel like I could not easily do at home, like eel.

Other than some of the meats, sushi really isn't too expensive to make at home. Even if you're lazy like my self and just put the same ingredients into a bowl.

Deleted
    You pay for not only the presentation but also the craft behind it. It's pretty hard to make sushi. Have you tried it before? Takes me like hours to make some.

Quote Originally Posted by DaGhostDS View Post
    60$ and you have enough of those items for 150-200$ of sushi in a shop

Tuna steak is probably the most overpriced fish you can get, but damn its good.
    I'm not sure how it is in other cities/countries... But in my city in the USA, we have a few Sushi Bars. You pay a fixed price (They usually ranged from $29.99 - $39.99) and can eat all the Sushi you want. It's also *very* high quality Sushi, and my god is it mouthwatering delicious.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Seiko Sora View Post
    Now I want eel
    Don't eat eel. It's red listed. Same with all the tuna at this point. So please, don't eat em. I would love for eels to keep existing.

10+ Year Old Account
    i prefer deep fried calamari myself. preferably the draenei.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

Quote Originally Posted by Khaza-R View Post
    Besides what's the alternative? Buying tuna steaks, sushi rice, nori and veggies yourself? You would probably spend $60+ easily
    People need to learn how to cook and actually buy the food they cook god damn lol. If you spend $60 for that, you have enough for at least 16 rolls or more. You only pay for getting it done, sushi is not that hard to make. Sure its more time consuming than eating hamburger helper every day, but its not super expensive either.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Laqweeta View Post
    Absolutely this 100%.

If you go to Outback Steakhouse you're going to get a DELICIOUS burger.
    If you go to McDonalds you're going to get a sloppy, dry burger thrown together in under 45 seconds.

$17 vs 0.99 cents :3
    apples to oranges. one is a restaurant/steakhouse. another is a fast food chain.
    one could argue steakhouses are in a category of their own since they are typically more expensive than restaurants.
    there's also the fact that we are entering a fish crisis where fish may become overfished and certain species may go extinct in the next 50 years.
    Last edited by breadisfunny; 2017-01-07 at 08:43 PM.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.

Quote Originally Posted by Ouch View Post
    You can just buy a god damn sushi mat and do it yourself lol. I had a coworker stunned at how often i had sushi for launch at work. How expansive that must have been!! Wait whats that a roll of sushi is 5 cent of rice over a 5 cent sheet of nuri. 30 cent of avocado and another 5 cent of cucumber. About 1 bucks of salmon you can fit in the roll. Wow! Its expansive when people are lazy.
    Do you know of a good tutorial or recipe I could use to learn to make sushi? I've honestly never thought of making my own sushi but I love the stuff, would have it all the time if I could make it for myself.

A good sushi restaurant in Japan will have sushi that you don't know what the heck it is.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by BeerWolf View Post
    Foods from abroad have always been overpriced...

An indian dish costing €10 here would be €~1 from the country's origin for example.
    no its not overpriced your paying for overhead, labor, food costs and convenience.
    it would be much less there because they can make it fresh with the ingredients close by where they have to ship them across the sea otherwise.

10+ Year Old Account
    60$ and you have enough of those items for 150-200$ of sushi in a shop

Tuna steak is probably the most overpriced fish you can get, but damn its good, same thing with crab not to be mixed with Pollock which a lot of bad shop tend to call "crab" and sell the same price, which is bs.

P.s. There is also the amount of skill needed to make them (very) fast, appreciate what they do, it take an hour for the average person to make 6 rolls, for them it take minutes.
    How difficult is it really? I watched a few youtube tutorials and it seems doable.

Quote Originally Posted by Ifeanychukwu View Post
    Do you know of a good tutorial or recipe I could use to learn to make sushi? I've honestly never thought of making my own sushi but I love the stuff, would have it all the time if I could make it for myself.
    https://www.youtube.com/user/MakeSushi1

This guy has a decent channel even for beginner presentation. It just gets easier as you try like anything else. I can do about a dozen nice tuna rolls in about 5 minutes, it used to take me that for like 2 rolls lol.
    Last edited by minteK917; 2017-01-07 at 08:46 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Creamy Flames View Post
    Don't eat eel. It's red listed. Same with all the tuna at this point. So please, don't eat em. I would love for eels to keep existing.
    I avoid "wild" eel, we release 40% of juvenile eels caught for farming
    Last edited by Medusa Cascade; 2017-01-07 at 08:52 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ifeanychukwu View Post
    Well Nori usually have the "steps" to make a roll, you just need to find good fish, which is the hardest depending on where you live, rice vinegar, sushi rice and the other ingredient you might like in them.

Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    How difficult is it really? I watched a few youtube tutorials and it seems doable.
    You watched a video.. try it yourself first lol

Well Nori usually have the "steps" to make a roll, you just need to find good fish, which is the hardest depending on where you live, rice vinegar, sushi rice and the other ingredient you might like in them.
    Rice vinegar was actually the hardest to find for me. I had to get it online, thankfully its vinegar so i got enough for a few years lol.

Deleted

http://www.wikihow.com/Make-a-California-Roll

California roll is a lot easier to make than sushi and it tastes similar. It's easy because you don't have to be so perfect.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Seems pretty reasonable to me. Seafood is expensive depending on where you live. Some places have a premium than others.

I went to dinner alone Thursday night; cup of soup, half slab of BBQ ribs w/ baked potato and a diet coke was ~$40 before tip.

Maki-sushi, specialty and hand rolls, are mainly trendy crap. The inclusion of more western ingredients like avocado and the use of mayonnaise is an abomination to many purists. Cooked teriyaki beef, tempura shrimp, imitation fish, cream cheese, etc - that's not sushi! If you just want a bunch western ingredients slathered in weird sauces, then yes that's too much money. Suckers are welcome to throw away their money.

Sashimi is thinly sliced fish. Depending on the variety there's no reason that it shouldn't be expensive as most is line caught and requires special handling. Nigiri-sushi while still including rice as a base is mainly about the various delicious pieces of fish laid over the top. This is a step away from sashimi and its expense is justified because the star of the show should still be the fish. The fish is the whole bloody point of sushi. And sashimi and nigiri are 90% of what you want to be eating in a good restaurant with a decent chef.

Tekka and kappa maki, that are tightly rolled and don't have too much rice, can be included in a proper sushi meal as a kind of side dish - something to have when not cleansing your palette with ginger or drinking sake or beer. The kings of maki are probably ikura (salmon roe) and uni (sea urchin roe). Ikura with quail egg is sublime. Uni is a whole other world of pleasure, but it must be very fresh.

When I look at those specialty rolls I just sort of roll my eyes. That junk is for people that literally don't know any better than to have it. Such diners are better served just actually having the steak, burgers, pizza, pasta they wanted in the first place.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    Sure but is gluttony really a good solution. I have my doubts.
    Well that green Dragon you want can easily satisfy a complete family. So not sure what's so expensive - or do you eat that much and don't care for a healthy lifestyle?
    Last edited by mmocd6d7b58413; 2017-01-07 at 09:06 PM.